NSX-T or Coupe?

Hi all, I'm conflicted on purchasing a coupe over a "T" simply for the fact that the car has less than 20k miles and is only $35K! So guys, I need some help here on making a decision. My goal is a '97-'99 red on black targa. This one is red on tan coupe '98.

So all suggetions are greatfull, plus what is the benefit between the two?

I love my targa and would not trade it for the world... Some people question the rigidity and the added weight, personally it wasn’t a concern of mine. :cool:

I only put the top on to wash her! :smile:

Not many coupes out there in 98. Only ONE red by my count.

Benefit of the T is you have a coupe (for the most part) and a open top when you want it. If you are like me and would only drive it as a Sunday cruiser than the T is a must.

If you want to track or have to have the most rigid body possible then the coupe is for you.

Yeah, I guess my reason for asking is that I found a '98 w/less than 20K miles and for only $35K, but it's a coupe not a Targa.

Would a Targa jack the price up on such a car?

I would get the coupe due to the fact that it's very rare to find a Coupe model after 95 and up. I like to own rare items. I have a 93 Red Coupe with 77k miles and it does not make any body noise at all both inside and outside. It's solid like a rock and handles like a champ! 35k it an excellent deal for a 98'. I would not even question it as long as it has clean title.

However one of the drawbacks on Tan/Beige interior is the carpet. It get's dirty really fast and is hard to clean. I have a 91 Acura Legend with that color combo Red/Beige/Tan.

That's just my opinion for what it's worth.

That coupe is worth quite a bit more than a T.

Have you seen the car?
(Some call them "T- coupe")
I bet its a T............

Caution..... price seems very low.........

I'd say Targa, just 'cuz most of us won't be and don't have the skill to take this car to it's limits. Anything 150km below you won't really feel a difference IMO. I actually feel a slight difference in better turning when the top is off for some reason. Certain minor issues like creakin' sound may come from the t-top stressing, but if you don't drive like a crazy nut all the time, this won't be too much of an annoyance.

if you live in a place with alot of pot holes like nyc, then you notice the difference in chassis rigidity.

also a coupe over 100 lbs lighter than a T top. You would have to do all the weight reduction mods just to be at where us coupe guys start. very very hard to go sub 3000 lbs. most coupe guys with the same weight reduction mods are touching 2800 lbs.

since our cars isn't that fast from the factory we need to make every single hp count. thats one reason why i would never buy a new model nsx unless it a 02+ ( purely for cosmetic reasons ). I would never guy a car even with a sunroof ever again. They will start to leak and creak and its not worth the extra weight. and even if someone with a 95-96 t top would trade me + cash I wouldn't do it.

edit: not to mention that a 98 coupe is practically a alex zanardi edition but with power steering, and slightly heavier.

I can see all your points. Curious though, 10 years from now witch will be more saught after? I do know that just for personall reasons I would rather go with the Targa, I just love to have the top off during nice weather. Not much of it here in Washington, but that brings up another question. The first car I learned to drive in was a '92 T-Top camaro, and those T-tops leaked so bad I had to keep a towel on my driver seat when I wasn't driving. Does the Targa have smiliar problems?

Oh and the car is listed on nsxtrader.com I personally would jump on this if I didn't care about a Targa top, and the Tan interior, but damn what a nice deal eh?

Now if I can only find the black int w/a targa....:smile:

http://nsxtrader.com/details.php?id=3158

If this is the car, it looks like a T-top to me.
I was going to jump on it if it was a coupe. LOL LOL
I hate black int. 6 cars here all with tan or light grey int.:smile:

Use caution, price seems too low. Check for prev damage.
Being listed at 35k almost guarantees something is not right.

It might be a great deal! Check it out!
& Check for salvage title...........

I do notice some wind streakin' noises at high speeds, but this was diagnosed by other Prime members here to be the window not going up tight enough. The rubber linings can easily be replaced if there are any leaks(which, knock on wood, I have not experienced any). I have 45km's on my '98 so far, but I don't drive my car too hard, and it's been garaged for 4months due to modifications. SSOOOO TEMPTING to get another Nsx, due to our Canadian $ surpassing the usd. Can't believe how much cheaper cars are down there.

If u want to look bling get the T top and 18/19 rims.

For performance-centric get the coupe (lighter and stiffer chasis).

How does a T have bling?

My 97 T does not whistle or leak water at all. Been in the rain several times. I did have some squeaking, but I used some Honda Shinka (?) grease and it's gone.

:biggrin: I love the "bling" comment. On the comment about wether it is actually a coupe or Targa, I personally spoke to the owner on Mon and was confirmed that it was a coupe.

One thing that sticks out is that the owner didn't sound to "enthused", ya know? The price tag is extremely tempting from what I've been finding, I just keep getting frustrated that I haven't found the one I'm looking for.

Speaking of which if ya'll know anyone, or have a web link for good reference my options are:

'97-'99 Targa 3.2
Red on Black (Tan ok)
Less than 60Kmiles
Less than $45K

:biggrin: I love the "bling" comment.

"resistance is futile."

SevenOfNineJeriRyan.jpg

You found a '98 with less than 20k miles for $35k???

WHO CARES IF IT'S A COUPE OR A TARGA!!! JUMP ON THAT DEAL!!! :biggrin:

In all seriousness though, even the newer coupes (aside from a Zanardi) have the black tops correct? You can just ask the current owner if the top is red or black and you'd know if it's a coupe or a targa.

I know the black tops are more prominent on the older NSX's but I "think" the newer COUPES have black tops. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

How does a T have bling?

My 97 T does not whistle or leak water at all. Been in the rain several times. I did have some squeaking, but I used some Honda Shinka (?) grease and it's gone.

Shin-etzu? (btw, not made by honda, but has a honda p/n.)

i have heard of somebody paying 900+ for new targa seals because of a leak :eek: maybe they got ripped off?

Here you go. Yes, Salvage title + 4,000 miles between 2000 & 2007 and the owner just bought it and now re-selling it? That's less than 900 miles per year. I bet there is lots of carbon deposits in the engine...
Good luck..

02/13/1998 21 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. Odometer reading reported for title
or registration

03/12/1998 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. Title issued or updated
First owner reported
Registered as
corporate fleet vehicle
Loan or lien reported

05/22/1998 4,037 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
Lubed oil and filter changed

07/02/1998 6,695 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

08/13/1998 8,283 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
Lubed oil and filter changed

03/22/1999 13,166 Service Facility Vehicle serviced

04/01/1999 Automotive Recycler
Fontana, CA Vehicle at automotive recycler facility
CARFAX recommends checking for damage during your pre-purchase inspection.

06/30/1999 14,653 New York
Motor Vehicle Dept.
APO, AE SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

04/21/2000 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fontana, CA JUNK TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

Purchased: 2007
Where: North Carolina
Est. miles/year: ---
Est. length owned: 3/3/07 - present
(7 months)

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
03/03/2007 18,901 North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Gastonia, NC
Title #770924070790015 Odometer reading reported for title
or registration

03/20/2007 North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Gastonia, NC
Title #770924070790015 Registration issued or renewed
New owner reported
Passed safety inspection
CARFAX Advisor™
Vehicle sold as a whole unit. CARFAX recommends checking for damage during your pre-purchase inspection.

08/08/2007 North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Gastonia, NC
Title #771652072206131 Registration issued or renewed
Passed safety inspection

Back