How many of you guys notice a decrease in performance when your carrying a passenger?

I've had some people who want a ride in the NSX, maybe it's me but I seem to notice a difference in performance if they're over 200lbs....Putting body size aside, does anybody notice that they're car is a bit slower due to the extra weight?

on the track there is a night and day difference.All aspects of performance are reduced.

For me I just notice the psychological difference. I never drive the same when I have a passenger as I do when I am on my own. I can't quite get in to the same state of mental harmony with the car that I can when I am alone, so I don't ever drive it the same way.

I am a rookie driver though.

smNoFatChicks.jpg

The car is rated for 400lbs. That includes cargo

Lol, noted I'll make sure next time somebody wants to ride in the car that they might be over the limit and they'll have to lose weight before they get a ride.:tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

on the track there is a night and day difference.All aspects of performance are reduced.

Kind of what I thought, haven't tracked my car yet though:frown:

- - - Updated - - -

For me I just notice the psychological difference. I never drive the same when I have a passenger as I do when I am on my own. I can't quite get in to the same state of mental harmony with the car that I can when I am alone, so I don't ever drive it the same way.

I am a rookie driver though.

That's true never thought about that part?

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, is that a bumper sticker you have??

This is more of an issue with the 1st Gen because of the tall gearing. This is a double edged sword though. If you lighten your car, you'll notice a big performance gain as well!

for me a 180lb passenger added 2 full seconds at the glen.

I feel a hair less pull in the straights. Nothing a bit of boost wouldn't fix.

Definite notable change in handling observed on my end if there's a passenger >125lbs.

Worst handling for me was when the trunk was loaded with perhaps 200lbs+ of stuff (many brake pads/rotors, lots of tools, hydraulic floor-jack, and other heavy/dense fluids in containers). Instead, having that amount of weight in the cabin (passenger or contents) didn't nearly affect the handling in the same way...

I'm thinking if I, myself, drop ~25lbs. I can improve my lap-splits by .25s! :D

1st gen you mean 5-speeds, my 92 has a 6-speed from a 2004 and thought I hardle have anyone passenger I can notice a difference but like others have said I don't drive like I do when im alone.

if I kill myself doing stupid sh_t then its my fault but when someone else is in the car I don't want their family to kill my family in a fued over the death LOL

I DD a tuned 335i sedan and usually my girlfriend @ 47kg doesnt really effect performance. However, put one more person in the car (ex. my brother at around 160-170lbs) makes the whole car a LOT slower. Like a lot. Really gotta dial in MORE boost to counter that xD

for me a 180lb passenger added 2 full seconds at the glen.

Wow! Big difference at the track :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

I feel a hair less pull in the straights. Nothing a bit of boost wouldn't fix.

Boost does tend to fix a lot of get up and go issues doesn't it :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Definite notable change in handling observed on my end if there's a passenger >125lbs.

Worst handling for me was when the trunk was loaded with perhaps 200lbs+ of stuff (many brake pads/rotors, lots of tools, hydraulic floor-jack, and other heavy/dense fluids in containers). Instead, having that amount of weight in the cabin (passenger or contents) didn't nearly affect the handling in the same way...

I'm thinking if I, myself, drop ~25lbs. I can improve my lap-splits by .25s! :D

That got me thinking, that's exactly how much weight I probably should lose 25lbs, Damn Dairy Queen and everything sweet that I crave!:mad: I think I'm going to go downstairs now and have a doughnut lol

I have an 02. On the way to NSXPO last year, I had a passenger and a completely packed trunk. I could barely feel the difference. It could be that the NA2 gears and extra HP can handle more of a load.

Quick crude assumptions & physics calculation: Car = 2800 lbs, driver 200 lbs, passenger 200 lbs. Totals: 3000lb without passenger, 3200 lbs with. Ratio of max acceleration for a specific HP for the two weights = 3000/3200. I.e. an extra 200 lbs is like loosing 6% of your HP, or 17 HP for a 270 HP OEM NA1 car. Balance and CG are also affected in non-straight line performance.

Simple spirited driving and this may not be noticed. All out at the Glen (aka Doc John:biggrin:), its a double whammy in HP and cornering.

.....and braking

I like to sport around town with less than 1/2 tank of fuel. I'm sure it's all in my head but it feels quicker/more nimble.

For regular driving, the low torque numbers and the added weight make a noticeable difference. In my corvette, it didn't matter if I had a passenger or the trunk was full, the difference was practically unnoticeable, in my Integra LS a passenger or two would feel like I was dragging an anchor behind the car.

Back