MTV Cribs ( The Big Lie ??? )

One of my favorite shows. Famous Athletes, Actors, and Musicians do make a load of cash, but I know enough about the music business to know that a few temporary dance hits ( which use sampling -which means that the money made from the record has to be split w/ whoever owns the sampled song) does not equal a house along w/ a Bentley and other toys... A friend of mine in the dance dejay/ business says that sometimes Cribs shows houses that are rented and cars that are leased by the record companies as tempory arangements between them and the artists........Who knows ? Any thoughts.....( BTW, money in the music business takes a long time to finally reach the artist......the first thing the record companies do is take the incoming money from sales and pay back the production costs of a recording-whatever is left over goes to the artist after the managers, accountants, lawyers dip into it first.......

Why would a record company grant investments in rented cars/houses to fake one poor made tv-show that isn't even aired continuous. What is the payoff? I watched Cribs about 5 times, it was used as filling program between two southpark episodes. I don't get the meaning of this show anyways. It is somehow sad to watch random rap stars pose between a hummer h2 and a bentley. The only thing I liked was Sully Erna showing some odds and ends stored on a small rack he got mailed or given from fans.

I don't doubt that the cars/houses are leased because some of the people that are on there haven't been around to earn enough to actually buy it. But a lot are prob like MC Hammer and will be broke in a year or two. They should have a Cribs-5 years later version.

Klayton said:
Why would a record company grant investments in rented cars/houses to fake one poor made tv-show that isn't even aired continuous. What is the payoff? I watched Cribs about 5 times, it was used as filling program between two southpark episodes. I don't get the meaning of this show anyways. It is somehow sad to watch random rap stars pose between a hummer h2 and a bentley. The only thing I liked was Sully Erna showing some odds and ends stored on a small rack he got mailed or given from fans.
Exposure. A record company can rent a mansion for a week or two, for say $10,000, and their artists get 15 minutes exposure on primetime MTV. The real money in the music business comes from two sources : Broadcast royalties and concert revenue. The owners (usually pubishers and authors ) are the ones that get the broadcast royalties ( Which is why Paul has made so much more money than Ringo, enen though they were in the same group). A lot of dance music uses snippets of already existing songs, so the owners of the already existing songs are going to get a piece of the action. Concert revenue is a more direct way for the artist to make cash, but dance music artists usually do appearences, not arena tours. Besides, those hits are usually so temporary, that they would not sustain enough interest for a promoter to book a long tour...........saw your avatar...my mom was from Stuttgart

Yes, this is not new news. Most of the houses you see on Cribs are rented - especially the artists that are in the music industry.

The younger viewers of Cribs probably think that their favorite artists are big ballers. :rolleyes:

Yes, word is out on this. I only see cribs during a session of channel surf and recently I saw some rap star showing off his cars and actually said he owned them and would provide the slips if needed.

Aero said:
I don't doubt that the cars/houses are leased because some of the people that are on there haven't been around to earn enough to actually buy it. But a lot are prob like MC Hammer and will be broke in a year or two. They should have a Cribs-5 years later version.
13501381245-1.gif

Well.... it's not that surprising, really.

The music videos have rented mansions, rented exotic cars, fake sets, fake props...

Why not the Cribs show?

It's all publicity and marketing...

I would imagine most of the houses are financed, just as the cars. Rare to pay cash up front....and there's still property taxes etc.

You have your hit single making bucks, so you can pay your monthly car payments, house payments, etc etc. Most of these guys aren't putting any away in the bank.

Career dries up and you can no longer make payments...poof...bye bye lifestyle.
(End up taking in the butt on depreciation for the cars, boats, etc etc)

I liked the Redman MTV Cribs episode years back.
I'm pretty sure it was his real condo/appt? at the time.
Most of the rooms were pretty messy; clothes on one corner
of the room and shoes was on the other. Best part was his
doorbell did not even have a button, just wires sticking out.
Redman was just keeping it real !

Reminds me of a line in the autobiography of James Cagney called "Cagney by Cagney".

He was visiting a movie star acquaintance with a lavish mansion and his comment to his companion as he marveled, was how hard it would be for the person when things changed and they would have to give it all up.

Record label exec's, industry moguls, and other established artists/ entertainers/ athletes are for real when featured on CRIBS, w/o a doubt!

Particular individuals I recall that left an impression...

- Master_P
- Babyface
- Mariah Carey
- Ray Buchanon
- Wayne Newton
- Penny Hardaway
- Jason Williams
- Russell Simmons
- Tommy Lee
- Shaq

Some that I recall being suprisingly mediocre despite level of fame/acclaim...

- Carmelo Anthony
- Ray Lewis
- Snoop Dogg
- Pamela Anderson
- Any "boy-band" member and/or group
- Any Blink_182 member's pad
- Jaimey Pressley
- Curtis Martin
- Fat Joe
- Carmen Elektra

I want to see a Crib's episode showing the houses of the people who are at the top level of music production. Maybe one of the owner of Johnson and Johnson or IBM. That is the real deal.

I remember that show on MTV called "rich girls" with Tommy hilfigers daughter, MEGA loot!!!!!!!!

Osiris, for a topic about "Cribs", that answer is waaaaaay too involved.:biggrin: I think you need help.:tongue:

I have been watching for years- it is a cool way to see some of the newest gadgets, and interior design ideas.

As a single guy I need all the help I can get in making my place look good. I also watch for ques in my favorite TV shows like Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck and The Sopranos- Otherwise I am clueless

Ideas I put into play-

Tommy Lee- "The Purple Room"- my living room is laid out in a similar way
"Insert rap artist here" Single wall painted crimson in the bedroom
Moby- natural wood, and stainless in the kitchen
Various- art ques, wall colors that compliment the finish of my furniture all taken from TV

Do I really care if it is all "real" for them?- nope, I don't. I am just using the ideas some expensive interior designer laid out for them.

I too would like to see a "5 years later" edition. But my reasons are different. I would like to see the "reality check".

There are a lot of young people who have put themselves deeply into debt trying to keep up with the virtual Joneses. In Dallas we call them 30 thousand dollar millionaires- they walk the walk, and pay their minimum payments when they can. As they say... "Deeply Superficial". When you actually get to know some of these folks, and you find out their woes it is financial high drama to say the least.

I knew a girl who would spend $300 on a pair of jeans, and drop $500 on shoes during a shopping spree, but ended up living with her folks because she got tossed out of her apartment.

A guy I played pool with last weekend is living on a friends couch. He told me this whole story about how his girlfriend broke up with him so he had to move out of her place, but he is buried in a Dodge Ram RT10 and he can't afford the truck, and an apartment on his own...

I could go on and on with the number of people I have met since I have been here. So many messes, so many bad judgements.

I wonder if many of them aren't trying to live up to the standard of "the good life" they are seeing on TV, and if a dose of financial reality might do them some good.

Philip

I saw Joey's house from N Sync. man o man, i think thas his house and its like a dream house i'll never be able to afford.
all in all, i do belive some of those homes are real to some celebs.

H-carWizKid said:
I have been watching for years- it is a cool way to see some of the newest gadgets, and interior design ideas.

Do I really care if it is all "real" for them?- nope, I don't. I am just using the ideas some expensive interior designer laid out for them.

Philip

I would agree with Philip. Watching selective episodes of particular homes really is a great way to get ideas about top-notch decorative ideas. We've definitely taken some cues from a couple of the celebrities when designing our home. In some ways, it is better than watching HGTV, because they go through the ENTIRE house of 2 or more celebrities within a half-hour, versus watching an episode of a design show on HGTV that focuses only on one particular room. In addition, for a bunch of car enthusiasts such as ourselves, who doesn't like looking at ultra-luxury cars (such as the Bentleys and Ferraris)?

Exactly,my wife and I enjoyed looking and learning at paint colors,decor,layout ect.

H-carWizKid said:
There are a lot of young people who have put themselves deeply into debt trying to keep up with the virtual Joneses. In Dallas we call them 30 thousand dollar millionaires- they walk the walk, and pay their minimum payments when they can. As they say... "Deeply Superficial". When you actually get to know some of these folks, and you find out their woes it is financial high drama to say the least.
Very true and very sad. I know a couple of people that fit that type. They live way beyond their means and put too much faith, imo, in future earning potential. Over here we call them fifty-thousandaires. Being in my mid-twenties, I completely understand my generation's obsession with the "I want it all and I want it now" mentality. What is difficult for me to wrap my head around is that some people will do anything to live that lie. It truly makes me sad to see a young couple that spends 90% of their income on minimum payments and hasn't been on a vacation in more than 5 years.

Yawwn said:
I would agree with Philip. Watching selective episodes of particular homes really is a great way to get ideas about top-notch decorative ideas. We've definitely taken some cues from a couple of the celebrities when designing our home. In some ways, it is better than watching HGTV, because they go through the ENTIRE house of 2 or more celebrities within a half-hour, versus watching an episode of a design show on HGTV that focuses only on one particular room. In addition, for a bunch of car enthusiasts such as ourselves, who doesn't like looking at ultra-luxury cars (such as the Bentleys and Ferraris)?

Of course- there is also a LOT of the opposite end of the spectrum- Money doesn't necessarily buy taste!

Master P comes to mind- The Gold vaulted ceilings? Actually, the gold EVERYTHING- yuck. There is such thing as too much of a good thing.

Or Big Boy with his stripper pole in the basement... (Reminded me of my fraternity house party basement)

Often you see those velvet paintings that look like the velvet Elvis's you can buy @ the flea market.

Sometimes it is just too much, and too "busy".

Lets not forget the LV landau tops, or vinyl graphics applied to the high end luxury rides in the garage... ick!

It is just as important to know what NOT to emulate!

Other free interior design tip shows I forgot to mention- Flip this house, sell this house, trading spaces, ect- all are good places to research interior design, and get ideas for inexpensive (or sometimes expensive) enhancements.

At least with channels like TLC, HGTV, Discovery, and A&E TV time isn't all "wasted" time :biggrin:

There was a cribs with craig david. He had LED lighting through one of his hallways cycled through colors. I have the perfect hallway to do this in my house, but can't seem to find a vendor of the equipment, locally. Still my favorite idea from the show. As others have said I look for ideas...some are good what to do's and others are "how in the hell can you live with that!"...as they say money can't buy taste...but then again someone might argue with my idea of led lighting, however I could turn it off and you would never know its there.

Sean William Scott (stiffler) had the best place. He had a broke college student type apartment. Also had a normal car rollin' on 14s he said. :tongue:

They also need to do follow ups to Pimp My Ride to see how long it is before all that stuff gets stolen.

Back