is it true that an NSX handles better than an EVO9?

NsXMas said:
Get over what?

This is one of the dumbest posts ever.

We asked him to define handling.

You know what, my SUV handles better than my NSX, especially when I go off-road.

Wow, my cheap ass SUV is a lot better than my NSX. :rolleyes:

sorry.... i meant on the track and off road. you take it on the track, you'll get a faster track time; you take it rallying, you'll make it to the end. and, yeah, it handles better.

i'm not saying the nsx is a better or worse car. i drive an nsx too, not an evo. i'm just sick of people over playing it. if you honestly think it's the best thing out there in every regard then you're ignorant.

and why are you getting so offended? it's not like the evo handles like garbage - it's a pretty amazing machine, go drive one sometime.

This thread has turned into an arguement sesh lol

NSX_BOB said:
This thread has turned into an arguement sesh lol

Hi NSX_BOB

That is because everyone has started to quote all kinds of arguments from all kinds of different sources.
If I would quote acceleration numbers for the NSX from several German car magazines I would be quoting acceleration times fror 0-100 kph (62.15 mph) of MORE THEN 6 seconds. Go figure that!! :confused:
And no, those are not numbers for the automatic shifter either.

You know what, my SUV handles better than my NSX, especially when I go off-road.
Hmm, that reminds me of a benefit trackday I went to some time ago. Apart from some mean Paris-Dakar Rally Trucks who where actually going quite fast, there one guy in this old car that went around very quick. However, he did take shortcuts in almost every turn. A SUV could do the same. Why follow the road if it ain't necessary.

it's not like the evo handles like garbage - it's a pretty amazing machine, go drive one sometime.

I think the Evo is right up there with many other excellent handling cars. And it doesn't matter how it looks or where it came from. We are talking handling here.
The Evo and NSX are very similar in power output when stock.
Now take 10 Evo's and 10 NSX's, all stock, and let their owners drive around a track as fast as they dare. I think you will end up with a very mixed ranking.

"Where as most NSX's tend to understeer pretty significantly in stock form, the evo is a pretty impressive performer on the track and a bit more gutsy through the midrange."

I'm sry .... sir... did you say understeer? :eek: u kidding right?

Julia

Although it's probably been already said.. they are just different cars and both are great. Anyone can build a car for xx dolars that is xyz (eg fast in x, turns well etc..) and compromises will have to be made unless money is no object (and you are building an Enzo..). The EVO and the NSX makes tradeoffs, they are just slightly different.

I like both cars. The EVO is so fun to rally on and it gives you a very strong sense of the road. So does the NSX - it's just different. The NSX is like 2" off the ground.. the EVO is.. like 24" (I'm being facetious) etc....

I think we should all just shut up and get both :)

Sorry for bringing up a dead subject but I saw this and may have something to ad. My student at the last track event had an STI. I know, not an EVO, but really close and most consider it better in handling.

This one was modified - big power, larger intercooler, harnesses, and other stuff. But, he had street tires and brakes.

It was amazing for a stock car with stock tires. It rockets out of turns. It is super easy to drive, after you get used to it for a few laps. It can do some amazing stuff too, like fly into turns, understeering like a pig, then somehow still make the turn - after adding *either* brake or gas. "real" cars go flying if you do that.

At turn exit, just nail the gas. If you think you are going to not stay on track, lift and it just grips. Since it was pulling with all four wheels, this doesn't upset the car as much as a "real" car.

This one had allegedly 370hp. It was FAST. It was way faster out of turns than my stock 1992 NSX as far as feel. It hits big numbers down the straights.

At first, my student didn't know me and wasn't sure what I was trying to tell him about braking less and being smoother - and taking other lines. I was showing him the race line not the instructional line and it was new/unusual. After 3 sessions, I offered him to ride with me in my humble 270hp car that is 15 years old.

It was after that he asked me to drive his car - which is how I got to drive a somewhat monster STI and can give you the info I did before.

Now, you might say, what's faster, a modified STI or an old stock NSX? Well, his car had more power but stock tires and brake pads. The brakes were not the issue - my experience in the car was. I didn't time myself but he was about as fast as I was I'd guess. When I timed him, solo, he was about 7 seconds a lap slower than me. Racier tiers are good for about 3 seconds a lap... not even close. Driver does matter, obviously.

Similarly, at lunch one day, a viper driver came over with 3 buddies to see the supercharged NSX. Sorry to disappoint dudes... don't have one. Is an NSX faster than a Viper? Dumb question.

C6 in my group. At our first meeting and my first event in the NSX in 7 years, he said "I rarely get passed at DE events." I said nothing. After day 2, he likes NSXes (again, he had street tires which helped me).

The instructor group was full of F-stock 944 turbos, 911s, Cayman's and a Cayman GT. Are NSXes faster than all of them? Question can't really be answered just because they were on the track at the same time. Too many variables.

Back to STI's and EVO's quickly - they are easy to drive insanely fast. At 10/10ths, however, I'm not sure they are actually better/faster than an NSX on a road course of typical configuration. But, if they were, I'd not be surprised.

On the other hand, my student's brother was selling a car and wanting to buy a sports car. He had his options wide open. My student said he called his brother and told him to get a used NSX. For what its worth.

(BTW, my 1992 has 205 front/225 rear width tires. NONE of the cars I listed have small tires and tires are one of the most important factors in handling.)
YMMV

Meh...Evo's and STi's are glorious econo boxes with goodies "bolted" on to make the hp figures they do. Great anyone can do that - clearly Mitisubishi and Subaru can. Now the NSX is a whoa.......wait.....its coming....."A Naturally aspirated engine". Damn oldschool g's wuz dat? Well it means a manufacturer actually employed engineers to use their noggins and make an engine with good ol' natural hp. Kudo's Honda.

Do I need to bring up the S2000 AP1 engine? Hmmmm. Highest stock rpm rated engine in the world! 9K redline bros. Many many records to its fame but wait I'm getting ahead of myself.

NSX - have you ever looked underneath of the NSX to see the wonderful architecture called the chasis (all aluminum) which made the car's claim to fame and handling everyone talks about?

DAMN THIS CAR IS A 16 year old design kids and its still being compared to modern day econo boxes. Let's compare the EVO (wait I don't think it existed back in 1991)

ENOUGH SAID.

Both cars are killer and have their purposes but please, please don't keep comparing apples to oranges. I'd love an STi but I'd rather own Honda's as they are true drivers cars and therefore designed from scratch to be so. These 2 cars (NSX and S2000) are not cars that share the same drivetrain or chasis with another.

Let Subaru and Mitisubishi develop a single purpose car and we'll then compare.

[sic]
Let Subaru and Mitisubishi develop a single purpose car and we'll then compare.

First, mine has a car seat. Second, with winter tires it goes like Santa at Christmas time. Third, when the Ford GT is packing up to go home because it is raining on track day (along with most everyone else), I'm still running laps-- and it is damn fun.

Why would I want single purpose?:biggrin:

And besides, for a '96 berlina black, it's single purpose is to be washed... :tongue:

DAMN THIS CAR IS A 16 year old design kids and its still being compared to modern day econo boxes. Let's compare the EVO (wait I don't think it existed back in 1991)

Old thread:eek:

You are correct about the EVO not existing in 1991 however, The Evolution I was introduced in 1992. The Evo will continue to evolve and who knows what benchmarks the Evo X will create in the future.

As per the apples to apples comparison, both vehicles have four wheels. I personally don’t care if one vehicle has two doors or four doors. What matters to me is the engineering and performance built into the vehicle.

In my opinion since I own both ('91 NSX & '06 Evo MR), I feel the Evo out handles an AP1 NSX. I love the steering and handling in the Evo (similar to S2000) but if I had to choose between the two, my selection would be the NSX.

I’m sure many NSX brothers will disagree with me but you need to drive an Evo to understand it’s capibilities:wink:

In my opinion since I own both ('91 NSX & '06 Evo MR), I feel the Evo out handles an AP1 NSX. I love the steering and handling in the Evo (similar to S2000) but if I had to choose between the two, my selection would be the NSX.

I’m sure many NSX brothers will disagree with me but you need to drive an Evo to understand it’s capibilities:wink:
Put bigger/wider wheels and tires on your car and get back to us :wink:, let alone upgrading the suspension from your shot shocks and stiffer springs. I'm sure you'll change your mind.

Old thread:eek:

You are correct about the EVO not existing in 1991 however, The Evolution I was introduced in 1992. The Evo will continue to evolve and who knows what benchmarks the Evo X will create in the future.

As per the apples to apples comparison, both vehicles have four wheels. I personally don’t care if one vehicle has two doors or four doors. What matters to me is the engineering and performance built into the vehicle.

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into this but come on - you can't compare two cars just because they have 4 wheels. My point is that the NSX was purely designed to be an NSX.

THE EVO WAS DESIGNED FROM A LANCER PLATFORM. It was designed to be a Lancer first and foremost then Mitsubishi decided to go rally racing and used the Lancer platform to create, yes, a superb handling AWD car called the EVO. But remember people are comparing the NSX (16 year old design) to modern cars such as this one and its a true testament to how great a job Honda did.

Handling - the EVO might better the NSX in autocross as from what I've witnessed here at our autocross events. The NSX will better the EVO on the track though running regular laps in my opinion.

The NSX will better the EVO on the track though running regular laps in my opinion.
Not necesarilly. Especially if you compare stock to stock:

EVO:
235/40-17 (almost) R-compound street tires

NSX:
205/50-15 f -most likely crappy small little tires.
225/50-16 r

IF you put equivalent wheels and tires on the NSX, it would be less of a contest. But hands down the NSX would be more of a pleasure and proper to drive.

stock EVO will handle better than stock base NSX. Honda didnt bring other modifications to US market other than base. I dont have neither EVO nor NSX but i would chose 6 speed NSX all the way.

Ryanmcd2
do you know evo is slow after 100mph? 1993 E36 M3 (eurospec 286hp) starts pulling bad on EVO VIII MR after 100mph and passes leaving it behind further and further. AWD is not enugh fun for me, its dull plus it creates huge drivetrain loss. 6 speed NSX will destroy evo after 100 mph compeletely. If you want good lap times go GTR, class and looks also good lap times - go NSX, serious straightline speed - go Supra. I will never buy EVO or STi, i want to have fun with the car, awd just kills it all

...... I can go around tighter turns much faster in the EVO8 than I can in the NSX.....

Cornering speed is only a part of the entire handling equation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_handling

".......Handling is an esoteric performance area because rapid and violent maneuvers are often only used in unforeseen circumstances...."

Just to stir things up a bit, let's all agree that Elise/Exige's razor sharp kart-like handling put both the NSX and EVO to shame !! ;) :D

nobody seems to be making stupid excuses for the statements saying that the evo handles better in the snow.

now just face the facts and stop making excuses - the evo handles better ALL THE TIME. if you don't believe it, drive one. :tongue:

Back