How 'bout that stock market?

I'm doing good as well. My QID and SKF are up, and my trade with solf is up 6%, I'm about to cover that one. Things seem a lot easier to predict when the market is going down for me. Post 500, this will be a good day.

Any advice for a mid term noob. I put an international etn INP in my bucket of goodies last year and it's down 40% , i haven't lost this bad before. And looking at the market now, this guys heading for the gutter at least another 15%, new trade rules in india and the markets bad in general (for long term kids) is it wise to stop the bleeding?

quack quack

They are friggen giving money away with the apple options. the 120 calls are 5 buck each and the puts are 6 bucks each. I just bought 1k shares of apple and sold 10 calls on it. Good to 115 and out at 125. Wish I could have sold the puts but scottrade won't allow the selling of puts no matter what. That's a bunch of BS IMO and if I had the time to learn a new site I would switch.

Up 5k on those options down 1k on the stock.

Ok Mr. Pimp Daddy Steve......I'm sitting by the phone :biggrin:

They are friggen giving money away with the apple options. the 120 calls are 5 buck each and the puts are 6 bucks each. I just bought 1k shares of apple and sold 10 calls on it. Good to 115 and out at 125. Wish I could have sold the puts but scottrade won't allow the selling of puts no matter what. That's a bunch of BS IMO and if I had the time to learn a new site I would switch.

Up 5k on those options down 1k on the stock.

Caught BIDU twice today. Just a 3K day, but you don't go broke making a profit.

Your AAPL keeps dropping. I think I might take a long position soon. Tech is just getting hammered though.

This current upswing would have made my last trade worth 18K. Woulda coulda shoulda. Bah.

It's almost beer thirty. Until monday folks!

41 pips out of the AUDUSD... yay!

19% account growth this week on my swing trade account, 16% on my daytrade account.... And I took a day off! lol. Cheers folks! Enjoy your weekends!

Caught BIDU twice today. Just a 3K day, but you don't go broke making a profit.

Your AAPL keeps dropping. I think I might take a long position soon. Tech is just getting hammered though.

This current upswing would have made my last trade worth 18K. Woulda coulda shoulda. Bah.

It's almost beer thirty. Until monday folks!

Looking good over here. Apple up 3 bucks from where the options were sold and the options only moved 45 cents from where I sold them. :biggrin:
MSFT options have almost evaporated and the XOM options are almost tandem with the stock price. I say another week and I will cover them and sell the April calls on anything that is in the money. A pimp has to lock in those profits baby.

The energy trusts have been on an upswing for the past couple weeks. Prepare for lift off. Always nice to see the cash cows in the green once again.

Three trades on BIDU today, and i'm out. Decent day.

AAPL keeps falling....dare I go long?

+27 out of the EURUSD this morning, took a long term swing position short in the USDCHF from 1.0891 around 10am targeting 1.0815...

Everything in the equity markets is pretty quiet today in front of the econ news this week. Should be one hell of a volatile week for you guys to trade!

I need 50 pips this week in my main daytrade account and I will have grown to the point where i can safely increase my size by another contract. That means that I will have accomplished the hardest account increase I need and it all gets easier to make good money from here on out. Its a big deal for me!

I'm actually decreasing my account leverage from about 250.00/mini to 333/mini but from here on out account growth is just going to keep compounding!

The energy trusts have been on an upswing for the past couple weeks. Prepare for lift off. Always nice to see the cash cows in the green once again.

Three trades on BIDU today, and i'm out. Decent day.

AAPL keeps falling....dare I go long?

Buy some and sell the calls. They are juicy!!!

edit..

BTW thanks for the pgh tip I am up nicely on that one.

This thread might as well be written in Japanese. I would understand just as much.

それは私が日本語にそれを書けば助ける。それからわかりました。時間が切れると同時に在庫を買い、甘い利益を得るカバーされた呼出しを販売する。

Buy some and sell the calls. They are juicy!!!

edit..

BTW thanks for the pgh tip I am up nicely on that one.

Speaky of juicy...PGH goes ex div on Thursday. Yielding over 14% as of today. Little boost to your gain. :wink:

What are the conditions as far as how long I have to hold it before I.... GET PAAAAID!!!!

Just have to own it on the ex date. You could buy more on Weds just before the market close, and you'd get paid for those shares as well.

They teach you in finance class that the value of a security will fall by roughly the amount of dividend payable on the ex date. This is in theory.

In practice, i've noticed that the stock will usually open down from the previous day's close by roughly the dividend amount, but it is free to do what it wants during the trading day.

Just have to own it on the ex date. You could buy more on Weds just before the market close, and you'd get paid for those shares as well.

They teach you in finance class that the value of a security will fall by roughly the amount of dividend payable on the ex date. This is in theory.

In practice, i've noticed that the stock will usually open down from the previous day's close by roughly the dividend amount, but it is free to do what it wants during the trading day.

Also be sure to check the stop or trailing stop orders. :biggrin: I have made that mistake before too. Sometimes the trailing stop orders will adjust for the dividend but not always.

*AAPL and writing covered calls-
Is there a good strategy for covered call writing when the stock falls ? (Since you have no downside protection.)
Say you buy 1000 AAPL at 116 and collect $5k selling the 120 call option, the stock drops to 100.
I've been stuck in similar situations before and would just like to know what an experienced covered call writer would do. (I'm an experienced trader 20+ years , just not with covered calls)

Last edited:
*AAPL and writing covered calls-
Is there a good strategy for covered call writing when the stock falls ? (Since you have no downside protection.)
Say you buy 1000 AAPL at 116 and collect $5k selling the 120 call option, the stock drops to 100.
I've been stuck in similar situations before and would just like to know what an experienced covered call writer would do.

Buy back the calls or let them expire worthless and write a new batch of calls for the next month.

I did in fact buy aapl at 119.9965 and sold the 120's for march netting 4.95 a share. The calls still have a crap load of premium left in them so all I do now is wait.

Like someone else said on this thread puts are a much better play but scottrade won't trade puts. Errrr.

Buy the way Apple just had their price target downgraded from 160 to 140 so it is still 20 bucks under that target.

Edit

on the other hand I also sold CC's on XOM that I bought at 85.02 and now it's trading at 88.80. I sold the march 85's for 3.20 and they now trade for 5.1. A lot of the premium has been run out of them already and I am getting ready to buy them back and sell the April 90's, thus netting the premium on the march 85's and hoping to do the same on the April 90's all the while retaining the underlying and all of it's gains.

at this point there is only a 1.20-1.30 of premium left in them. I will wait until it is run down about 1/2 that and then make the changes. At this point I have snacthed out 2 bucks worth of the original 3.20.

edit..
BTW I am liking BRCD. It has made a pretty sweet profit over the last few weeks. Looks like it has some upside strength.

steveny: thanks for the quick reply. Is there a specific stock type that is better to write CC's on ? Do you focus on high earnings growth, low debt etc ? I know an uptrend or sideways is preferable as well but when the options expire 4+ weeks out , you really don't know what the trend will be doing then. Do you want high volatility , so the prems are higher ? I'm looking for some conservative, low stress income in my semi-retirement years.(vs day trading)

steveny: thanks for the quick reply. Is there a specific stock type that is better to write CC's on ? Do you focus on high earnings growth, low debt etc ? I know an uptrend or sideways is preferable as well but when the options expire 4+ weeks out , you really don't know what the trend will be doing then. Do you want high volatility , so the prems are higher ? I'm looking for some conservative, low stress income in my semi-retirement years.(vs day trading)

Covered calls are good for stocks that:

Are moving sideways.
Are dispensable.....as in you don't mind if your shares get called away.
Not volatile...(you'll give up some premium, but you'll keep your stock) Especially since you want low stress income.

Back