nsx for sale on Prime for 7 years

Is my asking price that far off- help me out here. Thanks

The market for Imola is "overpriced" given the rarity of the color. The market for your yellow apparently is just south of the 65K being asked by the prior owner of yours since it sat at that price until you purchased it a few weeks back. Listing prices on autotrader are meaningless since they are all over the place and include dealers/private sellers who don't mind waiting for the "uninformed" to come by and offer more than market value. That is why as a dealer you can mark up your recent purchase since you are more likely to have a customer come by unfamiliar with Prime and pick it up as an impulse buy referring only to KBB which is overpriced (it sets $76.6K as the value of yours). The market value is whatever someone is willing to pay and that varies greatly depending upon whether a seller is willing to wait months (or even 8 years) to make a deal rather than price it fairly and have a sale in a matter of days.

We had an NSX-R "replica" that everyone here drooled over. A dealer gave the owner $118k in trade and thought he found the unicorn and tried to flip it. Despite several fleabay attempts at a sale, it never got a bid over 75k (orginally the dealer tried to sell it for $135k initially then dropped as low as $109k if my memory serves me correctly).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-NSX-/220922932359

Anyone can price their cars at any level but unless it is the rare coupe, a mint zanardi, an imola and sometimes a white or blue, researching asking prices is useless without knowing the final sales price, if it sold at all.

Last edited:
The market for Imola is "overpriced" given the rarity of the color. The market for your yellow apparently is just south of the 65K being asked by the prior owner of yours since it sat at that price until you purchased it a few weeks back. Listing prices on autotrader are meaningless since they are all over the place and include dealers/private sellers who don't mind waiting for the "uninformed" to come by and offer more than market value. That is why as a dealer you can mark up your recent purchase since you are more likely to have a customer come by unfamiliar with Prime and pick it up as an impulse buy referring only to KBB which is overpriced (it sets $76.6K as the value of yours). The market value is whatever someone is willing to pay and that varies greatly depending upon whether a seller is willing to wait months (or even 8 years) to make a deal rather than price it fairly and have a sale in a matter of days.

We had an NSX-R "replica" that everyone here drooled over. A dealer gave the owner $118k in trade and thought he found the unicorn and tried to flip it. Despite several fleabay attempts at a sale, it never got a bid over 75k (orginally the dealer tried to sell it for $135k initially then dropped as low as $109k if my memory serves me correctly).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-NSX-/220922932359

Anyone can price their cars at any level but unless it is the rare coupe, a mint zanardi, an imola and sometimes a white or blue, researching asking prices is useless without knowing the final sales price, if it sold at all.

Well put and agree. We are in selling season so let see what happen. As far as i am concern my old girl is worth $0 till someone put a dollar figure on it and show me the money.

Well put and agree. We are in selling season so let see what happen. As far as i am concern my old girl is worth $0 till someone put a dollar figure on it and show me the money.

And then we have the other side where someone posts an ad for a fair market price and it literally sells within minutes with multiple members trying to snap it up. Then the seller ponders whether it was priced too low. It is a tough formula to figure out given ever changing market factors. We also see some cars getting a premium over similar offerings depending upon pedigree, such as having it maintained over its life by a known tech such as Larry B. I would put more value in a car worked on by larry than the identical car that gets a ppi by virtually any local dealer. But that is the Prime difference that does not usually come into play when a car is in a dealer's showroom where the odds are stacked against the walk-in buyer.

And then we have the other side where someone posts an ad for a fair market price and it literally sells within minutes with multiple members trying to snap it up. Then the seller ponders whether it was priced too low. It is a tough formula to figure out given ever changing market factors. We also see some cars getting a premium over similar offerings depending upon pedigree, such as having it maintained over its life by a known tech such as Larry B. I would put more value in a car worked on by larry than the identical car that gets a ppi by virtually any local dealer. But that is the Prime difference that does not usually come into play when a car is in a dealer's showroom where the odds are stacked against the walk-in buyer.

True... Everyone need to understand every pre-owned is different. Yes "Pedigree" is big factor in price mark. And being a one owner and unique low miles example w/no mods, hard to find a direct comparison. I have sold so many cars in my years and finding a one owner with all paper work is very rare. Many NSX's out there for sale are either heavily mod,wrecked,not very well service or maintained and more than 75% of them have paint correction. I have seen so many cars where seller swear up and down paint is OEM till you use a paint meter to verified. Bottom line is one owner all original super clean very well kept garage queen with service up to date usually holds top dollar (IMO)

Last edited:
We had an NSX-R "replica" that everyone here drooled over. A dealer gave the owner $118k in trade and thought he found the unicorn and tried to flip it. Despite several fleabay attempts at a sale, it never got a bid over 75k (orginally the dealer tried to sell it for $135k initially then dropped as low as $109k if my memory serves me correctly)...

Dammit Bob. Why did you have to bring up a unicorn in this thread?

indigosea2c.jpg

It's not exactly that.... if I say I want 150K for my NSX, and you say OK, here is 150K, and I say "nah.... I don't think I will sell it to you", that's not "sticking to my price".

By Tabasco's own admission, he has had "viable" buyers at HIS ASKING PRICE. He still didn't sell it. So explain that.
I somehow :confused: completely missed the refusal of full asking price offer in 2010. All applauding stopped.

I am sorry i should hv made it clear. If i was a normal joe and not a "dealer",buying a NSX to keep and not for resell-yes i would jump on Tabasco car all day long. Me as a dealer would not consider $70 (cnt make coins out of this buy figure).

- - - Updated - - -

pvmike. Forget what i paid,doesn't matter if it was $10, $10,000,$30,000 or $100,000. If my asking $ is off the wall it wont sell for sure and eventually will adjust my asking price. Would be grateful if you would be kind enough and help me out to determine 2002-2004 market value based on autotrader,cars.com and prime. Am i right or am i mistaken an 2002 orange in va sold in VA not long ago for or around $59k w/57k miles?? There are so many 02-05 on autotrader listed anywhere from $60k-$87k and most or all have defer maintenance,need tires etc. I recently put brand new tires on her a few days ago and previous owner did all preventive service on this fine example. Is my asking price that far off- help me out here. Thanks

Apparently you missed the part above where RSO told you what your car is worth: what you paid 3 weeks ago. Instead, you agreed and then talked some nonsense about the car being a 1 owner car (umm, you're the second owner), new tires, blah blah blah.

Buying an NSX off Prime and then relisting it for $4k more when the previous listing is only a few listings below yours is ballsy, I'll give you that. But like I said, there's got to be a better way to make money than that...

Apparently you missed the part above where RSO told you what your car is worth: what you paid 3 weeks ago. Instead, you agreed and then talked some nonsense about the car being a 1 owner car (umm, you're the second owner), new tires, blah blah blah.

Buying an NSX off Prime and then relisting it for $4k more when the previous listing is only a few listings below yours is ballsy, I'll give you that. But like I said, there's got to be a better way to make money than that...

Mike. Dealer's are not owner's. Cars in "dealer" inventory are never owners. We as "dealer's" reassign ownership to new buyer. IF you pull Carfax on this NSX it will show as one owner. Once car is registered then it is consider another owner. Same as you buy a new car at any car dealership -you will be title as 1st owner not second. Trust me on this i sell cars for a living. I am pretty sure there are a few members on this board who are dealer's and they will tell you the same.

The plus side of having an NSX in your dealer inventory is that unlike every other car that's losing value on the lot every single day, the NSX is neither rusting nor losing its value. :)

These cars are more rare by the day, especially the 02+ cars. Very few made. So you could have purchased a lot worse things to resell IMO. If you can afford to keep it in inventory, at least its ass isn't sagging more by the day. She is Asian after all.

Last edited:

I was used car MGR at a Porsche dealership way back when and we as dealer's trade a car in one day ,after recondition, then it goes on ad for $15-20k more than trade value (ACV). Answer to your question why we mark up our cars (very common practice) b/c we can. If you are a dealer , would you buy a car and turn around and advertised it less than what you paid?? In my case with my NSX, $4k mark-up is nothing. If this car was traded in at any high line dealership, i can assure you they will advertised it at or above KBB retail value which in this case is somewhere in the upper $70's

Last edited:
. Many NSX's out there for sale are either heavily mod,wrecked,not very well service or maintained and more than 75% of them have paint correction. I have seen so many cars where seller swear up and down paint is OEM till you use a paint meter to verified.

I see this term "paint correction" usually used to describe a detail of sorts
If you mean having a panel or more painted at some time, at 75% I think you're low, going by the cars I've seen over the years.
I question how reliable a paint meter is on these cars considering how they were painted at the factory.

As for the car referred to in this thread, who cares? Tabasco can sell or not sell and do whatever he wants to the price.If he's good with it and Lud is good with it, then end of story.

Yes paint correction is having one or more panel painted. And paint gauge is very acurate as it measure in paint thickness in mils. Most or all dealers specialized in high end usually hv a paint gauge.

Yes paint correction is having one or more panel painted. And paint gauge is very acurate as it measure in paint thickness in mils. Most or all dealers specialized in high end usually hv a paint gauge.

Now you are barking up the wrong tree.....lol. What pbassjo has forgotten about painting NSX's you'll likely never learn.

Last edited:
Yeah I thought paint correction was something detailers did too. How is painting anything "paint correction"?

Categorized where? Is there a book? The term itself makes no sense if it's used as a term to describe painting anything. But I don't know... I'm still trying to get people to correctly say "photoshop" and not "photochop".

I think Tabasco has the great idea.

I think I will post my NSX for $40k FIRM, if it sells then awesome, if not, I will keep enjoying it; it puts a smile on my face every time I walk into my garage, money is no issue, but it would be nice to sell for a premium haha

If he actually had an offer at his asking price and he rejected it, is it really for sale? I think maybe its time to close that thread.

Why does this bother us? It's not our car, it shouldn't be our concern, right? I think we are all a family here, and like our real families....we hate to see a brother in denial. Maybe we can get Tabasco on the next episode of INTERVENTION.

Man Synth, this is really funny! LOL best on the page! Now RSO's very well written synopsis is exempted because he is right on point and a super smart contributer! Very good RSO as are all your comments...

Back