Modified NSX vs Noble M12 GTO R3

I would offer a different opinion in regards to "creature comforts." Since I drive regularly an NSX turbo and a Noble, I think that I can give some insight. The cars themselves are similar in many ways. They both have excellent styling, excellent handling, relatively exclusive (2 identical Nobles within 30 miles in MI and soon a third), and are comfortable to drive for long distances.

NSX Advantages: Carries luggage more easily than the Noble in that it has a trunk, better creature comforts like quieter vehicle, easier to get in and out, better sound system (less road noise), power windows, cruise control, windows that go all of the way down, air bags, more comfortable seats and side impact protection. Targa top for some of us. Getting in an accident in the NSX with another vehicle would still be pretty bad due to its low heighth.

NSX Disadvantages: Power to weight ratio is less but this is effectively negated with the FX500 power upgrade. Brakes not as good and handling overall is inferior but to be honest, I doubt most of us ever take full advantage of the capabilities of the NSX. (At XPO, a stock NSX with racing slicks was so far ahead of the others which included supercharged cars with racing slicks in the advanced group that despite a spin, the stock car was off of the track before the others came in sight of the front straight).

Noble Advantages: Power, Less weight, better handling, inexpensive engine components, and uh, power and less weight. Other guy in MI has Noble with probably 425 HP or more since his boost is 1.2 bar vs .6 on the stock.
Our Noble has basic creature comforts like AC, power steering, stereo, leather interior. It can carry almost as much luggage as the NSX but it all goes behind the seats. We will be changing our seats, hopefully Sparco Milano if they fit and this will allow easier access to this area. It helps that I am not tall (euphemism for kinda short 5'8'').

Major question, would we buy a Noble if we did it again vs a FX500 NSX. The cars are very similar in regards to overall straight line acceleration at least in the 0-60 and quarter mile times (FX500 should have a higher top speed) and if you spent another 20K modifying the suspension of the NSX, I suspect that it would handle and brake as well if not better than the Noble for those talented drivers who can actually drive this well. YES but this is from someone who already has an NSX, Noble was an additional car.

Major differences between the 2 cars is a sense of refinement and feel. The NSX is by far a more refined vehicle but the Noble gives you butt-kicking acceleration with great handling. On a side note, the Noble definitely draws more attention, including from the cops, and interestingly, not as many "challenges" as compared to the NSX. Only "challenge" was from a 911 TT, kinda embarrassing. (He stalled as he dropped the clutch after chirping the wheels, me, I slowly pulled away :D).

Finally, in regards to service, you can take the car to the Ford dealer for engine work although I probably would take it to a good mechanic. For oil changes, I go to Jiffy Lube where they let me go into the pit and point out where the drain plug is located and then they go pull an oil filter for the 3.0 X-type Jag, add around 6 quarts of Mobil 1 and away I go. Service is pretty simple.

Tim

Zman,

In the spring when we get together, you can also drive my 98 Turbo NSX. It is only around 375 HP at the wheels. This may help you decide and hopefully, by then, we will have an engine management solution for OBD II in which case Devin will probably by able to tune more power.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the great post on comparison of the two vehicles. I need to drive both and thank you for your offer. Give me a call sometime to chat, I left you numbers with my PM.

I worry about problems/reliability with turbo systems on the NSX. The Noble was intended to be a turbocharged beast, the NSX was not.

Zman said:
Tim,

I worry about problems/reliability with turbo systems on the NSX. The Noble was intended to be a turbocharged beast, the NSX was not.

But the FactorX is built for turbo. Noble uses a production engine that they build into a turbo car, just like FactorX.

With your OBDII, you can easily change to OBDI with an AEM for less than $2g. JMO.

ncdogdoc said:
But the FactorX is built for turbo. Noble uses a production engine that they build into a turbo car, just like FactorX.

With your OBDII, you can easily change to OBDI with an AEM for less than $2g. JMO.

That maybe the way to go-OBDII to OBDI. I wasn't aware that could be done. Need to drive each and then I'll know!!

Zman said:
That maybe the way to go-OBDII to OBDI. I wasn't aware that could be done. Need to drive each and then I'll know!!

I am pretty such Factor X has an OBDII solution ready to go or very close. They said so in a previous thread a month or so ago.

Have you called them to inquire?

Conversion from OBD II to OBD I is not for the faint of heart. Only one I know of is Devin's BBSC NSX. I talked it over with him and he advised against it due to some prospective OBD II aftermarket EMS. Yonni on the other hand said absolutely NO since he is the only one whose hands were small enough to get into the footwell. For those of us with OBD II, for now, the answer is be patient. Of course GJ already has the TEC-3 operational with OBD II.

Tim

NetViper said:
I am pretty such Factor X has an OBDII solution ready to go or very close. They said so in a previous thread a month or so ago.

Have you called them to inquire?

I last talked to Mike about 3-4 weeks ago and he said that the OBDII will be released this month.

ncdogdoc said:

True, both engines have had turbos added to them, Noble's has been developed by world famous Cosworth Engineering.

j14nsx said:
True, both engines have had turbos added to them, Noble's has been developed by world famous Cosworth Engineering.

And ours buy the world famous Factor X :D

The Noble is a quick car, never knew it was available in the US..

Early on in the season on a trackday the NSX kept up with a blue Noble M12 at Brands Hatch (which is more kinks than straights) but at Silverstone the extra power a similar blue Noble was obviously quicker than me, i would say 2 secs a lap quicker. Though, when my instructor jumped in the NSX..the NSX was faster than everything.

So as usual, its all down to the driver of course but if you feel you really need all that extra power, in exchange for kit car looks and a crappy looking interior with no mod cons..then go for it!

-Rob

At NSXPO, I was driving for quite a while behind Tim's Noble and my CTSC'd NSX would be left in the dust any time he jumped on the throttle -- I have it on video too :eek:

robfenn said:
So as usual, its all down to the driver of course but if you feel you really need all that extra power, in exchange for kit car looks and a crappy looking interior with no mod cons..then go for it!

-Rob

After seeing the Noble in person at NSXPO I would have to disagree with your comment about "kit car looks and a crappy interior". With the sole exception of the badging, I've never liked the yellow emblems, the car is very nicely detailed with great fitment of panels, paint quality, etc. It held it's own quite nicely in a pack of freshly primped and waxed NSX's!

Given identical skilled drivers, there is no way a standard NSX will keep up with a Noble. They are hand built cars and I think the interior is nice too. More interesting than the rather dull (but functional) NSX interior.

On a track day you have no idea what the other driver is doing. I have overtaken a F360 at Spa this year, what does that prove? Nothing.

Right click and save

Last edited:
I too saw Tim's Noble and NSXPO and was blown away with the fit and finish. Ive seen tons or kit cars and it is in no way even close to a comparison. I could have mistaken the Noble for a limited production General motors car- No offense Tim but the NSX fit and finish is among the best ive ever seen. Anyways I came home and raved about how nice the NOBLE was and someone I know is actually purchasing one now!! Great car and I look forward to one day driving one... or owning one :smile:

Back