power steering

read in the faq that in 1995 ''Power Steering becomes standard for Manuals as well as Automatics''.does this mean that all pre 95 didn't have power steering or just certain models.and how bad are the none power steering to drive at slow speed like in parking lots.long time ago i had a 1986 prelude and swore i would never own a none power steering car again

Automatics only had P/S before that year. All US models, except the 50 Zanardi ones had it after. They are not awful without P/S, but having owned both, I much prefer the P/S myself.

freeon said:
read in the faq that in 1995 ''Power Steering becomes standard for Manuals as well as Automatics''.does this mean that all pre 95 didn't have power steering or just certain models.

Shumdit said:
Automatics only had P/S before that year. All US models, except the 50 Zanardi ones had it after. They are not awful without P/S, but having owned both, I much prefer the P/S myself.

100% correct.

However, these facts ONLY refer to the US market models. Some other countries got the power steering on manuals in '93. You have not specified where you live.

i live in canada but do plan to import one from the states when i buy one

I have a '91 with a 5-speed and manual steering. I don't mind driving it at all without PS. It has a great feel on the road. Remember that you don't have the weight of an engine sitting on the front wheels either. I weight 175 lbs, 5'10" and average build..........so there you have it.

Get yer self one!!!!!

Brad

i love mine with no power steering having previous owned a 88 Lotus Esprit Turbo that had no power steering as well i feel that u get more of a performance driving feel especially around corners its pure driver no assists
for parking lots i could see it being a problem but then again im never in a parking lot with the NSX

kaz1116 said:
i love mine with no power steering having previous owned a 88 Lotus Esprit Turbo that had no power steering as well i feel that u get more of a performance driving feel especially around corners its pure driver no assists
for parking lots i could see it being a problem but then again im never in a parking lot with the NSX

The P/S equipped cars only have P/S at low speeds, so the steering feel at higher speeds is the same as the non P/S cars to me, at least from what I can remember about the feel of my 91. The 91 did have a little different handling feel, being a coupe on the OEM 15/16 wheels with Yokos, but I rarely ever drive my 97 with the roof on, so that is likely part of the difference.

Shumdit said:
The P/S equipped cars only have P/S at low speeds, so the steering feel at higher speeds is the same as the non P/S cars to me, at least from what I can remember about the feel of my 91. The 91 did have a little different handling feel, being a coupe on the OEM 15/16 wheels with Yokos, but I rarely ever drive my 97 with the roof on, so that is likely part of the difference.

Any idea at what speed the power steering cuts off on the cars that have it?

28mph,but don't quote me on that #:wink:

Call me a P*ssy if you want, but I like my power steering. It let's me droop my hand over the steering wheel and steer with my wrist while I cruise the local middle schools looking for a date.:biggrin:

Shumdit said:
Call me a P*ssy if you want, but I like my power steering. It let's me droop my hand over the steering wheel and steer with my wrist while I cruise the local middle schools looking for a date.:biggrin:

Middle school girls are way too old for me!

ahh I'm just hatin cuz I want an '02+

I have a 1991 with no P/S and it's great. Less weight, and you don't have to worry about another mechanical thing going out.

I had an S2000 with EPS and I didn't like it one bit. I don't know if it "cut out" like the NSX does, but it was way too sloppy for me.

I had a 1998 ITR with no P/S and that felt good too.

I'm 5'6 and 140 lbs. so if I can handle doing a 5 point turn in a tight parking lot, anyone else on this board can!

skafia said:
I have a 1991 with no P/S and it's great. Less weight, and you don't have to worry about another mechanical thing going out.

I'm 5'6 and 140 lbs. so if I can handle doing a 5 point turn in a tight parking lot, anyone else on this board can!

I agree!!!!

You don't need it...+ it helps with bicep definition between workouts.

Seriously, Its not that difficult to turn without it.

skafia said:

I had an S2000 with EPS and I didn't like it one bit. I don't know if it "cut out" like the NSX does, but it was way too sloppy for me.

I had a 1998 ITR with no P/S and that felt good too.

I have both! A '91 and a '98. People who say that without power steering is better don't know what they are talking about. In fact if you have a look all those people are just defending the fact that their car doesn't have power steering!

Extra weight? Yeah right... :rolleyes:

Mechanical failure? I've never heard of one failing in 15 years... So that is just another poor excuse...

Thirdly, how can you compare different cars steering and make a judgement based on irrelevant information?

Having BOTH myself... I'll say this:

1. Q. Do you NEED the electric power steering?
A. NO

2. Q. Is it nice to have?
A. YES!

Think of it like power windows... Sure you can wind them down yourself... But it's nice to be able to press a button and let the car do it with less "effort" from me

The NSX EPS is a fantastic system! The only time you notice it is at low parking speeds. There is no loss of feedback or feel at speed.

I used to hate power assisted steering... Now I love it! The NSX EPS is so good that I understand why other manufacturers are scrambling to develop this technology that Honda invented.

Shumdit said:

dtl_predator_again_060913.ss_h.jpg
:biggrin:

Back