Has any NSX owner tinted the front windshield?

I've seen a lot of Lambo Gallardo owners tint the entire glass to give it a "black canopy" look. I find the windshield of our cars are quite large and lets in a lot of sun during the day. I usually use my sun visor but was thinking of just doing a VERY LIGHT tint across the entire windshield using the cool silver tint film to reflect sunlight and keep the dash board mint.

Has anyone done this on a black interior? Will it be too dark?

rick

Mine is tinted (from day 1)
The tint is light enough to get that "is that tinted or not?" question. No problems at all at night. Actually, with all the zenon headlights and fake ones blazing at me, it's easier to see without the glare from oncoming headlights. Come to think of it, every car I own (including the motorhome) has the windshield tinted. My only suggestion would be to get the lightest tint available.
My cop friend did his medium and you can't even see in it at all :eek:

Tint's optical clarity isn't THAT good, and at night you'll be a danger... oh, and it's illegal...

Cops :rolleyes:

I guess you better make sure that it's a perfect job. It's one think if your rear hatch or side windows start to bubble or peel.. but if your windshield starts? :eek:

I just hadmmine tinted with a special 70% tint that lowers interior temp significantly during hot days. The tint is so light you can't really tell it's there but it really cools down theninterior.

I just hadmmine tinted with a special 70% tint that lowers interior temp significantly during hot days. The tint is so light you can't really tell it's there but it really cools down theninterior.

The main reason I do mine is the heat rejection. The motorhomes windshield is so big, it was like being in a big fishbowl. Dramatice decrease in interior temps with the tint. Asthetics are nice, as long that it is done perfectly :biggrin:

Mine has 30% on the front. It is awesome in the summer sun- the interior stays cool and you don't need sungalsses! :biggrin: Drove to LarryB's and back without getting stopped. However, my cop friends tell me NY cops WILL stop and ticket for ANY tint on the front windshield, so I'm reluctantly going to have it removed. :frown:

Can you tell us what percent did you get? Sounds like you have the right % number if you have it even lighter than your cop friend. By the way what percent is your cop friends tint? Just trying to get an idea.

Mine is tinted (from day 1)
The tint is light enough to get that "is that tinted or not?" question. No problems at all at night. Actually, with all the zenon headlights and fake ones blazing at me, it's easier to see without the glare from oncoming headlights. Come to think of it, every car I own (including the motorhome) has the windshield tinted. My only suggestion would be to get the lightest tint available.

I can't remember the web site at this time but one solar film manufacturer has a spreadsheet that shows by state the restrictions on color, % transmitted light, and f/r windshield and side windows. I remember the front windshield tint being allowed in Texas (6 inches maybe??). I'll post again once I find it

Rick,

If your only real concern is heat rejection and keeping the dash in good condition, there are window films that can achieve this without any appreciable darkening of the glass. If you want the added bling of a full canopy look, then it's a judgment call based on your tastes and you should just do what you want.

Many on Prime are concerned about resale value so if you're one of those types, you should consider that as well.

But really this is all a moot point because you don't take your car out often enough for sunlight to cause any UV damage:biggrin:

J

So what percent tint do you guys think looks good and probably won't get you noticed by the law? I just want the slightest tint so when I go to Vegas, AZ,etc I don't feel like a frying fish in the tank from the front?

any type of tint is illegal in most states here in the US. the only ones that can be tinted are rear windows and rear side windows. driver/passenger side windows and the front windshield are illegal to tint for safety reasons we all know. cops notice tint, but isn't a big concern unless noted otherwise.

any type of tint is illegal in most states here in the US. the only ones that can be tinted are rear windows and rear side windows. driver/passenger side windows and the front windshield are illegal to tint for safety reasons we all know. cops notice tint, but isn't a big concern unless noted otherwise.

Thats clear, I think we all know that its illegal. But what I am asking is does, Anytime or 02#154 or anyone else what % tint did the people you know do thiers?

No, that's way too long away. Next week would be better, no? :biggrin:

Your right but its getting cold now so I don't need it till spring and the car need some many more mods:biggrin: Type R this, Type R that, Race seats, Suede interior, New RE-30 wheels,on and on my friend...I am addicted:redface:

Quality tint applied by a skilled professional will never bubble, peel, or turn purple. But tinting the entire front window in any state is illegal. Just like anything, it's ENTIRELY up to the cops discretion to ticket you or not, and how harsh to be. The cop can get away with it because he's a cop--the same rules do not apply to you. If you live in a hot state though, it's less likely that the cops will care (except in Cali).

I had the windshield on my accord tinted (light) with limo on the sides and back, it was very hard to see into the car. But I found it was actually easier to see at night because there was less contrast from the sides to the front.

Quality tint applied by a skilled professional will never bubble, peel, or turn purple. But tinting the entire front window in any state is illegal. Just like anything, it's ENTIRELY up to the cops discretion to ticket you or not, and how harsh to be. The cop can get away with it because he's a cop--the same rules do not apply to you. If you live in a hot state though, it's less likely that the cops will care (except in Cali).

I had the windshield on my accord tinted (light) with limo on the sides and back, it was very hard to see into the car. But I found it was actually easier to see at night because there was less contrast from the sides to the front.

You think cops dont care about tint in CA? really?

My car came with tint on the windshield when I bought it.. As you can see you can't even see me in the day with it on.. Night driving was dangerous also, so I pulled it out as soon as possible.

1DSCN0032-0.jpg

My car came with tint on the windshield when I bought it.. As you can see you can't even see me in the day with it on.. Night driving was dangerous also, so I pulled it out as soon as possible.

I know your car and the person who tinted it. It looked great and kept the heat levels down inside during the day. However, at night it was a little difficult to see because it made the car much darker on the inside.

Thats clear, I think we all know that its illegal. But what I am asking is does, Anytime or 02#154 or anyone else what % tint did the people you know do thiers?

The stuff I'm talking about is not listed as "tint". It's a window film but it was intended to be clear with no darkening at all, though in practice it was just barely noticeable. If you didn't know it was there, you'd never find out on your own and then you'd never think it was tinted unless you compared back to back against a window without the film on it. It was not installed on the cars I saw it on for the purpose of darkening at all. It was only for the heat rejection and UV blocking. After installing it, you could roll down the windows and feel the difference (I had it installed on front windshield and front passenger windows).

The guy that did it for me actually only usually does commercial buildings but he did a favor for me and my sister. Sadly, I was introduced to him by my sister and I never noted his contact info so I have not done it to my current cars. But I'm sure someone out there has the same film.

J

Back