Help me decide; Trade my 94 RX7 for NSX?

EAC

Legendary Member
First of all, I’ve been a FD owner since 1998. I’ve owned 3 of them, from extreme to my current (Tastefully Modded) 94 single turbo.

I’m 34, I feel as if I don’t have time nor the desire to constantly work on my car. I’ve liked the NSX for many years but I’ve always been a HP junky. That doesn’t necessarily interest me much these days, so I’m now seriously considering a change. If I were to make this move, I’d atleast want a early model NSX so that I could afford some exterior updating.

I won’t need much convincing. But, if you can help me seal the deal, I’ll put my car up for sale this weekend. :redface:

What I dislike about my car;

Loud / Smelly Exhaust
9 mpg
No AC / No Power Steering
Cheap interior
Not a attention grabber like they used to be
Unreliable
Premixing Fuel

What I’d like;

Pretty much everything opposite of the above.

Here are a few pictures of my current car.

2jf96h.jpg

24ytljr.jpg

t6fi9f.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Last edited:
I made the move from a 94 RX7 to a 91 NSX about 10 year ago now. I think the NSX is a better platform, overall, however it WAS slower than my RX7.

You can't go wrong with an NSX.

Buy a CTSC NSX and you'll be good to go.

and it is most def the opposite of the list you had... (minus the power steering depending on the year you end up getting)

other than that, your RX-7 is effin beautiful. Me likey... just not the 9mpg + not reliable.. lol.

Absolutely Beautiful Rx7!!

Can someone tell me how fast is a Rx7? I always hear how fast they are, yet in 2 encounters with Rx7 owners, both times my car was faster ...

Oscar

Always liked the look of those FDs....but why would anyone have to talk you into selling a car that obviously has issues. I mean come on - no ac, 9 mpg, wow -smelley - I mean smelley - geez dude. I would think that some of the things you'll like about the NSX - leather interior smells good - not as cheap interior, ergonomicly superior, AC well - I'd find one that had the AC gone thru - cost is going to be a bit higher. Looks factor -well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You gotta realize something - no one needs to talk you into anything -except to say that the NSX is just an icon of a car. It is pretty much everything your FD isn't. Loud and smelley being at the top of the list. But point is - if you don't like working on your car anymore - then you will need to buy accordingly - buy one that has been waaaaay maintained! Not easy to find but one is for sale right now - NSXstasy's car! Check out Prime. Good cars for sale but any NSX you buy that has a low price attached to it is going to need something and I'd think a lot - so don't be fooled by purchase price - those low ballers will mean that all the money you need to spend will come after purchase - so get ready if that's your target. You will be paying at least mid to upper 20s and more for a really well maintained nice NSX with fairly low miles - even the 91s.

Don't sell thinking you are going to find a cheap NSX to replace your devalued FD that will not require you doing work or someone doing work and plenty of it. Sounds like that's what your FD needs.

My two cents - good luck and happy hunting. Its a great car - oh -and it sounds good not buzzy. :wink:

bone stock for stock its too close to call all other things being equal....most rx7 you see now are all modded. To the op look at it this way: the nsx was honda's best car they could build(partly by hand) from a clean slate, to what would be today a 100k pricepoint.The rx7 was built to to about a 50k pricepoint by todays standards and was a body evolution to showcase there duel turbo-rotary technology.IMO there is no comparison in build quality/ergonomics and durability.Plus the shear delight of the intake honk over you left shoulder.The nsx is more stable at high speed and the front view is unparalleled.

Last edited:
Always liked the look of those FDs....but why would anyone have to talk you into selling a car that obviously has issues. I mean come on - no ac, 9 mpg, wow -smelley - I mean smelley - geez dude. I would think that some of the things you'll like about the NSX - leather interior smells good - not as cheap interior, ergonomicly superior, AC well - I'd find one that had the AC gone thru - cost is going to be a bit higher. Looks factor -well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

You gotta realize something - no one needs to talk you into anything -except to say that the NSX is just an icon of a car. It is pretty much everything your FD isn't. Loud and smelley being at the top of the list. But point is - if you don't like working on your car anymore - then you will need to buy accordingly - buy one that has been waaaaay maintained! Not easy to find but one is for sale right now - NSXstasy's car! Check out Prime. Good cars for sale but any NSX you buy that has a low price attached to it is going to need something and I'd think a lot - so don't be fooled by purchase price - those low ballers will mean that all the money you need to spend will come after purchase - so get ready if that's your target. You will be paying at least mid to upper 20s and more for a really well maintained nice NSX with fairly low miles - even the 91s.

Don't sell thinking you are going to find a cheap NSX to replace your devalued FD that will not require you doing work or someone doing work and plenty of it. Sounds like that's what your FD needs.

My two cents - good luck and happy hunting. Its a great car - oh -and it sounds good not buzzy. :wink:

I don’t exactly need someone to talk me into this, I’ve pretty much settled on the decision. I just wanted to put a feeler out just in case I was missing something about what I expected out of a NSX. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
My max dollar would be 30. I don’t mind doing a little R&R, but I’m done with worrying about breaking a motor every time I want to step on it. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
My current FD isn’t a problem child. It has a relatively safe tune, 435 whp @ 15 psi. Motor is 4 years old without a hiccup. That’s not to say that I don’t worry every time I get on it. <o:p></o:p>

Absolutely Beautiful Rx7!!

Can someone tell me how fast is a Rx7? I always hear how fast they are, yet in 2 encounters with Rx7 owners, both times my car was faster ...

Oscar

Stock, mine went 13.40's with good driving. I never duplicated that.

Modified, the fastest I went with my old FD was 10.00 @ 119 on the brakes. I didn't want to get kicked out for not having a 9 sec license.

With all that, you lose streetability, comfort and reliability.

Video of the OLD one.

Drive a NSX first, see if its for you. You are on a NSX website people are going to be bias toward the NSX (except BATMAN). You need to decide for yourself.

The RX7 has a good resale value and is still a popular car. Easy sell if it is as clean as your picks depict.

From what RX7 owners have told me there are fixes for the related issues you have with your car. If you like it, fix the car. If you're looking for a change check out an early model NSX just be sure you do your homework on whatever NSX you choose. Prime is an excellent source for info. (see Wiki)

BTW Nice RX7.

I don’t exactly need someone to talk me into this, I’ve pretty much settled on the decision. I just wanted to put a feeler out just in case I was missing something about what I expected out of a NSX. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
My max dollar would be 30. I don’t mind doing a little R&R, but I’m done with worrying about breaking a motor every time I want to step on it. <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
My current FD isn’t a problem child. It has a relatively safe tune, 435 whp @ 15 psi. Motor is 4 years old without a hiccup. That’s not to say that I don’t worry every time I get on it. <O:p></O:p>

Sounds like you have a good price point in the 30s. You'll find a nice one if you look a while. You will definitely not need to worry about the engine everytime you step on it - that's for sure! You should look at NSXstasy's ride. No - he's not paying me....lol. You are definitely into another type of car with the NSX. Good luck and I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!

I was a rotary junkie for many years. Back when a street port was the norm and you were the sh*t if you were rolling a peripheral port 13b. I will always love a good rotary from an Cosmo, R100, and the FD.

As I matured, so did my driving style. I'm no longer wanting to put down fast 1/4 miles but instead find much more joy at the track or the local Sunday canyon drive. Now i'm spending more on my suspension and stiffening braces vs. the HP stuff. All i'm saying is... maybe your taste will change.

The NSX is like fine wine as to where the FD is like a shot of some other goodness. Good luck. Nice FD.

To answer your question..yes sell the RX7 and get the NSX.

It seems you are already headed that way. You RX7 is gorgeous, but I feel once you find the "right" NSX, you won't be sorry.:biggrin:

It probably/def won't be as fast as your RX7...yet, but I still think you will be extremely happy you switched.

There are a lot of great members on here, and I'm sure if you asked you could go for a ride/drive in one.

Best wishes on your search.

Those are two of my favorite cars. I'd keep the RX-7 and get a NSX. You won't get too much out of a heavily modified RX-7 anyway.

I cannot believe BATMANs isn't ALL over this thread....:eek:

Welcome and as others will attest, you will never have remorse about buying a NSX.

Your RX7 is a really nice looking car. However, the realization that the "motor is 4 yrs old without a hiccup" is really telling. It's time to get into an NSX.

I cannot believe BATMANs isn't ALL over this thread....:eek:

Welcome and as others will attest, you will never have remorse about buying a NSX.

Batman is on this forum? Damn, I haven't talked to him in years. I used to BS with that old pervert in early 2000. How funny.

Batman is on this forum? Damn, I haven't talked to him in years. I used to BS with that old pervert in early 2000. How funny.

Yes that must be him......:wink:

BAHAHHA

He is one of the most Blocked primers of all time! :D .... he likes Peter North a lot LOLOLOL

Yeah bathman definitely has a thing for Peternorth. I have no problems with Batman.

BAHAHHA

He is one of the most Blocked primers of all time! :D .... he likes Peter North a lot LOLOLOL

Blocked? Got a list? The last person that "claimed" to have blocked me was Chopsjazz. Funny thing is that he responded to his "bat-signal" when I made the villiage idiot comment.

The rx7s that u beat were stock and/or tired.

Good thing ur nsx didn't run across my 430rwhp FD that had a sunroof, power steering and A/C.

U would have been a dot in my rear view mirror like a blood stain on a maxi-pad.

Last edited:

I dun recall u. Remind me.

And ithere might be a handful of people that is as smart as jimlab on this forum.

U'll be disappointed if u ask about advance mods like compression ratios, A/F ratios, ceramic coating, extrude honing, etc.

I like both and having now had both I can tell you my point of view. The Rx7 although rare isn't as rare as the nsx. To me with the way my rx7 was set up it handled about the same as my current nsx. I love the turbos that the car has stock, very little modding to do to increase the boost and stuff. The reliability cant be compared to the nsx. As we have seen one hit what, almost 400k miles. A rotary is good boosted to around 80k, 100k ish. The NSX does lack in power in my op for the price, thats why i plan to turbo eventually. It seems you are in the same boat my bro was in. Felt he was outgrowing the supercharged s2k he had and wanted a more prestigious car so bought an m3. Parts will run you more for the NSX, but overall the car is a show stopper. If you are looking for a more exotic super car that can hold its own in most situations, the NSX is the one. If on the other hand your still thinking of boosting a car to the limit and tracking it like no other then i would keep the rx7. Either way I love both cars and miss my old fd. The NSX is japans super car and I love having a car that holds that title.

Back