How 'bout that stock market?

If anyone else intends to sign up, PM me an email address so I can refer you and then we both get $100 in addition to the $500.

I just referred my wife and it looks like it may not be possible to get both the $500 and $100 referral. It prepopulates the promo code field with FRIEND instead of C3 and C3 is needed to get the $500. I'm looking to confirm that's the case, or if there is a way to have my cake and eat it too :).

Last edited:
Let us know what happens robr. If I can hook up some people up and get 100$ out of the process I'll make some calls.

Let us know what happens robr. If I can hook up some people up and get 100$ out of the process I'll make some calls.

You can't do both, but after tonight, the $500 is off the table, but the $100 for referrals is still on. I opened 2 accounts, one for my wife and one for myself. $1000 gain for letting $1000 sit around for 6 months.... that's crazy.

so what's the deal, can you get the 500$ out after 6 months or not? (it only goes towards fees?).

so what's the deal, can you get the 500$ out after 6 months or not? (it only goes towards fees?).

I've seen posts from people who got $100 on previous promotions and they claim they just withdrew it without issue. I personally know nothing about this company, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and it's FDIC insured, so I don't really see a downside of trying.

I've seen posts from people who got $100 on previous promotions and they claim they just withdrew it without issue. I personally know nothing about this company, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and it's FDIC insured, so I don't really see a downside of trying.

I'm going to give it a shot. I will wait until tomorrow to send the check out so that other members can verify it's legit. It is a little unnerving that it's only offered during a time that no one can call the firm to verify it.

Plus if 1,000 people go for this that's 500,000$ they are paying out, or .5% of their entire annual revenue.

On the flip side, if you can't use the $$ for anything other than compensating for fees-it's ingenius. You get 15+ in fees, account closing fee (50?), etc. from a lot of people and will probably get a few additional long term clients.

I'm going to give it a shot. I will wait until tomorrow to send the check out so that other members can verify it's legit. It is a little unnerving that it's only offered during a time that no one can call the firm to verify it.

Plus if 1,000 people go for this that's 500,000$ they are paying out, or .5% of their entire annual revenue.

On the flip side, if you can't use the $$ for anything other than compensating for fees-it's ingenius. You get 15+ in fees, account closing fee (50?), etc. from a lot of people and will probably get a few additional long term clients.

Well, you're out nothing for just signing up, you could call them tomorrow before funding and verify you can cash out the $500. I hope their angle isn't it's $500 in free trade credits. The offer certainly makes it sound like it's for cash. The underlined part is of course a bit unnerving.

*Offer limited to one $500 bonus for each newly activated, funded optionsXpress account meeting the terms and conditions of the offer. To qualify for the $500 bonus, the account must be opened through https://www.optionsxpress.com/new_account.asp?intcmp=lplb500ppc&promo=113 or with promo code C3 by 11/30/08, a per account average balance of $500 must be maintained for 6 months, and the account must trade at least once. The $500 bonus will be deposited into the account on May 15th, 2009 if terms and conditions are met. A customer can only qualify for the $500 bonus a total of one time. Deposits of new funds or securities from existing optionsXpress accounts are not eligible for this offer. Qualified (IRA), linked and shared accounts are not eligible for this offer. This offer is not valid for optionsXpress associates, non-U.S. residents, and where otherwise prohibited. Customers can not exchange the $500 for other offers, cash or credit. We reserve the right at our sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend this offer program at any time without notice.

Last edited:

I can just hear it now, when you go to call the place the people are going to say there is no special offer. And then you realize you have just given some Nigerian guy all of your personal info.

Thats another reason why I don't want to sign up. It sounds a little too good to be true. You guys are INTERNET savvy enough to know from the link or the what ever info you get from a few clicks of the correct key but for me I AM NOT putting my personal information into some web page BEFORE I confirm it on the phone with a live person which I got the phone number from a completely different source than the advertisements web page. Yes, I still don't trust the INTERNET.

I can just hear it now, when you go to call the place the people are going to say there is no special offer. And then you realize you have just given some Nigerian guy all of your personal info.

Thats another reason why I don't want to sign up. It sounds a little too good to be true. You guys are INTERNET savvy enough to know from the link or the what ever info you get from a few clicks of the correct key but for me I AM NOT putting my personal information into some web page BEFORE I confirm it on the phone with a live person which I got the phone number from a completely different source than the advertisements web page. Yes, I still don't trust the INTERNET.

I'm logged into the website after creating my account Steve, this is absolutely legit as far as a company. As far as the offer, well.... we'll see in 6 months :).

You've got a lot more to lose than I do, if I was in your shoes I'd be much more weary of offers like these. However, I haven't sent a nickel to anyone yet, nor have I provided any banking or CC information. I have identity protection so worst case I get some use out of it.

someone just posted today is the funding deadline for the $500 bonus unless you call for an extension

"FYI- for anyone who signed up- You'll need to either call them or do a live chat to have an extension added for funding on this account-- Today is the fund deadline unless you get them to extend-- I did a live chat and was extended until 12/15... "

my chat log:

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Heather'
Welcome to optionsXpress, how may I help you?
rob: hi, i signed up with the promo code for the $500 bonus, when is the funding deadline for that?
Heather: Hi, that is today
rob: can i get an extension on that?
rob: no way to get funds in by end of business today
Heather: Sure there is, it's done with a wire transfer
rob: i can try that and see if it can be done (without a fee) from my money market account, however I'd like an extension. I understand it's been given to others who have applied for this same promotion.
Heather: True, it is given on request if you have no way to fund before then. However that you'd have a fee is not generally a reason for extension. May I have your account number please?
rob: xxxx-xxxx
Heather: thank you
Heather: one moment please
Heather: I see you did fully open the account; I'll include this in the list for requested extension. Please be sure your deposit clears by Dec 15
rob: thank you very much.
Heather: You're quite welcome

Last edited:
the funding deadline has been extended to 12/15 for everyone. Jesus told me himself.

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Jesus'
Welcome to optionsXpress, how may I help you?
shannon: hi, i opened an account yesterday to take advantage of the $500 bonus. my husband says i needed to contact you to get an extension for the funding so i'd still qualify as it will take me a few days to fund my account.
Jesus: may I have your account number please?
shannon: xxxx-xxxx
Jesus: thank you
Jesus: yes you should have until 12/15 to fund your account
shannon: my brother is opening an account as well, should i have him contact you or is the deadline 12/15 for everyone?
Jesus: it is 12/15 for everyone that already got an account number assigned
shannon: great, i'll let him know. thank you very much.

Yep, extended, legit, and it appears that you can take out the 500 anytime after you get it.

Dear optionsXpress Fans,

We were thrilled to see the excitement around our latest offer. We always look forward to welcoming new customers to optionsXpress. We also heard many questions from you regarding the rules of this offer, all offers have strings (rules) and so did this one. Here are the answers the most frequently asked questions:

• The account must be opened through the specified optionsXpress link, and we needed to receive all required information either electronically or the physical paperwork by 11/30/08.
• A per account average balance of $500 must be maintained for 6 months, and the account must trade at least once.
• If you are already a customer, you are not eligible for this offer (the terms excluded Qualified (IRA), linked and shared accounts).
• Once you receive the $500 you are free to do with it as you wish.
• You need to fund by December 15, 2008 to be eligible.

In order to be fair to everyone, we have to strictly adhere to these rules. For those of you who were interested in the offer, but did not respond in time, keep an eye out – we may do other offers in the future. Thanks for your interest in optionsXpress and I look forward to seeing what the markets may bring in 2009.

Ned Bennett
CEO, optionsXpress, Inc.

Dear optionsXpress Fans,

We were thrilled to see the excitement around our latest offer. We always look forward to welcoming new customers to optionsXpress. We also heard many questions from you regarding the rules of this offer, all offers have strings (rules) and so did this one. Here are the answers the most frequently asked questions:

• The account must be opened through the specified optionsXpress link, and we needed to receive all required information either electronically or the physical paperwork by 11/30/08.
• A per account average balance of $500 must be maintained for 6 months, and the account must trade at least once.
• If you are already a customer, you are not eligible for this offer (the terms excluded Qualified (IRA), linked and shared accounts).
• Once you receive the $500 you are free to do with it as you wish.
• You need to fund by December 15, 2008 to be eligible.

In order to be fair to everyone, we have to strictly adhere to these rules. For those of you who were interested in the offer, but did not respond in time, keep an eye out – we may do other offers in the future. Thanks for your interest in optionsXpress and I look forward to seeing what the markets may bring in 2009.

Ned Bennett
CEO, optionsXpress, Inc.

Yeah I am waiting for the fund 10k get 10k free offer :D

Pretty calm past two days. Traded POT and GS all day, lost my a$$ (isn't that way of typing it very appropriate) in GS a few times.

Pretty calm past two days. Traded POT and GS all day, lost my a$$ (isn't that way of typing it very appropriate) in GS a few times.

I just bought GS calls for 2011 and will forget about them for a year. That is pretty much what I have been doing lately. Very little trading except a few choice ETF's.

Waiting for that big drop to bulldoze in a pile of money, hopefully not into a hole last the last batch I pitched into a fire. :frown:

Some of these oil stocks are pricing in zero dollar oil. MS and some ag stocks are acting oddly as well. This is the type of activity that usually proceeds some vital news announcement, we'll see.

Selling off the DRYS leaps.

OH OH what to do with the C Leaps. I am pacing a bit here.

My XLF calls are doing well and so are my xl captital calls. EXM is making me happy too.

bought drys puts after selling the drys calls.

My day trading days ended about 6 yrs ago.
Dont have the stomach for it.
Did load up on F, GE, INTC, & C last month.
Looks like an easy double in the near future.
If not the year after..........
Went from tech to boring beat up stocks in my cash account.
Never thought I would be able to buy F at $1.25, GE @ 15, C @ 5.65, INTC in the 12's. My 401K is now a 201K & ROTH /2.
Just checking in........
Good luck guy's, total respect for the day traders here........:smile:

Back