Lowering your car and scraping

Right now my NSX has stock suspension and the nose of it seems pretty low. I took it through a touchless carwash to get some tree sap off, and the nose just barely scraped on the wheel alignment thing in the car wash. I was thinking, if I had this thing lowered an inch, I would have to back out of the car wash!!!

So I'm wondering, if I put new suspension on my NSX, and lower it an inch or so, am I in for a world of pain???

Do youguys ever get stuck places because of it being too low? Do you regret doing it? I want better handling, but I also want to daily drive it without a big headache.

My car is as low as the first ridge of a soda can. I've just had to be cautious about where I go and angle my car like a mo-fo. But it's worth the look and the performance. No regrets for sure...

jond said:
I took it through a touchless carwash to get some tree sap off, and the nose just barely scraped on the wheel alignment thing in the car wash.

You need to find a touchless car wash with no wheel tracks. There should be plenty of these in your area.

I have Tein RAs and my car is about an inch lower then stock. I drive it 40,000 miles a year. You'll be fine.

I lowered mine with the Dali springs....the overall drop is around 1.25" in the front and rear. The car looks fantastic. I rarely scrape on things. However, I avoid steep curbs like the plague.

Lower it, you'll be fine with some good judgement calls on where you can and cannot go.

If you've never driven a lowered car you'll be in for a surprise. You can't even slide your foot under the front spoiler of my car and I drive around town just fine. However, I've been driving lowered cars almost all my life. I even know where to dodge potholes/manholes, on certain roads.

good luck
x

my car is lower with bil. shock, i scrap the car very bad since i drive in NYC, now i MUST take it to the auto shop to ajust the height back to stock. :frown:

btcog82 said:
or just install air suspension

Air suspension on NSX? This must violate the performance around the track or am I thinking of something else now?

Heightadjusting with a touch of a button and without loss of performance would be great :)

jond said:
Right now my NSX has stock suspension and the nose of it seems pretty low. I took it through a touch less carwash to get some tree sap off, and the nose just barely scraped on the wheel alignment thing in the car wash. I was thinking, if I had this thing lowered an inch, I would have to back out of the car wash!!!

So I'm wondering, if I put new suspension on my NSX, and lower it an inch or so, am I in for a world of pain???

Do you guys ever get stuck places because of it being too low? Do you regret doing it? I want better handling, but I also want to daily drive it without a big headache.

Lowering the ride height an otherwise stock NSX a full inch is typically acceptable for most owners... but...

IMO, lowering the vehicle significantly beyond that is one of the most significant drivability compromises for a daily driver. Because the NSX has such a long wheel base, it's even more noticeable on gradient changes. Add a bigger aftermarket front bumper or splitter, and it gets far worse as the distance from the front lip to the front wheels increases. Every application, geographical area, and personal usage is different, but in general you really need to be willing to make a lot of sacrifices when your front end is 3.75-3.25" or less off the ground as it can really start to get restrictive.

What is or is not tolerable is very much subjective, but I finally tucked my ride height up a little bit, and now shyed toward using slightly larger outter diameters on the street vs. theoretical ideals to keep the ride height up a little, as taken to the extreme end it just gets about ridiculous, and you are essentially confined to either the track or the most smooth roads to the point whereas you find yourself 'scouting out' every road before you take it knowing that about half the roads are essentially un-drivable (the Midwest plains must be a nice commute). Every transition need be taken at an angle, driven slowly.. it gets really old. 90% of the fiberglass stress cracks I have incurred is due to ride height coupled with extreme body roll, and at 2.75-3" flat all around it's really not a lot of fun..

- Unforseen debris, pavement seems, and alligators on the highway-
dangerous.. you must leave distance and retain visibility.
- Most service centers, car washes, oil change places- out. I've even cut it
awefully close getting onto lifts at race shops using long ramps, but part of
that is the canards on the body kit.
- Steep driveways, definitely out without ramps.
- Most convenience center parking lots, gas stations, out.
- Most urban cities with poor roads and steep transitions, out.
- Rail road tracks- always should be taken with care, but look out in the rear view mirror the F150 behind you
usually takes this at 35mph and is probably in a hurry and hates your car.

The point being, that the public roads are engineered for SUV's and passenger cars with relatively higher ride heights. Dropping it down will almost always result in significant compromises. Having an adjustable suspension is invaluable. The air feature on the Gallardo which raises the front end is definitely pretty snazzy. I believe it adds 33 lbs the one owner mentioned to me at the last meet but I have not looked into the systems. There was a thread recently in the vendor forums, how did that work out Brandon do you have that installed on your ride now?

Last edited:
John@Microsoft said:
Dropping it down will almost always result in significant compromises. Having an adjustable suspension is invaluable. The air feature on the Gallardo which raises the front end is definitely pretty snazzy. I believe it adds 33 lbs the one owner mentioned to me at the last meet but I have not looked into the systems. There was a thread recently in the vendor forums, how did that work out Brandon do you have that installed on your ride now?

I only drove it about a week before I moved, She's still there (in MO) getting more mods as we speak:wink: When I drove on normal roads, I would set the height to about 3". Rode smooth because the individual air valve feed, no out of the ordinary swaying. I dragged a couple times on a country road out there (long and flat for about 3 miles) in the middle of nowhere about 5 or 6 times just to see the feel of it, honestly no different from the tein springs I had on there. I am currently in Salt Lake, I can see if my mechanic will take some pics for me to post. When I parked just for looks, I would go as low as I could about 1 3/4" from the ground, due to my wheel sizes 18/19. NEVER DROVE AT THAT HEIGHT THOUGH! Lowest I would let her ride was about 2 1/4"...smooth sailing. I'm not a track guy though. But in the city it was just fine, not to mention I could get up in the McDonalds drive thru now...:biggrin: :wink: hehe!!

My car is lowered about an inch and the flatbed guy ripped the stock front lip off of my car. I had to flatbed it to get a new clutch put in and we used 2 x 4's to help get it on and off the bed. When removing it though, I watched in horror as my front lip got ripped off :mad:

That one inch that was lowered would have made the difference from what I witnessed. Oh well, like someone else said, it looks soooo much cooler though..... I bought a new lip and kept the car lowered.

SilverStone05 said:
I lowered mine with the Dali springs....the overall drop is around 1.25" in the front and rear. The car looks fantastic. I rarely scrape on things. However, I avoid steep curbs like the plague.

Lower it, you'll be fine with some good judgement calls on where you can and cannot go.

Hi SilverStone05,
I plan to lower my NSX too but I'm not sure how low. I have Enki 17" front and 18" rear with Dunlop SP9000. You said your NSX look fantastic, can I see some pictures of your ride?:smile: If I like get I will lower my exactly the same as your.

Thanks for advance!

John@Microsoft said:
- Rail road tracks- always should be taken with care, but look out in the rear view mirror the F150 behind you
usually takes this at 35mph and is probably in a hurry and hates your car.

LOL.... How true....

I've almost figured out how to drive my '95, after 2500 miles of ownership (2 months). The car sits very low on H&R springs, and it has a Wings West body kit, including front lip. Although angling helps to some extent, there situations always arise that are too extreme for the lip to clear as I sit now, and unfortunately, some of the roads out here have beat it up pretty badly. I actually bought some Tein RA coilovers and plan to raise the car about an inch, as its just too stressful at times driving it daily so low. The front wheels are tucked under the fender, so its on the extreme side, imo. Gotta love the look, but I want to preserve my front lip more than the insanely aggressive look.

On the bright side, walking out from one of my clients homes yesterday (she has a 2 million dollar home 3 houses from the ocean...beach block in Margate, NJ), there was a note on the car from one of her neighbors reading, "If you have any interest in selling yoru car, call joe 215-xxx-xxxx." Not that it has anything to do with the topic, but I thought that was pretty sweet:smile:

nsxpurextc said:
Hi SilverStone05,
I plan to lower my NSX too but I'm not sure how low. I have Enki 17" front and 18" rear with Dunlop SP9000. You said your NSX look fantastic, can I see some pictures of your ride?:smile: If I like get I will lower my exactly the same as your.

Thanks for advance!

See this thread for my car, which is lowered on Bilsteins (upper perch) and dali springs, should be the same as lowering on stock shocks and dali's. I have 17/18 rims. Hope this helps.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=591755&postcount=2

Carl

nsxpurextc said:
Hi SilverStone05,

Thanks for advance!

DSC04285.jpg

Its settled even more since then....its gotten a little lower. I'll have to take more pics, but this should give you an idea.

My car is at the stock ride height and I still have to worry about scraping the front end occasionally. I prefer it at this height and I think it looks great. I'm really glad I never lowered it.

SilverStone05 said:
DSC04285.jpg

Its settled even more since then....its gotten a little lower. I'll have to take more pics, but this should give you an idea.

Your NSX looks great, I like it and I will drop the same height. NSXs look sexier when the cars drop than the stock height. Thanks again for a picture!

lowering nsx = Scapes everything. thats my 2 cents.

you gota take every speed bump ricer style, one wheel at a time.. and acturally there has been times where i needed to back up and go around the bump because my car just could not get over the hump.

Learn to fear the speed bumps as i have :eek:

btcog82 said:
Thats why I have air suspension, before I sat 2 1/4" off the ground with tein springs and body kit,

I'd love to see more details on your setup. Is it custom, or purchased somewhere. the closest I have seen is from Praxis, but they have not developed a system for the NSX yet. Any and all information (and pics:biggrin: ) would be greatly appreciated.

My first sportscar was a nissan 300zx. It was lowered about 1.25", and like the NSX is one of those rare cars that is already quite low stock. I carried some 2X4 wedges in the hatch incase I needed them. They fit under the carpet and enabled me to get on a normal tire rack if I had a flat, emergency, etc. Note, backing up in many cases can cause almost the exact same angle so be weary.

sahtt said:
I carried some 2X4 wedges in the hatch incase I needed them. They fit under the carpet and enabled me to get on a normal tire rack if I had a flat, emergency, etc.

Great idea! Did you make these from 2x4 lumber, or are "2x4 wedges" an item that can be purchased pre-cut? I made a note in my schedule to make something like this asap.:)

Back