No recognition for the NSX

I would guess the few people who are in the market to buy a BRAND new sports car are looking at cars that are in fact BRAND new... The new NSX afterall is a derivative of the same one offered in 1991... so unless they really know how awesome NSXs are, they are definitely gonna be turned off by the age of the design. What they should have at the NSX booth is NSXs running track laps next to other exotic sports cars to remind everyone the NSX's true potential. 99.9% of the consumers just don't understand what it means to drive a fun raw sports car, so its not really a priority to them.

HP numbers, appearance, and luxury seems to be what most Americans are interested in.

Originally posted by kenjiMR:

HP numbers, appearance, and luxury seems to be what most Americans are interested in.

and don't forget reputation and prestige....some of my friends tell me why spend so much on a "Japanese" car...I'm like what the???? True car enthusiasts go into the core of the car not just a badge that's worth an additional $30k....I for one thing don't like people buying cars just to squeeze into the "Ooh...I own a BMW or Mercedes" image.

Sample conversation....

Other: So what do you drive? I own a BMW.
Me: I own an Acura.
Other: (ha...I've won half the battle)
Me: So which model?
Other: Err...well, it's nothing much...an early model 318ti...what about you?
Me: The ultimate driving machine....NSX-T (yeah, baby)

I've owned nothing but Japanese cars: Mitsubishi 3000GT, Honda S2000 and now the NSX-T. All top of the line sports in their lineup. I choose them not because they're at the top of the lineup, but because they are worth the money and possess excellent qualities....performance, reliability, etc...

I'm not saying any of lowest European models are inferior in any way, I'm just sick of people buying for the badge. I guess European auto MFGs see this as an advantage and that's why we have many low models that sell....

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

From autospies.com:

What cars do Germans like best?
German cars, right?

J.D. Powers survey

What cars do Germans like the best?

Japanese?

A new J.D. Power survey finds that Germany’s drivers may enjoy their own products but many prefer Japanese-made vehicles. The survey of 15,000 German drivers put Toyota first in customer satisfaction in six categories, while the Nissan Maxima placed first among luxury cars even against competition from Mercedes and BMW

Very interesting....

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

I do agree. For most americans (not all), image is everything. I could care less about badges. If the NSX was made by Kia and the quality was still the same, I would still buy it regardless.

Now I received an '87 BMW 325e with over 120K miles on it when I started driving. Even though I state the BMW is just my beater and that I hate the car, people still seem impressed because "it's a BMW." It's been nothing but problems for me. Some of my friends also think I'm crazy when I will spend such a large amount of money on a japanese car (NSX) instead of going for a used Porsche Boxster, BMW M3, etc.

[This message has been edited by Dan H (edited 10 January 2003).]

Actually, from this thread i have a good idea, which would increase recognition (AND SALES) of the NSX.

At car shows, allow people to sit in the NSX! They can examine the car's inside and see for themself the quality/feel. I know they rope exotics off so people 'think' they are more exotic, but Honda/Acura has to get real... it doesn't have an exotic name.

So what if Honda has to sell the NSX as a demo model afterward; it would be cheaper and more effective than $$$ advertising & marketing.

what do u guys think?
Should i send my resume to Honda?
wink.gif

------------------
NeoNSX
Trinity: "What do we need?"
NeoNSX : "an NSX... lots of NSX's..."

Neat idea, Neo. Too bad Honda doesn't seem to listen
frown.gif
I think a full-screen video game simulation would also do the trick, so people can experience (via virtual reality) the low piloting position.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
frown.gif
I think a full-screen video game simulation would also do the trick, so people can experience (via virtual reality) the low piloting position.

Nah, I disagree... people can already buy a wide-screen TV and play Gran Turismo. (I own GranTurismo.com) But I will tell you, that driving the NSX on a REAL racetrack is NOTHING like driving in a video game.... the adrenaline rush and enjoyment is on a totally different level. What would impress people is for them to know that the NSX is still a supercar... show the NSX-R kicking the crap out of a brand new Porsche C4S, or just good old raw racing footage with in-car and track-side footage. Maybe even have Gran Turismo running on one screen with demo laps on Laguna Seca, and have a real NSX doing laps on Laguna Seca. That would definitely get casual people excited.... Most people don't realize you can take just regular cars onto racetracks.

frown.gif

yeah... if they did i'd have a dream job... working at Honda.
smile.gif

*lol* that would be L337...
or even better... play 'Getaway in Stockholm' on DVD...on your LCD-screen inside your NSX! Woohooo!!!!!!!!!

------------------
NeoNSX
Trinity: "What do we need?"
NeoNSX : "an NSX... lots of NSX's..."

Back