NASCAR + Road Course = Crash Fest Photos

F1, NASCAR.....blah...they're both boring if you ask me. :rolleyes:

My friends are into NASCAR and every once in a while, I'll try to watch some of the race. 20 laps into it, and I'm dead asleep.

I can however, watch golf for hours on end. But that's an issue between me and my therapist.

Look man. I'm not interested in watching race cars that "assist" the drivers.

Your argument that F1 has too much electronic aid is moot as of 2008. F1 will not have traction control or ABS in 2008. They also haven't had ABS since 1994. You don't need electronic assitance when you're going around in circles and there's no need to outbrake anyone. :rolleyes:

If the skill levels were equal between F1 and NASCAR you'd see drivers moving from NASCAR to F1 where the money is. You don't. The only reason JPM moved to NASCAR is because he couldn't cut in in F1 anymore and he already lived in the USA. Same story with Jacques Villeneuve. Couldn't cut it in F1 anymore. BTW, F1 is much more popular than NASCAR worldwide, just like soccer. But American's generally don't care about anything outside of America.

You've already admitted one needs a greater skill set for F1...consequently, more skill. There are more things to process, more things to remember. Not saying certain NASCAR driver's don't posess those skills but there's no way to tell based on the skill set needed for NASCAR.

Everyone keeps bringing up Jeff Gordon's run in the F1 car. That was one driver, one time. Sure, he did very very well. But it's also possible he's just a fantastic driver. Who knows how another NASCAR driver might perform?

:biggrin:
Your argument that F1 has too much electronic aid is moot as of 2008. F1 will not have traction control or ABS in 2008. They also haven't had ABS since 1994. You don't need electronic assitance when you're going around in circles and there's no need to outbrake anyone. :rolleyes:

If the skill levels were equal between F1 and NASCAR you'd see drivers moving from NASCAR to F1 where the money is. You don't. The only reason JPM moved to NASCAR is because he couldn't cut in in F1 anymore and he already lived in the USA. Same story with Jacques Villeneuve. Couldn't cut it in F1 anymore. BTW, F1 is much more popular than NASCAR worldwide, just like soccer. But American's generally don't care about anything outside of America.

You've already admitted one needs a greater skill set for F1...consequently, more skill. There are more things to process, more things to remember. Not saying certain NASCAR driver's don't posess those skills but there's no way to tell based on the skill set needed for NASCAR.

Everyone keeps bringing up Jeff Gordon's run in the F1 car. That was one driver, one time. Sure, he did very very well. But it's also possible he's just a fantastic driver. Who knows how another NASCAR driver might perform?

Cool maybe I'll start watching after 2008. That's fine, different strokes is right. F1 is boring. Everyone qualifies for the race. Very little passing. People that qualify up front almost always win the race, half the time they finish almost exactly the way they started. Hell... might as well just run against the clock and call it a day. The fastest time for qualifying is determined the race winner. F1 drivers don't need a greater skill set. I don't consider remembering 10 turns a skill set. Skills are controlling the car. Unless you're running around some insane track like the Nurburgring.... remembering turns should be as basic and starting the car. Nascar drivers out brake each other in turns all the time. Look at a road course race where they actually pass each other. On ovals, no they don't out "brake" per say, but they stay in the throttle longer than someone else before letting off in a turn... pretty much the same thing. Guys my flame suit is 10 feet thick... so if you want to keep it up, then keep it up. F1 is a boring parade. :biggrin: And yes J.R. Rally driving is bad a$$.

Cool maybe I'll start watching after 2008. That's fine, different strokes is right. F1 is boring. Everyone qualifies for the race. Very little passing. People that qualify up front almost always win the race, half the time they finish almost exactly the way they started. Hell... might as well just run against the clock and call it a day. The fastest time for qualifying is determined the race winner. F1 drivers don't need a greater skill set. I don't consider remembering 10 turns a skill set. Skills are controlling the car. Unless you're running around some insane track like the Nurburgring.... remembering turns should be as basic and starting the car. Nascar drivers out brake each other in turns all the time. Look at a road course race where they actually pass each other. On ovals, no they don't out "brake" per say, but they stay in the throttle longer than someone else before letting off in a turn... pretty much the same thing. Guys my flame suit is 10 feet thick... so if you want to keep it up, then keep it up. F1 is a boring parade. :biggrin: And yes J.R. Rally driving is bad a$$.

See its not so hard. :wink: Not one blatantly untrue statement there, but we disagree on our interpretation of the information. Which is awesome -

F1 is a much, much more physically demading type of racing and that is not debatable. The G-forces invloved are enormous and lightning fast reflexes are necessary to maintain control of the car. Balance is much more important in an F1 car than in NASCAR. In order to maximize the balance and extract the maximum performance out of an F1 car one needs to be extremely talented.

So I'm curious as to how you can compare a sport whose peak age is mid twenties to a sport whose peak age is 40+. It's no coincidence that most F1 driver retire well before 40--most before 35. They simply can't cut it anymore. There are very few NASCAR drivers, if any, who are as physically fit as the most out-of-shape F1 driver.

What this means is that the skills and reflexes needed in F1 are so great the body can't even keep up after you hit the early thirties. Then experience can hold you over for a few years, but not for long.

The physical strains in F1 are great. Most NASCAR drivers have never experienced anything like them. To say that the skills needed to drive a stock car are similar to driving a Formula car you're completely mistaken. It's possible some can/could adapt but it's apples and oranges. Sure, there are some things an F1 driver would need to learn to drive NASCAR but there's a lot the NASCAR driver would have to learn to drive an F1 car.

F1 is a much, much more physically demading type of racing and that is not debatable. The G-forces invloved are enormous and lightning fast reflexes are necessary to maintain control of the car. Balance is much more important in an F1 car than in NASCAR. In order to maximize the balance and extract the maximum performance out of an F1 car one needs to be extremely talented.

So I'm curious as to how you can compare a sport whose peak age is mid twenties to a sport whose peak age is 40+. It's no coincidence that most F1 driver retire well before 40--most before 35. They simply can't cut it anymore. There are very few NASCAR drivers, if any, who are as physically fit as the most out-of-shape F1 driver.

What this means is that the skills and reflexes needed in F1 are so great the body can't even keep up after you hit the early thirties. Then experience can hold you over for a few years, but not for long.

The physical strains in F1 are great. Most NASCAR drivers have never experienced anything like them. To say that the skills needed to drive a stock car are similar to driving a Formula car you're completely mistaken. It's possible some can/could adapt but it's apples and oranges. Sure, there are some things an F1 driver would need to learn to drive NASCAR but there's a lot the NASCAR driver would have to learn to drive an F1 car.

I agree with the g-forces placed upon F1 drivers make it no doubt a more strenuous demand on the body. But unfortunatly that doesn't make the race more fun to watch. And I think there is more concentration involved running in a pack of 43 than running practically by yourself. The most exciting moment of an F1 race is the first turn on the first lap. After that it's all the same.

The most exciting moment of a Nascar race is the first turn on the first lap after that it's all the same.

One thing no one is mentioning is the range of speed in F1.

The most exciting moment of a Nascar race is the first turn on the first lap after that it's all the same.
One thing no one is mentioning is the range of speed in F1.

That was just dumb. There is action throughout an entire Nascar race. You know the action is limited in F1. I'm done. It's not worth it. It's all just opinion. You think F1 is the bomb, I like door to door action. I'm pulling the eject handle on this one. No more of this thread. :tongue:

Back