Fragile Windshields?

Do we have like really weak/fragile windshields? I was detailing my car yesterday and noticed all these small small chips all over the windshield that werent there the week before (detailed weekly) and I was wondering if we just have really weak windshields before I accuse the landscapers and go off on them for basically sand blasting it...

Mine has a lot of pitting as well after just 50k miles. But a fair number of those miles were accumulated on Colorado mountain roads. No cracks thankfully, a replacement windshield will never be as well sealed as from the factory.

Just daily driving will effectively "sandblast " the windshield.

I was thinking this was the case originally but i specifically remember getting in one day this past week and being like "damn, need to clean the windshield". I normally second guess myself to make sure but i think i will talk with the landscapers and because ive only Dailied it for about 3000 miles and i dont follow anything on the interstate

Is your windshield original? I still have my factory Honda glass and it's pretty durable. In my experience, Safelite and similar aftermarket glass is less resilient.

Has anyone had success with chip "repair" services? I have a 1/2" chip that--according to the previous owner--has been there for about 10 years. I'd like to get it fixed, but I don't know how good these services are and which outfits have the best reputation.

I've had windshield chips repaired...not in the NSX but in my daily drivers. Process isn't perfect. you will still see where the chip is. But it will be about 1/10th as noticeable and the process reduces the likelihood that the chip will grow. All in all pretty much worth the cost...which is FREE with a lot of collision/comprehensive policies.

After around just 10-12 hours total highway time NSXPO this year, I noticed 1 or 2 small pinprick marks on my windshield that weren't there before. I wondered recently about a film to slow the process of windshield chips but it doesn't seem to be talked about too much around here. Found a thread here on Prime about clearplex but it didn't say much.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...se-it-on-their-windshield?highlight=clearplex

Especially for cars not daily driven like mine, there definitely seems to be a benefit to letting a film take the brunt of things and then replace it every few years to minimize permanent windshield pitting even if a film doesn't give perfectly clear optics and shows its own pits somewhat easier and quicker than just glass. Many online comments suggest any reduction in optics are only noticeable if you look for it.

Anyone try clearplex or anything similar, or know of anyone who did?

After around just 10-12 hours total highway time NSXPO this year, I noticed 1 or 2 small pinprick marks on my windshield that weren't there before. I wondered recently about a film to slow the process of windshield chips but it doesn't seem to be talked about too much around here. Found a thread here on Prime about clearplex but it didn't say much.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...se-it-on-their-windshield?highlight=clearplex

Especially for cars not daily driven like mine, there definitely seems to be a benefit to letting a film take the brunt of things and then replace it every few years to minimize permanent windshield pitting even if a film doesn't give perfectly clear optics and shows its own pits somewhat easier and quicker than just glass. Many online comments suggest any reduction in optics are only noticeable if you look for it.

Anyone try clearplex or anything similar, or know of anyone who did?

Mayb i have this already...

And im not sure if mine is original or not, any easy way to tell? and whats the cost of a replacement windeshield if its not?

"Anyone try clearplex or anything similar, or know of anyone who did"

I put Clearplex on when I had a new OEM windshield installed. If you really look for it you can detect some very minute optical distortion but the peace of mind is worth it. Our cars are so low that it is nigh impossible not to pick up a micro-pit or even worse a visible pit on almost every highway drive.

Add that the OEM windshield is so expensive and the stress of getting someone responsible to change is almost worse it I felt it was worth a couple hundred bucks to get essentially a like new windshield every few years by simply replacing the film.

Last edited:
"Anyone try clearplex or anything similar, or know of anyone who did"

I put Clearplex on when I had a new OEM windshield installed. If you really look for it you can detect some very minute optical distortion but the peace of mind is worth it. Our cars are so low that it is nigh impossible not to pick up a micro-pit or even worse a visible pit on almost every highway drive.

Add that the OEM windshield is so expensive and the stress of getting someone responsible to change is almost worse it I felt it was worth a couple hundred bucks to get essentially a like new windshield every few years by simply replacing the film.

Many micro pits on my 91. No cracks really, and I'm sure I could use super fine steel wool and polish most of them out. At night, it's awesome. During the day in the sun, yea I can see them for sure. Eh, what are you going to do.

Many micro pits on my 91. No cracks really, and I'm sure I could use super fine steel wool and polish most of them out.

Does that really work well w/o any negative effects? I'm hesitant to try steel wool on glass. Not from any direct experience and only from what I've read and heard: the idea of micro pieces of steel floating down into crevices and later rusting or staying near rubber areas kind of scares me. Mike Phillips the auto geek detailer makes a few comments here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ng-0000-steel-wool-windshield.html#post942817

a knowledgeable member on here said a while back to never use steel wool on glass-

pbassjo
01-03-2013, 22:55​

I do not think it wise to use steel wool on your windshield or anywhere else on your car.
As it is used, wet or dry, it will break down leaving a fine powder or tiny specs of iron that in the presence of moisture will eventually rust.
You don't want that around as it will leave little rust specs wherever it sits. It can even burrow into the paint creating little orange specs that settle and dig right into the finish.
It is especially not something you would want to use on aluminum.

The only way I know to solve the thousand tiny chips that show at twilight driving into the sun is a glass replacement.

After 100k miles on my 91 I'm on oem windshield #3 .
Replaced one at 45k miles and the second at 98k miles.
I drive mostly highway miles and it seems you get sandblasting/rock chips no matter how careful you are.
There always seems to be a gravel truck somewhere spitting stones/sand as they motor along.
Or a highway truck wandering over to the shoulder or median and picking up rocks/sand and spraying everything behind it.

To minimize small glass pitting I would use a random orbital sander and a dedicated glass polish. 3M makes an excellent one, 3M Glass Polishing Compound 60150, which can be purchased directly from 3M or any major car detailing supplier.

Last edited:
After 100k miles on my 91 I'm on oem windshield #3 .
Replaced one at 45k miles and the second at 98k miles.
I drive mostly highway miles and it seems you get sandblasting/rock chips no matter how careful you are.
There always seems to be a gravel truck somewhere spitting stones/sand as they motor along.
Or a highway truck wandering over to the shoulder or median and picking up rocks/sand and spraying everything behind it.

Ah ok, this makes sense to me because i am very careful on interstates. So about how much is an oem windshield replacement?

Mine was covered by insurance so I only paid the $300 deductible but I believe the total windshield replacement cost about $850 in total.
Had to fight to get an oem windshield as most insurance companies prefer to pay for a generic replacement several hundred $ cheaper.

Mine was covered by insurance so I only paid the $300 deductible but I believe the total windshield replacement cost about $850 in total.Had to fight to get an oem windshield as most insurance companies prefer to pay for a generic replacement several hundred $ cheaper.
gotcha, appreciate the info

I made an appointment with Safelite and took my car in yesterday to fix a chip that is between 1/2 and 3/4 inch. The technician came out and told me two things: 1) The repair would be structural, not cosmetic, so it would look the same (very different from what I had seen advertised); 2) There was a 50% chance the small cracks around the edge of the chip would start to run and grow significantly once they started injecting the resin. So I decided to live with the chip.

They then quoted me on installing a new windshield: $285!! I decided they had no idea what they were getting in to and walked. I have no idea how they thought they could properly replace he windshield for that price.

I made an appointment with Safelite and took my car in yesterday to fix a chip that is between 1/2 and 3/4 inch. The technician came out and told me two things: 1) The repair would be structural, not cosmetic, so it would look the same (very different from what I had seen advertised); 2) There was a 50% chance the small cracks around the edge of the chip would start to run and grow significantly once they started injecting the resin. So I decided to live with the chip.

They then quoted me on installing a new windshield: $285!! I decided they had no idea what they were getting in to and walked. I have no idea how they thought they could properly replace he windshield for that price.

Actually, they know how to replace the NSX windshield as they did one for me. They were able to get OEM glass and the weatherstrip with clips. They do it all day long and if you took the car to a dealer or body shop they would source the work out to them. Don't assume that just because you have an NSX that you can't gets good price on a repair.

Excellent point, and I appreciated their honesty about the chip repair. But $285 for a new windshield installed?

That sounds about right. It was explained to me that they may not make a profit on the NSX, but on most every other car they do profit. Does your state mandate windshield coverage with your insurance? I know in Florida it is fully covered with zero out of pocket expense. They contract with the insurance companies at a set price and make money on doing high volumes of replacements.

you know you have an OEM sheild when it says honda... otherwise its aftermarket logo is in the center of the glass near the bottom, or near the VIN or otherside same area.

had a glass put in a customer car cuz I broke it taking off the a-pillar covers uggghh I took everything off for the glass guy as not to damage the paint etc. he put it on and I was happy.

then went to put the a-pillars back on and there was a 1 inch gap from the a-pillar to the windsheild, he has sealed it and it was dry damn it man.. called they came to replace it again.
while taking off the brand new glass it cracked I was like oh no.... he said thats why I brought another one because he was sure it would crack tring to remove it again.

anyway my 2 cents

- - - Updated - - -

im surprised targas dont crack while driving not much up there to help support it ya know and have a roll over in an NSX targa your ticket just got cashed

I've heard that Safelite bought a facility near Atlanta recently and they are actually making their own windshields. They send all the broken glass there, melt it down, turn it into what ever they need. Smart idea but I fear the quality of windshields will decrease.

Back