I regret selling the NSX, big time! now what?

Ok guys, I sold my 2002 NSX back in December 17th. I thought I could handle a year of "no toy" so that I could give our baby girl time to grow up a bit before I started playing again. Anyways, I went to the auto show last night, and it hit me. I need a toy!!!!!

so here is the question. I am flirting with another NSX, but this would be my third NSX if I bought another.

Other cars I am thinking of are the Lotus Elise as that looked like one the the most bad ass cars at the auto show for the money, and also the Dodge Viper SRT10.

So what are your thoughts given the choices out there today? NSX is awesome and all, but not sure what to do next. maybe time for a change?

Since you've had 2 others already, it may be time for something else. After all, something made you get rid of the 2nd one a few weeks ago...and who's to say that that same thing that bugged you won't come back up again. Personally, I'd give the Viper a try rather than get a 3rd one. Good luck with your decision.

You could always go for a new Z06..It really is a pretty wonderful car as a friend of mine just acquired one..very fast but easy to drive and docile when not being pushed..and as far as I am concerned its much more exotic than the Viper what with the Vettes carbon fiber construction, dry sumped all-alloy racing V-8 and discreet aerodynamic aids.

I suggest looking at the m3 or m5 its fast, luxurious and can hold 4 people. :smile:

Second choice would be porsche......but I still love my nsx. This is if you absolutely don't want another nsx. :tongue:

Last edited:
I'd stay away from the Elise in your case... It is a toy to the fullest degree... a car made for autocrossing/ the track. That would take away more time from your baby. What is your price range? If you are talking 02 NSX, then maybe the Z06 would be a cool idea. A 911 turbo might be fun too, and it can probably squeeze a baby seat!

On a tangent, have you looked at the Range Rover Sport? Or the Cayanne TT?

Rob

I almost managed a year without the NSX in a S2000. It might just provide the short term thrills you need. Another alternative would be a Miata.

When the original Elise first came out I wanted one badly. Now after spending some time riding in my friend’s current version, it's definitely not the car for me. It would make a great track car, but on the street it's not that comfortable, has a lot of rattles, and some build issues. I do find it entertaining when he tells me of his dealings with the service department. The most used line is “They all do that sir.”:rolleyes:

Otto

What's important to you in a car? Are you into the prestige of owning an exotic? Are you into pure speed? First define what's important to you.

I've heard loads of bad things about Viper ownership. They are so cool looking that I'd be tempted anyway.

I agree that a C6 Z06 or even just a regular C6 would be a fun car. Lots of toys compared to the NSX and a fair bit faster.

Tell us more about what's important to you...

How about a Noble. Very fast, exotic, fun on the road and track. Downside is no trunk but there is room behind the seats to pack some soft bags. I think that you would be disappointed in the M3 after owning the NSX, got both and the M3 is a compromise, very nice but still a compromise.

ZO6 is interesting. How about another NSX with FI, now THAT is FUN.

Tim

If I was dragged kicking and screaming in to practicality, I think I would check out an M5. Maybe one of those for a while?

Go Noble, like he said ^^^^
:biggrin:
The Noble is scary fast.

E46 M3 sounds like a decent compromise b/c u can put the kids in the backseat .. or actually Cayman S looks quite good. I haven't seen one in person myself, but the pictures look quite good.

Cayman S is for those who can't afford a 911. *expecting angry comments* ;)

996 Turbo (used? The new 997 Turbo is coming soon, but these cars does cost a lot... A 2001 996 turbo costs a lot less than what it did in 2001 thou' :D) It has extreme power, is safe to drive (not nervous when the road is slippery), it's a 911 so you can drive it any weather without problems, reliable as a NSX, it's also IMO a really nice GT car to cruise around in, with two kid-seats in the back :biggrin: and you can take it to take track - kick ass - and drive it back home. It has 420 angry hp but with little mod's it gets 500 hp. 0-60 mph time is 4 seconds. And so on...

That's probarly a really good upgrade from the NSX...

I've tried one once, it's a masterpiece.

supra2nv said:
Ok guys, I sold my 2002 NSX back in December 17th. I thought I could handle a year of "no toy" so that I could give our baby girl time to grow up a bit before I started playing again. Anyways, I went to the auto show last night, and it hit me. I need a toy!!!!!

so here is the question. I am flirting with another NSX, but this would be my third NSX if I bought another.

Other cars I am thinking of are the Lotus Elise as that looked like one the the most bad ass cars at the auto show for the money, and also the Dodge Viper SRT10.

So what are your thoughts given the choices out there today? NSX is awesome and all, but not sure what to do next. maybe time for a change?
The Lotus is an amazing car that we in the United States might not be able to enjoy much longer given changes to safety, environmental, etc. standards. I just don't see manufacturers offering sub 2,000 lb. cars in the future. But... it really is a toy. I commuted every day in an S2000 for a couple of years w/o complaint but I would not be happy driving an Elise as a daily driver. Ingress/egress (esp. with the top off) is an unmitigated bitch. And it's just way, way, way small but it handles and drives like a dream.

The Viper is the opposite side of the spectrum. Granted, I haven't driven a current generation Viper but a neighbor had a 1996 (?) (the year the original viper lost its side pipes) and 1998 (?) GTS coupe. Both were unbelievable in a straight line. But they crashed and banged over the smallest road imperfections. They drove like trucks (really heavy clutch and shift throws a mile long) and they got warm inside. Don't get me wrong, I respect the hell out of the car but it's one of those few cars that literally scared the hell out of me.

I think the Cayman S is a good choice. Balance, precision, and usable power. Yes... there are plenty of cars out there that will be quicker, faster, post higher g's in a corner (but can't the same be said of the NSX) but few will be as polished and balanced overall. And I was one of those folks that thought Porsche lost its mind when they introduced this car because I thought the pic's were FUGLY. In real life, I think the car (esp. in Arctic Silver) just exudes sex appeal.

Obviously lots of other cars out there but in the overall picture you will have a hard time duplicating the complete NSX package....I've been in your
position 4 times and the only cure was another new NSX (my 5th).

I think it is time for a change. There has to be a reason you keep selling the NSX's.

I vote for the C6 Z06. I plan on getting one in a few years.

It's easy Jack. Stay with the NSX. You know how good it is and you would freek if you saw one while driving something else. What you need to do is go for a completely different color. Give up on the silvers and go with something totally different. You will love it.

Speaking from experience

My choices:

1) 911 GT3
2) Corvette Z06
3) Late '60's or early '70's classic American muscle car (Chevelle, GTO, 442, Corvette, 'Cuda, etc.). Going up in value every day.

Back