M3 or NSX. What would YOU do?

In case this was in reference to my comment about chicks digging the M3, I doubt many NSX owners really care about it since we all know what a treasure the NSX is but I was throwing it out there as kind of a "fact" regarding people's general perceptions.

This summer, my friend took his Elise to the beach while I took my NSX and some of the girl lifeguards were all over the car that bc it was a "lotus" and called my car "just an Acura". I can honestly say that it wasn't that I was jealous of the attention (in reality it's a bit akward) but the lack of respect for the Honda/Acura brand, much less an NSX, was kind of offensive. I know the NSX is a dude magnet but c'mon- it doesn't exactly look like a boring car.

I like some of the euro marques too, but Honda makes some damn good cars, the best of which I still consider to be the NSX obviously. Actually, the NSX is my first Honda but since owning it I have discovered the magic Honda-ness that everyone falls in love with and now I see it in their other products like the RSX, S2000, CRX, Civic Si, Fit, etc. I think having a "halo" car works for companies... even in reverse. I don't think any company is capable of making cars as simultaneously exciting/fun and reliable as Honda.

I was glad to see the NSX getting due respect on the M3 forum for the most part, and it was interesting to hear the different opinions too.

"Wow, what kind of car is that?!?"
"It's an Acura."
"Oh."

Has this never happened to you?

Just say it's an NSX. You get the same Oh but with a different more confused look. LOL

come here and gimme a hug sans reach around......

20050801_elephant20hug.gif

"Wow, what kind of car is that?!?"
"It's an Acura."
"Oh."

Has this never happened to you?

LOL, not yet. When I had the honda wheelcaps though, someone asked me if it was a Lamborghini and then their head nearly exploded when they saw the wheel caps. I have also gotten the popular, "Is that the new 'vette?!"

I own both.

I own a 04 E46 M3 with a 6 speed, section 2 rasp eliminator, Rogue short shift kit. I replaced the factory 19 wheels with 18s. It is my daily driver.
With these changes, I found the car very good for my purpose. It has enough power and the ride and handling is very good.
I find it a very practical car, I am 5'10" and I can seat 4 passengers and it has alot of trunk space. When I drive it , I dont miss my NSX during the winter months.

In regards to my NSX, it is not a practical car, but it is awesome. The ride is more forgving than the M3 with the stock suspension. The acceleration is less torquey in stock form but I recently went CTSC and I find the experience better than the M3. You dont realize how fast the car is when it is supercharged.

I feel that you can beat the crap out of the M3 and dont feel bad when you crash because you can always get another one.

They stopped making the NSX, so I treasure my NSX.

In case this was in reference to my comment about chicks digging the M3, I doubt many NSX owners really care about it since we all know what a treasure the NSX is but I was throwing it out there as kind of a "fact" regarding people's general perceptions.

No it wasn't towards you. I forgot who posted the comment in the M3 forum, but he was saying something like that normal people don't know what the NSX is and mistaken it for just a Corvette whereas "everyone respects BMW", even if it was a 325i :rolleyes:

It's funny that you mention the story about the Lotus getting more respect and the NSX is just an Acura. When it comes to cars and women, unfortunately, 95% of them are ignorant. Actually I could probably say that about 75% of the people I have come across that has owned "the ultimate driving machine" too. Women treat it like fashion and go by brand recognition. No wonder Acura is trying so hard to be noticed these days... and failing lol.

Don't get offended Nero, they just don't know any better. You should have replied it's just a Toyota engine :cool: Actually it's probably more Yamaha really

Recognition/critique is pointless and useless unless it's coming from a credible or relevant source. I know there are a lot of die hard Honda fans up here and I respect Honda too, but let's face it. If Honda was better with their line-up for Acura, these issues wouldn't occur, but probably still exist among women :rolleyes:

6 lbs of boost. Power? Not sure, I havent had a chance to dyno it yet. Winter is coming so i wont do it until. Spring.

I also have ceramic coated CT headers, GT One 5.1 exhaust and CT high flow air intake

From my memory, the E36 was actually roomier in the back. I am not saying the M3 is NOT more practical than an NSX, but the M3 is not a model of practicality either. I mean it isn't a Sienna. I think the cars are somewhat close, with a slight npd going to the M3. In foul weather or when there is a need for cargo, both are a PITA. LOL... that's the price you pay for sport. With the Op living in hawaii, that brings the practicality level closer. He has no kids and has great weather year round. Gas is very expensive there and the NSX is slighty more efficient. It just narrows the gap.

Having owned 3 e36 M3s and 2 e46 M3s, I can say with confidence that the back seat in the e46 is SIGNIFICANTLY larger and more comfortable.

I'm 6'4 and my 6'6 brother can sit behind me in the 46. It's not great (for that combo), but it works fine in a pinch. And the GF and normal sized people can fit behind me with ease.

... and the M3 with snow tires is good in the snow, until the snow gets deep enough that you're significantly snow plowing. I go out every time it snows just to have a good time and it's my DD winter and summer. I only take the trunk when the snow gets over ~8 inches on the roads.

Why?

There's many, MANY good reasons to get an NSX... but that one is incredibly lame, imo.

Buy the car that's best for you, not to be seen in it.

It's just one reason I offer up of many reasons folks will offer on this forum. Why buy a Corvette, everyone has a corvette. I like to think rarity counts for something. Just sayin...

In the end the OP should buy what's best for them!! that is what it always comes down to.

Last edited:
I just went through all the pages on that M3 board. Wow.

Turbo, what you posted was a really good read. I think the silence after that post and the pictures was deafening. Way to represent.

Its true though, we have more in common than not. I would love to have an M3 alongside my NSX. Grouphug!
free-cute-smileys-289.gif

I totally agree. Turbo had an excellent point and some excellent thoughts.

What really makes one think is that in reality, the NSX is a better car, yet the egomiaism lives on the M3 thread I just started. Since when does helping someone make a smart decision become an emotional penis size contest.

Thanks for the suggestions and the write up. I was at a friends house last night who is an expert on the M3, his car has been on the cover of several magazines, and is such a perfectionist that we spent 2 hours just trying to get his headlights to level and decide between a 2mm difference. Most of the time we enjoyed talking about the idiotic responses on this thread. There are several emotionally challenged m3 drivers it seems.

So here's my thoughts, questions.
I do love this NSX I have found, I like the 3.2l rwd, the targa, and the fact that it's a 2002 means the updated headlights, the color is awesome, he's done the quality exhaust and clutch, plus it's in mint condition.... but does that mean I should buy it? At this price, I'd have no play money left. One of the reasons I bought my M3 is because it was so cheap, and modding it has been a joy, not a strain.

And I also know that at some point I will probably sc or turbo my NSX. I'm a hp freak, and want to make my NSX at least 450 at the wheels at some point down the line. It's a beautiful car, but in it's stock form, there's plenty of crappy cars out there with a stage 1 turbo that makes it look slow. My M3 now has over 300rwhp, times 0-60 in about 4.5 and a kid in an older LexusES300 with a stage 1 turbo stayed with me the other day pretty easy, plus the worst thing of all, a guy in an AMG Benz kicked my butt in a hwy run... Trust me, if I'm not a fan of some BMW egos (I underlined some because I am not making a general reference, there's some really really awesome guys driving them too), I am NOT a fan of the Mercedes Mentality.

With that being said. I'm thinking maybe finish my m3 mods, have a 500hp beast to play with and enjoy, and keep looking for the right NSX.
Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't spend another dime on M3 mods. You are putting effort into the wrong car. Sell the mods new so you can get more money. You're only a HP freak because you've not gotten into a racetrack yet. All your values will change. Sell the mods before you break something serious on the M3 and wind up putting even more money into it.

trust me 500hp is good but bmws break down too often than not . look on the m3 fourms nothing but threads about car issues.

IMO you should buy the blue NSX in Hawaii and accept the fact that it's going to be slow (relatively compared to newer cars these days) since you will not have play money to mod it.

If you don't want to be "embarrassed" by "lesser" cars on the streets, and have to have an NSX, sell your M3 and all the mods and buy an older (maybe NA1 and not in Hawaii and you will have to have it shipped) NSX for cheaper and spend the money and make it go fast.

However if you have to stretch yourself financially just to buy a toy car, maybe you should wait until you can afford it comfortably. In the end, it's just a freaking car.

Good luck.:smile:

I wouldn't spend another dime on M3 mods. You are putting effort into the wrong car. Sell the mods new so you can get more money. You're only a HP freak because you've not gotten into a racetrack yet. All your values will change. Sell the mods before you break something serious on the M3 and wind up putting even more money into it.

Although it's a good suggestion. No tracks in Hawaii. Only street and highway driving.

IMO you should buy the blue NSX in Hawaii and accept the fact that it's going to be slow (relatively compared to newer cars these days) since you will not have play money to mod it.

If you don't want to be "embarrassed" by "lesser" cars on the streets, and have to have an NSX, sell your M3 and all the mods and buy an older (maybe NA1 and not in Hawaii and you will have to have it shipped) NSX for cheaper and spend the money and make it go fast.

However if you have to stretch yourself financially just to buy a toy car, maybe you should wait until you can afford it comfortably. In the end, it's just a freaking car.

Good luck.:smile:

Great advice as well. I'm leaning heavily towards buying the blue one and enjoying it for a few years as is. It's an awesome car in it's current condition.
Anyone want to buy a very cusomized, badass Harley that will outrun an R1 off the line? :)

There will always be someone with a faster car than the one you have, so always chasing HP to try and outrun the next guy is futile. There are 1200-1500hp cars out there that aren't good at anything but freeway racing that just cruise around on saturday nights looking for people to tempt. To me, one-dimensional cars are the easiest to get bored with and feel the most regret towards. Are you sure you would really enjoy having a 500hp temperamental M3? Most AMG benzes will still kill it right from the factory along with a variety of other cars, and then you will want 700 hp to try and catch the next guy.

I do understand what you mean about modded cars being more fun than stock cars, because you can make things tailored to your desires and it's a really fun hobby. Still, I agree with turbo that you'd be putting the mods onto the wrong car. Find an older NSX to mod comfortably and you would be blown away how much fun it is. And addictive...

If I were you, that's what I would do as well. Don't wait. Life is short. Buy the blue NSX. It's a nice car and in great condition. Enjoy it for what it is. It would be nice cruising down Waikiki beach with the top off in a nice car. There will always be faster cars out there no matter how much money you spend modding your car.

Sorry I am not into Harley !!:tongue:
Great advice as well. I'm leaning heavily towards buying the blue one and enjoying it for a few years as is. It's an awesome car in it's current condition.
Anyone want to buy a very cusomized, badass Harley that will outrun an R1 off the line? :)

You have no track, and you will never be tracking any car. That changes things completely IMO. Now, my suggestion is get the blue car and leave it alone (you won't, but try). You don't need to be racing anyone down the streets. Most people that have never been in an NSX don't realize how quick the car feels. It's a 3000 pound car fon't forget. I was stupid and I bought a supercharger before I even had my car (group buy). Then I got the car and felt how fast it was... and all that stuff in my head because I was reading specs was nonsense. The NSX will offer you so much in other areas you will forget needing to win stoplight races really quick. I get people that want to race me all the time... I just smile at them. Street racing is really dumb anyway. Get the blue car and leave it alone!

Greetings bonhamsurf,

Tough dilemma with no easy solutions. If I were in the same situation, I would do the following:

1. Freeze all expenditure/modification to the M3/cancel any incoming parts.
2. Commit myself to NSX ownership.
if yes, then I'd buy That NSX now paid in full without financing. However if I have no cash then I would sell the M3. Of course I risk losing That NSX. Don't worry, there is another NSX out there for sale.
if no, then enjoy the M3 for now and go surfing, sailing, diving... No more headaches analyzing over this subject. Stop visiting NSXPrime website and stop reading and thinking about the NSX.

There, I solved your dilemma.

Greetings bonhamsurf,

Tough dilemma with no easy solutions. If I were in the same situation, I would do the following:

1. Freeze all expenditure/modification to the M3/cancel any incoming parts.
2. Commit myself to NSX ownership.
if yes, then I'd buy That NSX now paid in full without financing. However if I have no cash then I would sell the M3. Of course I risk losing That NSX. Don't worry, there is another NSX out there for sale.
if no, then enjoy the M3 for now and go surfing, sailing, diving... No more headaches analyzing over this subject. Stop visiting NSXPrime website and stop reading and thinking about the NSX.

There, I solved your dilemma.

LOL, actually a great post and even better suggestions. If only it were so simple. most of my parts are here in Hawaii or already installed on my car. So I've already paid for and had shipped all of the clutch, subframe, bushings, etc. The only thing not here yet is the Supercharger, which I've already paid for and they started to build for me and I've paid the shipper already.
But, since everything will be brand new and in the original, unopened box, I'm sure I can resell the parts if I need to.

Knowing that I'm already $6,000 of labor and parts that have been completed on my M3, and all parts have been paid for, and all except the SC has been shipped to my home, would you suggest the same? I'm just the labor cost and 2 weeks away from a 500+hp car for not too much over half of the NSX cost?

Back