Got HOME THEATER?

Thanks for looking into it Michigan.
I would really like to see the stuff that you've done. Do you have a website that posts some pics of finished products?
I wish you were local so that I can get some aspect of the NSX involved in any project that I do ;-)
My beau and I are heading over to Laserland within the next hour. They have the latest DLP, and theatre furniture available. Unfortunately, those seats are like $2k to $3k each, so they are not going to be feasible if we are trying to maximize the number of guests with the size of the room (not to mention the ridiculous price of these things). One of the salesmen promised to demo for us the latest DLP, so I'm really excited to see what this one is about.
Take care,
J.

[This message has been edited by Yawwn (edited 13 September 2002).]

Originally posted by Yawwn:
Hi Michigan,...I plan to make risers so that the second and third rows will be progressively higher to clear the heads of the row in front (I guess it's referred to as stadium seating).

Good for you! Make sure there is adequate space between the rows of seats (usually 24" to 36") so that people can move up and down the rows and your guests can stretch their legs occasionally. Make sure the risers are at least 6" to 8" tall and remember to put steps that aren't too tall in the aisleways (or use a ramp). Also, if you are building the house from scratch, consider digging the front and second rows deeper than the back row rather than building risers. That way the floor level of the Theater is the highest point and you walk down to get to your seats. Very "Theatrical".

I'm getting the theatre seats that are bolted to the floor, attached together, but divided by cup holders.

We usually recommend in a large home theater (and yours would qualify for a large room with potentially 18 seats) a combination of "Theater Seats" and some sort of lounge chairs/sofa. The better seats are usually where the homeowner will sit and we refer to that as the "money seat". The home theater experienced should be optimized for this/these seat(s). After all, who is going to use the theater more than you? Plus comfort is of paramount importance for the homeowners as they will be spending many more hours in the seats than any guests. We have done Theaters where the "money seat" is in the first, second or third row/tier. It all depends on your room dimensions. Also, I would recommend against 3 rows of 6 seats. Ideally you want to stagger the seats, not line them up, so that the person behind is naturally looking BETWEEN two people (not AROUND one). If you wish to do all Theater type seating, go with a front row of 6, second row of 5, and the third row of 6. Even though the third row will line up with the first there will be TWO tiers in between them, which should alleviate any sightline problems.

In addition, the projector may be mounted a little over two-thirds the height of the room on the far wall from the screen. This hopefully will clear the peoples' heads, as well as a fan, if I decide to mount one.

Remember, you dont have infinite flexibility with regard to the given screen size a projector can fill from any distance. The projector will have something called a "throw distance" specified by the manufacturer. This will tell you how big a picture you can get from mounting the projector a given distance from the screen (think of it as a slide projector). Also, most projectors have a maximum screen size they can fill with good-to-excellent picture quality. This can be much smaller than indicated by the projector's marketing literature (for instance, one manufacturer I deal with claims their projector can "shoot" a 400" diagonal picture - but in reality, for this projector, anything over 100" and the picture quality and brightness goes downhill fast). There is also screen size to deal with. You don't want the screen to be so large that it overwhelms you and so small that the "Theatrical feel" is lost. Screen size is determined by the seating distance to the "money seats". Talk to your designer about the proper screen size for your room. Once the screen size has been determined, then you will know how far back you can mount your projector. If your theater is 30' deep (which is not huge for a 3-rows-of-seats theater) you can pretty much forget mounting it on the back wall. That is why I said earlier that the vast majority of projectors sold are ceiling mounted. This is also why I recommended a dedicated Air Conditioning zone for the theater. With 2 ceiling fans and a projector, your ceiling can begin to look "busy" very quickly. You don't want the ceiling clutter, the distraction of the spinning fans, or the noise they will create. (I don't ever recall seeing ceiling fans in a movie theater).

...or behind the motorized drop down screen?

If this is a dedicated theater (as you imply with the seating), I would recommend AGAINST a motorized screen. A screen on the wall does not look out of place in a theater. Also, figure on spending about TWICE what a normal screen would cost for motorization. If you are going to watch a lot of conventional TV (4:3 aspect ratio) as well as widescreen movies I have 2 recommendations. Plan "A" calls for a 16:9 format widescreen with motorized "masking panels". These electric panels (made out of black material) are lowered when watching 4:3 programs and are electronically raised when you switch to widescreen programming. These panels will be supplied by your screen company (for a charge). Plan "B" would be to use a 16:9 format widescreen and use motorized curtains to control the width of the viewable picture. Notice that both of these options call for a non-motorized widescreen (called a fixed screen). With the motorized curtains option you can even program the curtains to close all the way when you are done. It can be very dramatic when, beginning a movie, your lights dim and the curtains open to reveal the screen (very "Hollywood" & very cool) and the lights raise and the curtain closes at the end.

I'm still deciding how and where to place the equipment. Should I have it in the rear of the room, nearby the bathroom below the projector, or in another room, or behind the motorized drop down screen?

I vote for in the rear of the room. Any associated equipment noise will be minimized and any displays or blinking lights will not distract from the picture on the screen. If you keep it in the room you will not have to leave your theater in order to put in new DVDs, CDs or Videocassettes.

Should it be flush with the wall, or placed on a rack. I prefer having it flush. Again, questions for the consultant, but if you have any thoughts on the matter, it would be much appreciated.

Regarding the equipment rack, there are 3 things that are important.

1. Appearance
2. Accessability to the equipment
3. Ventilation of the Equipment

Regarding #1, I also like the look of flush mounted equipment, and the BEST way to go with that is a rack from a company called Middle Atlantic. Their rack is the ones you see in all of the showcase theaters in the magazines (Audio Video Interiors especially). Their racks have shelves for all the equipment pieces and they make custom frames for all the electronics that bolt on to the face of the cabinet. This rack isn't cheap however. Figure $4k to $5k for a good size rack. Another advantage of this rack is that it pulls out so you can get access to the rear of the components. Another company that I deal with is called AVRAK (www.avrak.com). They make equipment racks that pull out and spin or racks that just spin in place to allow rear access. However you would lose the "flush mount" appearance. The only way I would put equipment, in a room of this caliber, on shelves would be if I had rear access provided (like a door on the back of the cabinet that you can access from another room). If you go this route, you can have your cabinet builder make you a custom faceplate for the shelves. The only drawback is that if you ever change a component you will have to get a new faceplate designed.

Regarding #2, I pretty much said everything in the above. Don't think this is a light concern. Without accessability you installer will have a MUCH worse time repairing or upgrading your components (do you really want to pay $900 in labor to swap a $200 VCR into the system?)

Regarding #3, ventilation is also a MUST! The number one enemy of electronics is heat. The more you keep away from your components, the better they will perform and the longer they will last.

Is that enough for you to get started on? I didn't touch on lighting control, lighting design, speaker layout, NSX theme integration, or a host of other things for fear of boring you with a huge post (not that this is short by any means, but I could go on for hours about this stuff. It is my job, hobby, and passion)

Again, Good Luck in your project and please feel free to ask any more questions I may be able to help with.
smile.gif

P.S. I hope I didn't come off sounding like I have a "Holier than thou" attitude. I just have strong opinions on a lot of this stuff.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 13 September 2002).]

I went out and got all this stuff then had twins now my wife wont even let me listen to it!
Toshiba 71 inch Hdtv cinema series
Denon avr 5700
Paradigm monitor 9s
Paradigm studio 80s
Paradigm lcr 450 center
Paradigm servo 15 sub
Paradigm servo 12 sub
Paradigm adp 450 surround
Toshiba dst 3000 hd dss system
Toshiba dvd player 2 disc (paid to much)
Denon hifi vcr
Lutron remote lights and shades
Dream cast/X box/Ps2

Its a starter kit compared to Michigan NSXs

New thread for me but here goes.

Sharp z-9000 DLP
Faroudja NRS 16x9 video processor
Dalite Cinema Vision Screen
Krell HTS audio-video processor
Krell KAV-500 amplifier
Theta DaVid DVD player
RCA DTC-100 HDTV DSS
Monster Cable Power Center
Alot of Better Cables cables
Kimber cable speaker wire (8VS)
Infinity Prelude MTS 5 channel surround which includes 2 powered subs

MICHIGAN NSX, are you ISF certified to setup the color on my Sharp DLP?

Tim

Originally posted by jorligan:
....MICHIGAN NSX, are you ISF certified to setup the color on my Sharp DLP?

Tim

I am not ISF certified but we have an ISF certified technician on our staff. For info on the company I am a subcontractor for, go here.

BTW Tim, cool equipment choices!

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by kgb_agent:
How does an amp sound warm??

Please don't open that can of worms. There are more wierd descriptive phrases regarding audio than cars! (ever heard "peanut buttery midrange" - I have).

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
Please don't open that can of worms. There are more wierd descriptive phrases regarding audio than cars! (ever heard "peanut buttery midrange" - I have).

Kinda like that Chardonnay I was looking at earlier today. To paraphrase, they wrote that it had a "pear core with a hint of pinnapple. An apple taste that lasts through a buttery finish..." I thought I was at the produce section. Geez, I buy that wine all the time but never have tasted ANY of those flavors...

[This message has been edited by kgb_agent (edited 13 September 2002).]

kgb_agent,

I didn't see anything in your original quote regarding a "full bodied bouquet". Did I miss something?
confused.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

kgb_agent,

I didn't see anything in your original quote regarding a "full bodied bouquet". Did I miss something?
confused.gif

No, I was just giving another wine comparison as oppsosed to your peanut butter one for speakers.

I would mention pink noise, but I don't want to stir up this crowd of audiophiles.

Originally posted by jorligan:
New thread for me but here goes.

Sharp z-9000 DLP
Faroudja NRS 16x9 video processor
Dalite Cinema Vision Screen
Krell HTS audio-video processor
Krell KAV-500 amplifier
Theta DaVid DVD player
RCA DTC-100 HDTV DSS
Monster Cable Power Center
Alot of Better Cables cables
Kimber cable speaker wire (8VS)
Infinity Prelude MTS 5 channel surround which includes 2 powered subs

MICHIGAN NSX, are you ISF certified to setup the color on my Sharp DLP?

Tim

Jorligan,

You have a very nice projector. The Sharp is a step above my Cinema 12SF/Infocus LS110.

I'm curious, what made you decide on the Cinemavision? My projector has 1000 lumens and I'm opting for the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinemavision (silver colored screen) to help with the contrast levels. I wanted to get the Stewart Firehawk but just can't justify the BIG expense.

Oh yeah? Well I'll trade you TVs any day of the week!
biggrin.gif

As my wife keeps telling me SIZE doesnt matter! Is it the quality that counts?
biggrin.gif

Sorry,

I do have a high contrast Cinema vision which is the silver screen. I looked into getting a Firehawk screen but the delivery time was 4-6 weeks and it cost significantly more.

In deference to Michigan NSX, I too use to be "in the biz" and it is how I worked my way through school. I got my screen through the internet; 58x104 Cinema Contour screen with the Pro Trim. This is almost identical to the Stewart screen with the Velux trim.

I would also recommend that you get your screen from the dealer if you need any setup but otherwise, you can save money by buying online. ($1329 delivered).

Hey Jorligan
do tou have any problems with your RCA hd reciver? When I added a hd video converter
I now get gray bars insted of black .

I have to ask a question about HDTV. I have a phillip 16:9 Flatscreen tv which is HDTV ready, now I have to buy the HDTV decoder to make it work. Does this HDTV only affect broadcasting networks or can I hook up my DVD through it to get a better picture? This is what I have asked many salespeople and they look at me crosseyed. If it is just for network watching I can do without but if it enhances the image from the DVD I will definitely get one. So does it help at all in the DVD setup?

In order for a TV to be called "HDTV" ready it has to be able to scan at least twice the normal rate of a conventional TV (to handle the higher resolution HDTV signals). The TV can apply this high speed scanning (also sometimes known as line doubling) to any signal fed to it, so it should make your DVDs look better than a conventional TV (though still not as good as a true HDTV broadcast). The company I have worked for has sold a LOT of HDTV ready sets to cutomers who only planned on using it for their DVDs.

P.S. There are satellite systems out there that show MOVIES in HDTV, so you are not limited to "network" programming.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Bill,

I posted your question over at the AVSforum to get feedback from the HDTV gurus.

If they ask questions about your set-up (or if you have other comments/questions), I'll serve as the middle-man between you and them and keep pasting the dialogue back and forth.

Guys thank you so much. I have invested over $15,000 in my home theatre setup. There is nothing better than feeling like you are actually part of the movie. I have the following
Phillips 16:9 34in TV--great screen with excellent picture
Denon 5803--IMO the best receiver and able to handle all my video inputs
Phillips DVD player--just got it,progressive scan
As well as a couple of DVD recorders,and the rest of the hifi setup.
For speakers I have a 9.1 setup and use bose all around and the sound is absolutely amazing as well as an infinity subwoofer which makes the whole house tremble.

Another big problem I have is that I cannot rent DVDs so I end up buying them. I must have over a 1000dvds and almost as much Laserdiscs (were great until DVDs came into the scene. I was thinking about a plasma screen but heard way too much negative feedback on them and decided against. Not a great fan of rear projectors but never actually seen a front projector. This thread has begun to make me start looking at them with a different view. But unfortunately not many stores carry them around me (actually have never seen any stores) but maybe I havent looked hard enough. Thanks for all the info guys and Joel thank you.

try netflix. You can rent DVDs from them for a flat fee every month.
www.netflix.com

Tim

Back