Project: Widebody - 02 Conversion

kreh said:
Seriously, how long do you intend to drag this project out? Can it really take that long? Love to see you finish and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Good luck.

If it was just a mater if fitting a pre fabricated body kit to the car, that wouldn't take long at all. But because there were so many pieces that had to be made from scratch it takes a bit. The process of fabricating composite parts takes three step (build mock up part, cast mold, cast final part). Also, I only have a few hour a night to work on it. Believe me, if it could have been done faster, it would have been. I want to drive it. Especially now that the weather is starting to get nice....:wink:

VRoooM, I have to say that what you are doing and have done to this point has been amazing!!! Maybe you should start thinking about you're own shop class!!:biggrin:

A truly inspiring project and one to remember when finished.

Again great work Jeff.

Can't wait.

I've been playing with some diferent roof mount am/fm antenna ideas. I think I like this shark fin antenna (just came today). This is a real one, not a dummy. What do you guys think? The roof panels will be painted red to match the car and antenna.

DSCF0463sm.jpg

DSCF0464sm.jpg

Jeff

demigod said:
It doesn't look like it flows with the lines of the car to me. But thats JMO.

That's what I was kinda thinking. I do think it looks better than a plain whip roof antenna. I figure I'll have to wait until the car is back from the body shop to make a final decision...

I say you do it just like it is on the Saleen S7. That one looks like an S2000 located top center but 3/4 back from front edge.

just take any old antenna and lay it in the trunk, zip tied to the rear wall by your tail lights... you will get better reception like that then the s2000 or the shark

Vroom - How are you impressed with the fitment of the kit? I was under the impression you have the HP Motorsports version of the Sorcery kit. Is the fitment doable or does it require a lot of fine tuning and chopping to make it fit right?

Pacemaker Kid89 said:
Can you get a pic of the front, and from the passenger side 3/4 view?

here is is
DSCF0465sm.jpg

01blacks4 said:
just take any old antenna and lay it in the trunk, zip tied to the rear wall by your tail lights... you will get better reception like that then the s2000 or the shark

Actualy the shark fin antenna is a tri-winded piece. AM/FM/Satalite. Its a new prototype that I was trying to work into the car.

da3dalus said:
Vroom - How are you impressed with the fitment of the kit? I was under the impression you have the HP Motorsports version of the Sorcery kit. Is the fitment doable or does it require a lot of fine tuning and chopping to make it fit right?

The kit is very good. Just a few minor issues. most of which were just re-trimming the edges.

Jeff

Vroom, is the front windshield custom glass?
Looks a bit different, but very nicely done.
Smooth transitions.

len3.8 said:
Vroom, is the front windshield custom glass?
Looks a bit different, but very nicely done.
Smooth transitions.

It's factory, but very dirty :smile: . The only thing is that the upper molding was removed to fit the roof panel.

Jeff

You guys have way too much time (and money) on your hands to be doing all this! haha ;)

Keep the pics coming!

I have been following this thread for a while, and VRooM you really are the f-ing man! Honestly, are you married? Because my wife would never let me spend that much time in the garage... totally jealous of not only the time you have to spend on the car but also of your skills.

In total awe of how much work, time and effort has gone in so far. Count me amoung your long list of fans.

Good luck, can't wait to see the final product.

My $0.02 on the antenna,

Why have one in the first place? I think any antenna looks like an add on, why no just do without. Hate to screw up the beautiful lines you have created with an antenna. JMO.

Hiroshima said:
I have been following this thread for a while, and VRooM you really are the f-ing man! Honestly, are you married? Because my wife would never let me spend that much time in the garage... totally jealous of not only the time you have to spend on the car but also of your skills.

In total awe of how much work, time and effort has gone in so far. Count me amoung your long list of fans.

Good luck, can't wait to see the final product.

My $0.02 on the antenna,

Why have one in the first place? I think any antenna looks like an add on, why no just do without. Hate to screw up the beautiful lines you have created with an antenna. JMO.

It helps that he works out of his house (always home!)

It really is not as bad as it seems. He spends a few hours each night, after his little one goes to bed. Also it is spread over the entire winter. He is quick and efficient with his work though. Also the biggest point to make is that HE HAS NEVER DONE A CAR BEFORE! He is NOT a body guy, his background is in making speaker boxes out of FRP and C/F. He has extended his skill into a brilliant piece of work.

Actually, I've done two cars before. A VW Ralley GTI (syncro) and a VW Corrado (gray market). But that was many years ago. I've also done complete interior refabs' on quite a few cars and trucks. I guess the trick is knowing how to work with composites. You can prety much build anything if your not afraid to try,fail and learn. Guys like Peter at Downforce is a perfect example. Every part he comes out with is prototyped, molded and built in the same way. I'm sure he started with small projects and now his stuff is highly sought after...

The car goes into the body shop on Monday. My wife is very happy about that :smile: I basically work on the car 3 hours a night, 4 days a week and one weekend day. Getting to the home stretch now. I hope the body shop can turn it around in 6 weeks or less.

I'll take some final pics before it goes to the shop.

Jeff

Back