nsx vs 360 modena

You'll NEVER have everyone agreeing on the same liking. That's just his opinion. Ferrari's are amazing cars...but I guarantee you that someone out there will find Enzo the most ugliest car out there.

For me, I'll take a Ferrari over an NSX anyday. I'm dumb...so I want my Ferrari!!!! LOL.

JChoice said:
Yes, I understand that. What I am pointing out is that it's a silly statement.

Da Hapa said:
I've only read that the Audit DSG box is a lot better but my experience with driving three separate BMW SMG's (2 M3's and a Z4) and riding in a 360 F1 is that SMG "paddle shift" boxes are horrible in traffic. Yes, they shift automatically but not without bucking and shuddering and they're not the least bit smooth. Think driving with someone who is trying to learn to drive stick.

it's been my experience EXACTLY. The very first time I drove my friend's M3 with a SMG gearbox, I looked at him and apologized for somehow "messing it up". He replied, "no, dont worry, that's normal". I was like "what ?! If anyone was shifting the gears like this in my brand new car I would have asked him to pull over immediately. Test drive is over, learn to drive a stick, then we'll try again". Way too harsh and jurky gearchanges for my taste.

The only thing I found out the SMG was doing right was matching the rev while downshifting.

can't compare a 360 to an nsx.

in 1991, i can't think of any other car i would've chose than an nsx. the nsx looked better than anything of its time by far, and had some nice innovative tech to show off. eventhough i was only 9 years old at the time, i know if i were older i would've rocked an nsx poster or two in my room.

now... i'm sorry, but if i had 90k to spend on a car.... i would not buy a brand new nsx (eventhough i LOVE my nsx...for 90g's.... i'd buy 3 older model nsxs.) in 2005, you need a little bit more than what was introduced in 91. well, i guess you do get just that.... a little bit more. honda dragged their feet on their ultimate sports car; they could've offered so much more for 90g in this day and age.... even in 91 it was only 61,000 bucks.... same damn car, cept the tech was a lot newer.

there are a lot of things that honda could've done with the nsx throughout the years. even if they gave it some cosmetic surgery, i trust they would do a good job and not mess everything up. with cars, you build on what you made and you make it better, and it's not all that difficult to think of things to improve. (just look through this site.)

what i'm saying is..... the 2005 nsx might (maybe) have been able to compare to a 360 if it weren't just a 91 with very minor tweaks. but then again, if we're comparing apples with apples..... i don't think anybody can make a 90,000 dollar car that would compare to an F430.... can't do it.

ferraris sound amazing. i would LOVE to just be in the same vicinity as an F40/50 that was driving around. i would have a wet spot in my pants.

ferraris aren't half as reliable as nsx's.... but that just shows you how much more like racing engines they are :cool:

nsx's are the civics of exotics...... that much is true.

(don't get me wrong.... i love my nsx, and nsx's in general.... eventhough they are legendary.... they could've done so much more with it. i don't mean to sound like i am ripping on nsx's... i'm not.)

Synthesis said:
ferraris aren't half as reliable as nsx's.... but that just shows you how much more like racing engines they are :cool:

nsx's are the civics of exotics...... that much is true.

You better take on the flamesuit :D:D

I don't care what people say about NSX, but I know that I own the BEST sport car made from Japan today!

JChoice said:
Yes, I understand that. What I am pointing out is that it's a silly statement.

If I remember correctly it was a statement made in one of hondas videos and in many reviews of the NSX, so what, who cares, drive what you like:smile: I like dependability.. Come on out to Beverly Hills where every other stop light theres a Ferrari or Bentley or Lambo and no one gives a sh*t what you drive because they are seen everywhere, and guess what instead of buying a gallardo to up the bling factor, I decided I was perfectly happy with my NSX. There was a Enzo hanging off a cliff right off of PCH last week. Yipeeee!

Last edited:
This thread needs to be deleted, before it gets nasty, this is a NSX forum remember??? What do you expect? and why is a Ferrari considered high mileage after 20k???Is that when all of the maintenance required costs so much that you could buy a nice used NSX ??

JChoice said:
OK, so I recently purchased a 360. I had an NSX for 6 years. Stage II (cams, headers, intake, ECU, exhaust, ported intake manifold, throttle body, short gears, 4.23RP, light flywheel, recaros, race sway bars).

Here is my comparo:

Acceleration:
My NSX was 280whp. When I first nailed it in 2nd gear on my 02 360 F1, I was dissapointed. I could tell it was faster but didn't feel significantly faster than the NSX. Now that I've owned for a few months and have gunned it on the freeway - I can feel the significant difference in acceleration. The 360 has much more urgency and flies through the higher gears extremely fast. I can't believe how short 6th gear feels on the 360. 6th gear feels like 4th gear on the NSX.

Sound:
I loved the sound of my Taitec exhaust. I had a Comptech originally and the sound was nothing compared to the Taitec GT LW. Initially, I thought the Ferrari sounded different - not really better but different. The funny thing is that all my car buddies comment on how the Ferrari sounds so much better than the NSX did. I have a Tubi on my 360 and the car actually seemed quieter than the NSX with the Taitec. Again, it's just how I am but it takes me a while to get used to a new car. I remember when I first put on the Taitec, I complained to Chris at SOS that it was way too loud. Now, the TUBI sounds absolutely wonderful to me and it's just loud enough. As I remember it, I like the 360 + Tubi sound better than the NSX + Taitec sound. Both sound AWESOME!

Handling:
My NSX actually felt dangerous until I put on the Dali race bars. The car leaned alot, the large ass steering wheel felt too big, and the car just didn't inspire confidence. With new shocks, the race bars, wide tires, Recaros, and a smaller steering wheel - the NSX felt fantastic. The steering was a bit numb compared to stock because of the wider front tires but the car still felt great. With the 285s I had in the back, my car never ran short on grip.

The Ferrari actually felt too loose. I guess it's the assist. However, at speed, the steering is amazing. The car is also very stiff but absorbs bumps at speed extremely well. I have the Challenge Stradale wheels on the car which are a bit wider than stock. There is tons of grip.

Seating position:
I prefer the NSX here actually. I really miss the cockpit feel of that car. With the stock seats, you do sit a bit too high and feel like the car is below you. With my Recaro seats, I sat lower and felt more like I was IN the car rather than ON it.

The Ferrari feels more like a regular car in this respect. The sport seats in my car don't have much cushion but the seats are very supportive. It's more roomy inside than the NSX.

I miss the cockpit feel of the NSX.

Interior:
My Ferrari has the leather roof and leather rear shelf option so the interior is just full of leather. The car smells like no other car I've ever smelled. It's an 02 and it smells brand new.

The NSX also had a leather smell but more of a traditional one. The leather in the Ferrari smells like no other leather I have ever smelled. The stitching on the leather is excellent and the tan/black interior combo is absolutely beautiful. The car feels much more "exotic" inside than the NSX does.

Brakes:
The NSX brakes were OK. I've worked the crap out of the Ferrari brakes already. Compared to the NSX... well, there is no comparison... the Ferrari stops RIGHT NOW.

F1:
The F1 tranny is fun when you go fast, boring when you don't. I miss having a stick shift. You can just drive a stick car moderately hard and have fun with it. In fact, I was shopping NSXs and S2000's after I sold my NSX just because I miss having a stick shift and miss having a really fun car I can drive around without having to worry about it so much.

Attention Magnet:
The Ferrari wins here of course. People like the NSX - it's another level with the 360. Even my friends' parents asked for rides in the car. That surprised me. Most strangers comment on how young I am when they see me next to the car. I'm 30 but I look 25 but still.. that never happened in the NSX.

Sound system:
Bose system in the NSX is better but I'm satisfied with the Ferrari sound system. It's loud enough and sounds OK. Putting a great sound system is a waste in that car - the exhaust can easily drown out the stereo. In the NSX, I think the interior was quieter.

Looks:
I love the shape of the NSX. A lowered NSX with the right wheels is absolutely beautiful. It has that class midengine look. The Ferrari is more modern of course and more beautiful but it doesn't have that classic mid engine appearance. Still, I greatly prefer the looks of the Ferrari.

Ownership experience:
Ferrari - hands down. It's not just a special car, it's a marque that's special in so many ways to so many people. I mean - the smell of the leather, the engine sound, the F1 Championship badge in my interior, the prancing horse, the stitching, the colors..... damn, I love my car.

Quality:
There were several issues with the NSX I had to fix. The car was reliable but since I owned a 92, I had the common failures to deal with. I had to fix the evap, ABS, master cylinder, Bose speakers, snap ring prevenative maint, etc. I spent thousands on the car. I also redid all the seals at 110k miles when I did the cams and other upgrades (Thanks to Jon Martin).

The Ferrari feels solid and I have no worries about the car. I couldn't say the same if I owned a 99 model. I go in for my 15k mile service soon and it's gonna cost me around $3k. I think modern Ferraris are reliable. If something does go wrong however, you'd better be ready to PAY.

Depreciation:
I bought my 92 NSX for 35k and could have sold it for 29k. Even without the mods, I would have only lost 10k on the car after 6 years of ownership! I sold it for less than that to a friend.

I plan on owning the 360 for 3 years and will probably lose about 30k in depreciation. Precentage-wise, that's less than I experienced with the NSX.

Final words:
Stock for stock, the Ferrari is in a completely different league and can't be compared. I think a stock 91 - 96 NSX is actually not a very fun car. However, the NSX can easily be tuned and modified to make the driving experience much better.

Nice OBJECTIVE writeup JChoice, I appreciate a good, honest comparison between two cars. Of course we ALL know there is no real comparison between the NSX and 360. But it's still nice to hear FIRST hand from someone that has driven both extensively. THANK YOU!

timothyaw said:
Of course we ALL know there is no real comparison between the NSX and 360.

How so? If you are only talking performance in a straight line, than yes there is no comparison. In all other categories though, there is PLENTY.

timothyaw said:
Of course we ALL know there is no real comparison between the NSX and 360.

:confused: :confused:

A comparison is exactly that - a comparison. You can compare a Prius to a Ferrari. Both have strengths and weaknesses. That definetly applies to a NSX vs. 360 comparison.

Maybe if they ever released the nsx-r in america the tables would be turned right now. I would put a stock nsx-r up agains a 360 anyday. on Any event to.

Thanks for taking the time JChoice. I loved reading what you had to say.

As much as I love love love love my 02 NSX, Id love to own a modern Ferrari even more.

But it doesnt suit my lifestyle. Im thrilled that a car as great as an NSX does, as without it, Id be just like the 1,500 other dufi I see everyday wearing their suits to an from work in their 911s.

straight line 360 is faster....on track they are even or nsx-r is better.

ediddynsx said:
straight line 360 is faster....on track they are even or nsx-r is better.

NSX-R is better

One thing I want to make clear - I loved and miss my NSX. I start thinking about buying one again each time I see one. ediddynsx should know: I stared at his clean black/tan and sat it in for about 10 minutes... I kept thinking of how much I missed my car.

No one here is flaming the NSX.

NSXCELERATE:
I'm in Beverly Hills all the time but I really don't mind seenig a bunch of other exotics. In fact, I love it. I don't drive my Ferrari so people think I'm the sh!t. I'm don't quite understand your logic: You could have bought a Gallardo or a Ferrari but wanted a 95 NSX instead of a 91-94 or 97 or 02+? Interesting. Anyhow, you've got a great car I'm sure.

On the F1 tranny:
My 02 F1 tranny drives just fine and isn't jerky but it took me a while to get used to not have a clutch so it was really jerky to me when I first got it.

VS. Type R:
I'm not sure if it's faster but definitely wouldn't doubt it. US F360s tend to be overrated in HP and weigh more than Ferrari wants to admit. But we all bought NSX's instead of Corvettes for the same reason most of you would take a Ferrari over an NSX - there are certain things you look for that aren't necessarily definied by outright speed.

SPA_S2000:
I love the 02 NSX. I still have yet to drive a 97+ however.

gheba_nsx said:
A MR2 is a smart man NSX?

It sound similar

and also

The NSX is the poor man Ferrari

The 360 is the poor man Enzo

and so on...

they are all silly, mostly excuses ;)

Very good choice JChoice! YOu bought a DREAM of a car for everybody!
he didnt buy a dream of a car for me!!!!!:mad: :mad:

Last edited:
i had a 360 spider ,2002,...but i got the 6speed...tryed the f1 but the 6speed was more fun and engaging...the gated shifter on the 360 was a big improvement from the 355 and the clutch was relatively easy to use, but still not as easy or smooth to shift as an nsx or s2000 or even a honda civic...the 360 lacks a lot of low end torque but is still slightly faster in a straight line than a post 97 nsx...handling edge also goes to the ferrari has it seems to have less body roll and quicker steering...the chassis is stiffer on the ferrari and interior is larger and more modern than the nsx, but the nsx has that cool , low cock pit feel to it...engine sound, the 360 with a tubi wins easily, dont forget we are talking about 395hp vs 290hp, v8 vs v6....with that said, with my ferrari gone for over a year now, i am looking to buy a na2 nsx, which will be much cheaper, less expensive to fix and maintain, and can be used as an everyday car....:biggrin: :wink: :smile:

Sometimes you cant pass up a great deal :-) Hey if youve got the $$ more power to you, but I cant justify spending that much on maintenance for a Fcar. You can and thats great :smile:

JChoice said:
One thing I want to make clear - I loved and miss my NSX. I start thinking about buying one again each time I see one. ediddynsx should know: I stared at his clean black/tan and sat it in for about 10 minutes... I kept thinking of how much I missed my car.

No one here is flaming the NSX.

NSXCELERATE:
I'm in Beverly Hills all the time but I really don't mind seenig a bunch of other exotics. In fact, I love it. I don't drive my Ferrari so people think I'm the sh!t. I'm don't quite understand your logic: You could have bought a Gallardo or a Ferrari but wanted a 95 NSX instead of a 91-94 or 97 or 02+? Interesting. Anyhow, you've got a great car I'm sure.

On the F1 tranny:
My 02 F1 tranny drives just fine and isn't jerky but it took me a while to get used to not have a clutch so it was really jerky to me when I first got it.

VS. Type R:
I'm not sure if it's faster but definitely wouldn't doubt it. US F360s tend to be overrated in HP and weigh more than Ferrari wants to admit. But we all bought NSX's instead of Corvettes for the same reason most of you would take a Ferrari over an NSX - there are certain things you look for that aren't necessarily definied by outright speed.

SPA_S2000:
I love the 02 NSX. I still have yet to drive a 97+ however.

JChoice said:

You have great review. It sucks that Ferrari overrate their horsepower. Here is an example of one. Ferrari states 425HP for CS but dyno at only 302? or maybe something wrong with that motor http://www.ktrperformance.com/dyno_tuning/dyno_graph_car.php?id_num=109

Back