Motor Trend - New NSX 11/22/2010

Actually, I am extremely impressed with the products coming out of Ford and GM these days. They are putting Honda and Toyota to shame.

Agreed all Honda seems focused on are the 2016 cafe that cars must increase to 37.8 mpg. To which why is everyone making all this fun stuff?? Don't get me wrong cars are increasing but why does Honda seem to be taking it so much more seriously than the others??

I doubt Honda will make another NSX.

When you have the 458 and MP4-12C (carbon technology etc.) to compete against I don't see it happening. What then would the NSX compete against? Lotus Evora, GT-R, M3, RS5 etc. etc.? Nope.

Its a sad time when Ford, GM, Audi, even Jaguar (the new XF is superb) are creating offerings better than anything Honda is presently making. I soooooo wish Holden or Vauxhall vehicles were sold in North America. Performance orientated cars for people like us that want economical performance cars. I drive a Holden Commodore SS (325hp V8 4-door) and its awesome hearing the V8 and having the torque. There's a really nice V6 option too.

Look at the new Hyundai Genesis to see that at least that Marque gets it.

The Tesla Model S is a beautiful car and something I'd love to drive as a daily while keeping the NSX as the weekend toy

Anyway I'd love to be optimistic on Honda but just can't. I'd love to be proven wrong though...

Another rendering from Best car

%25E6%259C%25AC%25E7%2594%25B0NSX+new.jpg

http://jp-cardesigncorner.blogspot.com/2010/12/bcs-rendering-of-honda-nsx-replacement.html

That one looks front engine probably following the current rumor that the car will use an Accord platform. I hope more and more these rumors sparks something at Honda. Supposedly there are those at Honda battling hard for a new NSX/sports car even though Ito seems to be against it. Let's hope these rumors get Honda to the point they cave and give us something.

looks more like competition for the sti/evo than the GTR/Z06. honestly the new TSX should get the turbocharged 2.3l and AWD and that should compete against the evo. the NSX should again be competing against the GTR.

^segments they aren't in....you mean generators or mopeds...o wait.:rolleyes:

They need to get a focus of what they want for a direction. They need a halo vehicle again. Ford is making SVT raptor at worst possible time...but it represents an image for the truck market.

I read the article and i like how Acura represents "stealth wealth". My father has always been like that, not rich, but if he had a choice between similiar vehicles he would go with less flashy. Why create an image of something you aren't...IE: a snob. cough BMW cough.

Last edited:
^segments they aren't in....you mean generators or mopeds...o wait.:rolleyes:

They need to get a focus of what they want for a direction. They need a halo vehicle again. Ford is making SVT raptor at worst possible time...but it represents an image for the truck market.

I read the article and i like how Acura represents "stealth wealth". My father has always been like that, not rich, but if he had a choice between similiar vehicles he would go with less flashy. Why create an image of something you aren't...IE: a snob. cough BMW cough.

If you read the article why did you ignore this part:confused:
New products soon

At the Denver dealer meeting, Honda executives promised additions to the product lineup, not just from hybrid powertrains but also in new segments. Dealers were told that 2012 would be a big year for new products, likely including the redesign of the ancient RL flagship.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101220/RETAIL03/312209984/1274#ixzz18hQ6U98u

Thanks for sharing Perry.

Ito is talking trash regarding having more name plates. Acura is struggling and the answer is to have a third name plate? Yea, most executives in corporate America will refer to this as bull sh%#.

Unless he is referring to Type R versions becoming its own name plate. To that, I welcome it. If there is no RWD in the line up, Acura has nothing more than glorified cars based on Civic or Accord platforms. Oops, of course we have the NSX, which reportedly will soon be based on a flipped around Accord platform.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Perry.

Ito is talking trash regarding having more name plates. Acura is struggling and the answer is to have a third name plate? Yea, most executives in corporate America will refer to this as bull sh%#.

Unless he is referring to Type R versions becoming its own name plate. To that, I welcome it. If there is no RWD in the line up, Acura has nothing more than glorified cars based on Civic or Accord platforms. Oops, of course we have the NSX, which reportedly will soon be based on a flipped around Accord platform.

No problem.

I think Ito is in a corner. Honda had two choices

1. Pull the plug on Acura

2. Put money into it

They went with #2. Sales have picked up for the brand but they get lampooned anytime they're name is mentioned. Criticism for lack of NSX seems to be a big one as well and maybe they're finally tired of hearing it.

Competing in new segments not just hybrid powertrains. So let's see they have trucks and sedans. Adding ima to those still leaves new segments and new name plates. We already knew they were working on a new RSX so that's one name plate and the dealers are being told "several".

I do agree though that with with Honda it's become an all BS until I see it situation.

I don't mind the flipped Accord idea as it's still far sturdier than the current NSX plus it's not going to be the new NSX just a sports coupe from Acura. It's nice to know that after hearing it's dead no replacement no sports cars that Honda is at the very least contemplating a sports coupe/car.

Maybe the HSV will find it's way in as 2012 is when it was supposed to be released anyway.

I think I misunderstood what I read on that link. I thought Ito was talking about adding another brand (Honda, Acura) to the stable. But now hearing what you are saying, I think he means adding new models to the Acura stable. Thanks for helping me understand and for being kind about it.

I'm just glad Honda is seriously considering reviving the mid-engine sports car. Hopefully it will be mid-engined. My itch for Honda's new sports car has gone too long. So just bring it on.

The flipped around accord is fine as long as it meets ridigity standards for sports car and a suspension worthy for a flag ship. I still recall that when NSX prototype was being evaluated by Ayrton Senna, he mentioned that the rear chassis was not rigid enough. At that time, the development of the NSX was mostly complete and moving to the manufacturing readiness phase. With this timing, Honda was not able to drastically modify the chassis, but they add rear chassis braces to stiffen things up. I was surprised that this oversight occurred initially but glad they took care of it in time.

Honda has made significant progress in chassis development since then. Looking forward to the new sports car. Just make sure it look unanimously gorgeous and we'll be on board.

No problem.

I think Ito is in a corner. Honda had two choices

1. Pull the plug on Acura

2. Put money into it

They went with #2. Sales have picked up for the brand but they get lampooned anytime they're name is mentioned. Criticism for lack of NSX seems to be a big one as well and maybe they're finally tired of hearing it.

Competing in new segments not just hybrid powertrains. So let's see they have trucks and sedans. Adding ima to those still leaves new segments and new name plates. We already knew they were working on a new RSX so that's one name plate and the dealers are being told "several".

I do agree though that with with Honda it's become an all BS until I see it situation.

I don't mind the flipped Accord idea as it's still far sturdier than the current NSX plus it's not going to be the new NSX just a sports coupe from Acura. It's nice to know that after hearing it's dead no replacement no sports cars that Honda is at the very least contemplating a sports coupe/car.

Maybe the HSV will find it's way in as 2012 is when it was supposed to be released anyway.

Wow check out this article guys apparently Honda is putting serious money behind Acura and they will have "several" new name plates and compete in several segments they're not currently in. Fingers crossed they'll be offering something for the enthusiasts

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20101220/RETAIL03/312209984/1274

Nice link. It seems they are finally getting the message. I've been saying for years that they need to either kill the RL or set it a market segment above the TL. Looks like they are going with #2. :) The RL needs to be a flagship, which means in terms of styling and performance. They need to stretch it, rename it Legend, give it the top-shelf powertrain and make it LOOK like it costs $60k. In this economy, such a car will poach many 7-series and 500-series buyers.

They also need to bring back the Integra and drop the lame RSX moniker. Everyone knows the Acura Integra and what a great car it is. It has built-in brand recognition, customer loyalty and a reputation for performance, quality and value. It always was a great entry car for the Acura brand.

We may also see a mid-level sports coupe, but as I mentioned in my other post, Honda will wait until it is assured this new line is successful before we see a worthy NSX-level replacement. My guess is that they may resurrect the CL coupe, which by the way was a superb car in its 6-speed Type-S version. HSV is dead, in my opinion. No way Honda puts out a V10 in this economy.

I think I misunderstood what I read on that link. I thought Ito was talking about adding another brand (Honda, Acura) to the stable. But now hearing what you are saying, I think he means adding new models to the Acura stable. Thanks for helping me understand and for being kind about it.

I'm just glad Honda is seriously considering reviving the mid-engine sports car. Hopefully it will be mid-engined. My itch for Honda's new sports car has gone too long. So just bring it on.

The flipped around accord is fine as long as it meets ridigity standards for sports car and a suspension worthy for a flag ship. I still recall that when NSX prototype was being evaluated by Ayrton Senna, he mentioned that the rear chassis was not rigid enough. At that time, the development of the NSX was mostly complete and moving to the manufacturing readiness phase. With this timing, Honda was not able to drastically modify the chassis, but they add rear chassis braces to stiffen things up. I was surprised that this oversight occurred initially but glad they took care of it in time.

Honda has made significant progress in chassis development since then. Looking forward to the new sports car. Just make sure it look unanimously gorgeous and we'll be on board.

LOL Hey Silver this isn't Vtec.net ya know :biggrin:

Well the details keep coming

Details were far sketchier regarding additional members of the Acura lineup. We were told that Acura will soon introduce something unconventional sometime around the launch of the new flagship sedan. Will it be sporty? Probably. Will it be called NSX? Who knows. Will it be the front-engine supercar we saw lapping the Nürburgring a couple of years ago? No. Although that car was all but finished, according to Acura insiders, it was cancelled—not even shelved—due to Honda’s concerns that it might be crass to offer a $150K–$175K sports car in the face of worldwide economic hardship. However, much of the technology developed for that car will appear in the new car. Whatever it’s called.

Don't know what's but that last part will probably keep me up tonight ..lol Well that and the whole "something unconventional". Damn I wish we had a drool icon

Last edited:
Nice link. It seems they are finally getting the message. I've been saying for years that they need to either kill the RL or set it a market segment above the TL. Looks like they are going with #2. :) The RL needs to be a flagship, which means in terms of styling and performance. They need to stretch it, rename it Legend, give it the top-shelf powertrain and make it LOOK like it costs $60k. In this economy, such a car will poach many 7-series and 500-series buyers.

They also need to bring back the Integra and drop the lame RSX moniker. Everyone knows the Acura Integra and what a great car it is. It has built-in brand recognition, customer loyalty and a reputation for performance, quality and value. It always was a great entry car for the Acura brand.

We may also see a mid-level sports coupe, but as I mentioned in my other post, Honda will wait until it is assured this new line is successful before we see a worthy NSX-level replacement. My guess is that they may resurrect the CL coupe, which by the way was a superb car in its 6-speed Type-S version. HSV is dead, in my opinion. No way Honda puts out a V10 in this economy.

Agreed but read through this article and it seems as though we'll get mostly everything but the V10. I can live with that:wink:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/acura-...ve-may-add-high-end-sporty-vehicle-to-lineup/

II still recall that when NSX prototype was being evaluated by Ayrton Senna, he mentioned that the rear chassis was not rigid enough. At that time, the development of the NSX was mostly complete and moving to the manufacturing readiness phase. With this timing, Honda was not able to drastically modify the chassis, but they add rear chassis braces to stiffen things up. I was surprised that this oversight occurred initially but glad they took care of it in time.

Actually, Makoto Tamamura did the vast majority of chassis testing and development work and it was Tamamura that first started noticing weakness in the NSX's body. Senna complained of the same characteristics in high speed corners and that confirmation accelerated the search for greater structural rigidity. Structural reinforcements added about 11kg in weight to the final version of the car but doubled the car's structural rigidity. The much maligned Ito was the person responsible for that feat.

If I've read correctly, Uehara, Ito, and Tamamura spent vast amounts of time and resources on the chassis development of the NSX at the Nurburgring including about 120 sets of tires at that time. Considering that 6,000 sets of tires were used in total to fine tune the chassis, suspension, and brakes, there was a still a lot of development work done b/t finishing the chassis and the actual production of the car.

Honda is telling dealerships - both Acura and Honda:

Acura badged
6 cylinders
twin turbo
500 hp
no hybrid technology
approx $100k
no release date yet
no name yet
no info regarding engine location

Last edited:
Back