NSX / Z06 / Lotus --- Which would you pick??????

I think the Z06 has some really nice selling/owning points, but I cannot speak for an NSX since I've never owned one. I have no doubt that the level of quality/fitment and feel of the NSX is superior to the Z06 just from my limited test drives of the NSX through the years. However, the Z06 has the following attributes, which really appealed to me after owning higher strung and older Japanese cars (mainly Supras):

1. Newer, I could afford one with a warranty (and extended it when it lapsed).
2. Very light for it's power to weight and power to grip...right off the showroom floor.
3. Surprisingly economical. 21 mpg mixed, 28 mpg highway are numbers I've actually attained.
4. Doesn't beg for mods, except for shifter and seats.
5. Big community with lots of aftermarket support, if you want to personalize the car.

People keep mentioning how common they are, but in my area this only seems to apply to the base coupes and convertibles. I don't frequently run into other Z06s, so it still feels fairly rare to me when I'm out driving around.

The interior quality and overall fitment is certainly not up to Japanese standards, but the car has won me over in a lot of other ways. I'm definitely very pleased with my Z06, and still own 2 Japanese cars for regular commuting. I don't have much interest in American vehicles except for the true "halo" types of performance cars. :smile:

Last edited:
We all have opinions.
I loved the way the Lotus handled, braked, visceral feeling, but it is very impractical with the top on, and no one sees you on the roadway. One more plus is you never see them around.
The Vette, well, it has speed for days, big brakes, and is very capable on the track, but you see one every day. Also, typical Chev interior is a turnoff and the seats have the least support out of these three.
The NSX is the vest of both worlds, a little of this a little of that. Great weight distr., daily driver friendly, fun to drive, not as fast as the Z06 but quick none the less. And not too many of them around.

I wanted the Elise, but it was impractical, got the NSX and modded it to my liking.
Only way you will really know which you should choose is go test drive each. I mean open em up, see what you like and dislike. Sleep on it. Then you'll know. Good luck, they're all worthy machines. :smile:

I haven't met an Elise owner that wasn't either snooty (these folks think that they are God's gift to the road for having the lightest car on the road) or propellor-heads and pocket protector geeks.

With that in mind, I don't want that stigma.

It's bad enough to hear women comment that men with performance cars are attempting to compensate for a lack thereof in the crotch dept.........

Nice input, that's semi-true. But holy odometer Batman! That is ridiculous for a wankel!
Sorry just had to comment on the sig, that's really impressive.

I haven't met an Elise owner that wasn't either snooty (these folks think that they are God's gift to the road for having the lightest car on the road) or propellor-heads and pocket protector geeks.

With that in mind, I don't want that stigma.

It's bad enough to hear women comment that men with performance cars are attempting to compensate for a lack thereof in the crotch dept.........

Nothing like a good old stereotype to close out the day. C'mon, give me a break, I've met plenty of snooty owners in every car club I've been in. You'll find that anywhere.

Now that we're past that, as you can see from my sig I've had the NSX and currently the Elise. Love the car, but it has got to go. Waaaaaayyy too much attention. I never thought that it would be this bad, but it consistently takes me 20+ minutes to get out of the gas station. On four-lane roads, cars ride in your blind spot to take pictures. I've nearly been in countless wrecks from people not paying attention to what they're doing. Even had one turn himself around in the middle of the intersection while doing a burnout. I've had it since President's Day (Feb 19th), and I'm already set on selling it. I find myself leaving it in the garage because I don't want to deal with the attention.

Pros:
Hands down the best handling vehicle I've ever driven.
Also the most gratifying vehicle I've ever driven.

Cons:
Attention
Practicality
Entry and Exit (I don't mind it, but everyone else does)

By choosing the Elise, you get a truly better driving experience in spirited driving.........your greatest sacrifice is comfort. By choosing the Z06, you get more power.........your greatest sacrifice is quality. By choosing the NSX, you get the greatest all around car there is.

Joe

It is a much less frequent experience to see another NSX when compared to the corvette; your arm will never get tired from waving to other NSXs unless you attend NSXPO. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Or unless you wave at the old men in vettes that wave at you because they think your driving a vette!! That was always amusing. :biggrin:

Or unless you wave at the old men in vettes that wave at you because they think your driving a vette!! That was always amusing. :biggrin:

I never wave back when an old man driving a vette waves, I give him the piece sign. :biggrin:

There is an exception taken for a woman driving a vette who waves; then I politely wave, give a thumbs-up and a smile. :rolleyes:

How do you handle that type of situation? :confused: :biggrin:

Z06 - I would be scared about the long-term durability of the Z06, esp if you intend to enjoy the limits of its performance from time to time.
Elise -- Ditto
NSX -- There are people on Prime who have north of 170k miles and their cars don't rattle, break-down, or look like they have more then 30k miles. Balance & structural and cosmetic integrity is better then nearly any vehicle ever made. Mid-engine, all aluminum, Honda - Tough to beat.

z06 i wouldnt be worried about the durability modern vettes are one of the most dependable sports cars you can buy.

lotus unsure

agree on the nsx

my choice?
probably the z06, for the power your getting, along with the handling

no doubt the nsx is flashier to a degree, and better built
but that 6 banger needs more oomph in the straights

Z06 - I would be scared about the long-term durability of the Z06, esp if you intend to enjoy the limits of its performance from time to time.
Elise -- Ditto
NSX -- There are people on Prime who have north of 170k miles and their cars don't rattle, break-down, or look like they have more then 30k miles. Balance & structural and cosmetic integrity is better then nearly any vehicle ever made. Mid-engine, all aluminum, Honda - Tough to beat.

i heard those were junk, but sounds like a good deal
its a chrysler for peat sakes

good luck

speaking of deals, I just picked up a new 2005 Chryler Crossfire SRT-6 with a sticker of $46k for $24k. For those of you who dont know, its the same car and AMG engine as the Mercedes SLK 32 AMG with 330 hp (supercharged v6). I would have never bought this car at sticker, but the wife liked it and its unique plus its new and has warranty (0 to 60 in 4.8 sec.) 50% off sticker is unheard of!!!

I have to admit I agree about the NSX needing more "straight-line oomph". I couldn't resist adding the CTSC, 550 injectors, AEM, etc. -- about to go hi-boost.

I have to admit I agree about the NSX needing more "straight-line oomph". I couldn't resist adding the CTSC, 550 injectors, AEM, etc. -- about to go hi-boost.

lotus = lots of trouble usually serious
ACURA =
Another Crummy, Useless, Rotten Automobile
Asia’s Curse Upon Rural America
honda =
Had One Never Did Again
Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
Hallmark Of Non-Descript Automobiles
Hallmark Of Non-Destructable Automobiles
GM =
General Maintenance
Great Mistake
Garbage Motors
Generally Miserable
Grossly Misconceived
CHEVROLET =
Can Hear Every Valve Rap On Long Extended Trips
Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time
Cracked Heads, Every Valve Rattles, Oil Leaks Every Time
Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques:rolleyes:

Back