Must get Canon EOS 5D Mark II

I'm not a pro but I want the pro features.

ex. For starters, the G10 is a 1.5 fps max camera. Too low for action shooting.

Continuous Shooting
Normal: approx. 1.3 fps; AF: approx. 0.7 fps; LV: approx. 0.7 fps (Large/Fine)

And I'd like to use other lenses. The G10 seems to just be a fancy point and click.

Nope you can put SLR lenses on the G10 with an adapter... and yea it doesn't shoot HD video but if you need a video camera, why not buy a real video camera?

might be selling my 5D for something new... but i sent you a message already.

Yikes, 5D is definitely out of my price range. I found a Nikon D200 body for $500 in great shape but didn't realize how great of a deal it was so I dragged my feet to do research and missed out. Apparently there are ALOT of bogus photography equipment websites doing business out of brooklyn and I was using the wrong site to compare pricing. Still curious as to why Canon or Nikon USA won't repair supposed grey market cameras, I mean what if we brought it to the US with us from say Australia or Japan, etc???

Anyhow, G10 sounds like a great compact back up point and click with the flexibility to use lenses. I however would like to venture towards the professional side as an amateur and plan on taking the proper classes this spring in digital photography and photoshop.

Yikes, 5D is definitely out of my price range. I found a Nikon D200 body for $500 in great shape but didn't realize how great of a deal it was so I dragged my feet to do research and missed out. Apparently there are ALOT of bogus photography equipment websites doing business out of brooklyn and I was using the wrong site to compare pricing. Still curious as to why Canon or Nikon USA won't repair supposed grey market cameras, I mean what if we brought it to the US with us from say Australia or Japan, etc???

Anyhow, G10 sounds like a great compact back up point and click with the flexibility to use lenses. I however would like to venture towards the professional side as an amateur and plan on taking the proper classes this spring in digital photography and photoshop.

Canon 40D's are dropping in price like crazy and you can easily pick one up for $700 but thats just the body. 10D you can get for under $500 as well as maybe a 20D or 30D but I would guess your looking for a body and lens for $500 which does not leave you with many choices. My advice is to get any digital slr body canon or nikon and invest the rest in glass because that will make the difference between the quality of the photos the most not the body Ohh did I mention my 10D n 40D are for sale

Canon 40D's are dropping in price like crazy and you can easily pick one up for $700 but thats just the body. 10D you can get for under $500 as well as maybe a 20D or 30D but I would guess your looking for a body and lens for $500 which does not leave you with many choices. My advice is to get any digital slr body canon or nikon and invest the rest in glass because that will make the difference between the quality of the photos the most not the body Ohh did I mention my 10D n 40D are for sale

Dont buy an SLR that does not have live view... its a waste of $ if u don't know what you are shooting until you get the camera home and hooked up to the computer.... :)

Dont buy an SLR that does not have live view... its a waste of $ if u don't know what you are shooting until you get the camera home and hooked up to the computer.... :)

:confused::confused::confused: Live view is not a feature used to preview pics. DSLR's all have a preview feature so why would you have to wait to get home to see the photo you just shot ???

Well it seems the more I learned, the higher my budget went. Seems there are three price levels of glass, low, high and refinance the house. Even the low seems to be pretty good considering it's what comes as a kit on the low end and mid range dslrs.

I've narrowed down my choices so far. Canon 30d-40d-XSi. I'm more interested in the comparison of:

30d vs. XSi
40d vs. XSi

Especially the action shots since 30d is 5 fps, 40d is 6.5 fps and XSi is 3.5 fps.

Since I already know that 40d is better than the 30d. 40d also comes with the ultrasonic dust removing system, 30d doesn't. Even though mp doesn't mean hardly anything at those levels, the 40d also has a higher mp.

Basically I know they will all take great pictures. I just for once would like to get the picture I'm trying to take, even if it means it takes a billion shutter activations in a second in one press.

I've been doing my research on these two websites:
http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/digital-slr-camera-comparisons.html
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Last edited:
Build quality of the Digital Rebels doesn't compare to the 30D or 40d...Rebels are much cheaper material and much smaller form factor. A good size lens (i.e. Canon EF 70-200 F/2.8L IS) makes the body of a Rebel look a toy dangling on the end. I have the 30D and can tell you that dust can be an issue, so the more recent model cameras are going to make your life a bit easier.

Last edited:
Any recommendations about buying used from a reputable store/person or canon refurbished?

I know the key is in the lenses but to step up to the 40D means I'll have to be poor and cheap out on a lense (or two) for atleast a year or so.

Is IS on an 18-55 really that important? I figure it would be more important on something like a 28-200 or 50-300+ etc. I'm trying to figure out where to shave a few bucks. And have some fun till I can afford some L lenses.

Canon EOS-40D Digital SLR Camera with 28-135 IS USM Lens - Refurbished by Canon U.S.A. $800

or body only demo 40D w/ new warranty $690

What do you think about the refurb kit?

I'm trying to see if I can get'er dun for $750, body and decent lense.

Last edited:
Any input or suggestions so I can make my order today hopefully??? :biggrin:

You can't go wrong ordering the Canon refurb, especially if it's direct from Canon. $800 is a great deal for what is essentially a brand new 40D with full warranty. Just pull the damn trigger! :)

Any input or suggestions so I can make my order today hopefully??? :biggrin:

Acura NsX Pilot
How much did you want for the 40d?

I will agree with Hugh on this that $800 for the kit is a great price. I am looking for $750 net paypalled n delivered for just the body. I personally think that the 40D is too much camera for a begginer but it is a great body which you will not out grow anytime soon. As far as the glass goes you will be amazed at how the lens hold there value and it will make the difference in what you capture.

This site is the nsxprime of canon photography n gear. There is a great for sale section there.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Best of luck on your choice

Bailey

the 5d mark ii looks amazing. a friend of mine waited months to finally get his and he ordered very early.

you can get a canon 40d with the 28-128mm lens for a little bit under $1k from bhphotovideo.com. i was debating this purchase considerably as an upgrade from my entry nikon d40, and will continue to debate until i pull the trigger, or just call it good enough with a d80.

i also agree with the build quality of the rebel series. the xt/xti and xs/xsi feel VERY VERY cheap compared to the higher level canons. (i've used my friend's 5d a few times, and the rebel series even feels cheap compared to my nikon d40, and my friend's d80). i felt the nikon d40 was a perfect beginner dslr. it was cheap enough that i was not worried about bringing it anywhere and everywhere with me. it took good enough shots until i began to understand the limitations of the camera. also, for the price of a mid-range lens, you can have a back-up camera when you decide to upgrade to a body with more features and better glass.

i think this: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108126 is a better thread for beginner dslr recommendations though.

now being back on topic, i would love a 5d mark II...or of anyone is getting rid of their old 5d or a 40d for a good price...let me know. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Actually, I have a Canon EOS D60 I'd like to sell...I certainly don't need three DSLR bodies!

One thing I'd like to mention about the 5D Mark II for video is that the CMOS sensor does have rolling shutter. Though side effects initially didn't seem to be as bad as that other DSLR with video, they are present.

I was hand-holding a shot at Mammoth, something I thought didn't have much motion in it until I got it on my home computer. I tried to eliminate the jitter using After Effects motion stabilization (easy to track points on HD footage), but, while I could lock down one point quite solidly, the overall image still had some wobble since points elsewhere on the image weren't maintaining their relative distance (rolling shutter has a tendency to make the image behave like rubber).

If you're going to shoot video with this camera, I strongly recommend using a tripod or a lens with image stabilization.

Who would you suggest ordering through?

The best refurb package comes from adorama.com

The best new package comes from digicombos.com

Both places aren't the BEST places but they are far from the worst. However both places do NOT appear on any scam alerts or fraud alerts. They just kinda get the not so great customer service marks on occasion.

Who would you chose?

Don't know much about digicombos , but adorama.com is a fairly big shop here in NYC. Yeah they kinda do things their own way but are very reputable. Also look at 17photo.com, they're another shop here in NYC that I use often and they are great. My advice, there's probably not much difference between the low end prices - maybe $50, go with a shop that is reputable and has references... $50 is not worth the headache and time if you have trouble with the vendor.

I've been shooting without live view since my Canon Kiss. When shooting with a DSLR in manual mode, you should already have a good idea of how your pictures are going to turn out anyways.

I've been shooting without live view since my Canon Kiss. When shooting with a DSLR in manual mode, you should already have a good idea of how your pictures are going to turn out anyways.

And all along I thought it was the camera taking the bad pictures, not the idiot holding it. I guess I can keep my Kodak Brownie for a few more years. :biggrin:

Since getting the 5D Mark II, the only reason I have used LiveView is for video...which is 100% Live View dependent.

For stills, I shoot completely manual. Outside of video, the only value I see in having Live View on a DSLR is for situations where I can't actually look through the eyepiece. Of course, in some of those situations, it would have been even nicer if the LCD screen could swivel (like on video cameras).

Since getting the 5D Mark II, the only reason I have used LiveView is for video...which is 100% Live View dependent.

For stills, I shoot completely manual. Outside of video, the only value I see in having Live View on a DSLR is for situations where I can't actually look through the eyepiece. Of course, in some of those situations, it would have been even nicer if the LCD screen could swivel (like on video cameras).

The sony swivels. That's real nice.

Who would you suggest ordering through?

The best refurb package comes from adorama.com

The best new package comes from digicombos.com

Both places aren't the BEST places but they are far from the worst. However both places do NOT appear on any scam alerts or fraud alerts. They just kinda get the not so great customer service marks on occasion.

Who would you chose?

If those were my choices I would go with adorama ... I did a search on pricegrabber.com and neither of those choices came up

Back