My NSX was hit a few hours ago...

Ok. I have had this car about a month now. It is my very first one. I think i'm getting somewhere with it, then something else starts making noise or something. I park it outside 5 minutes and it gets hit in the rear. My rear bumper has a small crack in it and is scratched up. Has anyone had any experience with insurance claims with the NSX and the value of the parts? Thanks in advance!

Ok. I have had this car about a month now. It is my very first one. I think i'm getting somewhere with it, then something else starts making noise or something. I park it outside 5 minutes and it gets hit in the rear. My rear bumper has a small crack in it and is scratched up. Has anyone had any experience with insurance claims with the NSX and the value of the parts? Thanks in advance!

It won't be that bad if it is just the bumper cover.

I think i'm getting somewhere with it, then something else starts making noise or something.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Anyway, congrats on your car! Bumper damage is not so bad. It can be easily fixed. I wouldn't bother claiming it depending what your deductible is. You can find a used bumper for cheap.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Anyway, congrats on your car! Bumper damage is not so bad. It can be easily fixed. I wouldn't bother claiming it depending what your deductible is. You can find a used bumper for cheap.

It depends if you have the information of the other party that hit you.

If you have the other party's information, of course claim it.

If it was a hit and run, then it would depend on the damage. You can take it to a dealer or auto repair shop to get an free estimate.

I guess we need more information to help you. Posting pictures of the damage will help also.

I believe bumper is $1024

if youre replacing it, KEEP THE ORIGINAL there is a VIN on it and when you go to sell it someone may want proof the car was "Tapped" and showing the original will help greatly.

just my opinion

if youre repairing it, probably a 700 fix

The other party's insurance is repairing it. I just want to make sure i don't get hosed. I don't want anybody touching my car, so I would rather them just cut me a check for the bumper. I would use the money for something under the hood anyway. :)

You can get paid for this - for the entire value of the repair cost including parts, labor, etc. Typically you'd go get an estimate and then ask to be paid instead and they'll cut you a check. Don't go to their "recommended" body shop though if you can help it or you'll get low balled. It takes an extra step as they send one of their adjusters over to your shop of choice, but it's typically worth your time in $$$. Also remember that you can take the car to any shop you want. Typically their adjuster will haggle with the body shop over things like hourly rate etc so you may not get the full value of the original estimate, but it will still be way better than their recommended body shop.

Go get three estimates from high end repair shops or dealers. Those estimates will be free and usually on the high side estimates.

Ask the other party's insurance to send out an claims adjuster to your house. He will likely low ball you. You can show him some of the estimates you got, but don't expect him to change his numbers. It's not really important that he does.

Instead, dispute the low ball repair estimate with the agent handling the claim on the phone. Tell them you want them to cut you a check but to give you the average of your three estimates. Be polite but firm. If you are still unable to come to an agreement on the repair estimate price, then just tell them you'll sue their policy holder for the amount in small claims court with your written estimates. If this doesn't get them to change their mind, put this request in writing and tell them they have 10 days to respond.

If they still decline, you have to decide if it is worth your while suing them in small claims court. You will easily have a win and will get the average of the three estimates from the judge. But, I doubt it will get this far. If you filed a court claim, I guarantee they will settle this out immediatey.

Your other choice is to file a claim against your own insurance company. This will not effect your rates. Your company is usually favorable towards you especially since they will get reimburse down the road from the other party's insurance.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I park it outside 5 minutes and it gets hit in the rear. My rear bumper has a small crack in it and is scratched up. Has anyone had any experience with insurance claims with the NSX and the value of the parts? Thanks in advance!

Take the bumper off yourself and save the labor cost and take it to have it painted once you get that check in your hand. You can get the car fixed and still have money for goodies. Unless it's damaged bad enough to need a little body work (if the crack is in the bumper itself and not just cracked paint), it should only cost about $300 to have it painted (if it's off the car).

Last edited:
So you're thinking to just drive around with a banged up rear bumper and do some other mods under the hood with the money- man that is so turkey. I wouldn't put that in writing anywhere if I were you.

There was a guy I backed into in my driveway in an old honda with scratches on the bumper and I should have never given him a dime - he just took the check and put it in his pocket and drove around in his banged up car - I didn't realy have to give him anything - it was on private property.

It's stuff like this that reminds me of crap like that. If you going to take the money to do a repair; make the repair if you don't then eventually it will come back to haunt you - better keep the funds somewhere cause something like that will happen to you if you don't fix it - just sayin.

What goes around comes around. Do what the other guys say - get several estimates - take it off your self and get it painted/fixed and spend whatever you have left on whatever - but driving around in a banged up car - man this is an NSX forum - what do you think anyone here will think of that - is it any wonder no one is even responding to your hint of what you'd do with the funds. Sorry but most of us like our cars way too much to drive around with one looking shabby.

Just sayin...

I believe bumper is $1024

if youre replacing it, KEEP THE ORIGINAL there is a VIN on it and when you go to sell it someone may want proof the car was "Tapped" and showing the original will help greatly.

just my opinion

if youre repairing it, probably a 700 fix

I have never seen a VIN on an NSX body part - other cars yes, but not NSX

I have never seen a VIN on an NSX body part - other cars yes, but not NSX

they are on every part of my 05

Each front fender, each rear fender, trunk, hood, front/rear bumpers and hood.

and obviously the doors.

and yes its a sticker on each panel

i think it started about 96-97, all new cars have it. but I cant be sure.

I know my 1992 doesnt have it any on any part. that I have taken off.

but to keep the money and not fix your car.
that is something someone driving a 1989 Pontiac Sunfire with 22" spinners that shouldnt even be on the road, expired tags, and a stereo system that would blow you ear drums out. Paint so faded that its almost another color. and back-fires when you press the gas. black smoke coming out of the single rusted out tail pipe that dragging on the ground.
oh and a cd/dice or a small flag hanging from the rear view mirrow.

not saying that is you. but " Im just sayin "

get your car fixed properly its an NSX man treat her WELL.....

i think it started about 96-97, all new cars have it. but I cant be sure.

I know my 1992 doesnt have it any on any part. that I have taken off.

but to keep the money and not fix your car.
that is something someone driving a 1989 Pontiac Sunfire with 22" spinners that shouldnt even be on the road, expired tags, and a stereo system that would blow you ear drums out. Paint so faded that its almost another color. and back-fires when you press the gas. black smoke coming out of the single rusted out tail pipe that dragging on the ground.
oh and a cd/dice or a small flag hanging from the rear view mirrow.

not saying that is you. but " Im just sayin "

get your car fixed properly its an NSX man treat her WELL.....

Well Shawn, this is most likely one of your best and surely funniest posts - love it!....:biggrin::wink:

Back