I regret selling the NSX, big time! now what?

You need another NSX Stat!!!

I really liked your old one...But you might consider an older one that is a hardtop and low cost (relatively) then you can drive it everyday and not worry about the miles and still get that NSX on rails feel!!

Jack,

I understand your feelings on the NSX and guess what!! I'm heading up north to take a gander at one!!!

Did you see the NSX at the Auto show????

Cheers

Patrick.

Instead of buying newer NSX's, buy an older NSX and drop in the 3.8L NA motor! Now that would be a fun toy!

I think its time for a change since you have already sold your nsx twice...I think I would recommend a porsche or a new z06!!!!:smile:

Jack, It was sad to hear that you sold your baby especially after the Taitec install. I was looking foward to hearing it!

I'd be shopping for my 3rd NSX if I were you. Yes, there are a few other options out there, as you mentioned some nice ones, but it still doesn't have that "NSX mystic" factor.

The pros:
-It's made by Honda
-build quality
-exoticness
-limited in numbers, not a run of the mill car
-reliability
-all alum. construction

I'm sure there's a few more that I can't think of right now. Maybe it's time to move away from a silver color and go for maybe...Black? ;)

SRT-10???

8 mpg is tough! (if you get that much!)

I would be tempted to go with a used Ligenfelter Corvette - awesome power that will blow away any new Z06 and Vipers as well.
Look at Boyd Coddington's site and you'll see one there VERY reasonable.

Zap

Jack, I was in your position many times in the past few years. I went back to the NSX 3 times. I am also a previous Viper SRT-10 owner. I bought one in June 05 and sold it in Sept 05. That is about how long I could take the beating. I like to buy cars I can drive alot, almost daily drivers. The performance is INCREDIBLE and they have many improvements to refine the previous gens, but it is still pretty raw. They take really well to mods and 800-1000hp is attainable pretty easy. I also considered the Elise, but want to check out the Exige when it hits before I step out and buy the Elise.

If you feel you wanna stick with the NSX let me know. My wife and I are expecting kido #2 and the NSX is probably needing to go in the next month or so.:frown: You could try Longbeach Blue style. It is very striking.

|Adeel said:
it's a 911 so you can drive it any weather without problems, reliable as a NSX,

Does your statement apply to 996? I've been thinking about picking up a regular 996 (1999 - 2000), but heard they have some kind of engine seals issue that required replacement of the entire engine :confused:

Any opinion on the 6 speed and the tiptronic trans?

P'madness...

nis350 said:
Does your statement apply to 996? I've been thinking about picking up a regular 996 (1999 - 2000), but heard they have some kind of engine seals issue that required replacement of the entire engine :confused:

Any opinion on the 6 speed and the tiptronic trans?

986 & 987 engines from Porsche Boxster have RMS (Rear Main Seal) issues, at times warranting complete engine swap. This also holds true for the 996.

Carrera's and Boxster's with the RMS leak (or Intermediate Shaft leak) drip oil from where the engine bolts to the transmission. Right in the center where they meet.

Is it a few isolated cases? No.
Is it random? Likely so.
Does it eventually happen to all? No.
Once repaired, will it occur again? Yes.
Replaced engine, no more worries? No.

I'm not a Porsche owner, but I did look into the Boxster a few years ago. I can relate to your dilemma as well, I'm quite fascinated by the 996's due to their price, performance, aesthetics... :frown:

MegaZap said:
The new Cayman S looks interesting and will have some mystique about it for a while - at least until people recognize it for what it is.

Zap

I would say get a 97 NSX before a hardtop boxster.. i mean.. cayman S. The performance of the Cayman S is nearly the same as the NSX but looks no where near as cool or exotic as the NSX.

If you go Porsche, go 911 Turbo. I drove an 02 and it was freaking amazing. I would have bought it if I had 72K to spend.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Just to clarify some things. THe only reason I sold the NSX was because of time, not money, nor to buy something more practical. Idea was to sell now, maybe rebuy in a year when the little girl is older and I have more time to use the car. It is obvious to me that I cannot handle being without a sports car. So, now the search is on, but not aggressively. I am flirting with another NSX as I truly love the car. It will likely be silver again (my favorite color) unless I find white. I am not a white person, but in the NSX it is very elegant, plus rare. In any case, if I aim to get a white one, then my search would take longer and would satisfy my original idea of waiting to get another one...

Viper is out of the question now. I searched the forums and those guys have too much testosterone for my taste.

Z06 is out of the question since my wife cannot stand the image of the typical corvette driver (yes i know it is not typical, but to her its the same). also, it suffers from "dime a dozen syndrome."

Porsche 911 is out of the question only due to "dime a dozen" syndrome."

Cayman, ehh...I saw it at the auto show on Thursday, did not do ANYTHING for me.

M3, also too common.

Elise is still a posibility. They are inexpensive, they are fun, exotic, rare, and I wouldnt feel guilty letting that sit in the garage all the time since it would tie up less cash in the first place.

Re: P'madness...

Osiris_x11 said:
986 & 987 engines from Porsche Boxster have RMS (Rear Main Seal) issues, at times warranting complete engine swap. This also holds true for the 996.

Carrera's and Boxster's with the RMS leak (or Intermediate Shaft leak) drip oil from where the engine bolts to the transmission. Right in the center where they meet.

Is it a few isolated cases? No.
Is it random? Likely so.
Does it eventually happen to all? No.
Once repaired, will it occur again? Yes.
Replaced engine, no more worries? No.

I'm not a Porsche owner, but I did look into the Boxster a few years ago. I can relate to your dilemma as well, I'm quite fascinated by the 996's due to their price, performance, aesthetics... :frown:

I hear you. It's ashame that it has this potential major engine problem. It can be financial disaster. :frown:

Is this a mileage related issues? I guess there is no way to tell even with pre-purchase inspection.

The M3's also have bearing problems that requires engine replacement. :mad:

No too many reliable toys out there!!

supra2nv said:
<snip> I thought I could handle a year of "no toy" so that I could give our baby girl time to grow up a bit before I started playing again. <snip>
a friend of mine went through this same issue with a pair of robinson helicopters (1 for the farmhouse in the uk, 1 @ the villa in france). his wife said, "they're too dangerous", so he got his jet rating, then dumped the r44's and bought a jet. much too limited in weekly flying desires, so after a coupla years of the jet, dumped it and bought another helicopter.

good luck with whatever you do.
hal

supra2nv said:
I appreciate everyone's comments. Just to clarify some things. THe only reason I sold the NSX was because of time, not money, nor to buy something more practical. Idea was to sell now, maybe rebuy in a year when the little girl is older and I have more time to use the car. It is obvious to me that I cannot handle being without a sports car. So, now the search is on, but not aggressively. I am flirting with another NSX as I truly love the car. It will likely be silver again (my favorite color) unless I find white. I am not a white person, but in the NSX it is very elegant, plus rare. In any case, if I aim to get a white one, then my search would take longer and would satisfy my original idea of waiting to get another one...

Viper is out of the question now. I searched the forums and those guys have too much testosterone for my taste.

Z06 is out of the question since my wife cannot stand the image of the typical corvette driver (yes i know it is not typical, but to her its the same). also, it suffers from "dime a dozen syndrome."

Porsche 911 is out of the question only due to "dime a dozen" syndrome."

Cayman, ehh...I saw it at the auto show on Thursday, did not do ANYTHING for me.

M3, also too common.

Elise is still a posibility. They are inexpensive, they are fun, exotic, rare, and I wouldnt feel guilty letting that sit in the garage all the time since it would tie up less cash in the first place.

I believe there is an '05 white w/1K miles in Illinois on Autotrader $79K today...1/07/06

http://wwwheels.com/cfapps/car.cfm?ID=2116093&cfreferrer=

I dropped by my local Lotus dealer (in my NSX) a few months ago. The salesman that approached me spoke much less about the Elise that I was looking at and more about how horrible the NSX is in his opinion. Needless to say I didn't stick around him for very long. For some reason I don't think he has the proper approach to selling cars. I guess I wont be buying any cars from them in the future!

Anyway I agree with the others that state that the Elise is not really in the same "class" of automobiles as the NSX. Sure they are both "Exotic" but I think the Elise is much more of a "toy" or track car. The interior is very minimalistic. If I was going to get a toy to use on the track I would get the Ariel Atom hands down (minimalist to the extreme!). Now that seems like a fun toy!

But seriously if you are wanting a change from the NSXs that you have owned and sold I would think a Z06 would be a reasonable alternative. If you aren't a domestic car type then maybe you could hold on until the new GT-R arrives in the states. Although the styling is a bit strange it is sure to be a bang up performer.

Jack, I don't know what to say...can't believe you'd make the same mistake twice! :eek:

Well, you know what I'll say. Go NSX. If I had been in the country when you sold yours, I would have tried to stop you!

I'd love to have an Elise too.

I love my NSX but I am thinking about the bentley continental GT , having 2 rear seats appeals to me and after driving one as a loaner car I liked it much more than before.

NSXCELERATE said:
I love my NSX but I am thinking about the bentley continental GT , having 2 rear seats appeals to me and after driving one as a loaner car I liked it much more than before.

Who loans out Bentleys?:confused: :smile:..and where can I find them??

supra2nv said:
Other cars I am thinking of are the Lotus Elise as that looked like one the the most bad ass cars at the auto show for the money, and also the Dodge Viper SRT10.

I briefly considered a viper, and I thought long and hard about getting a lotus.

The viper has crap gas mileage, takes a ton of oil, has monster(expensive) tires, etc. IMO, not extremely practice.

The lotus is in concept, an awesome car. But if you read the lotus forums, they are having lots of problems. Things like the doors not unlocking, the car not starting, bolts popping through the bodywork, etc.

Hey Jack,

The Lotus is actually a pretty nice car, there is a guy down in Torrance who did a K20 engine swap. Basically the RSX type-r motor and I heard it will run circles on any car on the short track.

Well if the Z06, Viper, Porsche, M3 is out of the question then come back and get the nsx and do the 3.8L motor or a supercharger. Then you should be good to go. :biggrin:

Jack, we will give you just one more chance in the club. If you buy another and sell it, we will ban you forever. I will let you drive mine if you need a little pick me up in the mean time. :biggrin:

Back