How to steal a Ferrari

[Bell turbo B18C1 ]
Most high end Auto dealers don't even let you in to see a car, without an appointment, and with at least some identification. And to take an F50 for a spin! That salesman is an idiot. ]

All you have to do is show them your NSX insted of a limo.
Then you could have gotten a million dollar car.
Worked for me! :D

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20583&highlight=ferrari

Last edited:
what? the art of con is still alive?

time to dig out my Rolex....bought $15 in China. it worked for only about an hour before it died.....$15 well spent. if i move my hand quick enough, the salesman may not realize it's not moving:D

Eric5273 said:
Some Saudi prince will end up driving this car.

If I see one down here, I'll inform you !!

nicholas421 said:
correct me if i'm wrong.. i believe those are the same rolexes as the "entry level" rolexes. it's the diamonds that jack up the price. the movement is still sub par.

you can cover a boxster with diamonds but in the end it's still a boxster. ;)

As a collector, Rolexs are in the upper tier of watches. And it's not the diamonds that jack up the price, you can have custom bezels, bracelets, etc done elsewhere. The movement is nothing special, cheapo ETAs are better. It has a lot to do with exclusivity. A President will almost always cost more than a Datejust but the same movement in a Masterpiece can cost more than a President. Didn't want to get too far off topic but Rolex compared to a boxster is like comparing a Ferrari to a Timex. Someone who bought a platinum Masterpiece is probably very capable of buying a Ferrari. Trouble is, who knows how he got the watch and if it's real... Dumb salesman...

Eric5273 said:
It's a conspiracy! :D
ROTFL

This story makes no sense so I decided to call the dealership; No comment was all they would say. I pushed harder for more info: Yep the customer did take off with the Ferrari on the test drive however, they stated there are more details than simply no Id.

Either way, what idiots!

Fake Rolex watch $15.00
Fake Armani suit $95.00
Limousine Ride from the Airport $65.00
Getting away with swindling a $500000 Ferrari

Priceless

My $50 Mexican Tag Heuer never really keeps accurate time. But looks killer!

Maybe it only keeps accurate time in Mexico?

chumch said:
THIS is an expensive watch:
Patek Philippe Grand Complications Celestial Watch
Model: 5136-1G
$162,000
[/url]

Grand Complications
Model: 5102G
Patek Philippe Grand Complications Celestial Watch. Mens size, 18K white gold case, blue dial with Roman numerals, self-winding movement with sky chart, phases and orbit of the moon, sapphire crystal case back, water resistant of 25m., Hallmarked with the Geneva Seal, black leather strap.

Please contact us for availability or to place an order.

List Price: $162,000

I'll take two, that's insane

T Bell said:
My $50 Mexican Tag Heuer never really keeps accurate time. But looks killer!

yeh i bought a sweet looking tag in DC for $25. it looks sweet, BUT it gets stuck at 10:57. ya get what ya pay for i guess.

an interesting thing about fake rolex's ive come in contact with, i also bought two of those in DC(yeh im a sucker), but anyway i was in biology and put my watch under a micro scope and in the circle in the rolex crown it said "china" or "made in china" or something, i cant really remember, but the words were virtually invisible without a microscope.

vintagecarman said:
I'll take two, that's insane
I totally agree.

Call me cheap but I see no value in expensive watches & jewelry. Wearing a $160,000 watch makes me feel no more excited/happier than a $5 watch.

Now splurge that on a sports car, a boat, a vacation home, etc, that's money well spent. Something where you actually get a nice return on your money.

Even if I was a billionaire I wouldn't spend more than $1,000 on a watch (and probably not even more than $200).

Malibu Rapper said:
As a collector, Rolexs are in the upper tier of watches. And it's not the diamonds that jack up the price, you can have custom bezels, bracelets, etc done elsewhere. The movement is nothing special, cheapo ETAs are better. It has a lot to do with exclusivity. A President will almost always cost more than a Datejust but the same movement in a Masterpiece can cost more than a President. Didn't want to get too far off topic but Rolex compared to a boxster is like comparing a Ferrari to a Timex. Someone who bought a platinum Masterpiece is probably very capable of buying a Ferrari. Trouble is, who knows how he got the watch and if it's real... Dumb salesman...

Sorry, but a true watch collector would not consider Rolex as upper tier or exclusive. Patek, Breguet, Vacheron, Lange, and AP would be considered upper tier and exclusive. On the contrary, people who know nothing about watches, but has money to burn, buy Rolex. Any of the upper tier watch company makes complicated watches. Rolex most complicated production watch is a Daytona Chronograph. Of which, for the longest time, the movement was not even made in-house. Their movement was made by Zenith.

Raymond

wiz357 said:
Sorry, but a true watch collector would not consider Rolex as upper tier or exclusive. Patek, Breguet, Vacheron, Lange, and AP would be considered upper tier and exclusive. On the contrary, people who know nothing about watches, but has money to burn, buy Rolex.

Exactly my point. When I said upper tier, maybe I should have clarified and said upper tier in price because the question was regarding whether or not they are cheap. They are expensive and hence a person who wears an expensive watch can probably afford an expensive car. And there are different types of watch collectors out there as well. Not everyone appreciates a complex movement and instead look at the external appearance as a work of art. The watchmakers aforementioned make some of the most boring looking watches I've ever seen so although they may have succeeded in creating the most complex movement known to man, they failed miserably at simply making the watch look good. But it's all so subjective, depends on what you like...

Malibu Rapper said:
Exactly my point. When I said upper tier, maybe I should have clarified and said upper tier in price because the question was regarding whether or not they are cheap. They are expensive and hence a person who wears an expensive watch can probably afford an expensive car. And there are different types of watch collectors out there as well. Not everyone appreciates a complex movement and instead look at the external appearance as a work of art. The watchmakers aforementioned make some of the most boring looking watches I've ever seen so although they may have succeeded in creating the most complex movement known to man, they failed miserably at simply making the watch look good. But it's all so subjective, depends on what you like...

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Rolex did a wonderful job marketing their product. So much so, the Rolex name is the most recognized luxury watch brand on the planet. However, for the watch connoisseur, Rolex is mid grade at best. Maybe compared it to a Timex, yes, it's upper tier. But, if you are solely basing your statement of "upper-tier" on price, Rolex is not even close to being considered the elite of watches. Without diamonds, the most expensive Rolex is not more than $30k retail. While the watch brands I mentioned, their top models are into the hundreds of thousands of dollars without any precious stones adorning the watch. Now, when you have watches that are priced well into six figures, you can call that upper tier.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Rolex 16518. Plus, my first "nice" watch was a TT Datejust. However, from a serious watch collector's point of view, Rolex is just status symbol for those who don't know better. When you become serious about watch collecting, a mechanical watch that only tells time and date gets pretty boring. I'm so bored with my 2 Rolexes, that I don't even wear my Daytona much. The Datejust, I just gave to my father-in-law. With an annual production of just less than 1 million units per year, it's hard to call Rolex exclusive. While the companies I've mentioned, would not even be close to making 10% of that figure combined.

Most boring watches ever seen? Funny you said that, when I was new in watch collecting, I thought PP looked old and boring as well. That was because I've never actually seen a complicated PP. After I saw my first PP with chrono-perpetual calendar, it was just an exciting work of art. Of course, like you said, it's purely subjective. However, I find a watch boring when a manufacturer can't even add some interesting complications in their watches. Rolex resorts to diamonds, bling-bling and marketing to make their watches "special". Like you said, Rolex' movement is nothing out of the ordinary. You are right when you said, that a cheap ETA movement is better. Any serious collector wiill tell you the movement is a major part of watch collecting. Not every watch manufacturer can make a minute repeater watch with perpetual calendar complication. That is exclusivity, not something even Poljot can easily make or hack shops in Asia can copy. BTW, an average Rolex buyer cannot easily afford an F50, even if he is wearing a Rolex Masterpiece.

Raymond

Guys consider this thread hijacked.

Now, could you please explain to me how on earth can a mechanical watch be worth over 100,000 US? I know some mechanical watches can keep time exact with an error of 0.0005 seconds for less tan 20,000US. So Again How are these things so expensive?

wiz357 said:
Without diamonds, the most expensive Rolex is not more than $30k retail. While the watch brands I mentioned, their top models are into the hundreds of thousands of dollars without any precious stones adorning the watch. Now, when you have watches that are priced well into six figures, you can call that upper tier.

But I hope you know it's not those cheap loose stones that make the watch expensive right? What you are paying for is the name and the look of the watch. That is in my mind what Rolex has done best is creating beautiful watches. If you can drop 6 figures on a watch, you would, I hope, be able to scrounge up a measly 700k for a car. That's the point I was making, I was never trying to say who makes better watches or get into a discussion of movements.

As for how these watches can command 6 digit pricetags, if you make anything expensive enough, people will buy it... If you do something bad enough, people will like it and buy it, too. (ie. Jack in the Box tacos)

cmhs75 said:
Guys consider this thread hijacked.

Now, could you please explain to me how on earth can a mechanical watch be worth over 100,000 US? I know some mechanical watches can keep time exact with an error of 0.0005 seconds for less tan 20,000US. So Again How are these things so expensive?
I think it's part mystique and part perceived value from the buyers. Some people buy them for investment, as well as for having something that very few others can afford.

It's like buying a Mark McGuire home run baseball, which the creator of Spawn bought for $3.2 million.

Is it worth that much? Not to me, but to those with money to burn, perhaps it is. Even if I had money to burn, it will not be worth that much, unless I know it will rise in value and I can sell it readily for more money than I spent.

Back