my diy splitter

Shouldn't there be a front rake to the splitter? Otherwise there would be lift??? Particularly in the NSX, under hard acceleration wouldnt squat in the rear cause the front to lift up, further defeating the aero effect of the splitter.?!?!!?!?

No. You want a splitter parallel to the ground - 0 degrees.

could'nt you just as easily have used stale matzah......just sayin:tongue:

could'nt you just as easily have used stale matzah......just sayin:tongue:

ya.... the Red Sea Splitter, parts the air for Moses downforce.

parting-red-sea.jpg

Fun times, really nice job! How about some button head bolts instead of hex? Whats this metal stuff? You are missing out on all the resin fumes, and fiber itchy in your sleeves and hands.

Fun times, really nice job! How about some button head bolts instead of hex? Whats this metal stuff? You are missing out on all the resin fumes, and fiber itchy in your sleeves and hands.

I already switched them to button head. The Alumilite is much more rigid than fiberglass and just as light if not lighter.

3662498078_7fbd53fb3d.jpg

3879408933_0a2dc7e8fc_o.jpg

Last edited:
That's pretty impressive how strong that stuff is. One of my next projects I've been planning on was to make a splitter and undertray for my Legend. I was just planning on making it out of carbon fiber, but the more I read about Alumilite, the more I realize it's more ideal for a splitter. The CF parts I make aren't nearly that strong and take a ton of labor.

too funny....dead sea splitter..lol.....:biggrin:

Spent the day on the track and though I can't feel a huge improvement, obviously there is one as I'm now hitting the rev limiter in places I was a couple of hundred rpm below before my braking points. As well, I am now 2 mph faster on the straight. Looking at the data logger I FINALLY broke the 1:20 lap time that I have been bumping up against for the past year at Putnam Park. My new personal best is a 1:19.4. I think a 1:19.0 is the cards for me tomorrow.

BTW: It's not a full undertray as I don't have a vented hood yet. It only extends back to the the end of the Shine lip (ie about the first 1/3 of the battery tray).

Your splitter looks very interesting. You might need to balance out the car with a DIY rear Gurney Flap like the one Billy Johnson built for me in his parents garage. I was hesitant to put it on for about a year because i wasn't sure the performance was going to overcome the visual appeal of this contraption. Billy kept asking me after every track event "Did you put it on yet? How did it work?"? I finally gave in and... wow did it make a huge difference!! My lap times immediately dropped at every track by 2-4 seconds. Seriously, these are my home tracks that my lap times had leveled off at for the past 2 years. The car is so planted in the rear now that I can turn and brake with so much more confidence and grip. My corner exit speeds are quicker which really helps at the end of the straights agains todays high horsepower cars. My car has a vented hood, BBK on front, I/H/E, non compliance bits, PFC01 pads, R compound NTO1 tires, short gears and Penske double coilovers. Bone stock motor with 110,000 miles. The gurney flap was the single biggest improvement besides the Penske's and R compound tires. I'm a new believer in aero and I'm debating getting a real wing and splitter now... However, I have so much pride in Billy's spoiler that It's going to be hard for me to replace it with a real wing. It gets a ton of comments at the track which is fun.

- I picked up almost 4 seconds at Cal Speedway and 7mph entering turn one (was 137mph, now 145mph). Now 1:52.64

- I picked up 4 seconds at Laguna Seca. Now running 1:40.6X. Should easily get into the high 1:30's with new R comps.

- Picked up almost 3 seconds at Buttonwillow. 2:02.7x (I had been running 2:05's for 2 years). The car has a lot more in it, but I'm just not very good on this track. It's my worst track.

- I picked up about 3 seconds at Willow Springs as well, but don't recall my lap times.

By the way, the wing is far more secure than the photo's show. It has two c shaped arms that go around the front of the stock wing and are tie wrapped around on the backside. It handles 145mph wind with no issues. I keep a nice soft chamois and towel around my stock wing for padding and so my paint doesn't get scratched. I've seen similar on the wings of the Red Bull F1 team which is a big reason they were so quick this year I believe. Birds of a feather...

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1351.jpg
    IMG_1351.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_1350.jpg
    IMG_1350.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 406
Ryneen that's a serious cramp in style dude... :biggrin: zip ties and tape? is that a blanket under it?!!

It's like wearing this because it makes you swim faster.

4758270093_9aafcd845c.jpg

Last edited:
V2 of the splitter --- a little longer, 2" and a little wider in the corners 2.75"

Attachments

• IMAG0571.jpg
    IMAG0571.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,850
  • IMAG0572.jpg
    IMAG0572.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Ryneen that's a serious cramp in style dude... :biggrin: zip ties and tape? is that a blanket under it?!!

It's like wearing this because it makes you swim faster.

4758270093_9aafcd845c.jpg

I bet you just "happened" to have that picture lying around on your hard drive.

why did you make it wider? Are you guessing or is this based on any calculation?

Well version 1 lasted until day two at the track when I went back to the hotel and bent the edge running into the parking curb pulling too far forward. So since I had extra Alumilite I used it as a template to make a new one and then trimmed the bent part to make a short version. So I will have two versions... short and long.

Why wider on the edges? 1. More sq ft means more downforce without making it stick out farther (don't want to use rod supports). 2. Looks better. 3. Closer to what the big boys do.

fia-gt-race-cars_100199237_m.jpg

wallpaper_alms_1920x1200_4.jpg

the-ollies-3rd-place-corvette-at-mosport.jpg

Last edited:
What u did with the splitter looks like what this version of Shine is trying to attempt:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/Shine/Spec-GT/

No that's just a lip and not long enough to actually be effective and make any downforce.

I used the Shine Type 1 lip as a base, because it's flat at the bottom, and my splitter extends 2" past the lip and goes all the way back to the battery tray to make a under-tray too. :smile: Covering the battery area will be phase two once I get a vented hood.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Bump to fill up the page, so I don't have to look at the pic with the Banana hammock any more.

Thanks Dave

Last edited:
Gtc300. My average speed around my home track is 90 with straight vmax of 123, so I went with the gtc300.

sent from my Evo4

Gtc300. My average speed around my home track is 90 with straight vmax of 123, so I went with the gtc300.

sent from my Evo4
Thats supposedly the best APR wing. While not my first choice, it should make a huge improvement for you and hold you over until Andrew's awesome wing is produced.

Back