NSX / Z06 / Lotus --- Which would you pick??????

Not trying to bash the Vette as I highly respect the car due to its power / price ratio... But it isn't anything special in my books. The NSX offers uniqueness, unbeatable quality, an "exotic" factor that the Vette lacks and a fantastic mid-engine layout. I would never consider the Vette if I had the chance of getting an NSX.

The Lotus is a fantastic little car, but def. too small for me to use it as an everyday car. Perfect track / weekend car, and even more unique than the NSX... But something about its size bothers me.

The 2006 Z06 is pretty wicked though.:smile:

carpete said:
first buy an NSX, drive it for a year or two then you can sell it for same or more than paid and buy both a Z06 and an Elise as they will both continue tumble in price for logical rasons (Z06-supply/demand and Elise because the only car from Europe that goes upi n value is Italian and red..unfortunately!)...use the force!
My thoughts exactly! WHY NOT BUY ALL OF THEM??? The way some people pick their cars they act like they're buying a house! Change your pants more frequently and enjoy all of them, but expect the Vette and Lotus to cost you.
I'm sure the NSX is the best purchase over a Vette because I've had a new
C5, but I've never had a Lotus. I'm not sure I would consider getting one either, and that's mainly due to depreciation. The new 99 C5 I bought for $46,500 can be had now for around $20k. I've seen some here call that "modest depreciation." All I can say is "Good grief!!!" :eek: That's about $350 a month for 7 years, and throw in tires and any other maint. and it's a very expensive car. I'll take the NSX any day of the week!:biggrin:

Zap

i went through the same thing w/ a brand new g35 and a nsx-t. i decided to go w/ the latter and would never look back.

The Lotus is not an everyday car. It is a weekend toy. If you want a car for that purpose and like the looks then it is a good choice. Toyota powerplant and there are s/c and stuff made for the Celica that supplies that engine so the car can be built if you outgrow the performance. These cars can be had used now for under 40k. Look around a bit. http://exotic.collectorcartraderonline.com/adbrowsemodels/Exotic/Lotus/2005

Z06 if you want all out performance. These cars are missiles bone stock and the bolt on mods cost less and give twice the results as on an NSX. The hardtop Z06 is noticably different from the hatchback vettes which are most of what you se driving around. No real reliability issues with these cars, and if you can squeeze a couple thousand more out of your Vette budget you are into an 04 with around 10k miles and factory warranty for not much more than a snap ring Vintage NSX. http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searc...=&transmission=Manual&doors=&color=&x=59&y=14

NSX if you:
a)don't want a weekend only cars that looks like a Hot Wheels and
b)do want an exotic, because even though I love the look of the canary yellow and blood red Z06 cars they are not an exotic and if you want to turn heads a 14 year older NSX will do it better than a two year old Vette. People will stop and point at an NSX or Ferrari or Viper. All you need to do to make that vintage NSX look 10 years newer is put some decent wheels and tires on them. The change in appearance is like night and day.
The only thing the early NSX doesn't have going for it is mods. Bolt ons give very limited results and forced induction is expensive and costs you some of that legendary Acura reliability. If you get one you better reconcile yourself to going fast around corners rather than in a straight line. The NSX is respectable but what was fast in 1992 is pretty average by today's standards.

Really the strengths and weaknesses of these cars are so different it should be a pretty easy choice. What do you want it for?

I have owned a 911 and an m3. I have driven both my brothers nsx's and lambo gallardo . The nsx is a drivers car and it truely feels exotic. The nsx is the best exotic car for the money. Its hand built and its quality is still amazing even after all these years. I would stay clear from any water cooled 911 unless you plan on purchasing insurance. Many Boxter/996 motors have died due to RMS-rear main seal issues. I find the drive of old school 911 far superior to power steering 911's. They should have never put power steering in a 911 its to light up front and hops all over. I don't know much about corvettes or lotus. Most magazines/owners agree that the NSX is a super car and that alone makes the difference. I also am planning on purchasing one soon. Good luck on your decision. :)

NSx is not a bad car at all. If you want power and looks then FERRARI for sure nothing beats the look. power and status people. Ferrari f355, 512 QTR, Enzo lol if you can afford it. Mr. Paghmani you need to get a f355 bro the ebst car ever ever ever lol.

Back to on-topic cars

Between the Z06 and the NSX, I would choose the NSX for the mixed bag role you would be using it for. I just sold a C6, and I'm back into an NSX if that tells you anything. *None of those used as a daily driver, however.

As to the Elise, I have only sat in one. Just can't imagine it for a daily driver, but maybe I'm wrong.

I would FOR SURE pick an nsx over the zo6 or the lotus. Just look at one next time you see one on the freeway or anywhere. Talk about exotic, sexy. Uniqueness woooow lol NSX=SUPER EXOTIC CAR.

not sure why im posting on an old tread :)

NSX is a NSX. period.

I am a new NSX owner and fellow magazine racer and I raced carts from 15-19

My first comparisons were 996, Elise, Sti/Evo, NSX, Shelby cobra replica.
Results:
Elise - Quick and nimble go cart feel. rare.
BAD: 0-60 includes 8k clutch drop & warranty void. Real 0-60 5sec. 1/4mi-14. gets old very high revving, depreciation $$$ maintenance $$$, cheap feel, buy a Ariel atom instead.

996- quick, stautus syblol, fun ride,
BAD: happy tail end lots of trouble, Rear main seal major $$$ issues, $$$$ mods, body-kits $5k+, Maintance $$$. not very rare and comes with a cocky "my shit don't stink" aura. I whoop my buddy all the time. $14k into H/I/E & light fly and aero kit does 13.5's. too expensive for me $3k exhaust $3k headers.

Vette- quick, cheap, ? thats it.
BAD: depreciation used $3k-4k yr (new $6k-8kyr!), Maintance $2-3kyr , not many vetts w/ +100k mi. it gets old fast no notices c5's any more zr-1's and no one will care about your Z06 in two years when you still have 3 years of payments left. interior is crap. its got old really really fast. no uniqueness either. chicks dont care if its a standard or c5. blends in with all the standard ones

NSX- WOW!! drive one! ride is un replacable! Stares! attention! rarity! its a 1991 and still wows everywhere! You will see kids pointing out the window of there moms mini van and kids on the corner standing still as you approach the light. some Import drivers chin drop when you drive by. lots of blank stares. And its fast a 1991 w/ I/H/E w/full interior & 200lbs weight loss does 13sec flat and 4.6 0-60all day! forever! even when u hit 160k miles it will still kick!
0 depreciation, maintnance $2-3k, keep it forever. Handeling is unreplaceable I dnt care what bull shit number they post on lateral G's put it on the track.

as you can see the depriciation of the z06 makes up for the maintnace of the NSX. and the Z0-6 will be hot untill the Z0-7 comes out in 2 years. The NSX will be HOT untill the day u die. if a new nsx comes out better save some more money! you wont a buy a 91 for less than 40k soon. 5 years ago 91 NSX,s were 25k now there 32k-35k keeps climbing!

besides 13's is plenty enough to kill you. handeling lets not even go there. you want speed spend 7k on a boostzilla and NSX will do consistant 12sec. 1/4's for the next 10 years and add about 3-5k to your resale value! net cost $2k-$4k!

there are much more reasons only explained by a test drive.

Last edited:
not sure why im posting on an old tread :)

lol. Yeah this is a pretty old thread, but great response :)

After debating this with myself, others, researching, test driving, more research, more debate, more test driving, I finally bought a 97 NSX just about 12 months ago. It was without a doubt the best decision.

speaking of deals, I just picked up a new 2005 Chryler Crossfire SRT-6 with a sticker of $46k for $24k. For those of you who dont know, its the same car and AMG engine as the Mercedes SLK 32 AMG with 330 hp (supercharged v6). I would have never bought this car at sticker, but the wife liked it and its unique plus its new and has warranty (0 to 60 in 4.8 sec.) 50% off sticker is unheard of!!!

Which would I pick? This question asked on the NSX forum; I believe the answer would be obvious.

I my case I reaffirmed my original choice by buying a 2nd one as my project car; you can't have too much of a GREAT thing.

I respect all performance cars; it is just that the NSX fits me so well and its overall balance, dependability and looks, in my personal opinion are close to perfect.

Know yourself and what makes you happy, that is why to choose a car. Don't base your decision on statistics; base it on your gut and seat time.

Get the Z06, No better yet get the Elise.:biggrin:

COME ON PEOPLE - READ THE THREAD! HE BOUGHT A 1997 NSX 12 months ago.

CONGRATS!!! you made a wise choice.

Wow. That thing would be a monster. I have always liked the RX7's, but their engine reliability problems kept me far far away.

Well, it's our massive 91 Octane + boost creep ( most factory turbos, not just RX7s, don't have their waste gate ported properly) = kaboom.

There are a few guys that are using the current Z06 505HP engine as the new power plant for the RX7 without upsetting the weight dist. and adding more weight.

RX7 is more Aerodynamic and lighter than the NSX and Z06.

I haven't met an Elise owner that wasn't either snooty (these folks think that they are God's gift to the road for having the lightest car on the road) or propellor-heads and pocket protector geeks.

With that in mind, I don't want that stigma.

It's bad enough to hear women comment that men with performance cars are attempting to compensate for a lack thereof in the crotch dept.........

When you asked in the title NSX, Z06, OR LOTUS, I was thinking Esprit. It is much more Exotic than the any of those 3 you listed.
Z06- no way. too boring, cheap, too common
Elise- cool car but not for everyday
NSX -wins all categories except when the Esprit pull up everyone will be looking at it!
File photo
604e_1.JPG

I currently own both so I speak from experience. The NSX draws the smaller crowd.
Heres mine
6097_.jpg

6098_.jpg

6099_.jpg

6100_.jpg

Last edited:
Having recently sold my 02 C5 (non zo6) there are some posts above that do not represent my experience after 4 years of ownership. I sold it with just under 20k miles, it had about $8k worth of mods to it and was a good looking car (but I know, a dime a dozen). I got $30k for it. It did not have any squeeks or rattles at all and ran like a raped ape. The maint. costs were nothing as there is no maint. except oil/filter changes and tires if you are that type of driver. I hated the interior and hated the fact that at every stop light there was another one!!
Which is why I will be replacing it with a late model (03-04) NSX.

I know the power will be down, I know the torque will be down, BUT the overall build quality, rarity, and beauty of the thing is what will be gained and I am all for that. And I am sure that other NSX drivers will wave to me when we pass:biggrin:

Last edited:
Having recently sold my 02 C5 (non zo6) there are some posts above that do not represent my experience after 4 years of ownership. I sold it with just under 20k miles, it had about $8k worth of mods to it and was a good looking car (but I know, a dime a dozen). I got $30k for it. It did not have any squeeks or rattles at all and ran like a raped ape. The maint. costs were nothing as there is no maint. except oil/filter changes and tires if you are that type of driver. I hated the interior and hated the fact that at every stop light there was another one!!
Which is why I will be replacing it with a late model (03-04) NSX.

I know the power will be down, I know the torque will be down, BUT the overall build quality, rarity, and beauty of the thing is what will be gained and I am all for that. And I am sure that other NSX drivers will wave to me when we pass:biggrin:

It is a much less frequent experience to see another NSX when compared to the corvette; your arm will never get tired from waving to other NSXs unless you attend NSXPO. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Back