Headers Recommendation... ?

I'm very pleased with the performance of Cantrell Headers on my 91 and there were no fitment/installation issues. I'm thinking of buying their exhaust for the same reasons. Hope this helps.

i second that. The CC headers produced a significant difference when i had Larry install them. Only issue was extending the O2 sensor extensions a bit more. Im not sure if this issue was resolved yet but its a simple solder fix. I am pleased with their performance and sound.

I wouldn't put "cheapy" ebay headers on an 05 NSX ( or mine for that matter ) labor is too expensive if your having someone else do it. I see people complaining about Ebay M3 headers cracking all the time. If your doing the work yourself it's probably not that big a deal

Please tell me you did not take me seriously. :tongue: Do you really think I believe the $600 ebay header is as good as GT-Rom's F1? :eek: I'm just trying to see if DJ will give me some sort of credit anyway I can buy more GT-Rom parts with.

i second that. The CC headers produced a significant difference when i had Larry install them. Only issue was extending the O2 sensor extensions a bit more. Im not sure if this issue was resolved yet but its a simple solder fix. I am pleased with their performance and sound.

Glad to hear that. Just FYI, I got new, NTK O2 sensors installed (with extensions) and there were no issues reg. extending. They work great and are cheap (from sparkplugs.com).

Hi, I'd like to know if the 1997 stock headers put out more HP than 91-96 headers? I know that the 2002+ NSX has more HP due to the 3 to 1 set up. The 97's also have this set up. Is there any differences in the headers from 2002 and 97's? Please anyone chime in on those that know.

Thanks,

GAR123:cool:

Last year I got in on the GB for the Cantrell headers. I finally go then installed a few weeks ago.
I'm very happy. I did notice a increase in power a little higher in rev band. Bottom end about same. Sound is more subdued at highway speeds that stock manifolds. DEFINTELY can tell when VTEC engages.
my .02

Please tell me you did not take me seriously. :tongue: Do you really think I believe the $600 ebay header is as good as GT-Rom's F1? :eek: I'm just trying to see if DJ will give me some sort of credit anyway I can buy more GT-Rom parts with.

Don't worry, I got your back! As soon as we come out with something new you'll know!

Sos only way to go. That what I have.

I have the same setup the sound and power is great.

I have a 92 and the power/torque increase was a very noticeable.

The welds are tight very well built fit is excellent.

It’s a easy job to do I installed them myself

Will adding aftermarket headers affect the emissions of the car? I have to get the car smog checked in CA - So should I do this b4 I buy headers? I think I have it narrowed down to the SoS ones (if they are still available) or the Cantrell Concepts headers... thoughts? thx!

having headers will not effect emissions. Only thing you would have to worry about is passing visiual. But if you know people that do smog then passing the visual is not a big deal

Last year I got in on the GB for the Cantrell headers. I finally go then installed a few weeks ago.
I'm very happy. I did notice a increase in power a little higher in rev band. Bottom end about same. Sound is more subdued at highway speeds that stock manifolds. DEFINTELY can tell when VTEC engages.
my .02

So if there is only a little bit of power up high and really none at the other parts of the rev band, what makes them worth buying? :confused:

So if there is only a little bit of power up high and really none at the other parts of the rev band, what makes them worth buying? :confused:

Just FYI I had GTLW exhaust installed at the same time as Cantrell headers and together I feel they improved power across the rev band. I did not get my car Dyno'd but I think SOS website has Dyno results posted.

My impression is that the after market exhaust provides more HP in the upper range (6000+ rpm) where the flow volume increases. However, I've heard that some actually loses torque or HP in the lower end.

So on the daily commute, you will probably just get more noise from the after market exhaust, which does give an impression that your car is going faster. :biggrin:

Ok.. I have some questions.. ( I'm Swedish so please bear with my sometimes poor English.. )

I already done a search on the forum and read all the treads about headers, but I still have some questions.. :)

What do I want ?
I want good quality with a fairly good price tag.. :)
All the ones I found cost roughly the same except the one from Fujitsubo witch is way out of my price range... ( read about 3k $ :eek: )
So, in my list below the price is not important..

And here are the list of Headers that I'm thinking of.. ( if anyone knows any more, please let me know.. :) )

Science of Speed Header System 1 320$
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/NSX_headers
claimed HP: 20+

Cantrell Concepts Advanced Headers 1 395$
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/Cantrell_Concepts/Advanced_Headers
Claimed HP: 24-26 hp

TAITEC Headers 1 490$
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...oducts/NSX/TAITEC/exhaust_headers/default.asp
Claimed HP: 22,6 ( with Taitec parallel exhaust )

DC Sports SS NSX headers: Satin SS: 1995-2005 1 532$
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1705
Claimed HP: ??

Headers - Stainless Steel (95-99 NSX) 1,499 $
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/220011.html
Claimed HP: 18 hp. gain at the wheels

So...:

DC Sports: I have read that the DC headers aren't the best quality, that some of them have cracked... thats not good.. :(

Comptech: I read they went out of business ??

So that leaves SOS, Cantrell and TAITEC...

Pleeeeese help me with input about them so I can choose.. :redface:

Ohh.. forgot to ask.. In th the FAQ there is info about a "RM Racing" but I cant find any info about them..
Anybody knows something about them ??

Contact Brian at Nopi and see if he has some Comptech ones left. He had given me a great price (I mean GREAT) and you can't beat Comptech quality. If that is not available, then I'd get the Cantrell from SOS.

I bought te e-bay cheapy headers and a flowmaster muffler. Fit and finish were AWESOME, and powe difference was VERY noticeable!!!!!!! JUST b/c some will drop 3000$ on a set of headers, doesn't make them $2400 better than the $600 ebay ones!

Amen.

Does anyone know if the area of common breakage with this design of headers should be accessable with a welder without pulling it off?

Amen.

Does anyone know if the area of common breakage with this design of headers should be accessable with a welder without pulling it off?

I am sorry, but if you think a $600 e-bay header is just as good as a $3K Fujitsubo or GT-One, then you really don't know what you are talking about. Not saying a $600 ebay one can't be good, but its not the same by any means.

Amen.

I don't think so but ask titaniumdave

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33707

You could always get the 95 ones with the adapter pipes from SOS, but by then your in for ~$1K, so you might as well get the SOS or Cantrells. Thats what I would do...but I am debating going turbo which seems to render the header useless as all the aftermarket designs have their own manifolds.

are we talking about fit, finish, build quality, HP numbers?

yes, that is exactly what we are talking about. Please examine the GT-One header closely and you will see that it is nothing like a $600 e-bay header in terms of design, collectors, parts quality, flow, sound, or HP numbers.

I am not saying there are never aftermarket parts with a fancy name that are overpriced. But the GT-One is a superior header. Whether the extra dollars are worth it to you is a personal call, but they are definitely not the same.

Nopi is out of Comptech's.
Trying to get quote from SOS on headers, but doesnt seem to get any sign of life from overthere ;)

At the risk of asking a REALLY dumb question...

Why would you NOT replace the exhaust (from stock) if you put in a set of headers... SOS or Cantrell?

Thanks. Terrence

At the risk of asking a REALLY dumb question...

Why would you NOT replace the exhaust (from stock) if you put in a set of headers... SOS or Cantrell?

Thanks. Terrence

Probably because some people are doing it in pieces, due to budget, as an exhaust cost $1200+ and headers cost $1300+.

Based on the design of the early OEM exhaust manifolds I would say you would get more HP out of changing headers than changing the exhaust. HOWEVER the headers are lot bigger pain in the...to change out, and if you are not doing it yourself I think its around $500-$800 labor.

Back