How 'bout that stock market?

What is the opinion of WMI?

I know it's a well run company but haven't gone over its financials or the competition.

There won't be any surprises but it's got a 2.5% yield right at this price level. It's lagging at about 50% the S&P 500's growth rate but still only 6 basis points off it's 1yr target.

Negatives
.1% shares held by insiders.
(-) growth rate qtr over qtr
mediocre cash->revenue ratio (not much room for supporting the stock themselves)
PEG is 1.7
looks like the floor is around the 35 mark

Positives
very low short ratio
debt is 50% of revenue

Doesn't seem too interesting to me unless you know of some big plans they have that I don't know about. I took a look at WINN, only a market cap of 387M and it has almost the exact same stats as WMI but 53%!!! insider holdings. Do you know of some catalys that makes WMI interesting? If it dropped in the mid 30's and for some reason you thought they'd grow qtr over qtr you could make some $$.

Great post Ryan. You touched on the key of trading - Emotions. Its good to hear your story of blowing out accounts, because it kind of defines professional traders that are good at what they do. You have to get through the learning curve the hard way. Ok, you probably don't HAVE to, but 99% of them do.

This statement is so true. I too learned the hard way but, after 15 years of investing I have learned quite a bit. The most predominant being keeping your emotions in check through the ups and downs of the market.

Well WMI is going nowhere now, WINN looks pretty good. I did alright on the LEH gap, ~7k in profit so far. It looks to me that 55 will be here again if the news sentiment stays as it is. At 55 though I will load up again.

Well WMI is going nowhere now, WINN looks pretty good. I did alright on the LEH gap, ~7k in profit so far. It looks to me that 55 will be here again if the news sentiment stays as it is. At 55 though I will load up again.

WINN's entire chart setup scares the daylights out of me... LEH has had some nice setups, i'd be looking for it to hold the 56-57 area and bounce from there. If it fails around there you might want to hold onto the guns before pulling the trigger... Just my .02, you've obviously already got a system of investing that works for you! and WMI as you pointed out is pretty much stagnant consolidation drift.

Nice job on the LEH profits!

Anyone else trading in these markets this past week? Complete and utter crap... The mornings might have a few tradeable swings, but after noon there is chop, chop, slam candle, chop, chop slam candle... Hell this morning hasn't had one tradeable swing in it thus far.

I mean look at this sheit... a 6pt range???? If you want ugly, there is the definition. To me, all of the price action signals something big on the horizon... the breath before the plunge. It was this way back in the end of july. In the meantime, i'm sure the locals in the pits are having fun pushing the markets back and forth and eating stops up.

crap.jpg

And that is why I stopped trading the ES a few years ago. Back in 99-2003 it was 20-50 point swings a day, now it sucks. I did okay with the Euro, went long and short yesterday for about 80 pips. Goal is 2-300 a month but most I make 4-600 :biggrin: When the ES was dead I used to screw around with the Nazz, but in all honesty once you learn what you are doing the Forex is the best and most liquid / biggest mover out there.

yuck. got my ass handed to me today. not a good day. my shorts killed me.

yuck. got my ass handed to me today. not a good day. my shorts killed me.

Ditto... Didn't even trade the morning. Three separate times today I put orders in on buy/sell signals, and price action traded down to my offer, but didn't go through it to pick them up. All 3 ended up being "huge" (considering the action today) winners. I did get filled on the two losing trades I took though. -3.25 ES today. Swings today were bullshit though. One huge upswing in the morning with no pullbacks, and one in the afternoon after Bear Sterns/Buffet news... The rest was 1 pt consolidation.

Tomorrow is another day!

been doing good on the EURUSD, playing the bounce off the 21ma on a 4hr chart.

Well done. I took a look at the method you trade. Looks to be very very good imo. Today actually ended up being kind of tradeable. I was in a trade this morning that went +2 in favor (my target on this particular trade), didn't fill, came back down and stopped me out at par within about 30 seconds. FRUSTRATING! I only walked away with about 3 points, but considering the week, i'll take it. :smile:

grmn continues to be a good ride for me :)

http://tickervideo.org/eod-0928/eod-0928.html

Around 8 minutes in he addresses a bunch of the stocks you guys are holding... RIMM, AAPL, GRMN... While my analysis is fundamentally different from this guy, it all supports the same conclusion. Take profits, the ride is over. Great job on the gains, but be smart about it and take them. Good investors remove emotion, so stop thinking since its been good to you it always will.

Just my .02

Cheers!

Any recommendations for a discount broker with high interest rates on cash? I was looking at firsttrade, but just found out their rate is only 2% on $10K.

I don't plan on taking up day trading, this is just for a very occasional trade.

Thanks!

I'm going to go with Zecco and fill out the form to change my default cash account to a 4+% money market account.

FYI, zecco just changed their policies. The number of free trades has been reduced to 10 a month vs 40. I also use zecco but trade more frequently so this is a bit of a downer.

I go the same route using a cash account at 5%+ instead of letting it sit in the brokerage account although their rates have recently become quite competitive.

I hope you guys have been getting a peice of China. I was overweight 40% until I finally took some significant profits. You almost can't miss, and it's been this good for months and months now. GXC, FXI, CHL, BIDU, etc. all absolute monsters. BIDU went up almost 40 dollars today and FXI has the momentum of a frieght train heading down mt. everest.

Recently China begin to allow chinese citizens to invest in the Hang Seng. Take a look at that giant. It's gone from 22,000 to 27,000 in a month or two.

I hope no one got nailed on GRMN! Unfortunatly I was right about it, but I didn't think it would reverse so quickly. I thought there would be nice ways out of it, but thats just nasty. 20% in 2 days. Ouch.

Be smart about this guys! RIMM scares the daylights out of me as well... Lets hope i'm not right this time.

I hope you guys have been getting a peice of China. I was overweight 40% until I finally took some significant profits. You almost can't miss, and it's been this good for months and months now. GXC, FXI, CHL, BIDU, etc. all absolute monsters. BIDU went up almost 40 dollars today and FXI has the momentum of a frieght train heading down mt. everest.

Recently China begin to allow chinese citizens to invest in the Hang Seng. Take a look at that giant. It's gone from 22,000 to 27,000 in a month or two.

Did you get in on this one?

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=efut

Heres a blog i've been following for awhile... The guy knows his stuff. Check out his rants at the bottom about what happened yesterday. NWS for language.

http://market-ticker.denninger.net/

Direct link to youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3N7PU9ohMI

Hes obviously pissed, but we all have reason to be. Yesterday was historical and its going to have long term effects.

Cheers!

This guys is fucking great lol. He knows what he is talking about, like a harder core Cramer hehe

Also I know the US $ is going to shit, I trade cash day in and day out my 401k is up 19.6 % know what I am in? All overseas lol ;)

Last edited:
This week is much better than last. Regional banks still doing it for me. I got in NCC near the bottom...And whaddya know....Cramer makes a takeover prediction and it pops 2 bucks in two days. Sold out after hours today. I was planning on collecting the dividend but I can't complain about 2 bucks. Might buy again before it goes ex for the 41 cents.

RE: GRMN....that sucks, but can't say I didn't warn anyone.

Some picks to keep you warm through the winter....Energy Trusts.

BTE 10% divvy
FDG 7.5% yield
PWE 13% yield!!!

Back