Have you ever feel like you just spent lots of money on

I hope you get the NSX. The smile on your face and joy when you first drive it home is unforgettable. The only real regret you'll have is if you sell it. I sold my 92 back in 2006 and I have missed that car every day. Since I'm closing on a house in March, I sold my daily driver 03 Lexus GS430 for some extra cash and down payment, so I have no car right now. Once I close I'm seriously in the market for another NSX. It's only me and my son now since I'm recently divorced, so I figure why the heck not. I daily drove my previous NSX for a while, so I know I can manage with just the NSX.

-
* Watch out for rebuilt titles in Florida. *
-
Not saying this applies in the case of the car you are considering

Just be certain to inspect the title and paperwork as thoroughly as the car

Best of luck in your search and purchase

Slow depreciation, exotic looks, exotic sound, rarity, reliability, good mpg, decently practical, mid-rear configuration, modding potential... what's to regret?!

I never once thought to myself that I regret buying an NSX, but I have wished I would have bought a newer one from time to time. Just buy the newest one you can afford --they do cost more to maintain than a "normal" sports car but no other car offers it's particular combination of positive attributes.

IMO, the TB/WP is not that bad but the clutch has been the most expensive maintenance item for me. If you can get one with these services recently completed then you should be in good shape.

Another thing is that "financing" maintenance costs is expensive, while financing a newer car is far less costly and much smarter. Paying more up front will save you money --I've spent more on my car in maintenance and modding than I would have if I had just purchased a newer one, AND I will never get that money back whereas a newer car will have higher resale if you decided to sell it. Plus, there are far fewer later model year cars available than the early cars if you look at production numbers. I personally would take a newer car with high miles over an older car with low miles because the cars that sit end up with more problems anyways.

Last edited:
It is the only 20 year old car that I can compare to a 20 year old girl. Both on a middle aged mans "want" list.:biggrin: And yes, both will cost to upkeep.

LOL :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It's like he's still tempting me! The ebay auction hasn't been de-listed yet.

LOL, he de-listed it but re-listed it after i asked to take the car to an acura dealer, he then explained that he didnt want to have the sale contigent to passing an dealer inspection, i then explained to him that all i wanted is a person that know the nsx to tell me if thr engine is good, is not overheating and that the clutch is fine, other than that i know its a 11yrs old car and i know that during the first year i will invest money on it , just dont want to invest it next week :)

Im looking for flghts now to go and pick it up

I have 3 car faxes left till march something. Let me know if you want a car fax for it.

Edit: Oh I see a carfax on it already.

Last edited:
LOL, he de-listed it but re-listed it after i asked to take the car to an acura dealer, he then explained that he didnt want to have the sale contigent to passing an dealer inspection, i then explained to him that all i wanted is a person that know the nsx to tell me if thr engine is good, is not overheating and that the clutch is fine, other than that i know its a 11yrs old car and i know that during the first year i will invest money on it , just dont want to invest it next week :)

Im looking for flghts now to go and pick it up

In one respect I understand the seller's concern. I had minor work done to my car at my car Acura Dealership. As part of the work they did as standard inspection and they provided me with a list of recommended work. When I took my car to my normal independent NSX mechanic, he determined that many of the dealer’s recommendations were very conservative and in one instance was in error. So, if I were selling my car, I would prefer that a local trusted NSX mechanic perform the PPI to get a more realistic evaluation.

An old car.....
First let me tell you that i've being searching a nsx for a long time, being a member of this board for 2 years now and just love the car.

But now that I'm on the verge of buying one I now wonder if when i pay the money and drive back i will be thinking about the age of the car and the condition, its a 96 with maintanance records but with a little fading paint and scratches and rockchips, so the seat bolster is worn .. I dont now if you guys will understand my concern because most of you already have a nsx but all im asking is if you felt a little weird spending the money on a car that needed inmediate attention

Thanks for all your help

I have had 3 NSXs, and my current one I have had for approximately 10 years and love it. Today I drove it for work and as I watched person after person crane their neck to see it as I went by (and one kid RAN to his friend's truck at the gas station to point at my car as I went by), I was reminded how special and unique this car is. Mine is a 1994 with over 173,700 miles on it and still stops traffic. All that with Honda reliability. So, with regards to this car costing a lot of money, it really doesn't for what you get. It is all perspective.

Good luck! Sounds like you're decided Hope it works out! I think its still a topic worth discussing in general though as it tends to come up a lot and I think it will only come up more in the future.

The NSX is a classic car. I think with the NSX it was SO far ahead of its time, it took a long while for it to really *feel* like a classic car. But fact is, it is.

Not everyone can *really* "do" a classic car. For many (most?) its the kind of thing best fantasized about, but not experienced.

For others, its exactly what the doctor ordered. Hence there is still a market for Testarossas, Boxers, Dinos, 993s, 962s, XKEs, etc.

As soon as someone starts comparing a classic against any current model on a dollar basis, it is a warning flag to me. You dont consider a Jag XKE and then say "hmmm... but I could have a new M6!" If you find yourself saying that, then you must *run* from the XKE.

Classic cars, even *more* than new "toy" cars, are about emotion. It isn't rational. You buy a Countach because your whole life you worked towards buying it and now you can. Or you owned one in 1985, let it go, and never forgot it. You dont buy a Countach because suddenly you can just about afford one because they devalued enough and you think a Corvette is "too plain".

I tell almost everyone who asks that they shouldnt even begin to think about considering any classic car. Reason? If they *should*, they'd never be asking. These cars are old and getting older. They break and wear out. They are expensive to fix. The NSX is better in some ways, but physics are physics and economics are economics. An NSX was never a "knock around" car, much less now 20 years later. Part of the fun of these cars has to be keeping them alive, becoming part of the community of fellow lunatics who keep them alive, meeting in the summer with like minded folks and shooting the shit, showing them at shows, etc.

Last edited:
None of us can promise you that you will feel the same way we did, but I hope hearing some of the other experiences might put your mind at ease.

I can tell you that on my flight down to West Palm to buy mine I started feeling buyers remorse. I got there wondering how I can get out of the deal. I got in the car for a test drive and when I came back I was hoping the sale went though without any surprises.

Its a 14 year old car, and no it isnt 100 percent perfect... but I can tell you, on my 1300 mile trip home I felt great. So many people speeding up to take a peek at you... when you stop for gas everyone coming over to see the Ferrari.. and then you get to tell them that its a 14 year old honda and see the puzzled look on their face!

Yes, you can buy a new Evo 10, or maybe even a used z06. This isnt about the speed. Its about the NSX itself. I can tell you that I sneak a peek in the garage several times a week just to see my baby waiting for spring. and take her out every chance I get in the mean time.

Will you feel buyers remorse? probably not! But if you do, it isn't a new car, you can always sell it for the exact same amount you got it for next month! Unless you get taken for a ride on your purchase. What is the asking price?

Jason

The NSX was the most frivilous (big ticket) purchase I have ever made. That being said, I have never had the slightest buyer's remorse.

To me it is a timeless beauty. Honda made an incredible statement with the NSX.

Love the car and it will love you back,

Matt

Love the comments!!!
I just bought the flight and called The guy that does inspections in orlando and he told me that he is not open on saturday but that he can go to the shop just to do this car, awesome!!!!

Some years ago I was in the market for an NSX but ended up with an E36 M3 instead because I couldn't afford a nice NSX.

Now that I've sold my M3, I am in the market for a sports car again. While I still like the NSX, it's hard to find one in good condition. When there is one, the price is expensive enough that, like the OP, I hesitate to spend that much money on an "old" car. Therefore I've been thinking about buying a used E46 M3 or step up and get a Porsche 911. However I keep coming back to this site to look at the NSX and wondering if I should spend the money and buy a good NSX instead. The NSX doesn't depreciate much anymore, so maybe I can drive it for a few years and then trade for a 911. Don't know yet..

I've sit in an NSX as a passenger and I felt like I sat in a bath tub. Is sitting and driving in an NSX a problem for a short driver? I am only 5'5", so I am afraid I am not tall enough to look over the hood when I sit in the bathtub :-)

I tell almost everyone who asks that they shouldnt even begin to think about considering any classic car. Reason? If they *should*, they'd never be asking. These cars are old and getting older. They break and wear out. They are expensive to fix. The NSX is better in some ways, but physics are physics and economics are economics. An NSX was never a "knock around" car, much less now 20 years later. Part of the fun of these cars has to be keeping them alive, becoming part of the community of fellow lunatics who keep them alive, meeting in the summer with like minded folks and shooting the shit, showing them at shows, etc.

Great post, can't improve on that. I tell people I got mine 40% to drive it and 60% to wrench it, and it's the truth. There ain't a lot of them. I've laid under all sorts of other Hondas wondering "why am I doing this?" You never have to ask that with an NSX.

Some years ago I was in the market for an NSX but ended up with an E36 M3 instead because I couldn't afford a nice NSX.

Now that I've sold my M3, I am in the market for a sports car again. While I still like the NSX, it's hard to find one in good condition. When there is one, the price is expensive enough that, like the OP, I hesitate to spend that much money on an "old" car. Therefore I've been thinking about buying a used E46 M3 or step up and get a Porsche 911. However I keep coming back to this site to look at the NSX and wondering if I should spend the money and buy a good NSX instead. The NSX doesn't depreciate much anymore, so maybe I can drive it for a few years and then trade for a 911. Don't know yet..

I've sit in an NSX as a passenger and I felt like I sat in a bath tub. Is sitting and driving in an NSX a problem for a short driver? I am only 5'5", so I am afraid I am not tall enough to look over the hood when I sit in the bathtub :-)

I'm also 5' - 5" and have no problem with front visibility whatsoever. Over the shoulder views of the blind areas are somewhat impeded, but I have learned to position my mirrors to resolve the problem. The NSX has great forward visibility.

I'm the same height, and I feel NSX has best visibility of all the sport/sporty cars I've driven. The G35 coupe, Evo X, Mustang were definitely bath tub like.

I'm 5'4", maybe 5' 3.5", and I have had absolutely no problem driving the NSX. It is near perfect. With the mirrors adjusted right, I have had practically no blind slots with the NSX. Visibility is awesome, aside from directly behind you through the small rear window. Anyway, the seats have so much adjustability in then that even I could position the seat too close to the steering wheel to drive. Anyone taller than me should have no problem driving and NSX.

I'm 5-9 and I can't see the pavement in front of the car or even the front bumper - I don't think anyone can.

I understand the issue with cost on cars - the bimmers depreciate like a rock - and so you can always get an M3 for a good price that is fairly new. You can't get a similar year NSX for that kind of money - no it's going to be twice as much for an 05 NSX than an 05 M3. Something like that giver or take 5k or so. So you end up going further back in time - that worried me a bit - but the NSX is not something that will bite you in the arse! Or like a 996 or 997 could bite you - hard in the arse if you had the IMS issue pop you. There is an aftermarket fix for that but.....how much do you know about 911s - I know a lot about them and every one of them has an issue with the model - some bigger than others. Just becuase you can afford a 2003 or so 911 doesn't mean something might not happen - something big and expensive - which is why I'm in an NSX.

What I mean by that is that if you can afford 35k you can have a really nice NSX - one that will not beat you up. If that is your top budget number then buy one around 30k and save the 5k back for fixing some things. There are really good ones out there in that general price range and you could get very lucky. I can be more specific Ric if you'd like.

All I can say is if you are really serious about the NSX - then you need to do a lot of reading here on prime and just hang out for 6 mos. before you make a real beginning to your search. I tell you - you can learn a whole lot that will serve you very well when making a purchase! Ask questions, keep watching the market, keep reading prime - and in about 6 mos. you will have a good idea about what to do. Don't be in a rush! That is a sure fire way to get in a mess.

Back