Paypal fees

Re: Paypal fees*

Because people don't realize that they should just increase the price of their item by 3%. Or, they are just cheap and don't want to lose $3.00 for every $100.oo the item is being sold for.

I never charge Paypal fee's as Doc L said people just don't seem smart enough to just absorb the fee in the price.

Because people don't realize that they should just increase the price of their item by 3%. Or, they are just cheap and don't want to lose $3.00 for every $100.oo the item is being sold for.

I agree 100 percent...A nice round number is so much easier to do. I always have my part boxed and ready to go with a shipping quote and paypal fees included it's really not that hard to figure out people. Still waiting for a part bought and paid three weeks ago on Prime. Still no response or tracking number :mad: Some people !

I really dislike seller charge Paypal fees to buyer when they are using the service for a purpose.
I'd say BAN all sellers that charge Paypal fees on Prime. That would discourage that rediculuous 3% PP fee (I guaranteed it)

I never charge paypal fees. I think its just nickle-and-diming amongst friends.

;)

I believe paypal fee is up to the seller and buyer to deal with. How can you ban the paypal fee of user and buyer who is OKAY with it?? SO SHOULD NSXPRIME START CHARGING EVERY MEMBER A YEARLY FEE FOR USING PRIME SINCE PRIME HAVE MORE PEOPLE USING THE SITE THAN DONATING TO KEEP THE SITE UP AND RUNNING??? If you don't want to pay the fee, GO BUY IT NEW! NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO PAY FOR THE PARTS AND FEE THE SELLER IS TRYING TO SELL.

I really think prime should start charing fees to buyer and seller for using the specific topic???

Whatever is it, it's only a discussion. No foul play to seller or buyer who agreed or disagreed!!

Last edited:

I believe paypal fee is up to the seller and buyer to deal with. How can you ban the paypal fee of user and buyer who is OKAY with it?? SO SHOULD NSXPRIME START CHARGING EVERY MEMBER A YEARLY FEE FOR USING PRIME SINCE PRIME HAVE MORE PEOPLE USING THE SITE THAN DONATING TO KEEP THE SITE UP AND RUNNING??? If you don't want to pay the fee, GO BUY IT NEW! NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO PAY FOR THE PARTS AND FEE THE SELLER IS TRYING TO SELL.

Wow,

Anyways, I don't think is fair for the buyer to pay the manage fee of an account that I benefit using, I am not that cheap .

-MSR

Many in this thread seem to assume Paypal is only a benefit to the seller. That's not really the case. Some examples:

Suppose buyer wants parts shipped immediately - should seller ship without having received payment? No. So shipment will be delayed the time it takes to mail payment and have the check clear. If buyer is willing to do overnight mailing of the payment, buyer has to pay $11+ for that service. Using Paypal, buyer gets the benefit of instant receipt of payment and possible immediate shipment.

Buyer is saved the hassle and expense of going to the bank or elsewhere to get a cashier's check or money order.

Buyer gets the benefit of being able to later dispute the charge through Paypal. Try that with a cashier's check that's already been cashed.

Using Paypal for the seller isn't "all that and a bag of chips." Paypal charges me about 3.5% for Paypal to receive the money. If I want to get my money from Paypal, I have to request it and wait 3-4 days for it to be transferred to my bank account. Yet when I buy something with Paypal, they don't wait 3-4 days to withdraw from my bank account. So in addition to the 3.5% on transfers, Paypal is making money on the float time.

Like others have admitted in this thread, some sellers apparently inflate the price of their part thereby absorbing the Paypal fee. Is that any more noble than just specifying the price of the part and the fees separately?

The same tactic is done with shipping costs. Obviously, there's a difference in shipping something one state away versus across the whole continent. The person selling a part "shipped" is aware of the risk of getting a far-away buyer and most likely inflates the total shipped price to account for the potential high shipping cost. If the seller lucks out and gets a nearby buyer, the seller just makes more. In that case, it's the nearby buyer that gets screwed.

There are two sides to every coin.

Last edited:

When I see inidividuals list something at:

Cost + shipping + PP fees...

I avoid them because I think it's pathetic. I even see VENDORS do this, which I think is a pretty sad practice as I'm a business owner myself. I can understand the cost + shipping, or even just a flat cost which includes shipping, but to bother adding another few bucks because of the fee - just increase your price from the beginning and call it a day.

/rant.

Well it depends on the item condition and type, there are items that will be OK if its price is shown as $*.* shipped, and assume the Paypal and shipping fees are included but there are other types of items where the weight and actual cost of the item needs to specify the brake down of the actual costs to clarify and determinate fees.

When I see inidividuals list something at:

Cost + shipping + PP fees...

I avoid them because I think it's pathetic. I even see VENDORS do this, which I think is a pretty sad practice as I'm a business owner myself. I can understand the cost + shipping, or even just a flat cost which includes shipping, but to bother adding another few bucks because of the fee - just increase your price from the beginning and call it a day.

/rant.

What if you're selling a $3,000 set of Volk wheels? That's a $100+ paypal fee - more than just a few extra bucks.

Anyway, it's 6 or one-half dozen, it's just semantics. As long as the total price is disclosed and is agreeable to both buyer and seller, why should anyone care how it's structured?

I am not that cheap .

-MSR

Then why bring up *paypal fee* topic...... I don't get it???? All I'm saying is that everyone (seller and buyer) benefit from this site and what so ever parts you are buying, you're trying to avoid new price from vendor. You pay a lesser price on a quality you can trust and know. :biggrin:

Sometimes when I sell something I forgot to make allowance for packing and handling fees, like in delicate item like electronics, breakable items and other stuff that needs to be professional (or close to professional) packed.
You lose sometimes when an item you sell don't charge enough to cover for everything that is involved, a lot of people don't like hidden charges.

it is against paypals policy (that you agree to when you sign up for paypal) for sellors to pass on the fee to the buyer.

This is no different than a retailer paying credit card fees. Any smart business owner should be well aware of their credit card fees and its implication to their profits. So a lot of businesses adjust their prices to compensate for those fees.

What many people are forgetting here is that a seller here might be selling something and mention that there are Paypal fees should that person pay using Paypal. Now if you lived within pickup range, you could pay that seller in cash and save on fees. Similar to how a lot of gas stations have a cash price and a credit card price when gas prices are high. Or if you could wait and mail that vendor some form of payment and it clears, you could also avoid the fees.

I agree with NSX-Files, 6 one way, half a dozen the other... I'm all about the bottom line.

I charge the fees since there are many local so cal NSXers that may pick it up. It's also difficult to "include" it into the $ of the item since most people will offer less than your asking. For those who say it's "nickel and diming", FWIW, a $2k coilover or $5k SC has some significant fees. Regardless, it is up to the buyer's to ignore the ad or make an offer taking into account the fees. I don't have a problem listening to an offer even if it's $xxx SHIPPED/PAYPAL fees.

Jeff

If SOS decided to start charging paypal fees, I assure you they'd lose a ton of business. I also bet that you'd be complaining abotu it also. I take every major credit card at my office because I don't care how much of a percentage is taken out. I get my money at the time services are rendered and it's always better to have money in the bank.

it is against paypals policy (that you agree to when you sign up for paypal) for sellors to pass on the fee to the buyer.

There it is! That's the whole point!

If someone is going to enter into an business agreement under false pretenses, put their name to it and then purposely and knowingly violate that agreement you already know the character of the person to be deceitful and dishonest.

Any way you put it, it's wrong and they know what they're doing is wrong right from the beginning and they don't care becasue it puts a buck in their pocket.

When I see +PP fee, I see a advertisement of a person of poor character whose word is worthless.

A business transaction that involves PayPal is at the least a three party agreement. You're nuts to enter into such a transaction where going in one is deceiving the other going in. If someone is dishonest to the other for 3% how will they with you on the larger sum?

Your profit and your selling price is yours to set as you see fit at time of offering but when you break a business contract, with a bank or financial company to structure that profit, it is wrong.

Last edited:

There it is! That's the whole point!

If someone is going to enter into an business agreement under false pretenses, put their name to it and then purposely and knowingly violate that agreement you already know the character of the person to be deceitful and dishonest.

Any way you put it, it's wrong and they know what they're doing is wrong right from the beginning and they don't care becasue it puts a buck in their pocket.

When I see +PP fee, I see a advertisement of a person of poor character whose word is worthless.

A business transaction that involves PayPal is at the least a three party agreement. You're nuts to enter into such a transaction where going in one is deceiving the other going in. If someone is dishonest to the other for 3% how will they with you on the larger sum?

Your profit and your selling price is yours to set as you see fit at time of offering but when you break a business contract, with a bank or financial company to structure that profit, it is wrong.

"And the Oscar for most overly dramatic performance goes to... "

So all those people who sell stuff on Prime and give the option to pay with Paypal have "poor character" in your opinion? And even though those sellers specifically disclose the amount to use Paypal, they are "deceptive and dishonest?"

It would be tempting to go through the classifieds and make a list of all the sellers who make Paypal an option but at the buyer's expense. Then we'll know who all the dirtbags are (according to you). I would bet there's an abundance of long-time Primers on that list that are well-respected around here.

What if you're selling a $3,000 set of Volk wheels? That's a $100+ paypal fee - more than just a few extra bucks.

Anyway, it's 6 or one-half dozen, it's just semantics. As long as the total price is disclosed and is agreeable to both buyer and seller, why should anyone care how it's structured?

how about: asking $3100 for the set of wheels???

Back