How to steal a Ferrari

Malibu Rapper said:
But I hope you know it's not those cheap loose stones that make the watch expensive right? What you are paying for is the name and the look of the watch. That is in my mind what Rolex has done best is creating beautiful watches. If you can drop 6 figures on a watch, you would, I hope, be able to scrounge up a measly 700k for a car. That's the point I was making, I was never trying to say who makes better watches or get into a discussion of movements.

As for how these watches can command 6 digit pricetags, if you make anything expensive enough, people will buy it... If you do something bad enough, people will like it and buy it, too. (ie. Jack in the Box tacos)

You are right. The name is what made Rolex expensive. It's all about marketing. The design is debatable. Like I said, Rolex is the most recognized brand in luxury watches. However, brand recognition and being top-tiered are two totally different things. I only responded to your post as you were claiming to be a collector, and therefore know for a fact that Rolexes are upper-tiered watches. It does not matter how you look at it, be it design, price, movement, finish, rarity and exclusivity, if you are a true collector, you would've known that Rolex is not even in the same league as the top watch companies I've mentioned.

I never said a guy with a six figure watch could not afford a $700k car. All I'm saying is a typical Rolex owner cannot easily afford an F50.

wiz357 said:
It does not matter how you look at it, be it design, price, movement, finish, rarity and exclusivity, if you are a true collector, you would've known that Rolex is not even in the same league as the top watch companies I've mentioned.

I never said a guy with a six figure watch could not afford a $700k car. All I'm saying is a typical Rolex owner cannot easily afford an F50.

I guess you still miss my point but I'll let this thread go after this. If you read this thread over again from post to post you will understand where I'm coming from. It has nothing to do with claiming Rolex to be the highest quality watches and everything to do with the undeniable fact that they can be expensive. That's how a lot of these followup posts came about because it was implied that Rolex watches were inexpensive. I never said that they were the best watches, the manner in which I considered them top tier if you read that post was with respect to price. I even made the comment in the very same post that cheap ETA movements are better. So you do you think that I'm claiming Rolex watches to be in the top tier in terms of superior movements when a sub 1k watch has a better movement?

I understand that you have a superiority complex when it comes to watches but you need to relax and let it go because that's not what this conversation is about...

Back