is it true that an NSX handles better than an EVO9?

Most of my freinds have evo9's. there definately not the best looking car but they do preform realllly well for stock. the AWD system is awsome, the feel of the turbo kicking in is very sexy, and its a real fast car. But handeling wise... how do the NSX and the EVO9 compare in handeling?...:confused:

A lot depends on the situation, each car has it's strong points and both are very capable track cars. Drive both, see which one suits you most. I would have to say, if all your friends have EVO9's why not get something different...

those AWD drive cars are pretty different. They pull and push at the same time... its weird and hard to discribe. We only get push in the NSX. Im not sure if its just my car.. but it dont handle that well.Maybe i have not tuned my JIC magic coil overs or just my tires but it does not handle as wells as my s2k....:biggrin:

Accually my buddy has a e39 m5. and for being a 4000 pound boat it handles prety damn well.

I have definately already made up my mind about getitng an nsx over an evo9for my own reasons. But I just wanted to know what other people think about the comparison. The weight of the two cars are kinda simmilar the nsx is 30**? and the evo is 32**? for a 4 door thats not to shabby. Plus the evo is probably the cheapest car to make ridiculusly fast but one thing is forsure. Mechanically they both are amazing cars in my opinion.:smile:

RON98 said:
those AWD drive cars are pretty different. They pull and push at the same time... its weird and hard to discribe. We only get push in the NSX. Im not sure if its just my car.. but it dont handle that well.Maybe i have not tuned my JIC magic coil overs or just my tires but it does not handle as wells as my s2k....:biggrin:

Really? I was also considering an s2k 04 and up cuz of the slightly bigger motor than 03 and below and different tail lights, bumper's wheels, ect..

maybe it feels that it handles beter because its not as fast as an nsx. my buddy has a 2002 325i, nothing special at all and its bone stock ecept for front and rear struts. that thing is horibly slow but it feels like it handles beter than any car ive been in when he pushes it

At the last track event I went to at beaver run, there was a new EVO, and an old supercharged NSX.
I'm not 100% which is faster because the evo blew its motor and had to be towed a few hundred miles home after the 2nd session.

NSX_BOB said:
Accually my buddy has a e39 m5. and for being a 4000 pound boat it handles prety damn well.

I have definitely already made up my mind about getitng an nsx over an evo9for my own reasons. But I just wanted to know what other people think about the comparison. The weight of the two cars are kinda simmilar the nsx is 30**? and the evo is 32**? for a 4 door thats not to shabby. Plus the evo is probably the cheapest car to make ridiculusly fast but one thing is forsure. Mechanically they both are amazing cars in my opinion.:smile:

Why not have both?:biggrin: While I don't have an Evo, I do have an STi. The NSX and STi are two very different cars and I think you'd find the same to be true with the Evo. Gearing, sound, torque, interior, noise, trunk space, looks, engine, cost, mods, handling... all completely different. Would I trade one for the other? Nope. Each is a great car in its own right and they make a great pair.

However, at low speed, day to day, around town, the STi has much tighter steering and handling. Given 10 years wearing out the bushings, I may not say the same in the future.

They sell as many EVO's in one year as the NSX has been sold in the entire 14 years it was being offered. EVO's and STi's come and go, improving handling performance, etc etc., but one look at the NSX, you don't even have to know its a race car to FEEL it is a race car. The way the NSX looks invokes a raw emotion that all owners closely identify with. If you are this type of owner, then you need the NSX. If you're just looking to go fast and fit in with all your friends, then you can't go wrong w/ an EVO.

Like many have said, both are great cars in their own right, and really boils down to the owner's preference.

whatisreal7 said:
If you're just looking to go fast and fit in with all your friends, then you can't go wrong w/ an EVO.

True. But if that is all you care about, a $5,000 civic hybrid is just as fast as an EVO for $25,000 less...

haha handling seems a little too subjective to really quantify.....

although... correct me if i'm wrong but is it not difficult to induce throttle oversteer in an EVO?
i know you can do it in a Skyline but then again its also rear biased while the EVO is Front biased?

I don't have an EVO9, but I have driven a couple of them. I do have an 2003 EVO8 and a 97 NSX-T. IMO the EVO8 handles better than the EVO9 which was set up to be a little softer. As to the comparison with the NSX, I think the EVO8 handles better. I can go around tighter turns much faster in the EVO8 than I can in the NSX. There is no real understeer in the EVO. Now before I get flamed, I must admit that I drive the EVO much more aggressively than I do the NSX. The reason is if I wreck the EVO I know I can always get another one fairly right. The NSX is totally babied, and I am very protective of her, she is too special to put into jeopardy.

Actually contrary to what other have said, I feel the NSX's handling abilities are even with the EVO with the added advantage that in terms of comfort at high speed cornering (less roll then an EVO) and the NSX won't make you sweat as much as an EVO when you are going fast in a straight line as well. The solid steering is what I feel distinguishes these two cars. The NSX has a solid feel regardless of how fast you go while the Evo will become light and floaty around 110 mph. The Evo is definitely fast and can probably corner as well, (IMO the best bang for your buck money wise) however one must understand that because of its AWD system, it sometimes gives less experienced drivers a false "confidence" in terms of its limits. I know of 2 Evo drivers who were overconfident in the car and their own driving abilities because of it who ended up understeering into guard rails while chasing one another. The NSX on the other hand will take more skill to drive hard at its limits (this is a pro or con depending on what kind of driver you are) but to me thats how people learn about their cars and where the spirit of driving comes from. Just remember that the "handling" of a vehicle comes from the driver as well and should not be solely relied on the car. :smile:

-Rob

MashimaroNSX said:
The NSX has a solid feel regardless of how fast you go while the Evo will become light and floaty around 110 mph. The Evo is definitely fast and can probably corner as well, (IMO the best bang for your buck money wise) however one must understand that because of its AWD system, it sometimes gives less experienced drivers a false "confidence" in terms of its limits.

-Rob

I'd agree that the NSX feels more solid as you go faster. My suspicion is that it is because of the aggresive stock alignment and the lower center of gravity. The stock STI has little or no camber and little or no toe-- not sure about the Evo. I'm interested to see the performance improvements with those two variables dialed in similar to the NSX.

I had a NSX for 5 year and had a evo 8 now have a evo 9 MR and the 9MR will kill the NSX in all aspects. If they blew the motor they are retarded people are making 1200 HP on the 2 liter motor if setup correctly. I also spend $700 for a BC and a TBE and gained 80 more WHP so it makes the same as a supercharged nsx. Also dont forget the 9 Evo has ACD and that will move power to different wheels when it loses grip as well as has a setting for wet, snow, and dry weather that changes the diffs. Also the car does NOT get floaty at 110 I have been upto 165 in mine and it's just as solid as the NSX. Before you say something sucks own both, I have and I was going to get a 2003-04 NSX until I drove it and I got my 2nd evo. The nsx is not that exciting to me anymore. Also I have had both cars at the track several times with 0 problems on either.

Ryanmcd2 said:
I had a NSX for 5 year and had a evo 8 now have a evo 9 MR and the 9MR will kill the NSX in all aspects.

All aspects? What about top speed? :smile: talking about stock vs stock of course, any car can be made to go faster then another. This is coming from someone who used to drive an Evo 8 and own a 600 hp supra and got rid of it for a stock NSX. To each their own, each car will feel different to everyone.

The 6 speed is better but the BOX does go 160-170 and I know the NSX goes 175 but takes about 2 min to get there lol. on a track even road atlanta I never got over 145 in either car so it's pointless.

MashimaroNSX said:
All aspects? What about top speed? :smile:

Ryanmcd2 said:
The 6 speed is better but the BOX does go 160-170 and I know the NSX goes 175 but takes about 2 min to get there lol. on a track even road atlanta I never got over 145 in either car so it's pointless.

True, but then again why would there ever be a need for 1200 hp? :wink: Point being we all like cars for their own reasons, whatever the reason might be the best option is for this poster is to just test drive both cars and see what he likes. :smile:

nsx2tall said:
Why not have both?:biggrin:

Dam I would love to have the EVO as the winter ride! only if they had the EVO here in Canada. :frown:

I agree with Mashimaro NSX. EVO'S, first thing everybody and their grandmom has one. And in terms of it being a fast all-wheel drive car, would not help you after 40mph against even a Supra BPU+++. I had something better than a BPU+++ supra. I had a HKS twin-turbo supra ( big horsepower RWD). I never had any problems with even modded STi's and Evo's. But anyways in terms of handling, EVO's and STI's are rally cars not a true sports car like the NSX. Comparing it to a NSX is wrong because it is two completly different cars.
But really to-each-there-own. Every car has it's own shining area. But to compare only it's handling to a brand new car like the EVO9 to a used 15 year old Nsx that cost as much or more than a new EVO is silly. There is to many dynamics that come into play than can't be compared. I could have kept the Supra but I am not trying to be the fastest person (there is alway's somebody else faster). I like Evo and Sti's dont get me wrong but I love the NSX, it's a car of it's own.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Ryanmcd2 said:
I had a NSX for 5 year and had a evo 8 now have a evo 9 MR and the 9MR will kill the NSX in all aspects. If they blew the motor they are retarded people are making 1200 HP on the 2 liter motor if setup correctly. I also spend $700 for a BC and a TBE and gained 80 more WHP so it makes the same as a supercharged nsx. Also dont forget the 9 Evo has ACD and that will move power to different wheels when it loses grip as well as has a setting for wet, snow, and dry weather that changes the diffs. Also the car does NOT get floaty at 110 I have been upto 165 in mine and it's just as solid as the NSX. Before you say something sucks own both, I have and I was going to get a 2003-04 NSX until I drove it and I got my 2nd evo. The nsx is not that exciting to me anymore. Also I have had both cars at the track several times with 0 problems on either.

The quality of build of a EVO (base off and Lancer platform) basically a beef up Lancer (bigger brakes, stiffer suspenion, turbo four, awd) and that's the way it feels. Good car, pretty quick in stock form but you can not compare to NSX.
Its like trying to compare a Porsche Boxter S to a Porsche 911 Carrera S. (for those who understand that)

Last edited:
Ryanmcd2 said:

I test drove an 06' EVO the other day.....not terribly impressed over all....
1) sticker price was in the mid 37,000's
2) steers way to quick......IMHO
3) just isn't sexy like the NSX
4) 165+ mph???????? speed limited to 155
5) not understanding how a car with the ergos of a shoe box could feel as solid at high speeds as the NSX
6) I think I saw about 15 EVO's and Sti's last week....besides my own I saw 1 NSX in the past 2-3 months

Having said all that I must also say that the EVO is by no means a slouch of a car.....just not in the same class as an NSX(modded or not). I would much rather drive an EVO in rain or snow than my NSX.....but then again I would never drive the NSX in the rain or snow.

This says it all!!!!!!!!!!!! THe EVO look like a pig next to the NSX. Even the G35 looks lower and sleeker. That says it........... THe EVO is a rallycar. If the EVO sits any higher it will look like the Subaru outback. HEHE!!!!

Attachments

• HPIM0308np.jpg
    HPIM0308np.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 292
Back