Honest opinions needed

Here is a situation that I would need your opinion on:

Found the perfect combo NSX with the mods you want on it, pricing is fair too.
THEN owner finds out it was in a crash before the owned it and had the front frame bend/wrinkled during the PPI done by the interested party.
Mods to the car are worth about 80% of the selling price

would you buy it?

Don't EVER buy a car that has been in an accident that involves frame damage.

thats the good thing about this, title is clear, and these threads will be deleted by the time I sell the NSX... 15 years from now... as far as getting a stock 02, I love the R, and modding an 02 would en up costing me a whole lot more than buying the modded 95....

Even if the title is clear, the next owner will pay for the next PPI, and guess what? Bent frame.:wink:

I'm anal when it comes to buing an used car. I will consider a fender or quarter panel replacement from a minor accident. I will not consider a car that has a bent frame. (JMO) Good luck on your search.

I agree with this.
When you're doing 150mph, will you trust that the work was done right?

since this thread has become quite the colorful coloring book... lemme break it down for ya

1. you have NEVER contacted "the girl owner" why do i know this for a fact? CUZ I AM HER. only contact youve ever made is with my bf and he told you we had an interested buyer from OR (eric) and did not want to show the car while we were working with him.

2. if vance or whoever wants to check it out, youre welcome to contact me because i have no problem showing the car

3. like i said youre all more then welcome to contact me other then that there is no need to make my problem your main subject of the day as you sit in front of your computers

I emailed you after searching for your email address when erick mentioned a female owner as well, check your inbox at mobworks.com. But that does not matter anyway as Tong PM'ed me the car is no longer for sale.

As far as the other guys, you are right, frame damage = no no, I probably got caught up in all the mods done to it. Oh well, the search continues. Thanks for all the help, its much appreciated.

Greetings

Aluminum has an interesting property in that if you bend it or hit it with a hammer, or other blow, it hardens. This makes it much stronger, but it also makes it brittle. This is similar to copper in properties -- bend a copper pipe and it is easy the first time. It is a b____ the second time you try to rebend it. Aluminum is the same way.

Do you have any pictures of the previous damage? The only way to test it would be to do a Rockwell hardness or equivalent test on the frame where it was straightened. There should be stress marks on the frame where it was originally bend and again where it was "straightened". I don't know what type of aluminum is used in the frame, but you can check in either a Mark's Handbook of Mechanical Engineering or a Perry's Handbook of Chemical Engineering to get what the Rockwell numbers should be. If it checks out, the front end is probably not in danger of sheering off due to stress cracking.

My family farms out in the midwest and on the high plains. We had an aluminum semi grain hauling trailer that was in an accident. It was fixed and looked perfect -- it broke in two with less than 1/4 of a load on it.

This should enable you to get a good price if you decide it is safe and to buy the car.

Martin

I'm anal when it comes to buing an used car. I will consider a fender or quarter panel replacement from a minor accident. I will not consider a car that has a bent frame. (JMO) Good luck on your search.

i wouldnt consider a car with even touch up paint on it lol

So you will try to hide this information from the future potential owner? :eek:

Sounds like you are a real honest person....

nope, When if I were to buy it, I would register as a slavage and not as a clean title. Doing that would be completely wrong to the next buyer.

best opinion for you is to save more money and get a 02-03 one. no story, no issue, :biggrin: and stop talking about that white one. that owner may get mad on you already.

Personally, I understand how you feel. The car looks great and pretty much everything that you would want to do to an NSX has been done! Howevever, the fact that it has been through a major accident, requiring frame repair would make me pass.I don't know why this car wasn't reported by the insurance company/shop, but it's prett much like buying a salvaged car IMHO. If you're budget is like 46-50k, I would get a clean stock '91/'92 for around 30k, put in another 10k for an '02 conversion, then another final 10k for wheels, suspension, and other misc. parts. You'll then have 15 years to get the rest of the parts and also have the satisfaction of modding it YOURSELF.

Back