M3 or NSX. What would YOU do?

Can someone tell me why the M3 is thought of as so much more practical an than an NSX? The rear seats? they are almost useless. Especially in a cabrio. I certainly won't fit, perhaps an 8 year old. It's not really more comfortable. It'd not more reliable. The trunk is barely bigger. It is nothing great in snow either. I find the driver's seat to not go back as far. So what makes it SO MUCH more practical? I mean... slightly more practical maybe... but everyone always sees the M3 as so much more practical and I don't get it.

If you REALLY NEED TO, you can still get 4 people in the M3, but not for the NSX...

If you REALLY NEED TO, you can still get 4 people in the M3, but not for the NSX...

how? by moving the front seats to where you are eating your knees for about 30 minutes max? have you guys sat in the rear of an M3? that one fact doesn't make the car "a lot" more practical to me. Depreciation, MPG, reliability, ride quality, all favor the NSX (even if slightly so). Just because most of us don't drive the NSX much doesn't mean it can't be. I bet Hugh sees his car as very practical.

wow alot of bmw fanboys are haters, im a bmw owner and most bmw owners think there hipsters/elite but truth is my bmw is just a beater and it has broke down a ton of times i only kept it bc i paid it off

Yeah, actually a lot of the "elite" bmw thinkers hate it when we mod them, I, however, think that is exactly what an inline 6 was invented for. My 1969 bronco with no doors, no top and 33" tires is what puts me in the Elite. Not my M3!

That was a funny read. I'm kind of glad the one user dasXXX does not own the NSX yet. He could relax on the NSX propaganda. It interesting to see that there are many of the car guys on that forum that would pick the NSX over the M3. Like many have said tho, they are two totally different cars with different paths of ownership.

It got out of hand when they start mixing facts up with opinions. The one guy that mentioned that the M3 would probably get more recognition is right tho. But if you bought a car simply for recognition, then that says a lot about your character and also the ones that give you attention because you drive a "BMW".

how? by moving the front seats to where you are eating your knees for about 30 minutes max? have you guys sat in the rear of an M3? that one fact doesn't make the car "a lot" more practical to me. Depreciation, MPG, reliability, ride quality, all favor the NSX (even if slightly so). Just because most of us don't drive the NSX much doesn't mean it can't be. I bet Hugh sees his car as very practical.

Didn't own an E46 M3, but I did own an E36 M3 for several years. I'd imagine the back seat is at least as spacious as the E36, but I might be wrong there. Anywho the back seat was perfectly fine, carried people back there all the time. Snug? Yep. My knees in the dash? Nah. And I'm 6'2", people in the back weren't football players mind you, but they weren't tiny or kids either. Not sure what you're talkin about there unless the E46 back seat is significantly smaller than the E36... M3 is DEFINITELY more flexible than an NSX. People carrying capacity aside, you can put a bunch more stuff in the car if you use the trunk and the back seat.

Didn't own an E46 M3, but I did own an E36 M3 for several years. I'd imagine the back seat is at least as spacious as the E36, but I might be wrong there. Anywho the back seat was perfectly fine, carried people back there all the time. Snug? Yep. My knees in the dash? Nah. And I'm 6'2", people in the back weren't football players mind you, but they weren't tiny or kids either. Not sure what you're talkin about there unless the E46 back seat is significantly smaller than the E36... M3 is DEFINITELY more flexible than an NSX. People carrying capacity aside, you can put a bunch more stuff in the car if you use the trunk and the back seat.

From my memory, the E36 was actually roomier in the back. I am not saying the M3 is NOT more practical than an NSX, but the M3 is not a model of practicality either. I mean it isn't a Sienna. I think the cars are somewhat close, with a slight npd going to the M3. In foul weather or when there is a need for cargo, both are a PITA. LOL... that's the price you pay for sport. With the Op living in hawaii, that brings the practicality level closer. He has no kids and has great weather year round. Gas is very expensive there and the NSX is slighty more efficient. It just narrows the gap.

I just went through all the pages on that M3 board. Wow.

Turbo, what you posted was a really good read. I think the silence after that post and the pictures was deafening. Way to represent.

Its true though, we have more in common than not. I would love to have an M3 alongside my NSX. Grouphug!
free-cute-smileys-289.gif

I just went through all the pages on that M3 board. Wow.

Turbo, what you posted was a really good read. I think the silence after that post and the pictures was deafening. Way to represent.

Its true though, we have more in common than not. I would love to have an M3 alongside my NSX. Grouphug!
free-cute-smileys-289.gif

Yeah I actually think that last post about the M3 being developed the way it was and the NSX being developed the way it was needs to be posted here too.

I think if you are a really knowledgable car guy it is important to look beyond the looks and fluffy performance numbers and look at a car's genetics. This is where the NSX has always excelled. I have doubts about even a new NSX because the factory probably doesn't want another loser for the bean counters. The best way to avoid this is to do what BMW and MB do... take an existing car and modify it using a platform that is already developed. Keep costs down. This business of making a car from scratch is really expensive even though the results can be better eventually.

Our current NSX was a forgotten-about car. Let's face it... all of us got lucky. It came at Honda's financial expense. This is also why this car responds so extremely well to modifications. I still can't believe how fast my mildly modded NSX is around the track... and how exotic it looks with a few bolt-on parts. You own this car and you forget what it is like and what it costs for real exotic car ownership.

One of the many reasons why I went with the GTO over the E46 M3, which was in my finalist along with a CL55.

All 3 cars offered 4 seats and 2 doors, but had different emphasis (sport, luxury, MPGs, etc.)

Dam.

I'm sooooo itching to register on there and introduce my more powerful and sexier NSX.

I can't tell u how many times people see my NSX in person and have their attitudes about the car change 180 degrees for the better.

One of the comments that almost made me choke on my coffee was that the BMW is more luxury than the NSX.

perhaps it's the butt heaters and nav system. Certainly not the stitched dashboard.....

From my memory, the E36 was actually roomier in the back. I am not saying the M3 is NOT more practical than an NSX, but the M3 is not a model of practicality either. I mean it isn't a Sienna. I think the cars are somewhat close, with a slight npd going to the M3. In foul weather or when there is a need for cargo, both are a PITA. LOL... that's the price you pay for sport. With the Op living in hawaii, that brings the practicality level closer. He has no kids and has great weather year round. Gas is very expensive there and the NSX is slighty more efficient. It just narrows the gap.

Yah you have a point - if you have a need for speed and can have only one car, hard to beat the M3, but if you can have a truly practical second vehicle, the M3 doesn't make much sense over the NSX (IMHO). My E36 M3 was abysmal in the snow - though I'm pretty sure it was due to the Michelin Pilot Sports on there. In the end, the M3...E36, E46, E92...they're all souped up 3 series. Amazing performance considering, but it's just a different experience. Doesn't matter how fast the upright coupe/sedan is, it'll never be a low slung exotic like the NSX - if that's the drivign experience you want, you know what you have to do :)

Dam.

I'm sooooo itching to register on there and introduce my more powerful and sexier NSX.

Don't even bother, it's a waste of your time. They've all overdosed on "Ultimate Driving Machine" Kool-Aid and are ignorant to the fact that they are driving glorified taxi cabs.

When I still owned the e36 m3, those bmw folks loved to gloat over the r&t article that the m3 "beat" the NSX, f355 and other sports cars in the comparo.

Don't even bother, it's a waste of your time. They've all overdosed on "Ultimate Driving Machine" Kool-Aid and are ignorant to the fact that they are driving glorified taxi cabs.

LOL.

That is how I found this site.

I was a FD owner and a good number of folks on here were like the BMW folks on there with their high and mighty attitudes towards the FD.

LOL... leave it to Hugh to create a car-guy bond...

M3 taxi cab... would remind me of this

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7H8-9wRGFOs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dam.

I can't tell u how many times people see my NSX in person and have their attitudes about the car change 180 degrees for the better.

One of the comments that almost made me choke on my coffee was that the BMW is more luxury than the NSX.

perhaps it's the butt heaters and nav system. Certainly not the stitched dashboard.....

You should do it. Introducing NSX to other car enthusiasts that don't know too much about them should be a satisfying experience. :smile:

You should do it. Introducing NSX to other car enthusiasts that don't know too much about them should be a satisfying experience. :smile:

I concur. Go introduce some more education and drama there :biggrin:

I'm on there with the fishing line out there.

let them fire first. I'll use the FD and GTO as lure since that has upset a few people on here and seems to work well....

Before I picked up my NSX, I was really looking at getting a LSB E46 Coupe. In fact, there was a pretty clean LSB in the 626 area with low mileage and decent mods. However, I could not let go of the NSX chase.

LOVING every minute of NSX ownership. :biggrin:

I'm on there with the fishing line out there.

let them fire first. I'll use the FD and GTO as lure since that has upset a few people on here and seems to work well....

Bat, don't go causing problems. These guys are cool and the M3 is a good car. I stated facts as they are. Please don't go starting some useless war just so you can keep yourself entertained.

I actually thoght your post was civil, but you always worry me...

Let's not turn this into a my car versus your car thing. The OP had a genuine question. If what you post isn't helpful to that, I don't know why you'd want to post. How about making a statement that an NSX owner is classy not someone that throws fishing lines out. I hope you are joking...

The one guy that mentioned that the M3 would probably get more recognition is right tho. But if you bought a car simply for recognition, then that says a lot about your character and also the ones that give you attention because you drive a "BMW".

In case this was in reference to my comment about chicks digging the M3, I doubt many NSX owners really care about it since we all know what a treasure the NSX is but I was throwing it out there as kind of a "fact" regarding people's general perceptions.

This summer, my friend took his Elise to the beach while I took my NSX and some of the girl lifeguards were all over the car that bc it was a "lotus" and called my car "just an Acura". I can honestly say that it wasn't that I was jealous of the attention (in reality it's a bit akward) but the lack of respect for the Honda/Acura brand, much less an NSX, was kind of offensive. I know the NSX is a dude magnet but c'mon- it doesn't exactly look like a boring car.

I like some of the euro marques too, but Honda makes some damn good cars, the best of which I still consider to be the NSX obviously. Actually, the NSX is my first Honda but since owning it I have discovered the magic Honda-ness that everyone falls in love with and now I see it in their other products like the RSX, S2000, CRX, Civic Si, Fit, etc. I think having a "halo" car works for companies... even in reverse. I don't think any company is capable of making cars as simultaneously exciting/fun and reliable as Honda.

I was glad to see the NSX getting due respect on the M3 forum for the most part, and it was interesting to hear the different opinions too.

Bat, don't go causing problems. These guys are cool and the M3 is a good car. I stated facts as they are. Please don't go starting some useless war just so you can keep yourself entertained.

I actually thoght your post was civil, but you always worry me...

Let's not turn this into a my car versus your car thing. The OP had a genuine question. If what you post isn't helpful to that, I don't know why you'd want to post. How about making a statement that an NSX owner is classy not someone that throws fishing lines out. I hope you are joking...

come here and gimme a hug sans reach around......

Back