Ipad 3 Discussion

I cant wait to see the new screen. The rest doesn't really mean much to me, but the screen will rock.

They said on the news last night that it gets really hot.

Also, its dumb you cannot do facetime on 4G. 4G is in many cases faster than wifi.

...Also, its dumb you cannot do facetime on 4G. 4G is in many cases faster than wifi.

Yeah, that's the carriers imposing that restriction, I'll guarantee that.

I read in the press by a few writers that the iPad has no real breakthroughs?!

They obviously don't know how difficult it was to pull off the retina display while keeping the price the same. And they don't know about the battery innovations that had to occur to keep the 10 hr use time.

-J

They obviously don't know how difficult it was to pull off the retina display while keeping the price the same. And they don't know about the battery innovations that had to occur to keep the 10 hr use time.

-J

What amazes me is the screen only costs like $30 more to make.

I heard on CNBC that the battery is 70% larger in the ipad 3. I would bet that the current cellular networks cannot handle the bandwith necessary to allow for facetime on 4g. Facetime is obviously a SOFTWARE issue on the ipad, not a hardware restricion. I am sure down the road a software update will give SIRI and Facetime on the 4g network.

As for investments, Qualcomm makes the 4g chipsets...do you own research.

-J

Last edited:
Last edited:
Who are you going to believe -- some fanboyish speculation article, or one from guys who actually got the new iPad and ripped it apart to see what's inside?

We're talking about King FanBoi here, who do you think he's going to choose to believe? Although it sounds like SteveNY is starting to become a FanBoi himself!!! Replacing windows laptops with Macs, ordering new stuff as soon as it's released.

Who are you going to believe -- some fanboyish speculation article, or one from guys who actually got the new iPad and ripped it apart to see what's inside?

Personally, I don't care how they did it, I think it is impressive to get 10 hours out of it and 9 on 4g is pretty impressive.

Well, I just read those links and I would agree, it's just a really large battery. They should put the in an iPad 2 cause it would last 20hours!

Last edited:
We're talking about King FanBoi here, who do you think he's going to choose to believe? Although it sounds like SteveNY is starting to become a FanBoi himself!!! Replacing windows laptops with Macs, ordering new stuff as soon as it's released.

I always thought apple was for weirdo's too. LOL!!! I have used my desk top only a few time since I bought the iPad2. I don't think I will ever go back to PC.

The flash thing kinda annoys me but that is the only thing I have issue with. Eventually all the crap that is wrong with the PC will find it's way into apple right around the same time apple and others find a way to profit from polluting the Internet again.

Typing this on an ipad3 at the apple store. I have to admit, I am a little disappointed. I guess I had huge expectations for the screen. It's better but not mind blowing at all. It's a no brainier to buy it over an ipad2, but I can't see a huge reason to upgrade over an ipad2 unless you really want 4g.

It's still the best screen I have seen on a tablet, I guess I just fell for the hype a little too much.

is there really that much of a visible difference from regular viewing differences? i would have assumed that since the screen is so small that the resolution diff woudlnt be over the top obvious.

Back on the ipad2, arg, this screen sux now. :biggrin:

is there really that much of a visible difference from regular viewing differences? i would have assumed that since the screen is so small that the resolution diff woudlnt be over the top obvious.
I think it'll be the same as comparing my wife's iPhone 3gs to my iPhone 4. It's an enormous improvement.

IMO, one big difference is that when you are using the browser, things you would have had to zoom in to read clearly are now readable without zooming. The result is more streamlined reading of web pages.

Also, if you are looking at photos, there is no sense of pixels. It is more like a continuous tone image like a dye sublimation printer or a photographic print.

The downside is that low resolution pictures on the web look a bit more crappy because you can see they are low resolution now. Previously, the resolution limit of the display fuzzed out the pixels.

Last edited:
I got my Verizon LTE enabled 32 gig on Friday. It's my first iPad, and I love it. I've used them a good amount, but was holding out for the inevitable retina display.

Some notes:
Display really is incredible
LTE is crazy fast
Kind of heavy

I've heard over multiple accounts that once you see the retina iPad in person, going back to a 1 or 2 is very difficult.

I am a huge Apple user. Grew up building PCs, understand them very well, but would never go back to a Windows PC. It's one of those things where (much like the NSX), you have to spend time with it to really understand how good it is. For example, in OSX, to uninstall a program, you put the program's icon into the trash can. What about Windows?

Last edited:
For example, in OSX, to uninstall a program, you put the program's icon into the trash can. What about Windows?

Run the uninstall. It's not that hard.

Also, there are many Mac programs that do not uninstall that simply. And even the ones that do often leave lots of detritus behind.

It is pretty obvious.

What I found interesting is some images look worse on it.

Apple is obviously up scaling websites to fit the screen. By doing this the text looks great but some images look worse. If they didn't do this you would have all kinds of space on either side of a website since most are 960 pixels wide.

IMO, one big difference is that when you are using the browser, things you would have had to zoom in to read clearly are now readable without zooming. The result is more streamlined reading of web pages.

I don't 100% agree with you there. You can read the text because it is much sharper, but it is still very small. My guess is most people will still zoom.

Back