• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How much would I regret getting an Auto (and old ABS, NA1) instead of a 6MT

Im not sure what everyone likes so much about the nsx auto trans, maybe everyone is referencing the newer trans with the paddle shifters.. but I own a 91 auto (that ive now converted to manual), and the trans shifts and performa literally like any other automatic trans from the 90’s. The shifts were not quick or “crisp”. Shifted just like an accord, and unless you were really mashing the pedal, it would shift gears before 3000rpm. And no it was not slipping or anything, it had fresh fluid and shifted fine..but again, just like any other honda automatic of the time. I dont know, but to me it wasnt fun at all. Sure its still an nsx that youre driving, but to get any fun out of the car you pretty much would have to be pedal to the metal. If you want an auto its best to stay away from the early ones if you actually want it to be fun.

Agree auto "out of the box" is typical 90's transmission feel, but as I mentioned you can install aftermarket ECU that changes all the characteristics you are talking about. I should also mention that my fuel mileage has dropped to the high teens (mpg) using the Mine's Racing ECU, it's definitely using more fuel to give the better performance (revving higher, different timing, revised fuel maps, etc)

The ECU has nothing to do with the way the transmission shifts. If it seems to, it's placebo.

And theres a reason Honda limited the revs and torque on the auto cars, trying to bypass this is a sketchy proposition at best. In general I would never recommend an OTS tune to anyone, and Mines is no exception.

Last edited:
Back