• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long Term Updates on SOS SC/Laminova IC?

I have the comptech Whipple low boost. Car made 365whp. I would suggest even with this kit some type of tuning. My car was running very lean with the stock kit
Not sure if this was an issue with the older Whipple unit CT no longer sells. I have the last gen Autorotor unit and is what I thought the same unit currently sold (or at least very similar). I haven't researched what CT currently sells very much. I monitor my AFRs fanatically and sometimes it even dips into the 10s! Nothing lean here...

You might want to check out your setup. I even had my injectors flow tested and cleaned before installing the CTSC. Also swapped out my 20yo fuel pump which any NSX owner should do if they have an early gen car.

btw.. yes... with a good tune an EMS setup is ideal but that is with a good tune. If you can't find a local tuner who's bright, talented, and experienced.. you'll end up with a bigger headache.

Last edited:
A walbro 255 fixed any leanness I had. My A/F is fine now.

I did the same to mine and it is definitely using more fuel. I have not dynoed it but there is no way to get a clean tune with an Fmu. A 10k supercharger kit needs fuel management. A fuel pump works Burks not ideal

Careful with going too rich.

The fuel can wash off the protective film of oil on ur cylinder walls and piston skirts.
My car is in the shop as we speak. Unfortunately Aem doesnt make a standalone for drive by wire so i had to get an Fic. I'm getting 550cc injectors, FIC, Aem water meth kit and a 10lb pulley installed. Hopefully i can get it tuned next week. My car feels like its running rich since i put the walboro 255 in and im sure it is on the bottom end but didnt dyno it again since i was planning on doing these upgrades. I'm able to get 93 octane here and with the meth kit im hoping to reduce detonation so running 10lbs im hoping will be fairly safe. I'm not looking to increase power with the meth but rather use it to cool the IAT. Once i get the car tuned i will post the results.

Last edited:
My car is in the shop as we speak. Unfortunately Aem doesnt make a standalone for drive by wire so i had to get an Fic. I'm getting 550cc injectors, FIC, Aem water meth kit and a 10lb pulley installed. Hopefully i can get it tuned next week. My car feels like its running rich since i put the walboro 255 in and im sure it is on the bottom end but didnt dyno it again since i was planning on doing these upgrades. I'm able to get 93 octane here and with the meth kit im hoping to reduce detonation so running 10lbs im hoping will be fairly safe. I'm not looking to increase power with the meth but rather use it to cool the IAT. Once i get the car tuned i will post the results.
Nice setup! I'm jealous!

Let us know if you get any belt slippage. Dave's solid tensioner is next on my list but I have't experienced slip yet after proper adjustment. Wondering if that's a must on a 9-10lb pulley like everyone says it is.

Good luck! Pls post results!

Nice setup! I'm jealous!

Let us know if you get any belt slippage. Dave's solid tensioner is next on my list but I have't experienced slip yet after proper adjustment. Wondering if that's a must on a 9-10lb pulley like everyone says it is.

Good luck! Pls post results!
I bought the comptech one and didnt realize i already had it on my car. So rather then return it to SOS im going to put it up for sale

I always get torn when I ask these questions because I get both answers. If all SC's do really require a tune, then the SOS system makes more sense because of much bigger gains in power. I always assumed CTSC was plug and play but it sounds like that's not the optimal way to use it.

I'm willing to invest the time and effort to get it tuned right somewhere. I just hope that once a system is set, it's one and done and I don't have to make repeat trips.

I always get torn when I ask these questions because I get both answers. If all SC's do really require a tune, then the SOS system makes more sense because of much bigger gains in power. I always assumed CTSC was plug and play but it sounds like that's not the optimal way to use it.

I'm willing to invest the time and effort to get it tuned right somewhere. I just hope that once a system is set, it's one and done and I don't have to make repeat trips.

CTSC is plug and play if you keep it at 6lbs. Its plenty fun and probably the safest, most tested FI solution on the market.

If I plan to go the CTSC route (and see if power is enough), would it be costly to convert it into a high-boost setup?

I think you need:
1. larger injectors
2. AEM
3. Smaller Pulley

You also remove parts of the low boost kit if you are going AEM.

You don't HAVE to use AEM. Many high-boost don't, but I would.

If I plan to go the CTSC route (and see if power is enough), would it be costly to convert it into a high-boost setup?

The comptech kit provides enough of power.My car is plenty fast now. I'm upgrading right now and its every bit of $2,000 to go to high boost is you do it right. You really need to cool the intake charge also. To me to spend $2,500 on an intercooler is not cost effective so I went with Aem water/Meth which adds another $400 to the $2,000 plus install.

I think you need:
1. larger injectors
2. AEM
3. Smaller Pulley

You also remove parts of the low boost kit if you are going AEM.

You don't HAVE to use AEM. Many high-boost don't, but I would.

Sorry for my ignorance. What is AEM? and What does it do and do I need to have for year 2000 and up models?

I checked SOS website , they only have for year 91-94 models.

Is that not the same with the CTSC?

Bottom line is that every car seems to have slightly different mods and results.

At the end of the day a proper tune is the safe way to go as oppose to a "mail-order" tune.

No, the CTSC doesn't really allow for any tune. You can adjust a screw to get more fuel pressure, but that's about it.

I have talked to Shad a lot about going with the AEM and his thoughts are it would be safer but probably wouldnt pick up very much more power.

No, the CTSC doesn't really allow for any tune. You can adjust a screw to get more fuel pressure, but that's about it.

I have talked to Shad a lot about going with the AEM and his thoughts are it would be safer but probably wouldnt pick up very much more power.

The only thing u need for the CTSC (or any FI solution) to be tunable is to get an AEM FIC or EMS or a tunable ECU.

U can't tune the SC.

In my past experience you will gain at least 5%. Most of the gains are not always peak but more mid range. I just don't see spending 10k+ on a forced induction set up and not get it properly tuned but that's just me

In my past experience you will gain at least 5%. Most of the gains are not always peak but more mid range. I just don't see spending 10k+ on a forced induction set up and not get it properly tuned but that's just me

My SOS SC has the AEM FIC (piggy back), not the EMS (full replacement ECU).

EMS is suppose to offer a better control of the tune than the FIC which will make it inherently "safer".

There are about 40 ScienceofSpeed systems in the field now. Several have been used for three years now. If you search NSXPrime, there have been several reviews (Dennis C, Chris N, & Don T come to mind) and these customers still have the systems installed. The manifold and belt drive system is identical to the CT kit, which has been on the market for 9-10 years now. Both systems have been rock solid.

As Allen mentioned, even with out the intercooler, the larger supercharger has lower discharge temperatures than the smaller units used in the Comptech systems. In addition, unlike the Comptech / CT systems, our system includes fuel and ignition control where the CT system offers fuel control only. In general, due to the added cost, we usually only recommend the intercooler if the customer is wanting the last nth % of power available, or will be building the engine and wants to take advantage of the larger capacity of the engine. I would be equally comfortable with installing a standard or a intercooled system on your car.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Sorry for my ignorance. What is AEM? and What does it do and do I need to have for year 2000 and up models?

I checked SOS website , they only have for year 91-94 models.

The AEM F/IC, which is included at no charge with our supercharger system, is ideal for your year and application.

For much more complex forced induction systems, like turbochargers with wastegate control, we do offer a stand alone system for the 1995-05 NSX:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...roducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/EMS_1995-2005_NSX/

cheers,
-- Chris

I highly recommend against increasing the boost pressure over the "standard" Comptech/CT 6 PSI with out improvements to the standard fuel system. This would include engine management, fuel injectors, and fuel pump. With out the appropriate upgrades, we have seen engines damaged from detonation.

-- Chris

From my observation from reading various threads on prime, it seems like for sc cars with similar boost, cars with meth injection make slightly more hp than cars with aftercoolers. Is it a correct statement or am I just talking out of my azz?

From my observation from reading various threads on prime, it seems like for sc cars with similar boost, cars with meth injection make slightly more hp than cars with aftercoolers. Is it a correct statement or am I just talking out of my azz?

For the summer heat this statement is more appropriate. IC is good until it gets heat soaked.

I've taken the liberty to ceramic coat the end tanks of my IC to minimize engine compartment heat from radiating into the IC. 50%~ heat reduction.

I will be taking the front mount IC and have that coated with a thermo dissipation coating that have worked in the STi community.

Meth and/or water injection will give more of a consistent performance related to where you are going with this.

My concerns with Meth are:

1. extra weight
2. what happens when u run out and someone worth like an Aventador is next to you?
3. just one more thing that can go wrong (from installation or just going bad) to deal with
4. pretty toxic stuff (inhalation and absorbs through skin)

Back