Ipad 3 Discussion

That article is all speculation and no fact other than the Mha.

You could be right. Perhaps the batteries are bit thicker (along with the case) too to help make up the increase. More will be known with more teardowns and dimensions/weights.

-J

It is pretty obvious.

What I found interesting is some images look worse on it.

Apple is obviously up scaling websites to fit the screen. By doing this the text looks great but some images look worse. If they didn't do this you would have all kinds of space on either side of a website since most are 960 pixels wide.

I think it's going to take some time for websites to catch up to this new higher-rez world. The iPad 3 is just the beginning. You're going to eventually see this technology on laptops and desktops too.

Here's a full-size screenshot of the iPad screen.

http://cl.ly/F2Oq

-J

Last edited:
I think it's going to take some time for websites to catch up to this new higher-rez world. The iPad 3 is just the beginning. You're going to eventually see this technology on laptops and desktops too.

Here's a full-size screenshot of the iPad screen.

http://cl.ly/F2Oq

-J

You are a little off on that one. I have been running at 2560X1600 for years now. The difference is that my screen doesn't upscale my fit my screen, though you can zoom. Then you run into the same problem I see on the iPad.

The new iPad has done nothing to advance this. In fact they have kind of take a step backwards by not displaying content at its native resolution.

I am curious to see what a website designed for 1200px wide looks like on the new iPad. I wonder if it will have scroll bars. I will test this next time I use one.

Last edited:
You are a little off on that one. I have been running at 2560X1600 for years now. The difference is that my screen doesn't upscale my fit my screen, though you can zoom. Then you run into the same problem I see on the iPad.

The new iPad has done nothing to advance this. In fact they have kind of take a step backwards by not displaying content at its native resolution.

I am curious to see what a website designed for 1200px wide looks like on the new iPad. I wonder if it will have scroll bars. I will test this next time I use one.

Yes, but I guess my point is that it's not commonplace and the desktop monitors are a bit pricey and you don't see laptop LCD screens - although some laptops can drive external video at these high pixel counts. Anyway, my point was that these higher res screens will be commonplace and will be the new standard and websites will have to catch up soon. The iPad 3 advances the technology because the screen is relatively small and the pixel density is so high. It won't be long before we see a Retina Display on Apple's MacBooks.

Last edited:

The reason they don't display at native resolution is because it's a poor user experience with super tiny, hard to read text. It's not like it's easier for Apple .. they actually have to do more work because now they have to upscale all the images. Sadly, most websites are STILL designed for 800 or 1024 wide viewing so this isn't a big deal.

Jimbo is absolutely right. Apple isn't the only one moving to higher DPI screens on their tablets. As these become more prevalent, webs designers are going to have to design their sites without the assumption that everything is 72DPI.

You're going to eventually see this technology on laptops and desktops too.

-J

And the dash board in your car, your cellphone, watch, the display on your blender, your kids etch-a-sketch, just about anything you can think of and stuff we don't even know about yet.

Sadly, most websites are STILL designed for 800 or 1024 wide viewing so this isn't a big deal.

We design for this because that is the standard. It took a long time to get to 1000px. I suspected next standard will be 1200 or 1440. We'll see.

Jimbo is absolutely right. Apple isn't the only one moving to higher DPI screens on their tablets. As these become more prevalent, webs designers are going to have to design their sites without the assumption that everything is 72DPI.
When you use images higher than 72 dpi, the size of the file goes way up. I don't expect that to change any time soon.

So I saw my first iPad 3 this afternoon. Interesting.

When I first looked at the screen it was kind of anti-climactic. I'm not sure what I was expecting. I mean the colors were beautiful and everything was crystal clear and sharp. You just can't see the pixels unless you're very close to the screen.

As I went back and forth between an iPad 2 and the 3 the difference was so much more obvious. The best description is what someone else said that it's similar going to the eye doctor and everything is blurry and then he rotates the right lens and everything is tack sharp.

As time went on and I tried the various apps on the 3 - it's like, yeah this is pretty amazing, but this is how it always should have been. The visible pixels before were just an old-fashioned compromise - like using a monochrome screen in the old days. It's like the iPad 3 is how it should have been and the iPad 1/2 is just blah.

If I had an iPad 2 I'm not sure I would upgrade though - but I do use my iPad 1 a lot on the road and the 4G/LTE might be worth it. Since I do have an iPad 1, I will upgrade because there's enough reasons to do so.

I guess the next major iPad thing to happen will be iOS 6.0 - and I expect some really awesome things.

-Jim

So I saw my first iPad 3 this afternoon. Interesting.

When I first looked at the screen it was kind of anti-climactic. I'm not sure what I was expecting. I mean the colors were beautiful and everything was crystal clear and sharp. You just can't see the pixels unless you're very close to the screen.

As I went back and forth between an iPad 2 and the 3 the difference was so much more obvious. The best description is what someone else said that it's similar going to the eye doctor and everything is blurry and then he rotates the right lens and everything is tack sharp.

As time went on and I tried the various apps on the 3 - it's like, yeah this is pretty amazing, but this is how it always should have been. The visible pixels before were just an old-fashioned compromise - like using a monochrome screen in the old days. It's like the iPad 3 is how it should have been and the iPad 1/2 is just blah.

If I had an iPad 2 I'm not sure I would upgrade though - but I do use my iPad 1 a lot on the road and the 4G/LTE might be worth it. Since I do have an iPad 1, I will upgrade because there's enough reasons to do so.

I guess the next major iPad thing to happen will be iOS 6.0 - and I expect some really awesome things.

-Jim

Seems like we agree on the screen. Going back to an iPad 2 after makes the 2 look bad, but now that I am used to the 2 again it looks fine.

What do you expect with ios6?

Seems like we agree on the screen. Going back to an iPad 2 after makes the 2 look bad, but now that I am used to the 2 again it looks fine.

What do you expect with ios6?

I would hope for...

Live icons (that update via program control)

A more unified way to attach/reference files. Particularly since there are many apps that can open a variety of formats. Many times you have to go through a number of silly steps just to open/send/reference/attach a file.

I'm not pushing for an entirely open file/folder system - but there should be one shared local place to store files.

I'd like to see Apple standardize a UI mechanism for precise drawing. There are a lot of drawing apps and they all pretty much suck. You really cant draw with your fingertip particularly when it hides the end of the line. There really needs to be some kind of aid (similar to the magnifier for copy/paste) where you can see in detail where the "cursor" or end of line is when you're drawing. Maybe the point is always in front of your finger? I don't know but something like this needs to be consistent across all drawing apps.

Bluetooth 4.0 now is supported with the new iPad and it should be leveraged to do cool things.

Turn-by-turn Nav - Apple bought some great companies for mapping.

Do for Facebook and LinkedIn what they did for Twitter.

Ability to create/edit groups within contacts on the phone.

-Jim

Last edited:
I would hope for...

Live icons (that update via program control)

A more unified way to attach/reference files. Particularly since there are many apps that can open a variety of formats. Many times you have to go through a number of silly steps just to open/send/reference/attach a file.

I'm not pushing for an entirely open file/folder system - but there should be one shared local place to store files.

I'd like to see Apple standardize a UI mechanism for precise drawing. There are a lot of drawing apps and they all pretty much suck. You really cant draw with your fingertip particularly when it hides the end of the line. There really needs to be some kind of aid (similar to the magnifier for copy/paste) where you can see in detail where the "cursor" or end of line is when you're drawing. Maybe the point is always in front of your finger? I don't know but something like this needs to be consistent across all drawing apps.

Bluetooth 4.0 now is supported with the new iPad and it should be leveraged to do cool things.

Turn-by-turn Nav - Apple bought some great companies for mapping.

Do for Facebook and LinkedIn what they did for Twitter.

Ability to create/edit groups within contacts on the phone.

-Jim

Regarding that drawing with your finger issue, I was thinking about that.

So the problem is the screen sees your finger as a squishy smudge of contact area. It can't tell which way is the "front" of your finger so you can see where to draw. BUT, you can solve that by using two fingers together. Just like on a multitouch trackpad, you can easily draw with two fingers. The two contact points would form a line and perpendicular to that, you would draw a pointer and the tip would be the active drawing point. It will be like you have a stylus coming out of your your two fingertips and give you precise, visible control.

Regarding that drawing with your finger issue, I was thinking about that.

So the problem is the screen sees your finger as a squishy smudge of contact area. It can't tell which way is the "front" of your finger so you can see where to draw. BUT, you can solve that by using two fingers together. Just like on a multitouch trackpad, you can easily draw with two fingers. The two contact points would form a line and perpendicular to that, you would draw a pointer and the tip would be the active drawing point. It will be like you have a stylus coming out of your your two fingertips and give you precise, visible control.

Yep, something like that. Although, I don't see why it would have to know where the front is. Why couldn't it just always put the pointer up and to the left of the squishy-smudge?

I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to do this.

-Jim

id rather just use a stylus when you need that kind of precision. there's some popular handwriting app which i tried and just dont get. writing with your finger is simply far too slow and awkward.

What I want to see on the next iPad?
The ability to run VMWare and the ability to add a flash card.
You could then boot windows, linux, etc and run a desktop on your iPad.

id rather just use a stylus when you need that kind of precision. there's some popular handwriting app which i tried and just dont get. writing with your finger is simply far too slow and awkward.

I think tablet writing will take a huge leap forward when this type of tech becomes mainstream:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vOvQCPLkPt4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What I want to see on the next iPad?
The ability to run VMWare and the ability to add a flash card.
You could then boot windows, linux, etc and run a desktop on your iPad.

Can't see Apple ever doing this, but you can use a VNC app like Splashtop for a similar effect:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qNSXSU4C8d0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When you use images higher than 72 dpi, the size of the file goes way up. I don't expect that to change any time soon.

In this day and age of large embedded flash content, and ever faster and cheaper bandwidth I don't think this argument holds water. Moving to 144DPI won't kill file sizes... in fact, in many cases it's a marginal increase since most images are full of large, low detail areas that compress well.

I can guarantee that once hi DPI screens become prevalent (which they will) designers are going to be forced to include both. Either that, or text needs to be dynamically rendered on top rather than burned into the image, since that's what tends to look the worst (blurry text).

Can't see Apple ever doing this, but you can use a VNC app like Splashtop for a similar effect:

Thanks. Yeah I have Splashtop, but there are a few problems with it.
1. It's not encrypted, so if you use it from starbucks, you can assume everyone is watching everything you're doing.
2. You have to leave your home computer on 24x7
3. You have to have internet access

In this day and age of large embedded flash content, and ever faster and cheaper bandwidth I don't think this argument holds water. Moving to 144DPI won't kill file sizes... in fact, in many cases it's a marginal increase since most images are full of large, low detail areas that compress well.

I can guarantee that once hi DPI screens become prevalent (which they will) designers are going to be forced to include both. Either that, or text needs to be dynamically rendered on top rather than burned into the image, since that's what tends to look the worst (blurry text).

Agreed. The adoption of hi-rez screens and faster bandwidth (LTE, Super WiFi, WiMAX, etc) will pull each other along into the future. 72 dpi - that will soon go the way of dial-up modems.

-J

I can remote into my XP machine at work from my iPad via Citrix. Works surprisingly well.

Yeah that's on my todo list for this summer.
Anyone have Cisco VOIP on their iPad? That's another thing I want to get working. So my work phone will ring on my ipad...

Yeah that's on my todo list for this summer.
Anyone have Cisco VOIP on their iPad? That's another thing I want to get working. So my work phone will ring on my ipad...
That would be fascinating!
I assume it would be some sort of video call though? Anyways to just have voice? I would be very interested in something like this if anyone got it working and wouldn't mind sharing with me roughly how they did it

That would be fascinating!
I assume it would be some sort of video call though? Anyways to just have voice? I would be very interested in something like this if anyone got it working and wouldn't mind sharing with me roughly how they did it

If you don't mind using Google Voice you can use an app like Talkatone to get VOIP. Just have people call your Google Voice # or have your other number forwarded to your Google Voice #.

http://www.talkatone.com/

Back