For those of you with Stoptech BBKs...

Are there any guys out there with StopTech BBKs who have measured the difference in weight between the StopTech and OEM components (calipers and rotors)?

Aside from the obvious advantages in braking over OEM, I'm curious to know how much unsprung weight is saved and how much it could potentially improve acceleration. It looks like I'm going to have to stay NA for now, so I'm looking to get every other performance gains I can before going FI down the road.

I am curious too, I posted in the weight loss thread the difference between the Spoon callipers and OEM ones but would really like to know the rotor weight difference on the 97+ size as am thinking about matching my Spoon callipers with Stoptech rotors

I have Rotora 330mm front/rear, {2 piece rotors}. I believe this comes to 13 inches. While the hats are aluminum the rotors are quite bigger than stock so I don't see the big weight difference myself. Calipers seem to make the difference. While much bigger, they seem much lighter than stock. Just my .02.

Last edited:
I have Rotora 330mm front/rear, {2 piece rotors}. I believe this comes to 13 inches. While the hats are aluminum the rotors are quite bigger than stock so I don't see the big weight difference myself. Calipers seem to make the difference. While much bigger, they seem much lighter than stock. Just my .02.

I agree that most of the weight savings will most likely be in the calipers. However, since rotors are unsprung rotating mass, even a small 1-2lbs weight savings per corner should noticeably improve handling and ride quality. The same is true for lighter weight wheels and tires.

Last edited:
Racing brake, makes a two piece rotor that is lighter than stock. I will eventually Replace my stock rotors with these.

Dali racing website says for 97 +
OEM Acura rotors weigh in at:

• Front: 16.15 lbs
  • Rear: 14.15lbs.
Them racy ones:

• Front: 12.18 lbs
  • Rear: 12.12 lbs

^Nice so 4 lbs per front rotor saving thats 2kgs each axle, would still love someone to weigh a Stoptech front rotor [MENTION=25599]DAYTA[/MENTION] the Spoon Callipers were 3kgs lighter per side or approx 6lbs per side so the Stoptechs will be in the same ballpark maybe lighter for their top model

Racing brake, makes a two piece rotor that is lighter than stock. I will eventually Replace my stock rotors with these.

Them racy ones:

^Nice so 4 lbs per front rotor saving thats 2kgs each axle, would still love someone to weigh a Stoptech front rotor @DAYTA the Spoon Callipers were 3kgs lighter per side or approx 6lbs per side so the Stoptechs will be in the same ballpark maybe lighter for their top model

Great, thank you both for the info!

The stock calipers and 1-pc rotors are heavy. Tim (liftnot) at Pole 2 Flag Racing weighed the Performance Friction 14" Brake system and stock:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...NSX-Brake-System-JGTC-NSX-Brakes-for-your-car

STOCK:

OEM Front Rotor: 13 lbs
OEM Front Caliper w.brackets: 12.4 lbs

OEM Rear Rotor: 13 lbs
OEM Rear Caliper w.brackets: 11.2 lbs

Performance Friction 14" Monobloc Multi-Pad brake system:

DSC_0258.jpg

PFC Front 14" Rotor: 14.6 lbs (+1.6 lbs)
PFC Front 4-Piston Caliper w.brackets: 10.4 lbs (-2 lbs)

PFC Rear 14" Rotor: 14.6 lbs (+1.6 lbs)
PFC Rear 4-Piston Caliper w.brackets: 10.2 lbs (-1 lbs)

Net 0.2 lb weight gain per corner.

Are there any guys out there with StopTech BBKs who have measured the difference in weight between the StopTech and OEM components (calipers and rotors)?

Aside from the obvious advantages in braking over OEM, I'm curious to know how much unsprung weight is saved and how much it could potentially improve acceleration. It looks like I'm going to have to stay NA for now, so I'm looking to get every other performance gains I can before going FI down the road.

If you are looking for a weight reduction as a substitute for horsepower, a big brake kit has to be one of the most expensive ways to do that. Way beyond the $ per performance increase of any FI option. If you want larger rotors because you intend to track the car or you just want the bling, then go ahead.

If you want weight reduction, better off to start with investigating the light weight battery options. Also, the weight drop associated with spending big $ to change to aluminum calipers is probably within the range that most North Americans could afford to drop by reducing their beer and fries intake!

Some of us are addicted to losing weight from the car rather than from ourselves, throwing a FI kit of some kind for more hp is not everyones goal of what a good handling car is all about and every kg saved improves the handling experience significantly. Simplify and then add lightness.

If you are looking for a weight reduction as a substitute for horsepower, a big brake kit has to be one of the most expensive ways to do that. Way beyond the $ per performance increase of any FI option. If you want larger rotors because you intend to track the car or you just want the bling, then go ahead.

If you want weight reduction, better off to start with investigating the light weight battery options. Also, the weight drop associated with spending big $ to change to aluminum calipers is probably within the range that most North Americans could afford to drop by reducing their beer and fries intake!

I have owned the exact same StopTech setup in question on my previous car (supercharged TSX) so I do have experience with it. I immediately noticed improvements in pretty much every area - acceleration, handling, ride quality, and of course braking. The differences in each area may not have been as pronounced as my other mods (i.e. going FI, adding LSD, etc), but it did make the car perform better all around. IMO, that is rare as most other modifications tend to improve only one aspect of the car.

I don't disagree that from a bang for buck perspective, a BBK wouldn't be the first choice for most. That said, I believe that they can also yield noticeable gains on a street driven car and aren't necessarily just bling.

Last edited:

Them racy ones:

If these are stock OEM sized rotors then yes they definitely would be lighter but the bigger the rotor ring they more weight your adding.

- - - Updated - - -

The stock calipers and 1-pc rotors are heavy. Tim (liftnot) at Pole 2 Flag Racing weighed the Performance Friction 14" Brake system and stock:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...NSX-Brake-System-JGTC-NSX-Brakes-for-your-car

STOCK:

OEM Front Rotor: 13 lbs
OEM Front Caliper w.brackets: 12.4 lbs

OEM Rear Rotor: 13 lbs
OEM Rear Caliper w.brackets: 11.2 lbs

Performance Friction 14" Monobloc Multi-Pad brake system:

DSC_0258.jpg

PFC Front 14" Rotor: 14.6 lbs (+1.6 lbs)
PFC Front 4-Piston Caliper w.brackets: 10.4 lbs (-2 lbs)

PFC Rear 14" Rotor: 14.6 lbs (+1.6 lbs)
PFC Rear 4-Piston Caliper w.brackets: 10.2 lbs (-1 lbs)

Net 0.2 lb weight gain per corner.

Those look fantastic. I've always liked PR brakes. I've never priced PF BBK.

Back