intercooled 2.3 L supercharger/Comptech donor manifold

Oh yah, that intake thing, I need one of those...that should be no big deal. Only needs to connect 2 points in space within about 2 mm, index flat on one end within .001", about 1 degree of rotation and thread it's way around fuel lines, vacuum hoses, 2 wire harnesses and have a throttle cable hook up and pull correctly. And I can't forget the by-pass tube...

20 hours later...

Attachments

• intake half rough welds.jpg
    intake half rough welds.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 153
  • finished intake inside.jpg
    finished intake inside.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 133
  • machine the intake face.jpg
    machine the intake face.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 167
  • finished intake outside.jpg
    finished intake outside.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 176
  • finished intake 2.jpg
    finished intake 2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 166
...Then, mount it on the motor, on the blower...

into the car tomorrow!!!!

Plus I made one of these(last pic)

Attachments

• blower on top of motor.jpg
    blower on top of motor.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 309
  • intake on blower installed.jpg
    intake on blower installed.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 318
  • intake on blower on motor.jpg
    intake on blower on motor.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN5971.jpg
    DSCN5971.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 261
Wow.

I will now officially never again feel the slightest pang of guilt or regret concerning any project I attempt, safe in the knowledge that I am a rank amateur on the scale of wicked excess.

Good work!

It has been a long weekend, 11:20 PM Sunday night the motor started, idles like a little sewing machine! Now I just need to be patient and break it in, should have some initial HP numbers in a few weeks.

I am using DuMonde Tech oil, they make a special break-in oil which pre-coats and plasticizes the internals during the break-in period, but still lets part work harden into their final dimensions and tolerances. I am going through a long heat cycling process to, starting with 30 sec run, cool down, 1 minute run, cool down, etc... This is supposed to make the rings last longer and seal better over the long haul, prevents initial heat shocking which can make hard spots in the rings.

After the initial 10 starts, I will change out the oil filter which should have caught most of the assembly lube by then. I will continue to run the break in oil for about 800 miles, slowly building load up to 60% throttle. Then, change to DuMonde Tech racing oil and get it dyno'ed and some WOT tuning.

Stay tuned...

Great work and good luck with the numbers. Ever think of adding another intercooler in front of the throttle body? Nothing beats low IATs for more HP and safer boosting.

Armando

Great work and good luck with the numbers. Ever think of adding another intercooler in front of the throttle body? Nothing beats low IATs for more HP and safer boosting.

Armando

Like some kind of "ice box"? Air is at ambient before it is compressed by the blower, so it would require some sort of refrigeration to get temps below ambient. My goal is to have a stand alone setup, where I don't need to add anything and it will run all day long on the track so I don't really want to put another system on the car. I am building the IC water tank with the capacity to add ice, or maybe dry ice blocks on the outside...

Nice work. Looks like a very well thought out system. The intercooler is brilliant. I'd be very interested to see your HP increases as well.

Nice work. Looks like a very well thought out system. The intercooler is brilliant. I'd be very interested to see your HP increases as well.
Thanks Jeff. Did you get your brakes to work???

PS I want your rear valance...:wink:

I use STP oil treatment instead of assembly lube.
I put in a standard 5w30 oil and start it up let it idle to operating temp. shut down... cool down, start up..idle...

then i break it in for 20miles to seat the rings, dump the oil, put in a nice 5w30(mobil/vavoline) and run for around 100-200 miles at around 75% throttle.

Motorcycles use this method to break in the rings to their "driving style" you might say:wink:

Ps- VIDEO!:biggrin:

Initial break in is done. Changed to real oil and am starting to put some load on the motor. Feels pretty strong so far, I have not run it over 6K yet though.

I ended up building some big flanges on the side of my blower pulley to keep the belt on at start up. The belt always jumps a bit till the vacuum pulls open the bypass valve at start up, the flanges seem to be over kill, but they are working. Blower builds to 8 LB at 6K, might be getting a little slippage on the belt but it's too early to tell. I am going to get some miles on the motor this week, drive to Seattle and get some track time to do suspension tuning and get some laps in to see how everything feels.

I have dyno time scheduled next week to do some pulls for a baseline and play with the tune. I will have the EGT hooked up by then to get an idea of what is going on inside the cylinders and across the banks.

Yahoo, I passed SMOG this AM!!!!:biggrin:

I have no idea how it got through, but I am street legal and driving!

Will post more next week...

I have no idea how it got through, but I am street legal and driving!

Will post more next week...

Did they give you a printout of the gas measurements. I would love to see how mine compares.

Dave

Did they give you a printout of the gas measurements. I would love to see how mine compares.

Dave

HC(PPM) = 201 (220 max)

CO(%) = 0.5481 (1 max)

Dilution(%) = 13.9 (6 min)

Passed on the first try, after idling in line for 20 minutes! That is good for 20 PPM on the HC alone!

I have no idea how it got through.........

Yah RIGHT.............How much was the techs TIP :wink:

Did the first dyno power tuning yesterday. Car makes 390 RWHP at about 8 lb of boost with a nice flat A/F between 12.5 and 13. This is with out the intercooler plumbed so just regular hot intake temps, 85 degrees F for ambient.

I am very happy and shocked how hard it pulls right now, can't wait to get some more miles on it, finish the intercooler lines and tank. My guess is 430 RWHP before it's all done, on pump gas with this 5" pulley!

More to come...

Did the first dyno power tuning yesterday. Car makes 390 RWHP at about 8 lb of boost with a nice flat A/F between 12.5 and 13. This is with out the intercooler plumbed so just regular hot intake temps, 85 degrees F for ambient.

I am very happy and shocked how hard it pulls right now, can't wait to get some more miles on it, finish the intercooler lines and tank. My guess is 430 RWHP before it's all done, on pump gas with this 5" pulley!

More to come...

I'd run it a little richer in the higher load areas of your map. Between the non intercooled IAT's and those A/F ratios, I'd be a little careful. What is your compression ratio?

I'd run it a little richer in the higher load areas of your map. Between the non intercooled IAT's and those A/F ratios, I'd be a little careful. What is your compression ratio?

9.5 to 1, Arias forged pistons. Should have the intercooler done before the first track day!

Here are some shot of the motor installed, first on the engine dolly:

Then installed in my beater Pick Up truck, this is my favorite shot! Beverly Hillbilly's, all the way:biggrin:

I will get an in car shot up this weekend!

Attachments

• DSCN5990.jpg
    DSCN5990.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCN5991.jpg
    DSCN5991.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 135
  • nsx motor in PU truck.jpg
    nsx motor in PU truck.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 157

I was wrong, those numbers are off the dyno chart. The engine log has me at 11.7-12 all the way to 8500 RPM!

Back