NSX Disenchantment-Anyone else have this feeling?

See message 57

I have had my NSX for 3 months now, logged about 1600 miles (1200) was my trip home from purchase and I am finding that the more I drive it im kind of frustrated with the car.

I fit in the car, but my head is so close to the top bolster that I could not wear a hat in the car if I wanted too. So I know I have to look into that company that sells the thin seat pads so I can fit better.

The Ride is rough and there is a ton of road noise in the car. Can't really talk on a cellphone in it! Also, if you go faster than 95 the wind noise on the targa top is beyond tollerable! There is a ton of cowl shake and makes the car feel very unsolid on the road sometimes through choppy sections of street.

The car is not as fast as my daily driven Audi S4 wagon and the steering inputs are really interesting and it pushes through turns really bad. It does not turn sharp to pull into parking spots either. The Shifting is notchy and very stiff......

Now you might think that this is an NSX hate post.. but it is not.... I love the way the car look and feels when driven agressive and fast. The engine sound is awesome and the drivers seating position is very good in realtion to the wheel-pedal and shifter! Interior is very well laid out and comfortable compaired to other sports cars I have owned. It is a great piece of Machinery and really fun to drive.

Im just wondering if there are any of you that were the same way I was when you first bought the NSX? Are there quirks that bug the hell out of you????

Last edited:
I have had my NSX for about 2.5 years and I have the exact opposite of your complaints the car is one of the most conferrable sports cars I have ever driven that is why I have kept it for so long. No road noise its got to be your tires.(need new ones?) harsh ride got to be your shocks or springs. my car is a 92 almost 15 years old it doesn’t shake or rattle one bit.

I have had mine now for about 4 months and I still love it as much as the day I got it. My ride is a little rough, but I'm also lowered 1.5" with an 18/19 combo, so that's to be expected. As far as wind noise from the targa... check your seals/rubbers, especially if your getting alot of road noise from regular driving. Although I don't take mine past 70mph very often :wink:, when I do, I have very little noise. Yes, the shifting is a little notchy, and the turning radius isn't the greatest, but there are much worse out there, that cost much more (*cough* F *cough*). I would be very comfortable with mine as a daily driver.:smile:

My impressions were somewhat similar coming from a 993tt to the nsx, it will not feel as stable at speed as European sportscars, and the road noise is very high - my shifting is also notchy, even after a fluid change. What makes these items somewhat suprising is the video discussing the nsx, from when it first came out, where they discuss how new advances allow the nsx to be extremely quiet at speed, and several people comment on how smooth the shifting is. The shifter is short, it can be made shorter, but it is not smooth.

Some of the issue has to do with the car's age - the shape of the car is timeless, but it is mechanically an old car. Comparing a design from 1988, essentially, to a current design, nearly 20 years of innovation later, is somewhat unfair, but this is the situation... the solution I have found is to throw money at the car, not the optimum solution, but the slight concerns I had with the suspension have been dialed away, it now feels much better at speed, much more stable, the aged interior has been brought up to spec, power has been greatly increased, exterior modifications make the car appear sportier, a loud but sporty exhaust balances out road noise, leaving me with a notchy transmission. I have changed the fluid, and found limited benefit... sos has several options for rebuilding the unit, this might be the only cure... In my case I made the shifter as short as possible, with a lower knob and dave's short shifter, and it has made it tolerable.

I recently purchased my 3rd NSX. In between, I've had several different sports cars, but I keep coming back to the NSX. At 6'1", I agree there's no hat room, but otherwise... I don't agree with your other observations. My '97 is is rock solid, tight and quiet. Although it only has 13,000 miles, my previous NSX's had much higher mileage and the ride was equivalent.

And speaking of ride... are you comparing apples to apples? Because if you are, you'll find the ride of an NSX is much better than a Ferrari and similar to most Porsche's in terms of ride quality, i.e. stiff, but not bone-jarring. I'd give the smooth, soft ride nod to the new generation Vette. Feels more like a boat going over swells.

If you're experiencing excessive road noise, the culprit is likely to be your tires. As for your targa top buffeting, I have not experienced the same, but I've only taken the car up to 110-120mph a couple times. Otherwise... it's rarely been over 3,000 RPM's.

Another possibility... it's too darn cold in Chicago right now and you're letting it get the best of you. Get a car hauler and come on down to Florida!

I fit in the car, but my head is so close to the top bolster that I could not wear a hat in the car if I wanted too. So I know I have to look into that company that sells the thin seat pads so I can fit better.

You knew this before buying the car, yes?

The Ride is rough and there is a ton of road noise in the car. Can't really talk on a cellphone in it!

Road noise is probably from your tires and so is the rough ride. 18/19 combo has low profile tires. Also roads in chicago sucks. Swap out with 17/18 with less noisy tires? Or, just buy loud exhaust :D

Also, if you go faster than 95 the wind noise on the targa top is beyond tollerable! There is a ton of cowl shake and makes the car feel very unsolid on the road sometimes through choppy sections of street.

I'm not sure if you should be cruising at 95mph on a regular basis? :p Can't comment on the targa chassis since I don't have one, but my coupe is pretty sound on any surface.

The car is not as fast as my daily driven Audi S4 wagon and the steering inputs are really interesting and it pushes through turns really bad. It does not turn sharp to pull into parking spots either. The Shifting is notchy and very stiff......

Is your S4 really faster or it feels faster? Have you run it side by side? Turbo car will give you the feeling of faster but 315whp in an heavy Avant can't be that much faster than nsx if any. Understeer can be addressed by doing some suspension mods, but I'm not sure if NSx will ever be crisp in a parking lot. For me, I'd rather sacrifice the low speed crispness for high speed cornering stability.

I recently purchased my 3rd NSX. In between, I've had several different sports cars, but I keep coming back to the NSX. At 6'1", I agree there's no hat room, but otherwise... I don't agree with your other observations. My '97 is is rock solid, tight and quiet. Although it only has 13,000 miles, my previous NSX's had much higher mileage and the ride was equivalent.

And speaking of ride... are you comparing apples to apples? Because if you are, you'll find the ride of an NSX is much better than a Ferrari and similar to most Porsche's in terms of ride quality, i.e. stiff, but not bone-jarring. I'd give the smooth, soft ride nod to the new generation Vette. Feels more like a boat going over swells.

If you're experiencing excessive road noise, the culprit is likely to be your tires. As for your targa top buffeting, I have not experienced the same, but I've only taken the car up to 110-120mph a couple times. Otherwise... it's rarely been over 3,000 RPM's.

Another possibility... it's too darn cold in Chicago right now and you're letting it get the best of you. Get a car hauler and come on down to Florida!

fwiw, the nsx is not quiet. I have 17/18's, 'quieter' tires (Eagle F1 GS-D3's), and I have had my rubber seals inspected twice (due to the wind noise being rather loud at speed) - the seals are in good condition, and the wind/road noise is high compared to other sportscars I have owned. I test drove several nsx's prior to making my purchase, and found similar high noise levels - I was after a coupe, but also drove a targa, which had slightly higher noise levels on the freeway.

I notice that you express complaints about the NSX but then in the very next paragraph you contradict your complaints by stating how great it is in each of those aspects. I am confused ??????

The NSX is an outstanding car and the more I drive mine, the more I am impressed with it. Absolutely no complaints or disenchantment from me.

Is your S4 really faster or it feels faster? Have you run it side by side? Turbo car will give you the feeling of faster but 315whp in an heavy Avant can't be that much faster than nsx if any. Understeer can be addressed by doing some suspension mods, but I'm not sure if NSx will ever be crisp in a parking lot. For me, I'd rather sacrifice the low speed crispness for high speed cornering stability.

I believe the 2004 S4 is a N/A V8. I don't know about how a targa feels, but even the normal S4's won't outrun my 91' NSX

Not as fast? I'll bet you $100 that it is :biggrin: I had some guy in a brand new S4 sedan try to race me at 5 stoplights in a row, I pulled on him each time, BAD! That car weights what 3500-3600lb's? Okay, to be fair mine is 2600lb's, but I get what your saying. Sometimes I miss the torque from the V8 in my XK8 and XJ8.......

You can't really say anything...... I'm sure your NSX is 100X more comfy than mine. No AC, no interior panels, no stereo, no seals, no anything and I feel fine. The NSX as it comes from the factory way more than adequate for daily driving. Mine? It still works for me...... Stop being picky about the little things and enjoy the car for what it is. An A4 is a completely different car from the NSX and if I wanted to pick out a million things on a Viper, 996 911, Esprit, Corvette, etc..... i could do that as well. The NSX is better than all of those cars for a DD except perhaps the 996, but then again it's a 996......

Most of the S4 guys at the minimum have a chip and exhaust. While heavier, for the most part power to weight would be relatively close to a stock NA1. I track with the Audi club frequently, and I've found it is not at all uncommon to be entirely out-classed on horsepower often by two hundred horsepower when they start modifying extensively.. not to mention their AWD and ESP, so car setup is key at course speeds at most venues to make the NSX shine.

No question the stock Audi interior is pretty plush, a luxury car the NSX is not, with ample amenities IMO.

Once upon a time, cars were outfitted with sensibly-sized wheels and tires that worked well on the less-than-perfect roads we all drive on. The current big wheel/low profile tire fashion is out of hand, in my opinion. It has thrown practicality out the window.

I have had my NSX for 3 months now, logged about 1600 miles (1200) was my trip home from purchase and I am finding that the more I drive it im kind of frustrated with the car.

The Ride is rough and there is a ton of road noise in the car. Can't really talk on a cellphone in it! Also, if you go faster than 95 the wind noise on the targa top is beyond tollerable! There is a ton of cowl shake and makes the car feel very unsolid on the road sometimes through choppy sections of street.

Wow I've always felt the stock NSX ride is pretty soft. NSX-R braces will get rid of the shake and sloppy feeling you get when the roof is off.

I think what you might be feeling is torque difference. Only the RS4 is on par with the NA2 NSX as far as acceleration. The S4 is a V8 with nice low end tq. The NSX is a high revving car that makes it's power higher in the RPM band. If you drive it the same way you drive your wagon then yes your wagon will feel faster. If you drove your wagon like the NSX the S4 will be dropping off and gasping. Two completely different power bands.

Hmmm NSX's tend to understeer and that's for your safety. Audi's push like a son of a gun at the track ,but as your daily driver it's still doing all the work for you by distributing your tq and putting power to the wheels that have the most grip. The S4's steering is very boosted at low speeds because of it's weight ( remember it's got about 800lbs on your NSX )so it's going to be easy as a Lincoln to park. It shows that you have EVO HP 18/19's what sizes and what tire sizes /brand are you running

Now you might think that this is an NSX hate post.. but it is not.... I love the way the car look and feels when driven agressive and fast. The engine sound is awesome and the drivers seating position is very good! Interior is very well laid out and comfortable compaired to other sports cars I have owned. It is a great piece of Machinery and really fun to drive.

Im just wondering if there are any of you that were the same way I was when you first bought the NSX?

My only complaint about my NSX is that after having an S2000 the NSX just feels to soft and too heavy. I'm working on both those issues currently:biggrin:

Most of the S4 guys at the minimum have a chip and exhaust. While heavier, for the most part power to weight would be relatively close to a stock NA1. I track with the Audi club frequently, and I've found it is not at all uncommon to be entirely out-classed on horsepower often by two hundred horsepower when they start modifying extensively.. not to mention their AWD and ESP, so car setup is key at course speeds at most venues to make the NSX shine.

No question the stock Audi interior is pretty plush, a luxury car the NSX is not, with ample amenities IMO.

Your referring to the S4 turbo's right not the V8's?

No, I don't share your observations. The more I drive mine the more I love it!!!

I don't have a targa because of the headroom issue so I can't comment on the wind noise. Mine is very quiet inside. There is some engine noise from the aftermarket exhaust but foe me that is an acceptable tradeoff. Maybe you should check out your rubber seals on your top and around the doors.

I agree with others in that your tires are probably adding to the interior noise level. Maybe you should have them balanced. Perhaps when they need to be replaced, shop around and find a quieter tire.

If you have an aftermarket suspension, maybe you should check into less stiff springs.

Just some ideas.

Now you might think that this is an NSX hate post.. but it is not.... I love the way the car look and feels when driven agressive and fast. The engine sound is awesome and the drivers seating position is very good! Interior is very well laid out and comfortable compaired to other sports cars I have owned. It is a great piece of Machinery and really fun to drive.

Im just wondering if there are any of you that were the same way I was when you first bought the NSX?

Have you driven the new cadillac? It has most features of what you expect in a car. :wink:

The roughness in the ride probably has to do with the 18/19 setup that you have, perhaps you should consider going to a 17/18 setup instead.

With the targa top off the NSX-T's definetely have a lot of cowl-shake even with the NSX-R chassis bars, so that's one thing that you won't be able to get away from if you like to drive the car with the top off.

As far as pushing goes, compared to most Audi S4's the NSX definetely should not feel like it is understeering as much. Check your alignment if your car was lowered, same goes with the feeling with the weird steering.

You also mentioned that it does not turn as quick, in other words the steering ratio is slower, that is done on purpose because the NSX is a MR car in order to keep the NSX from being unstable from jerky movements of the steering wheel at high speeds. The turning radius for the NSX isn't bad at all and comparable to other sports cars.

As far as the notchyness of the shift knob, that might be something specific to your car and probably might be related to the outside temperature or it's possible that your car somehow has worn synchro's.

The NSX shift mechanism feel much better than most cars out there, the only other car that I've driven that has shorter throws is the S2K. Most german cars have extremely long throws where you have to actually use your entire arm instead of just your wrist to shift gears (P-cars, BMW's, Audi's) relative to the NSX.

The roughness in the ride probably has to do with the 18/19 setup that you have, perhaps you should consider going to a 17/18 setup instead.

With the targa top off the NSX-T's definetely have a lot of cowl-shake even with the NSX-R chassis bars, so that's one thing that you won't be able to get away from if you like to drive the car with the top off.

Wow I get little if any cowl shake with the NSX-R chassis bars even at the track . Do they maybe work better on the 02+

Hmmm.... My 91 is the sturdiest, tightest, and quietest car I have ever owned. Ie 2001 carrera cab (bought in 2002), 2000 525i (bought in 2000), 1994 rx7 r2 (bought in 2003), mkiv turbo supras (bought in 2004 & 05), and a couple of SR powered 240s (bought last year). Ive owned some pretty high quality cars and this one is by far better. The NSX is quieter than my BMW was and that is saying a lot. My car is a hard top with low miles though. If your car has a lot of wear and tear on it then you might want to look into some maintenance servicing.

My car is a 2003 and has 22k miles on it with a brand new clutch and transmission.

My Daily is a mildly modified V8 S4 that puts down 315hp and 310tq to the wheels, and yes, I have run them side to side and the s4 stays ahead of the NSX up to around 100mph then it fails to keep up! Basicaly 4th gear in the NSX and beyond...(but the audi feels tons smoother and connected to the road at that speed all the way up to 150-160mph)

I have brand new Kuhmo Ecsta tires on my wheels and they give better feed back and less road noise than the Stockers did by a long shot.

Ill have the seals checked out, as soon as that 96-98 mph barrier is breached the top sounds like it is going to get sucked off :eek: Hope that does not happen! LOL. No there is just a few things that make me question my purchase over all.

Ohh and the test ride was in a Coupe car, I should have known better.

I guess I need to get the NSX-R chassie brace to get rid of the shake rattle and roll in the front end. And i need to get my stereo installed so I can't hear the wind noise any more.

Im just spoiled by the Audi Interior and need to be more realistic.

BTW: I know what you mean about the quietness of the S4 avant, one of my track buddies used to own a 2005 S4 avant and that thing was a Qship, with the recaro seats and the well tuned suspension the car could be going well over 100mph and feel like it was just doing 55mph. Those cars were made for the Autobahn after all :D

Your referring to the S4 turbo's right not the V8's?

I was. I tend to have this tunnel vision with sedans, my eyes trimming out the roomier models like a lawn mower. Heh, standing in a sea of cars I actually said to a BMW salesman the other day "what, you only have one car on your whole lot?" pointing at the M3. :biggrin:

As Ken mentioned thou, the Euro sedans feel very quiet and solid into the low triple digits, leaving that lasting impression they strive for of performance and build quality with most of their clients.

My car is a 2003 and has 22k miles on it with a brand new clutch and transmission.

My Daily is a mildly modified V8 S4 that puts down 315hp and 310tq to the wheels, and yes, I have run them side to side and the s4 stays ahead of the NSX up to around 100mph then it fails to keep up! Basicaly 4th gear in the NSX and beyond...(but the audi feels tons smoother and connected to the road at that speed all the way up to 150-160mph)

When you run them where are your shift points on the NSX? Audi feels smoother because it's a luxury car with sport added and not vice versa

I have brand new Kuhmo Ecsta tires on my wheels and they give better feed back and less road noise than the Stockers did by a long shot.

I don't know what tires came on your car since the stocks would've worn out long ago ,but Kumho's are bulls#it tire and getting rid of those will solve a lot of problems. Go with these and you'll be very happy.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+GS-D3

Ill have the seals checked out, as soon as that 96-98 mph barrier is breached the top sounds like it is going to get sucked off :eek: Hope that does not happen! LOL. No there is just a few things that make me question my purchase over all.

Ohh and the test ride was in a Coupe car, I should have known better.

I guess I need to get the NSX-R chassie brace to get rid of the shake rattle and roll in the front end. And i need to get my stereo installed so I can't hear the wind noise any more.

Im just spoiled by the Audi Interior and need to be more realistic.

I do understand questioning your purchase as I doubted mine until I understood how to drive the NSX. Once you learn how to drive it correctly you'll go "how'd they do that"

What have you been driving your entire life ! ?
Cadillacs ? Lexus's ? Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and other non driver oriented, bland cars ?

Back