intercooled 2.3 L supercharger/Comptech donor manifold

Here are some shots of the motor in the car:

You can see in the foreground of the first shot the Accusump valve. It feeds a 3 qt. in the right fender!

Dave,

thats amazing that you were able to make a coolant resevoir with a gatorade bottle.:biggrin: I was just thinking about something like that since it just usually shoots down the back of the firewall.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dave,

thats amazing that you were able to make a coolant resevoir with a gatorade bottle.:biggrin: I was just thinking about something like that since it just usually shoots down the back of the firewall.

That was a quick fix at a Shelby club event @ T-hill, they would not let me on the track with out a catch. It worked so well and was so clean it just stayed on there! Feel free to copy it, remember to leave a breather hole as well as the hole for the hose. Other wise I would blow the top off any time I would burp some coolant...:rolleyes:

Dyno chart...

Thanks to Bobby Wintrode at PRE(PREracing.com) in Portland for the tune work. He really went above and beyond on this one, helped me track down a heat soak miss that turned out to be the Ignition Control Module, even held the cars hand to get it threw DEQ!

Thanks to Shad at Driving Ambition for helpful suggestions, initial tuning and reminding me I think too much...

Thanks to Jon Martin with guidance on the motor build, suggestion for Arias pistons/wrist pins and general connections to put this all together and reminding me to leave it for another day when too tired...plus the best damn JRZ coil overs I could ever dream of!

Thanks to Bisimoto for help with cam design, they know what they are talking about!

Nate at CT engineering and Morgan at Acura of Portland for the their help pulling parts together, you guys are great!

I am sure I have miss others, so I apologize for that ahead of time, bottom line is the NSX community really pulls together to make these kind of things happen. I am proud to be a part of this great community!

Attachments

• NSX Dave's supercharger dyno pull chart.jpg
    NSX Dave's supercharger dyno pull chart.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Current engine compartment shots

Attachments

• NSX Dave's supercharger build 04-22-2009 015.jpg
    NSX Dave's supercharger build 04-22-2009 015.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 99
  • NSX Dave's supercharger build 04-22-2009 018.jpg
    NSX Dave's supercharger build 04-22-2009 018.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 106
Intercooler tank and pump bracket.

I like how this all worked out, rubber mounted bracket for the pump keeps thing nice and quiet. The angle help the pump prime and makes it easy to access the electrical plug. The plug is the same as a GM electric fuel pump, FYI.

Attachments

• NSX Dave's supercharger intercooler tank w pump side.jpg
    NSX Dave's supercharger intercooler tank w pump side.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 97
  • NSX Dave's supercharger intercooler tank w pump side-top.jpg
    NSX Dave's supercharger intercooler tank w pump side-top.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 76
  • NSX Dave's supercharger intercooler tank, back side w pump.jpg
    NSX Dave's supercharger intercooler tank, back side w pump.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 86
Well done Dave...Congratulations...!

Here is the front heat exchanger. 6x20x1 1/4" core.

IAT are a bit fluky. I saw temps as high as 180 F on repeated pulls, but they drop in less than a second to under 120 F when I come off throttle. The manifold stays cool to the touch so I think I must have a hose pinched that is restricting flow through the IC core in the manifold. That second delay is coolant flow catching up with the heat load.

Attachments

• Front heat exchanger.JPG
    Front heat exchanger.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Front heat exchanger, bracket.JPG
    Front heat exchanger, bracket.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 70
Dyno chart...

Nice numbers, great torque curve... looks like great fun!

You are such a great contributor and inspiration to the NSX community!

--bruce

This is very cool Dave, it looks like the LHT intercooler I have on my ITR / CRX just for the NSX..... very cool!!

http://www.lhtperformance.net/Superchargers/Parts/upgrades.html

Your IATs seem a little higher than mine but I wonder if that has to do with the cramped emgine compartment of of the NSX. As opposed to the CRX engine ebing up front.

My IATs before the intercooler were spiking a tad over 200 and since the installation she never gets above 130 and that's during road course driving, constantly on the loud pedal.

This setup is beuatiful though. Will you ever be producing these?

This is very cool Dave, it looks like the LHT intercooler I have on my ITR / CRX just for the NSX..... very cool!!

http://www.lhtperformance.net/Superchargers/Parts/upgrades.html

Your IATs seem a little higher than mine but I wonder if that has to do with the cramped emgine compartment of of the NSX. As opposed to the CRX engine ebing up front.

My IATs before the intercooler were spiking a tad over 200 and since the installation she never gets above 130 and that's during road course driving, constantly on the loud pedal.

This setup is beuatiful though. Will you ever be producing these?

The LHT looks like a great part! Peak IAT were over 240 before the intercooler, so I know I have made progress. I think the V6 will always make more heat than your inline 4. I did make some compromises in putting mine together, low over all height was one design constraint, and low boost drop so I chose a relatively thin core.

I am happy to make copies on a custom basis, don't see a market for production runs of these. Next FI project is a custom intake for a turbo package I am helping a buddy put together. Custom log style plenum welded onto a stock set up runners, I think there is some HP there with high boost set up and a big turbo.

Back