New NSX owner

I will be a new NSX owner by the next two weeks while my car is prepped for shipping and transport into the states. It is a 04 Honda NSX targa with 40 miles on it. It is coming from Germany. It is RHD. I was wandering before it arrives. Is there anything I need to have done before it cant be registered here in the states. I stay in Atlanta. Oh and I would love to meet with other NSX owners here in Atlanta just to have a few friends that share the same interest as me.

Last edited:
Epic post, 04, 40 miles, RHD, either you are the biggest troll or one cool guy!

Please post pics!

Oscar

Epic post, 04, 40 miles, RHD, either you are the biggest troll or one cool guy!

Please post pics!

Oscar

Although it does sound make believe I reassure you that it is not. It was purchased by a collector in Germany from the Dealer Brand New and was delivered straight to his garage. I was just wandering what modifications need to be done prior its arrival. Thanks.

Pretty sure you will have to talk to a Registered Importer as it will need to meet US EPA and DOT regulations with some possible modifications, and I'm not sure that anyone has actually, legally registered a RHD NSX in the USA without finding some sort of loophole such as a dealer plate.

Your car may get stuck in Customs for a length of time.

Pretty sure you will have to talk to a Registered Importer as it will need to meet US EPA and DOT regulations with some possible modifications, and I'm not sure that anyone has actually, legally registered a RHD NSX in the USA without finding some sort of loophole such as a dealer plate.

Your car may get stuck in Customs for a length of time.

Thank you for your input. I will surely talk to somebody about its regulations it has to meet. I am highly anticipating its arrival as this has always been my dream to own. I do hope customs dont hold it for long.

Another guy trying to get a RHD NSX into the states.It might cause you a lot of headaches to make this happen legally. All I can do is wish you luck.

If the car is RHD I would sell it to one of those collectors in China who pay top $ for cars like these and then I would but a clean USDM '05...

If the car is RHD I would sell it to one of those collectors in China who pay top $ for cars like these and then I would but a clean USDM '05...

Im actually thinking of Garaging this car and buying another one of the same model that already has some miles on it. This maybe the last NSX with this few miles on it.

I hate to say this but you should have reviewed the following link before you purchased this 04 NSX:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

From what I can tell you'll be hard pressed to get the FMVSS sticker or any compliance as this 04 Honda NSX was made and certified for the European market. Plus you'll need to post a modification bond equalling one and a half times the dutiable charge which is above and beyond your duty charge as well!!! Even if you wanted to "garage" this NSX it won't even leave customs until its modified (if it can) to meet U.S. standards.

Use the link above to contact one of the Registered Importers and then determine whether your car can actually be legally imported. Having read further into this there is a list of non-conforming cars that can be RHD that are eligible and unfortunately the NSX isn't one of them:

http://stnw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig092210.pdf

I think you'll be screwed unfortunately. Otherwise we'd all be bringing in Type R's from Japan. :(

Last edited:
Why would a RHD NSX be in Germany? They imported nothing but LHD NSXs for their market.

If you are importing the NSX into the US, it will have to spend time with the EPA and DOT getting approval and converted into US standards. You WILL NOT clear customs until this is done.

As far as I know, I do not think any RHD NSXs exist in the US.

I am here in Atlanta. PM me if you would like to discuss. I have imported quite a few cars myself from Germany.

have fun keeping it in your garage and never drive it

they will impound it, if you can ever get it out of the Customs impound

good luck on that.

if I could get a RHD NSX I would have 10 of them.

so I only have 3 LHD NSX's

Last edited:
I hate to say this but you should have reviewed the following link before you purchased this 04 NSX:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

From what I can tell you'll be hard pressed to get the FMVSS sticker or any compliance as this 04 Honda NSX was made and certified for the European market. Plus you'll need to post a modification bond equalling one and a half times the dutiable charge which is above and beyond your duty charge as well!!! Even if you wanted to "garage" this NSX it won't even leave customs until its modified (if it can) to meet U.S. standards.

Use the link above to contact one of the Registered Importers and then determine whether your car can actually be legally imported. Having read further into this there is a list of non-conforming cars that can be RHD that are eligible and unfortunately the NSX isn't one of them:

http://stnw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig092210.pdf

I think you'll be screwed unfortunately. Otherwise we'd all be bringing in Type R's from Japan. :(

Wow. Kinda hurts me a little on the inside to read this. I surely do hope I can have it modified. The price of the modifications do no mean anything to me and if do not allow this car it more than likely be shipped back to live with my father in law in germany. Since its Labour day im going to have to contact a importer tomorrow. I do not see why it would be so hard to import a RHD drive car since I've seen so many RX7's and Supra's that are RHD before. I appreciate your help.

Another interesting spin on this is do you really want to modify for importation a bone-stock, rare car that has only 40 miles?

Why would a RHD NSX be in Germany? They imported nothing but LHD NSXs for their market.

If you are importing the NSX into the US, it will have to spend time with the EPA and DOT getting approval and converted into US standards. You WILL NOT clear customs until this is done.

As far as I know, I do not think any RHD NSXs exist in the US.

I am here in Atlanta. PM me if you would like to discuss. I have imported quite a few cars myself from Germany.

The car was bought by a collector straight from japan and stored in his warehouse where he has ALOT of other Sports Cars from the same era. He even has a mint condition Ferrari 308. And if with so many few miles on this car it doesnt really have a history. It comes with all the Service receipts. Sticker price. Everything is stock straight from a dealer. It was fully loaded with all the extras that costed more with a Manual transmission.

Hate to say it, but this sounds like BS:wink:

Another interesting spin on this is do you really want to modify for importation a bone-stock, rare car that has only 40 miles?

That is a good point. I wasnt planning on keeping the car to storage it when it was bought. I didnt really pick the car. It was a gift from somebody else. I was planning on getting a NSX off one of the members here but my father in law wanted to buy it himself while he was still in germany and ship it over here. So it wasn't really in my hands.

Hate to say it, but this sounds like BS:wink:

I respect your comment but I guess if it is allowed in the states I will post pics of it on a regular basis. It shall arrive through the 21st-25th of this month. I do not have the receipt for the purchase of this car since I did not buy it.

Back