NSX-AUDI R8 comparison

It won't smoke an NSX with a CTSC and some basic suspension mods.

Totally agree with that.

The Audi R8 may be made of aluminum, but it is in fact much heavier than it should have been. The size of the car probably has to do a lot with that and also the fact it really carries a BIG engine.
Which was exactly why Honda choose to stick with a V6 when it was developing the NSX. Of course, supercar power-to-weight ratios where different then.

But still, an Audi R8 fully fueled is a little over 3500 lbs. With 420 HP that makes for about 8.33 lbs/HP.
A 3000 lbs NSX needs only 360 engine-HP achieve the same ratio. That's only about 317 RWHP !! :eek: And even then, the Audi R8 has a four-wheel drive arrangement which eats up a lot of power. I read that a R8 puts down only about 342 HP at the wheels. Even a low-boost CTSC equiped NSX can duplicatie that figure and then still is about 440 lbs lighter.

Also don't forget the NSX outperformed it's Ferrari and Porsche competitors. The R8 only outperforms the 911:biggrin:

At VIR though it couldn't even manage to beat a "stock" C6 Corvettes track time.

Haha, for the most part yup.

I work at BMW. Man we get a lot of cars in there.... :frown:

Can you please explain which cars were in for service and what the condition of each were (whatever you can remember.) My father has owned several BMWs of varied models, some new some used and all have been rock solid, great performing, and very reliable.

Totally agree with that.

I read that a R8 puts down only about 342 HP at the wheels. Even a low-boost CTSC equiped NSX can duplicatie that figure and then still is about 440 lbs lighter.

yes, thats what it put down at road and track's dyno. The RS8 will be better I am sure, but now we are talking even more dollars. And its still ugly compared to the NSX. :biggrin:

Sorry I was a bit behind on the R8 related news.

When did the car went on sale? I stopped by a local Audi dealer about a month ago and did not see any R8 in the showroom.

Are they asking a premium for the R8?

What would be the monthly lease, has anyone done any calculation or talked to the dealer yet?

I'm just curious ... Still love the NSX and is looking for a newer model to replace my old one. I think if anyone wants to buy a "new" mid engine sports car similar to the NSX, the R8 is probably the closest thing we can buy. I think all in all we should be glad Audi took what Acura left off and introduced this R8 mid-engine supercar.

German cars suck.

Can you please elaborate on this, my father has owned several german cars (mostly) BMWs new and used and has never had a problem with any of them.

No. But I'm sure 95EagleAWD will since he sees the junk on a daily basis.

It won't smoke an NSX with a CTSC and some basic suspension mods.

Only in your dreams will you be staring through the rear view and be seeing an R8. The car is a monster:wink:

I dont know what all the hype is about, It really looks ugly IMO.
Have you seen one IRL yet? I was thoroughly unimpressed by the pictures, but when I first saw one for real I was floored. The R8 just doesn't seem to photograph well, but it is a sweet looking car.

As much as I like the NSX I think we are dreaming that it will beat this thing, unless we are talking heavily modified.

yea, like Factor X cars and maybe one of those HP Turbo NSX's. CTSC cars cant touch them:wink:

i don't even think the R8 looks that great. looks like a big friggen TT (esp now that they revamped the front to look like the R8).

oh, also.... it's an AUDI. audi is trash.

Crazy-Man Weigart thinks those cars are worth $500k; he was trying to move one on ebay motors a few years back for that amount...

no takers :rolleyes:

Are you sure that wasn't his new V12 model? I still like the looks of the V8 better.

Wow...in the 80s (in San Diego), I met "the guy" (can't recall his name) with his Vector (mule) at a car show...I think I even sat in it.

Sounds like you saw the W2 prototype. Did you meet Weigart himself or one of his lackeys?

Some of you guys keep yapping about the power / weight ratio and it will not stand up to F-cars and other exotics...

The lap time of the R8 says otherwise...check out the bottom table of the link...

IMO, if a car that's "heavy as pig" and "looks fugly", has "only 420bps" from a "pathetic V8" can run a lap within 1 sec from the Enzo, it's a great achievement.

What do I know, I don't even own a car now. :rolleyes:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/car..._porsche_911_v_bmw_m6_v_prodrive_vantage.html

Some of you guys keep yapping about the power / weight ratio and it will not stand up to F-cars and other exotics...

The lap time of the R8 says otherwise...check out the bottom table of the link...

IMO, if a car that's "heavy as pig" and "looks fugly", has "only 420bps" from a "pathetic V8" can run a lap within 1 sec from the Enzo, it's a great achievement.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/car..._porsche_911_v_bmw_m6_v_prodrive_vantage.html

I have no doubt it is fast around a track. I was commenting that it won't "smoke" a CTSC NSX in a straight line, that's all. For a supercar its a heavy one, hence the "pig" comment, but taking into consideration the AWD they did a good job with it. Its still not the most attractive car in the world. I have seen it in person. It's not really "fugly" if you compare it to a Boxter, the Audi TT, something like that. For an exotic car north of 110K, its not the prettiest one out there.

I did go to SERIOUSLY test drive one, so obviously I am not looking at it as a POS. Just saying some facts like they are. Its a very nice car. I will just wait until the RS8 is out and maybe pickup a used R8 for a song (just like with all Audi's) after a year or two to add to the NSX (which isn't going anywhere).

Sorry I was a bit behind on the R8 related news.

When did the car went on sale? I stopped by a local Audi dealer about a month ago and did not see any R8 in the showroom.

Are they asking a premium for the R8?

What would be the monthly lease, has anyone done any calculation or talked to the dealer yet?

I'm just curious ... Still love the NSX and is looking for a newer model to replace my old one. I think if anyone wants to buy a "new" mid engine sports car similar to the NSX, the R8 is probably the closest thing we can buy. I think all in all we should be glad Audi took what Acura left off and introduced this R8 mid-engine supercar.

Audi of Stevens Creek had a silver one that I got to see and sit inside on Monday afternoon (not sure if it's still there), so you might want to call and check it out if you are interested.

IMHO: After seeing the R8 in person the car to get right now would be a Superleggera :cool:, there are at least 2 Gallardo Superleggera's around the SF Bay Area that I'm aware of, a yellow one with black accent's and a carbon black one that was sitting at Sillicon Valley Auto Group in Los Gatos they both look sick :D

Can you please explain which cars were in for service and what the condition of each were (whatever you can remember.) My father has owned several BMWs of varied models, some new some used and all have been rock solid, great performing, and very reliable.

Sure.

When I see cars with 4000 miles on the clock coming in for warranty work, check engine lights, SRS lights, and a host more electrical problems, it completely turned me off the brand, to the point where I don't want to work there anymore. I want a 99-02 M Coupe. Now I'm not so sure. The maintenace would kill me.

And don't even get me started on the attitude I get in there. Yes, I know you own a 98 320. It's still a piece of shit since you didn't maintain it.

:mad:

I've to agree!!:smile:

Nothing to add here.
icon14.gif

after a year or two to add to the NSX
You always buy cars you consider to be ugly? :confused:

Back