NH NSX 2003 Sept. 20

Is anyone keeping track of the hurricane that is supposed to be hitting the east coast later this week? As of now, it's a Cat4. Could be interesting up on the coast of Maine next weekend.

NSXLNT said:
Is anyone keeping track of the hurricane that is supposed to be hitting the east coast later this week? As of now, it's a Cat4. Could be interesting up on the coast of Maine next weekend.

I was just looking at the 5 day forcast and its rain rain rain till friday there saying.......lets hope it takes a turn out to sea.

Report:

MIAMI (Sept. 13) - Hurricane Isabel's sustained winds increased to 160 mph Saturday as the Category 5 hurricane swirled ominously closer to the East Coast.

The hurricane had earlier been lowered to a Category 4 storm after its sustained winds fell to 150 mph. It was reclassified after a hurricane hunter plane flew into the eye to measure its intensity Saturday afternoon. A hurricane hits the top of the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale when its winds reach 156 mph.

The slow-moving, powerful storm was still several days from land, and forecasters were unsure if it would strike the United States. However, computer models predicted it would turn toward the Carolinas over the next five days.

``It's not definite, but things are looking more ominous than yesterday for the East Coast,'' National Hurricane Center meteorologist Eric Blake said Saturday.

At 5 p.m. EDT, Isabel was centered about 375 miles northeast of San Juan, Puerto Rico, and moving west-northwest at 12 mph. Forecasters expected it to continue that movement until Sunday afternoon.

Large ocean swells and dangerous surf conditions were forecast for the Leeward Islands in the northeastern Caribbean. And the U.S. State Department issued a travel warning Friday advising tourists to avoid the Bahamas because of the storm.

The National Hurricane Center's five-day forecast for Isabel put the hurricane roughly 200 miles east of the North Carolina-South Carolina border early Thursday, if it makes a predicted turn to the northwest. But hurricanes can be unpredictable, and long-range forecasts have large possibilities for error.

Forecasters said Hurricane Isabel could still strike anywhere from north Florida through the mid-Atlantic, and officials warned East Coast residents to be alert. They expected to know more about the potential direction of the storm late this weekend.

``If you've been lax with your hurricane preparations, now's a really good time to catch up,'' Blake said.

Some residents along the East Coast were taking that advice, buying water, plywood and other supplies just in case Isabel made landfall.

``They don't want to get caught with their pants down,'' said Steve Myers, who sold plenty of plywood - despite the highest prices in a decade - at the 84 Lumber he co-manages in Georgetown, S.C. A half-inch-thick sheet now costs about $20, but that's ``cheaper than a $300 window,'' Myers said.

In coastal Georgia, the Chatham County Emergency Management Agency encouraged people to review their hurricane plans, which should include adequate supplies, updated insurance coverage and evacuation routes.

``It's still a long ways away (but) we have to prepare as if it's coming here,'' said agency director Phillip Webber.

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and other state officials were briefed Saturday by the state Emergency Management Division on emergency preparations. The state went on an elevated alert status Friday.

Water management officials in Florida were also worried about some of the already-swollen rivers and lakes because a direct hit from a hurricane could cause severe flooding.

National Guard officials in the Southeast said enough troops were ready to help if necessary, despite mobilizations in Iraq and other parts of the world.

The last Atlantic hurricane to develop into a Category 5 storm was Mitch in 1998, which killed about 11,000 people in Central America.

The last two Category 5 hurricanes to strike the U.S. coast were Andrew in 1992 and Camille in 1969. Andrew, still the most expensive natural disaster in U.S. history with a $30 billion damage toll, tore through south Florida and Louisiana, killing 43 people. Camille killed 143 on the Gulf Coast and 113 in Virginia flooding.

The Atlantic hurricane season began June 1 and ends Nov. 30.

09/13/03 21:32 EDT

Well guys, this stinks. I hate to pessimistic, but it looks like we are probably going to get hit. Unless something drastic happens, this thing is going to be right in our path for this coming weekend. This says it all, taken from CNN Sunday night:

Hurricane center forecasters said they expected the storm to hit the U.S. East Coast by the end of the week, but added that air currents and condition could push it further north before landfall.

"Landfall along the U.S. Mid-Atlantic coast somewhere between North Carolina and New Jersey between four or five days is appearing more and more likely," the hurricane center said.

My oracle told me that it won't rain on Sat.
Also, the word "r**n" should be prohibited to use in this thread in order to remove any bad karma :D

The weather on Saturday is not the problem. Latest estimates
have Isabel slamming into the east coast sometime Thursday night or Friday, somewhere between Carolina and New Jersey. Several of our attendees are coming from Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York and Connecticut, and are planning on making the trip north on Friday afternoon, meaning that they would be driving much of the way through what is expected to be a minimum Cat3 Hurricane. Anyone have any thoughts on contingency plans? I don't mind the car getting wet, but swept away is another story...Not trying to be a pessimist, just being concerned at this point.

I think our only option is to "wait and see" unfortunately. Obviously, this storm can track in any number of directions and hit us hard, soft or miss us altogether. Let's keep in touch in this thread as we get closer.

Bob

'cane

Folks-

Trying to be optomistic about this weekend. Hopefully, all will go well. Car is heaping with Griots and ready to go!

Will keep in touch-

NevSX

I say the heck with the weather:D:D:D....Personally I'm having a horrible week and I'm looking forward to the weekend. I'm going to be starting my trip from NJ at about 9:00PM on Friday, so I'll be in the dark and in a hurricane. I don't care, my car has great wipers, and the best headlights of any car I've driven. Plus with my new SO3s my car drives better in the rain then my Jeep Cherokee (when it's in 2WD of course). I'm bringing some cleaning supplies so I can shine the car up on Saturday, and I'll be all set. All I know is there better not be snow :):):)

S03's!!!

jadkar said:
Plus with my new SO3s my car drives better in the rain then my Jeep Cherokee (when it's in 2WD of course).

How would you say they compare with the OEM tires in the rain (and dry). I'm considering S03's next for the NSXX. I already love them on my WRX.
I know its not on-topic, but just had to ask about the S03's

I'll try to make this quick so that we stay on topic :D:D:D:

Wet Traction - I have wider SO3s on wider than stock wheels, and still the car in the rain is far far far better then my stock tires were. My stock tires had about 40% left. My NSX, no joke, is the best car I have for rain travel. I just drove up from NC recently and it poured!! from DC to NJ and the car was solid, at one point I had to slow down because my instincts said "It's raining you fool!!"

Dry Traction - I wish I could give you a definite answer, but I can't. You see the car handles night and day, however at the same time of my tire & wheel change I also did sway bars, Zanardi springs, and adjustable Konis. I'm still waiting for my type R chassis bars :(:(:(:( But if I had to guess wider tires, especially SO3s would improve handling.

They are incredible tires.

Hi Guys,

I've been tracking the storm. If the storm continues its current pattern. It will miss New England and head into PA.

The Boston forcast for the weekend is showers Friday followed by Sunny, 80's on Saturday and Sunday.

I also heard the winds have died down from 150 MPH to 115 MPH. We can only hope this trend continues for our friends and families in NC, and the impacted areas.

I will keep tracking. I belive we will have a solid plot Weds.

Also the shirts came out great. The best yet.

Cheers Rich

Looks like we are going to luck out with the weather. Don't forget that we will departing from the rest stop on 684 at 3:00pm on friday if you are interested in joining the caravan. Please email me to confirm that you will be joining us there so that we don't leave anyone behind.

Bob

NH weather update 12:00 Noon

Raining now, clearing and brightening later today (chance of a shower) and clear to partly cloudy Saturday and sunny for Sunday.

The NH forcast is different than what I am seeing on the Boston Stations.
The weather is moving south to north.

Don't forget to fill your tanks. I will attempt send an e-mail with directions to the self car wash in Nashua.

See most of you guys tonight you guy tonight

I will be there by 3:00 PM

Rich

Folks,

I will not be able to join you for the Caravan. I will meet you guys up there later in the evening. Have a safe ride:).

LarryB

Great time!

It was great catching up with everyone again and meeting those whom I've not met before...

Thanks again to Rich and Amanda for organizing and hosting us.

The photos I took are on my site:
http://nsxne.francisgan.com

Here are a couple of teasers:
DE0D2532.jpg

Panorama1_cropped_1-2048wide.jpg

Thank you, Rich, for the great event and the beautiful weather.

Thank you, Francis, for the amazing pictures!!! :eek: :eek:

Rich and Amanda,

Absolutely GREAT event. Stephanie and I had a wonderful time. Great weather (Did I say that in the NE LOL...............) great friends, shoreline views, food, drink, and to top it off a really fun ride back to NY.

Great to see everyone again, hope to see you soon.

Thanks so much Rich and Amanda:)

LarryB and Stephanie

Back