Got HOME THEATER?

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm also into home electronics (translation = Home Theater!)

I recently shelled out a few $$$ on a home theater set up. Originally I was just going to get a simple TV with decent speakers for those Blockbuster Nights. But one item led to another and...well, you know how it goes. In the end, the whole thing turned into a buying spree. Caught the bug somehow and the "Gotta have this and gotta have that" mentality. Oh well, I deserve it.
smile.gif

First I was aiming at a Sony WEGA because I like the flat screens. My budget was around $1k at the time. It would have been my second WEGA until I got distracted by the Rear Projection TV's whenever I go into Circuit City or Good Guys. Then I started thinking, "Heck, why not go bigger? Gotta have a 57-incher!" So I looked into the Mitsubishi's and just like that my budget went up to $2k.

Couple of months into my research, I was flipping through a Home Theater magazine at Borders one night just to see what's out there, when I saw an ad for front projectors. I thought, "OMG! Look at the size of that picture!" We weren't talking about inches no more...we're talking about pictures measured in FEET! The picture on the ads they show come straight out of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and I thought, there's no way I can afford all that! Then I looked at the price range for a brand spankin' new front projector: $3k-$5k! No way! I can totally afford this!

To make a long story short, I bought a front projector and when I took it out of the box, I was like..."this is it?" The damn thing is barely bigger than a piece of paper! But when I fired it up, the picture was unbelievable. Now I have my own "movie theater" (in every sense of the word) under my own roof! Watching movies on an 8-foot-wide screen is no comparison to watching it on a dinky little television that's for sure.

And don't even get me started on playing GT3 on Playstation2 and Halo on Xbox. OMG! Talk about LIFE SIZE.

Not too long afterwards, I had to get speakers to give the rather large picture any justice. I went bargain hunting and finally settled for Klipsch speakers (Reference 3) and bought a complete set for $850! (For those not in-the-know, msrp on those puppies are over $2k) Hooked it up to my Progressive scan DVD player, Yamaha receiver and Polk Audio dual sub and I'm good to go! He he he.

As much as I love watching movies on it, I get a real kick out of watching the reactions of people when I invite them over for movies or game nites. Classic! As NSX owners, you would know all about that from watching people gawk at your cars all day long!
wink.gif

Anyway, that's my set up, what's yours?!

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 06 September 2002).]

That setup kicks much ass -

Makes my setup look pretty crappy
smile.gif

I have a 55" HDTV with a Boston Acoustics 5.1 setup.

Hrm, inferiority complex setting in... time to plan another trip to Magnolia HiFi
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 06 September 2002).]

Man, I wish I had Boston Acoustics! I LOVE those things! But can't afford the price tag.

I highly recommend the front projector route if you decide to upgrade (I don't work for any manufacturers nor do I get anything out of recommending in case you're wondering).

I will even go as far as to say that front projectors are the NSX's of the home theater world. Awesome performance at a bargain price!

For that really visceral theatre effect, good subs are a must. Suggest Sunfire or their Velodyne equivalents. Tiny boxes with amazing bass. Pretty good with music too, particularly the Velodynes.

Just a pretty straighforward setup. Nothing really fancy or hi-tech.
TV is a Sony 65" XBR II w/HDTV tuner (Gawd, SEC football games on CBS are gorgeous!! Can't wait for tomorrow!!), a basic Sony 5-disc progressive scan DVD changer, a middle of the road Sony 5.1 receiver, middle of the road Polk left/center/right speakers, an Infinity Sub, and some Niles in-ceiling speakers that I had put in when the house was being built.

------------------
1995 NSX-T
1999 3.2TL
2001 Odyssey
1992 SC400

[This message has been edited by FuryNSX (edited 06 September 2002).]

Joel I was looking into those front projectors and very curious into buying one. How does it work? What do you have to hook it up to? I was going to get a plasma screen but have heard lots a bad feedback on them. Everyone told me front projector is the way to go. Is the screen size adjustable? i have a great setup right now but its missing a bit on the tv side of things. Right now I have the phillips 16:9 widescreen which is great but looks a little puny after a while, color is great though. I have bose set up and it sounds great.

Joel,

Ahem...pictures? Hehe. Seriously though, could you perhaps show us a shot of a movie when you have the screen at a good resolution and size. Thanks.

I love your story Joel. Your budget went from 1k to (3k-5k).
biggrin.gif
I find nothing wrong with your splurge though as it is very obvious that you love your new setup. I am sure it will provide many years of enjoyment.

I would love to get a home theatre setup but alas, I do not have a wall in my flat that would house a screen as big as yours Joel.

2 JBL L7's Front
2 JBL L5's Center
2 NHT HDP2's Side Surround
2 JBL L3's Rear Surround
1 JBL L3 Center Surround for 7.1
5 Onkyo Grand Integra amps
1 Onkyo M588 for 7.1 Surround
Onkyo 989 Receiver using the preouts
Toshiba SD9200 DVD player Single disc
Mitsu 73" 16:9 HD
Velodyne HGS18
Salamander Audio rack components
A whole lot of Transparency speaker and Inter-connects.
My family watches alot of movies.

Runco 980 projector
Faroudja DVP-3000 scaler
Meridian 861 Digital sound controller
Martin logan fronts and center
Sonus faber rears
Stewert 16X9 screen
Bryston Amps
Velodyne Sub
Sony DvD
GI 4DTV
GI HDD2000 High Definition decoder

------------------
2002•Black/Black

Originally posted by NSX-00054:
Runco 980 projector
Faroudja DVP-3000 scaler
Meridian 861 Digital sound controller
Martin logan fronts and center
Sonus faber rears
Stewert 16X9 screen
Bryston Amps
Velodyne Sub
Sony DvD
GI 4DTV
GI HDD2000 High Definition decoder

Sweet!! I like the projector setup.
Which Bryston amps?
I have 2 3's For music.
Similar taste, don't we all.
Comptech SC/H/6spd 4:55 Short Gears
Thermal Exhaust/Eibachs/Koni's/ect.ect.ect.

[This message has been edited by len3.8 (edited 07 September 2002).]

I have:

Sony Wega 32 inch
Integra DTR 7.1
Paradigm CC330 center
Paradigm Monitor 7 as fronts
Paradigm ADP370 as side/rear
Pardigm Mini-Monitor as rear center

I really like the rear center channel, but not many movies take advantage of it.

Joel, What kind of font projector did you get? To get something decent, it looked like it woudl cost me about 8K. I want a DLP unit. I don't care for the old LCD's.

Originally posted by NetViper:
I have:

I really like the rear center channel, but not many movies take advantage of it.

I want a DLP unit. I don't care for the old LCD's.

True on the rear center, very hard to find media that supports it.
Waiting for DLP's to come down in price as well. Already got the draper motorized screen. Just waiting for a hot price on the DLP to present itself.
Len
n9s5x-t

I personally have never been a big fan of home entertainment systems because I don't turn the volume up on anything. i want to be able to keep my hearing when i am older. but i have to admit, a nice setup like joel's is definitely nice, but if i ever had one it would be just for window dressing.

Here is what i have:

36" Sony Wega
Xbox
Plastation II
Dreamcast
kareoke machine
dvd/vhs player

the sad part is that all the game machines are still in the boxes. might have put 3 hours max on each system. i wish i still enjoyed playing video games, cause it would save more money rather then golfing all the time.

Originally posted by khuezee:
I personally have never been a big fan of home entertainment systems because I don't turn the volume up on anything. i want to be able to keep my hearing when i am older.

You can damage your hearing with a lowly 100w/channel consumer system - the reason to get an accurate, high power system is so that you can handle transients without distortion. For example, if you play a good digital recording of the 1812 Overture or the Nutcracker at modest volumes, the cannon/rifle shots should sound real and in a really good system, you should be able to locate them spacially (at least laterally). You'd be amazed at how much better a properly set up hi-fi or home theatre sounds relative to the mid-fi consumer stuff like Bose, Polk, etc., even at modest volumes.

Originally posted by caz-nsx:
Home Theater was my first passion. Then came the NSX. I found out three years back that front projection was the way to go. You can't beat a 120" 16:9 screen for $3500.

Sony VPL-W400Q
Sony ES receiver, DVD, VCR
XBOX
Mirage speakers all around
OM6 in front, OM8 in the rear

Here is a couple of pics:
http://home.attbi.com/~jcaswell/house/inside/DCP_0636.JPG
http://home.attbi.com/~jcaswell/house/inside/DCP_0635.JPG

Is that a carver sub in the right corner of the first pic?

Probably a Velodyne HGS which is a knockoff of the Carver Sunfire sub. Though the Velodyne is copied, it is improved relative to the Carver/Sunfire, most importantly because of the closed loop servo for more accurate bass.

I am in the AV business, and frankly I can't tell you how many customers are buying certain equipement just because someone else said it sounded good, looked good, or performed well.

The fact of the matter is a lot of people don't know enough about the available choices to make adequate decisions, but they jump in and spend loads of money before investigating the products they are buying. As a principle of my company I believe we should always look out for our customers and I try to stress that by arrangiung suitably priced systems with the specific needs of the customer in mind. However, most often our customers will insist on buying systems that are beyond their needs; more likely than not price and name stature is placed ahead of quality and performance. For example, I just sold a Pioneer plasma (a piece of equipment priced at approximately $10000) a few days ago to a lady in Richmond who decided to mount it in her garage. For a fraction of that price, she could've bought a Fujitsu or Sampo unit that would have more than performed the meanial task.

Now back on topic, I personally am not a huge Home Theatre fan, although I do have one. I have Sony ES components and a XBR 32" along with a NHT 5.1 setup. However, being an audiophile, I do have a dedicated listening room. The room consists of an old Marantz tubeamp, Sony ES SACD player, Technics record player, and Red Rose speakers & wires that I just adore. For me it's more about music than the home theatre experience, for some people it's the other way around. Sadly, most of the people who buy speakers from us can't tell a good speaker from a great speaker.

[This message has been edited by fangtl (edited 08 September 2002).]

Originally posted by fangtl:
For me it's more about music than the home theatre experience, for some people it's the other way around.

I don't understand this remark. Whether 2-channel stereo vs. whatever.1 home theatre, the whole point is reproduction accuracy, i.e., you need that in both applications and only good speakers will provide that. The distortion levels introduced by electronics is dwarfed by the distortion introduced by the audio transducers, aka speakers. Never skimp on speakers, whether in home theatre or hifi. And if you think that means spending too much money, that's wrong. I've got a nad receiver driving NHT super-zeros for the mid-hi and a powered sunfire for lows in my office and it'll put a lot of audiophile systems to shame. Of course, I opted for better stuff at home...

The room consists of an old Marantz tubeamp, Sony ES SACD player, Technics record player, and Red Rose speakers & wires that I just adore. For me it's more about music than the home theatre experience, for some people it's the other way around. Sadly, most of the people who buy speakers from us can't tell a good speaker from a great speaker.

I like the old tube amps as well. They just sound a little to warm for me. As far as speakers they are subjective. It's all a matter of what you hear, and most of the time
size is unfortunately used as the deciding factor. Some people spend mega thousands on something like Dynaudio's top of the line, so people love the sound of cerwinvega's 15"
speakers. Me I like the sound of My Vintage
JBL studio monitors being pushed by my Bryston amps. There are so many speakers out there as well as opinions. Audiophiles that are audiophiles, audiophiles that think they are audiophiles, and just like everything else they try to determine whats a good set of speakers. The missing ability they have is to get into their customers heads and hear what they hear. Can't be done. I sold and installed the stuff for a long time as well. From the 6 figure JBL Synthesis system
to the $129 dollar set of sansuis. I can't think of a customer that wasn't happy with what they chose.
Me myself I love the music and the movies.

Len
n9s5x-t

Originally posted by len3.8:
It's all a matter of what you hear, and most of the time size is unfortunately used as the deciding factor. Some people spend mega thousands on something like Dynaudio's top of the line, so people love the sound of cerwinvega's 15" speakers. Me I like the sound of My Vintage JBL studio monitors being pushed by my Bryston amps. There are so many speakers out there as well as opinions. Audiophiles that are audiophiles, audiophiles that think they are audiophiles, and just like everything else they try to determine whats a good set of speakers. The missing ability they have is to get into their customers heads and hear what they hear.

To me, the appropriate metric is vis-a-vis live performances, as opposed to customer requirements. Of course I'm not in the biz. I use season tickets to the symphony to calibrate my ears and measure speakers against that. Doesn't matter, big or small, I like speakers with good frequency response, transient response, and imaging (though in general, small speakers do those best - big ones are for the woodstock generation), but one should just choose what works best for them.

Originally posted by Number9:
To me, the appropriate metric is vis-a-vis live performances, as opposed to customer requirements. Of course I'm not in the biz. I use season tickets to the symphony to calibrate my ears and measure speakers against that. Doesn't matter, big or small, I like speakers with good frequency response, transient response, and imaging (though in general, small speakers do those best - big ones are for the woodstock generation), but one should just choose what works best for them.

Well said but a good set of bookshelfs, and
I'm assuming that's what you mean by small
may lack proper base response. So you will still end up with a sub. Now I am not old
enough to really remeber woodstock, not that I would listen to that music anyway. If I am
listening to say Branford or Wynton marsalis then a small set of speakers would be fine.
If I am listening to Loose Ends the small speakers would not be able to duplicate all of the music. The lowest of base runs which I
love so much would be left out.
Like we both have said choose whats best for them.
Or build your system to do both very well.

Len
n9s5x-t

Back