I HATE MY JOB!!! Any suggestions?

I'm working the phones right now @ this call center in Huntington Beach, CA, but I can't stand it. (Location - GREAT; the job itself - SUCKS) I've always worked customer service or tech support, but now I'm supposed to be convincing the American public to pay me instead of their rent or lights or whatever....AND I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!

I'm from TN originally & have been in Cali since Sept. of last year. I started here in Oct, been hoping for something to happen here, but to no avail. So I really don't know that many people out here. Actually, the most people I have met out here have been through this site, which is why I came to you guys first. I've thought about this alot and, as much as I hate to ask, I'd love it if someone knows of any openings.

I've got my Bachelor's degree from the Univ. of Memphis, TN in Journalism & Public Relations & I'll gladly post my resume, if someone has some webspace available. I am a quick learner, detail-oriented, very computer literate, & of course, a car enthusiast. If anyone knows of anything in the area, don't hestitate to pm, email ( [email protected] ), or call me @ 714-305-4915.

Thanks for all your help ( or at least just staying around for the whole rant ).

Adam Crowell

Hey Adam... sorry that you're in the situation you're in. :( *comfort* *sympathy*

First up, you sound disheartened and upset... so take your NSX for a drive immediately to fix that. Or if you don't own an NSX (yet) then daydream about it... even that works. :D

Second, if you're into IT and you could check out if HP/IBM/Compaq or any other big IT firm have a headquarters in your area and start applying ... if they're anything like in Australia, you should get into a position fairly easy and you can move around. Once you have them on your resume, it makes it easier to get other IT positions.

Thirdly, before you quit, start looking around and applying for other jobs -- it is a lot easier to get work when you are already working.

And finally, no problems with the ranting... i'm sure all of us here sympathize. And if you're not "ranting" about your job, we'll only be ranting about something else... like what's the best wax or why 18" rims makes your car faster. ;)

-neo

ps. noticing your interests (computer literate & a car enthusiast) have you considered posting on NSXprime full time??? :D

I don't want to get your hopes up, nothing immediate, but can you email me your resume? I'm just curious to see what type of experience you have.

Thanks.

Adam:

I am about 90 days or so from needing someone like you. Position would be in St, Louis though.

Neo, is the IT situation any good in Australia right now? Here in Europe big companies (both EU and US ones) hired too many people in the 1999/2000 IT hysteria. Now they are firing a lot of them... finding a job in the field is VERY difficult. I have a couple friends with Ms in Electrical or CompScience engineering (years of programming and/or project managing experience) that do not find ANY job in the filed.

Kind of frightening...

Thanks for the replies, guys. And I *truly* appreciate the sympathy and the thoughtful job suggestions.

Litesokneecough-
Thanks, I'll look into that. (I'm @ work now, so I should probably keep the job shopping to a minimum, but later for sure.)

Neo-
Good suggestions on the IT depts.(& on the NSX), I'll see what's in the area & what I can do. Also, I have no intention of quitting w/o finding another job, I've been down that road before & w/ the current state of unemployment in the country reaching close to 6%, I'd like to have something locked in before I go anywhere.

KGP-
Thanks for the thought. A year ago, I'd have been all over that as I was only in Memphis; however, I'd been waiting my whole life to live in Cali, so now that I've realized that dream, it's time to make the others a reality, too.

JChoice-
Thanks for the consideration. You'll be receiving an email as soon as I'm done w/ this.

gheba_nsx-
That's what I thought, too. I also figured, being near Silicon Valley, that there had to be miles of applicants for IT jobs w/ more focused qualifications than I have for a position in IT.

Either way, I appreciate everyone letting me rant. I guess we all need to vent occasionally, I just didn't want to turn the forum into my own personal group therapy session, but I do thank you guys for listening. And keep the suggestions coming.

-Disheartened in Huntington

Sadly, I'm going to need a job that rewards me monetarily in order to get my NSX, so I'll have to refrain from shaping the youth of the world for at least a few years. Maybe after I have a little more life experience to share w/ them.....

Back