NSX Disenchantment-Anyone else have this feeling?

I share your concerns about headroom (even though I'm 5'6") and could see where you're coming from when you compare your Audi to the NSX but you're really comparing apples to oranges.

I installed the NSX-R chassis bars on my 1998 and can notice quite a difference in chassis rigidity when the roof panel is removed. That's a nice, relatively cheap change that you can make with really no downside (other than lightening your wallet and adding a few lb's to the car).

The NSX is no Lexus LS400 inside at speed but it's also no Ferrari 348/355/360.

My guess is that your tire choice and wheel sizes are impacting your ride quality more than you realize.

My dad and I found the NSX to be a very, very comfortable long road, high speed car when we drove out to NSXPO in 2005.

But I will say this, as advanced as the NSX was for it's time... car technology has surpassed it.

IMO, and only MO, a Cayman S is a much better every day mid engined car. It's far easier to live with, far easier to get in and out, and far easier to drive. The chassis is even stiffer than any NSX coupe I've ever driven. But... and I type this with a straight face... for all of it's achievements, it's less visceral and less involving than than NSX is. And for me, those aren't good things in sports cars.

Not really....

02 A4
03 Evo VIII (ran 11:98 in quarter- had tein CO's and JDM suspension parts)
03 Chevrolet SS (ran 12's in the quarter)
02 GTI 337 (full suspension revision for autocross, Rock solid)
05 BMW Z4
04 Audi S4

Meh.
Nice
SS ? Trailblazer ? Cobalt ? =p
Meh
Blah
Meh

My guess is that your tire choice and wheel sizes are impacting your ride quality more than you realize.

Agreed.
I noticed that too. True it looked good, but man, handling over bumps didnt help.

Having el crapo Kumho tires doesnt help either.

Why put bottom of the barrel tires on such an awesome handling car ?

Agreed.
I noticed that too. True it looked good, but man, handling over bumps didnt help.

Having el crapo Kumho tires doesnt help either.

Why put bottom of the barrel tires on such an awesome handling car ?

To get me through winter and then put better rubber on for the summer. No tires hook up in the salt slick layer we have in chicago in the winter, I figured I would burn them out before summer started.

My 525 is quiter than my 91 NSX. My stock NSX exhaust sounds better to me than my stock 02 996 exhaust.

My impressions were somewhat similar coming from a 993tt to the nsx, it will not feel as stable at speed as European sportscars, and the road noise is very high - my shifting is also notchy, even after a fluid change. What makes these items somewhat suprising is the video discussing the nsx, from when it first came out, where they discuss how new advances allow the nsx to be extremely quiet at speed, and several people comment on how smooth the shifting is. The shifter is short, it can be made shorter, but it is not smooth.

Some of the issue has to do with the car's age - the shape of the car is timeless, but it is mechanically an old car. Comparing a design from 1988, essentially, to a current design, nearly 20 years of innovation later, is somewhat unfair, but this is the situation... the solution I have found is to throw money at the car, not the optimum solution, but the slight concerns I had with the suspension have been dialed away, it now feels much better at speed, much more stable, the aged interior has been brought up to spec, power has been greatly increased, exterior modifications make the car appear sportier, a loud but sporty exhaust balances out road noise, leaving me with a notchy transmission. I have changed the fluid, and found limited benefit... sos has several options for rebuilding the unit, this might be the only cure... In my case I made the shifter as short as possible, with a lower knob and dave's short shifter, and it has made it tolerable.

I personally love a "bit" of notchiness in the shifter! I thinkif it were too smooth you would think you were driving and accord. The cowl does shake a bit but only with the top off. I found that with the top on the car feels very stable. I love he car!!

One other possibility regarding the wind noise at speed is that the door glass may need adjusting. At one point I was getting a lot of wind noise in my '91 Coupe at speeds over about 90 mph. I took it to Woodfield Acura, Ted adjusted the windows (I assume according to the procedure in the service manual), and the noise has been gone ever since.

ChitownNSX said:
NSX Disenchantment-Anyone else have this feeling?
nono.gif

I've had my NSX for 1 year now, and I'm still in love with it.

As far as your head being close, I'm 6'2'' and it fine with me. I recline the seat back a bit though.

The ride I guess is subjective. I think it's too soft and I'm actually planning on doubling the spring rate to be around NSX Type-R spec.

As far as noise, I dont have a problem. Around 110mph it gets really loud. You might try taking the targa off, and put it back on. It could not be aligned 100% right. Also theres special grease for the targa which will make it squeak less.

I agree with the cowl shake. The Type-R bars are suppose to fix that. I'm putting them on in a few months.

As far as being fast, it does a 12.9 1/4. Your audi is 4000lbs right. With 310 wheel hp(probably 400 crank hp), it should still only do a mid 13 sec 1/4 right? It shouldn't even be close really...
One thing you may not being doing, assuming you're testing on the highway, is realize where VTec is, and dont gun the car outside of vtec. Downsift until you're sitting around 5500rpm or so, THEN gun it.

As far as pushing, thats your tires, tire pressure and driving style. Put OEM tires on it with OEM pressure and you'll like it. Also, you can EASILY rotate it with your right foot :)

As far as the shifter, its considered one of the best in the world by many car mags. A lot of people like the notchy feel.

One last thing to consider. This is the ONLY supercar that is this trouble free. If you truely feel the NSX is a pain, then forget about a Lambo or Ferrari...

Last edited:
I think the problems you had with the transmission on your car have left you with some bad feeling about the car. You obviously, did not do your home work before purchasing the car, like, comparing it, driving other and most important learning about the NSX
Secondly, your are comparing two different types of cars.

My advice is for you to sell the NSX...let someone else enjoy Her

Bram

My car is a 2003 and has 22k miles on it with a brand new clutch and transmission.

My Daily is a mildly modified V8 S4 that puts down 315hp and 310tq to the wheels, and yes, I have run them side to side and the s4 stays ahead of the NSX up to around 100mph then it fails to keep up! Basicaly 4th gear in the NSX and beyond...(but the audi feels tons smoother and connected to the road at that speed all the way up to 150-160mph)

I have brand new Kuhmo Ecsta tires on my wheels and they give better feed back and less road noise than the Stockers did by a long shot.

Ill have the seals checked out, as soon as that 96-98 mph barrier is breached the top sounds like it is going to get sucked off :eek: Hope that does not happen! LOL. No there is just a few things that make me question my purchase over all.

Ohh and the test ride was in a Coupe car, I should have known better.

I guess I need to get the NSX-R chassie brace to get rid of the shake rattle and roll in the front end. And i need to get my stereo installed so I can't hear the wind noise any more.

Im just spoiled by the Audi Interior and need to be more realistic.

Last edited:
pretty much every NSX I have driven that had understeer issues had crappy tires on it...put some good rubber on it and you will have little to no understeer and the car will feel more stable at speed..as others have noted 18/19 is not the best handling combo for an NSX

If you are trying to compare the way the car feels to a German car than just sell it and get a tank...German cars are almost always heavier than Japanese cars..and they feel more solid and stable because of it.

My 92 NSX has more road noise than my 96 Lexus LS400 but hey It's a 2900lb sports car.

Changing your wheels and tires will change the way the car drives to a tremendous degree.

and Dude why are you driving it on salty roads?....It should be illegal to drive an NSX in crappy weather:biggrin:

When you run them where are your shift points on the NSX?
I was thinking the exact same thing. If you are keeping the accelerator floored, and shifting around redline, the NSX should accelerate MUCH faster than the Audi (under 100 mph as well as above).

One other possibility regarding the wind noise at speed is that the door glass may need adjusting. At one point I was getting a lot of wind noise in my '91 Coupe at speeds over about 90 mph. I took it to Woodfield Acura, Ted adjusted the windows (I assume according to the procedure in the service manual), and the noise has been gone ever since.

The easy way to test this is take a dollar bill, lay it over edge of the glass and close the door(Thank You Mark Basch for this tip:)). Check it every few inches. It should be a little tough to pull:). If the bill pulls with no resistance, the window is out of adjustment. Although the targa's just are not quite as quiet as the coupes, even with proper adjustment.

HTH,
LarryB

A good alignment may be a smart investment sounds to me like its off with your described driving impressions.
A little off makes a big difference, especially with larger wheels
But even all stock the slightest amount of rear toe out will make it feel all wrong.
A bad alignment can also create more road noise.

I think the problems you had with the transmission on your car have left you with some bad feeling about the car. You obversely, did not do your home work before purchasing the car, like, comparing it, driving other and most important learning about the NSX
Secondly, your are comparing two different types of cars.

My advice is for you to sell the NSX...let someone else enjoy Her

Bram
"Obversely"? Just because he has some concerns, does not mean that he should sell the car. I think what the owner is looking for is some empathy, and maybe some guidance on how to fix (or workaround) some of the concerns he has, which other NSX-owners may also have.
Some general observations/conclusions:

1.) The NSX is not an Audi/BMW/Lexus which have newer luxury ameneties, added weight from sound deadening and a design that is less weight-sensitive. Arguably may be better 'designed' for high speed than the NSX, given the market demand of the Autobahn....
2.) The NSX does have wind noise - due in large part from point#1, however, ensuring that the the old seals are still good, window is in allignment and shitzu (sp?) grease are all things that are going to mitigate it.
3.) Good Tires & Allignment is necessary for a positive driving experience and helps point#2
4.) The NSX can be very fast, but it has to be 'taken advantage' of ('raped' shall we say? may not be the most sensitive word but you get the picture..)and driven well to take full advantage of. Honda's love to rev, and they have to be kept in the upper-range of the rpm to get maximum performance.... Audi's peak torque is generally towards the lower/mid so it's easier to take advantage.... The NSX, being a mid-engine car has excellent handling characteristics, which are different then what most people are used to, eg: front-engine car, and those have to be taken into consideration when comparing the two..
5.) NSX is a unique 'class' and not in the same as a Audi S4/BMW M3. Not saying one is better than the other, but they excel at slightly different applications and have pros/cons.
6.) NSX is not made for basketball players... Actually, I will complain about the height issue as well. I'm only 6"0, but with the T-TOP on I don't have as much headroom as I prefer...
Nonetheless, if you can afford it, and you like both of them but concerned about some 'quirks' I say keep both and fix some of the things that are bothersome (which you are doing..) and don't get discouraged by anyone...

As for me, I feel ya. The NSX is not God, it does not last forever, it is not super-duper fast and luxurious and it is not the best of the best of the best of all categories in automobile market.... However, with the right perspective and expectations, a little bit of education and maintenance, it can be a very enjoyable machine...

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I was thinking the exact same thing. If you are keeping the accelerator floored, and shifting around redline, the NSX should accelerate MUCH faster than the Audi (under 100 mph as well as above).

Yeah even with his mods they should maybe running neck and neck. When people aren't use to high rev cars they shift when it starts to get "loud" because they think they might be hurting the car. Not realizing that that's how the car was designed to run and that's where his power is. His S4 only revs to 7K ,but he probably doesn't redline as he wouldn't need to.

An accessory that makes all cars quieter, are Sennheiser anr open air headphones, About 130$. Bose ok too, but overpriced. So far no trouble with the cops, though I take them off when I see a police car.They do not block all sound, just most of the annoying ones. Change your wheels to stock 16-17.

Your wheels may be whats holding you back, anything above 17'-18' in the rear is too much and will take away some performance.

Disenchanted here. Traffic officers are always keeping an eye on it waiting to give me a ticket. 70 in an NSX = 85+ in any other regular car. Minivans with cell phones and DVD players in full use while driving = a presidential motorcade..... it can do no wrong. :rolleyes: :tongue: :confused:

My soap box.

I test drove an Audi TT and that thing pushed around like the front tires were made of ice. It was horrible compared to my nsx. Weird.

I do know one thing though, lose the 18/19s. Stick with 17/17 or 17/18 and it should make a world of difference. My stocker 15/16 generate no noise but they also cut down on the noises the car woudl make when hitting bumps. My 18/19's on the other hand generate no noise BUT they let bumps in the road jar and rattle the car baddly.

nono.gif

I have this same problem now on my car. I wonder if Acura would cover it under warranty? I get excessive wind noise above 70 mph, and it's coming from the driver side window.

I have this same problem now on my car. I wonder if Acura would cover it under warranty? I get excessive wind noise above 70 mph, and it's coming from the driver side window.
Yes. If your car is still covered by the warranty, the dealer should be happy to adjust this at no charge to you.

I just performed the dollar trick as explained by Larry B, and the windows seem fine. I wonder if it could be a trim issue. I inspected the trim and it looks fine. Sorry for taking this thread ot.

Back